News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

The Central Florida Connector, was supposed to be a freeway (tolled by OOCEA) that was supposed to link FL 528 with the Downtown Orlando following the CSX tracks through  Pine Castle, Edgewood, and the eastern end of Holden Heights.  It would have interchanged with FL 528 near where Orange Avenue crosses under 528 near the infamous Rachels Club. The project was cancelled for a reason and never got going.

I heard that in liue of its cancellation there was a proposal to make FL 436 a freeway instead.  Another toll road that would go from FL 528 to FL 408 changing the current FL 436 from arterial to full grade separation.  I have no actual proof of this proposal, just that it was rumored throughout my community.  I was wondering it that thought did even enter minds of those in charge?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

Pair of NW Florida notes:

Three of the four shields at the east end of former SR 290 are now county pentagons. The southbound shield for Florida 290 west along US 90 west is the lone holdout.

Don't think I posted it on the forum, but my request to FDOT to have the missing CR 399 shields posted at the intersection of US 98 and Navarre Beach Causeway was acted upon in July. There are JCT and arrow shields in each direction now.

Posted those on the site:

https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida098/us-098_eb_at_cr-399_sb_03.jpg
https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida098/us-098_wb_app_cr-399_01.jpg
https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida098/us-098_wb_at_cr-399_sb_02.jpg

Edited to add shield photo links. - Alex

roadman65

I see FDOT listens to you as well.  I wrote them about missing shields in Tallahassee on US 90 WB at US 27 and  where US 27 NB changes alignment in front of the Capitol that were not present in 2010.  They did act on them and a year later in 2011, I saw them up.

The only thing is that they did not erect FL 61 signage as Monroe Street is also FL 61, especially south of the Capitol.  On US 90 WB there are only now US 27 shields at ground level and along Apalachee Parkway at Monroe Street they only posted a US 27 NORTH with a right arrow, but no junction of directional information for FL 61 that goes both ways on Monroe.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on September 15, 2012, 03:02:56 PM
I heard that in liue of its cancellation there was a proposal to make FL 436 a freeway instead.  Another toll road that would go from FL 528 to FL 408 changing the current FL 436 from arterial to full grade separation.  I have no actual proof of this proposal, just that it was rumored throughout my community.  I was wondering it that thought did even enter minds of those in charge?
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2002-01-17/news/0201170313_1_state-road-toll-orlando-international
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on September 15, 2012, 05:32:36 PM
I see FDOT listens to you as well.  I wrote them about missing shields in Tallahassee on US 90 WB at US 27 and  where US 27 NB changes alignment in front of the Capitol that were not present in 2010.  They did act on them and a year later in 2011, I saw them up.
I frequently write to FDOT too, as well as other local DPWs. and sometimes they listen to me. One of my more recent e-mails was about an erroneous cardinal direction sign on Sumter CR 470 just southeast of SR 44 in Rutland. I haven't been to Rutland in a while, and they didn't reply, so I have no idea if they corrected it.

On the other hand, the "US 52" sign on Pasco CR 583 at Florida SR 52 still exists to this day, as it has for nearly a decade.

florida

Quote from: Brian556 on September 15, 2012, 02:19:14 PM
What is up with the arrows on the I-95 sign? Is this a one-of-a-kind, or are there others like it?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmophotos/577524533/

I would think there should be a couple more signs of that type located in the area (want to say down at I-195). The Golden Glades Interchange is very convoluted and the crazy arrows are to show drivers that even though you're in a lane listed for SR 826, you can also use it for I-95; the purpose should be to limit sudden braking and accidents.

Quote from: Alex on September 15, 2012, 03:34:23 PM
Don't think I posted it on the forum, but my request to FDOT to have the missing CR 399 shields posted at the intersection of US 98 and Navarre Beach Causeway was acted upon in July. There are JCT and arrow shields in each direction now.

Nice to see they kept the JCT banner from the former Toll 399 shield. 
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

Rode on all of now County Road 290 and the designation is completely unsigned outside of shields on SR 289, SR 291 and US 90 (SR 10A). Shields for SR 290 at the west end (CR 95A) and the few that were posted on the mainline were simply removed (not replaced).  :thumbdown:

Edit - the newest FDOT county road shape files shows that CR-290 is off the system.

Of nearby interest, the error Florida 29 shield posted at Florida 742's west end was finally replaced with a US 29 shield.

florida

Quote from: Alex on September 30, 2012, 09:42:37 PM
Rode on all of now County Road 290 and the designation is completely unsigned outside of shields on SR 289, SR 291 and US 90 (SR 10A). Shields for SR 290 at the west end (CR 95A) and the few that were posted on the mainline were simply removed (not replaced).  :thumbdown:

Edit - the newest FDOT county road shape files shows that CR-290 is off the system.

Of nearby interest, the error Florida 29 shield posted at Florida 742's west end was finally replaced with a US 29 shield.

