News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Drove through Tampa yesterday and checked out progress at the north end of the Crosstown Connector: https://www.aaroads.com/blog/2012/11/26/crosstown-connector-update/

Also saw a flashing yellow arrow (FYA) for the first time in Florida on U.S. 41/SR 44 north in Iverness:

New since July 10, 2011.

NE2

Has FDOT taken over the Osceola Parkway from OBT to the Turnpike? They have videolog footage of it (92514000): http://www3.dot.state.fl.us/videolog/default.asp

[edit] never mind - I think they get footage of SIS components.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

This had to be stated. Sisco Dirt Road is now paved (but the name is the same)!

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

Wekiva Parkway construction should begin in February.

QuoteConstruction could start in Lake in February, but only if crews can safely move gopher tortoises that are in the way. About 260 burrows have been found, said Steve Olson, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Transportation.

Expected to cost $1.6 billion, the parkway was first talked about during the 1970s, when transportation planners began discussing ways to bypass downtown Orlando.

The state is turning dirt first largely because it has decided to simultaneously design and build a 3.1-mile section of the project. That part should cost almost $23 million and be complete within two years.

The parkway is slated to be complete by 2021 when the connection with I-4 (most expensive section) is finished.

DAL764

Short question about I-95 at Airport Road at Jacksonville International Airport:

I recently found an old printout from an article from 1998 that mentioned the possibilty of a flyover being constructed from I-95NB to Airport Road allowing people to avoid the loop ramp and the Duval Road intersection. Obviously so far nothing has happened here, but I'd like to know, is a flyover like that still being considered, or any other changes to the exit in general?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: DAL764 on December 24, 2012, 06:30:47 AM
Short question about I-95 at Airport Road at Jacksonville International Airport:

I recently found an old printout from an article from 1998 that mentioned the possibilty of a flyover being constructed from I-95NB to Airport Road allowing people to avoid the loop ramp and the Duval Road intersection. Obviously so far nothing has happened here, but I'd like to know, is a flyover like that still being considered, or any other changes to the exit in general?

If anything was still on the books for improvemnts at that interchange, I think the time is past.  Especially since that new mall is now opened on the East side of the interchange.  If they had wanted to do anything, they should have done it when they widened Duval Road there.  So, the only thing they might have left that could be done is convert the interchange into a proper diamond interchange and have all NB traffic use one ramp + traffic light and eliminate that nasty loop.

NE2

SR 243 (I-295 exit 33) is probably a better route to the airport during peak traffic.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on December 24, 2012, 11:14:32 AM
SR 243 (I-295 exit 33) is probably a better route to the airport during peak traffic.

It is.  The traffic lights @ Duval and Airport are really bad since each service road needs a light, and they don't have them timed really well (well, at least they didn't the last time I was there).  The traffic can build up really bad on Duval (coming from the South of that intersection) and can sometimes take 2-3 light cycles to get passed the light.

formulanone

Just noticed a bunch of new "recreation and cultural interest" (big brown signs) along northbound I-95 in Palm Beach County are using Clearview. I didn't get any shots, but they seem quite recent, as I was up that way just two weeks ago.

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on December 24, 2012, 11:14:32 AM

SR 243 is only signed as a control destination on mileage signs on 295. 

NE2

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on January 06, 2013, 11:00:31 PM
Check out the proposed Sunshine State Parkway to Jacksonville:

"For transportation to Havana, Cuba make inquiry at Miami or Key West"  :cool:  :coffee:

Nice find! Quite a bit of it is still accurate, as most of the secondary roads seem to still have the same numbers in most places. If you don't like the limited-access stuff, or don't plan on visiting any towns built since 1956, it would serve as a usable map today.

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on January 07, 2013, 07:27:18 PM

"For transportation to Havana, Cuba make inquiry at Miami or Key West"  :cool:  :coffee:

Nice find! Quite a bit of it is still accurate, as most of the secondary roads seem to still have the same numbers in most places. If you don't like the limited-access stuff, or don't plan on visiting any towns built since 1956, it would serve as a usable map today.
Ditto on that.

I see that Kennedy Parkway in KSC was a public highway, and extension of current FL 3 and Playlinda Beach was a town and not  a National Seashore.