They actually signed it as CR 290 along the other two major roadways (SRs 289 & 291)?

Alex

Quote from: florida on October 03, 2012, 03:34:03 PM

They actually signed it as CR 290 along the other two major roadways (SRs 289 & 291)?

Saw the backs of pentagons on both SR 289 and SR 291. I'll get out there soon to document them before they disappear. What is annoying is the only reference marker (the JCT FL-290 shield) I had to direct people to my Dad's off US 90 is gone. Now I'd have to say "um, turn before the traffic light at Olive Road".

florida

Quote from: Alex on October 03, 2012, 05:28:42 PM

Saw the backs of pentagons on both SR 289 and SR 291. I'll get out there soon to document them before they disappear. What is annoying is the only reference marker (the JCT FL-290 shield) I had to direct people to my Dad's off US 90 is gone. Now I'd have to say "um, turn before the traffic light at Olive Road".

Didn't SR 291 have BGSs with shields for Olive Road, too? I just can't believe they opted to sign 290 as a CR, then completely remove the shields and take it off the system. The road is still important, no?

Alex

Quote from: florida on October 10, 2012, 10:07:22 PM
Quote from: Alex on October 03, 2012, 05:28:42 PM

Didn't SR 291 have BGSs with shields for Olive Road, too? I just can't believe they opted to sign 290 as a CR, then completely remove the shields and take it off the system. The road is still important, no?

Yes, there are sign bridges posted along SR 291 (Davis Highway) northbound ahead of Olive Road / University Parkway. I will check it out soon and see if the SR shields were greened out with pentagons or simply covered with blanks.

florida

Quote from: Alex on October 10, 2012, 10:33:14 PM
Yes, there are sign bridges posted along SR 291 (Davis Highway) northbound ahead of Olive Road / University Parkway. I will check it out soon and see if the SR shields were greened out with pentagons or simply covered with blanks.

It will be interesting if they just covered them with blanks.

The only changes to the Florida SHS was the realignment of SR 429 at CR 437A, SR 414 and SR 451...and the very slight realignment of North Blvd in Leesburg. But it seems like they kept SR 25 as the southbound one-way "ramp" between Williams St to north of Hill St and added New SR 525 to carry US 27 two-way traffic along the realigned section up to US 441 for a distance of 0.234 miles.

NE2

New signs for the SR 414-429 extension (first from the north end at US 441, second from the CR 437 overpass):

This seems to indicate that the yellow toll is only for approaches from free roads.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on October 21, 2012, 11:09:31 AM
This seems to indicate that the yellow toll is only for approaches from free roads.

That was my understanding of how Florida was implementing it, but I know I've seen yellow banners on toll-toll interchanges. Down in Miami they use yellow banners to sign exits from the Turnpike onto MDX roads. Maybe interagency interchanges use yellow banners also? I know I've seen it in Orlando also but I can't think where. Maybe it was at an OOCEA-FTE interchange.

realjd

The "Fairbanks Curve" on I-4 in Orlando was in the news again today. They're still working on making it so people don't crash every time it rains there. More info here:

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/10/23/crews_work_to_improv.html

It seems that the grooves in the concrete they put down didn't work, so they're grinding down the grooves and putting asphalt over it as a stopgap until the completely rework and widen the road in 2014. Maybe they'll finally add the express toll lanes they've been talking about for years...

Ace10

Quote from: realjd on October 23, 2012, 08:08:54 AM

That was my understanding of how Florida was implementing it, but I know I've seen yellow banners on toll-toll interchanges. Down in Miami they use yellow banners to sign exits from the Turnpike onto MDX roads. Maybe interagency interchanges use yellow banners also? I know I've seen it in Orlando also but I can't think where. Maybe it was at an OOCEA-FTE interchange.

That's correct. Here are a few photos from the last time I was in the area (21 June 2011). The photo quality is nasty, but that's the best I could do at the time.

(Below) Florida's Turnpike Homestead Extension (SR 821) Exit 17 to SR 874. (The file name incorrectly references SR 91. Oops.)

(Below) SR 874 to SR 878. Notice the SR 874 pull-through/reassurance shield has a yellow banner as well.

The only other time I've seen yellow toll banners on a non toll road were for SR 528 on SR 520, Florida's Turnpike Homestead Extension (SR 821) on I-75 Southbound, and a few trailblazers near SR 408 and SR 429 at rebuilt intersections.

NE2

Must be a different policy for MDX and FTE.

Alex

A new 1.6-mile roadway will be constructed starting October 26 and running through summer 2014 on the east side of Quincy. The two-lane roadway will connect U.S. 90 at Ralph Strong Road with Florida 12 by Quincy Municipal Airport. You can see the projected path on Google Maps when zoomed in enough to see the parcel data.

From the FDOT District 3 Twitter page:

QuoteConstruction of the new 1.6-mile Quincy Bypass in Gadsden County is scheduled to begin Friday, Oct. 26. http://ow.ly/d/RhT

formulanone

Silly question about Collier County Road 31 (Airport-Pulling Road):

Did this road have a previous designation before the Second Great Renumbering era (1977-83)? Seems odd because it doesn't connect in any way to FL31, it isn't really long enough to justify having only two-digits, but it isn't that far off The Grid. Why duplicate the number? Was this because having a 951 and an 851 was confusing enough, thus an available "831" was avoided?

I I know this is a rather obscure and trivial question, but I found it odd when I was wandering about the Naples area...

(edit for smartphone editing difficulties)

florida

Quote from: realjd on October 23, 2012, 08:08:54 AM

There is also a yellow banner SR 869 on I-595 west.

florida

Quote from: formulanone on October 24, 2012, 10:35:22 AM
Silly question about Collier County Road 31 (Airport-Pulling Road):

Did this road have a previous designation before the Second Great Renumbering era (1977-83)? Seems odd because it doesn't connect in any way to FL31, it isn't really long enough to justify having only two-digits, but it isn't that far off The Grid. Why duplicate the number? Was this because having a 951 and an 851 was confusing enough, thus an available "831" was avoided?

I I know this is a rather obscure and trivial question, but I found it odd when I was wandering about the Naples area...

(edit for smartphone editing difficulties)

Ready for some history?

1967:
SR 31 went from Golden Gate, which was SR 951 to the west, and SR 951 to the south along Airport-Pulling, up to 846. There was a spur along Pine Ridge going west to either Goodlette-Frank (SR 951) OR to US 41.

SR 951 was on Airport-Pulling from presumably Radio Road to Golden Gate. (Also along Goodlette-Frank and possibly Pine Ridge for 0.5 miles.)

SR 858 was on Fern, Thomasson, Bayshore, [US 41 overlap?], and Airport-Pulling up to presumably Radio Road the switch-off to SR 951/Airport-Pulling.

This stayed the same until the whole thing was renumbered S-31 in 1976.

---
Other exciting routes gone include 838 on Alligator Alley, the overuse of 858 in Naples, 951A, 951B, and a second 862.

DeaconG

Looks like they're going to start work on the final stretch of I-95 that hasn't been six-laned yet, from SR 406 (Garden Street) in Titusville to SR 44 at New Smyrna Beach:

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20121029/NEWS01/310290006/Work-ready-start-95-widening-north-Titusville?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|s

The six laning of I-95 between SR 528 and SR 406 is progressing, they've finally started working on the last sections on both sides of SR 50 (from SR 407 North to SR 50 and from Fox Lake Road south) and the overpass there is progressing quite well.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

realjd

Quote from: DeaconG on October 29, 2012, 08:34:55 PM
Looks like they're going to start work on the final stretch of I-95 that hasn't been six-laned yet, from SR 406 (Garden Street) in Titusville to SR 44 at New Smyrna Beach:

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20121029/NEWS01/310290006/Work-ready-start-95-widening-north-Titusville?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|s

The six laning of I-95 between SR 528 and SR 406 is progressing, they've finally started working on the last sections on both sides of SR 50 (from SR 407 North to SR 50 and from Fox Lake Road south) and the overpass there is progressing quite well.

It's still 4 lanes between SR 514 and SR70, although they're working on the Brevard portion down to the IRC line and the portion just north of 70.

roadman65

I hear that FDOT finally has plans to widen the rest of I-4 from SR 44 to I-95 as that is the only part of I-4 now that is four lanes still.  In the works, they plan to relocate the US 92 connector so that it will exit from the right.

I guess now the left side exits (except for freeway to freeway or concurrency splits) are a thing of the past.  In some places people are upset about it, especially for years when they were used to driving one way and now they have to learn a new pattern of driving.  The relocation of the EB FL 408 to NB FL 417 from left to right did not go well with commuters when it was first implimented and I am sure the new FL 429 & FL 414 interchange is causing some to lose sleep until the permanent FL 429 is opened.

To me left side merges are more of a hassle than the exits.  I lived in NJ for years and try entering the Pulaski Skyway in Jersey City from Truck US 1 & 9 where you not only merge from the left, but you have a very limited sight distance as well and NO acceleration lane either.  I think that making exits a standard on where they should be is a good step as most people travel at speeds of 65 mph or higher on freeways, especially the left lane being the "fast lane."  You will always get that Sunday driver as you call them, and mix them in with texters, tourists, and ignorant drivers slow down to 45 mph or slower in those lanes to have  a conflict with the free flowing drivers of the left side.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on November 25, 2012, 07:39:03 PM
I hear that FDOT finally has plans to widen the rest of I-4 from SR 44 to I-95 as that is the only part of I-4 now that is four lanes still.
Uh, construction has already begun...
http://www.cflroads.com/Project/Details/38/408464-1_I-4_widening_from_SR_44_to_East_of_I-95

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.