Also, FL 40 went to New Smyrna and not Ormond Beach and US 27 was incomplete from Haines City to Lake Wales.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

In 1951, US 27 was incomplete north to Leesburg:

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~212025~5500185:Shell-Highway-Map-Southeastern-Sect

Old county maps show that it used 17-540-555-557 between Lake Wales and Polk City:

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00016439/00001/1x?vo=3

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2013, 09:00:12 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 07, 2013, 07:27:18 PM

Ditto on that.

I see that Kennedy Parkway in KSC was a public highway, and extension of current FL 6 and Playlinda Beach was a town and not  a National Seashore.

Also, FL 40 went to New Smyrna and not Ormond Beach and US 27 was incomplete from Haines City to Lake Wales.

There are several towns that were torn down when they built KSC. Supposedly you can still see the remnants of them if you know where to look in the NWR.

xcellntbuy

The construction of express lanes will be coming to Interstate 75 and FL 826 (Palmetto Expressway) in south Florida in the next year.  If our members are interested, please follow the hypertext below.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-75-express-20130107,0,3185919.story

wriddle082

Was wondering how they are coming along with the 6-lane widening of I-75 in the Ft. Myers-Naples area.  Are there any immediate plans to widen it up to Venice where it is currently 6 lanes north to Tampa?

I haven't been back down there since 2009, and the family is way overdue a trip back to see a sunset over the Gulf.

formulanone

Quote from: xcellntbuy on January 08, 2013, 01:16:58 PMThe construction of express lanes will be coming to Interstate 75 and FL 826 (Palmetto Expressway) in south Florida in the next year.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of glad the Palmetto is getting tolled in this way, because the rare times I take the 826, some chucklehead is plodding around doing 50-55mph (at best), in his clapped-out work van.

By contrast, I never thought I-75 was all that badly congested, even during rush hours; unless there's a bad accident. Seems like a money grab, to me. This essentially makes every north-south expressway in Dade/Broward a toll road, without actually resolving any of those specific transportation problems in the area.

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 08, 2013, 10:08:36 PM
Was wondering how they are coming along with the 6-lane widening of I-75 in the Ft. Myers-Naples area.  Are there any immediate plans to widen it up to Venice where it is currently 6 lanes north to Tampa?

The last section of I-75 (excluding Alligator Alley) that wasn't six-laned was from CR 776 near Port Charlotte to FL 681, and much of that was under construction as of mid-2011.

wriddle082

Quote from: formulanone on January 08, 2013, 10:35:47 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on January 08, 2013, 10:08:36 PM

The last section of I-75 (excluding Alligator Alley) that wasn't six-laned was from CR 776 near Port Charlotte to FL 681, and much of that was under construction as of mid-2011.

OK that's about 33 miles.  Not bad, considering I think they were only working on it in the Ft. Myers vicinity back in 2009.  Since 2007, my preferred route from SC to Ft. Myers has been I-26 - I-95 - I-4 - US 27 - FL 29 - FL 80.  If it's less of a pain to go through SW FL on 75 now, I'll start going I-26 - I-95 - I-295 - I-10 - US 301 - (backroads N of Ocala) - I-75.

NE2

http://www.i75onthego.com/

Also note that US 17 is now four-laned between Haines City and Zolfo Springs, and about half south to Punta Gorda. So you could go via Orlando and hop off I-4 at US 27 or CR 557. This is shorter than your proposed route by 20 miles and your current route by 15 miles.

PS: the best way to connect north of Ocala is SR 326.

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on January 08, 2013, 11:25:01 PM

Also note that US 17 is now four-laned between Haines City and Zolfo Springs, and about half south to Punta Gorda. So you could go via Orlando and hop off I-4 at US 27 or CR 557. This is shorter than your proposed route by 20 miles and your current route by 15 miles.

The exit for SR326 should have at least a supplementary sign directing travelers to 301... unless they want to keep traffic on I-75.  The exit from I-75 doesnt even have a control city... which is odd since 326 is the northern bypass of Ocala

Alex

H/T Gene J.

Dale Mabry exit off southbound I-275 closes

QuoteExit 41A, which looped drivers from southbound Interstate 275 onto southbound Dale Mabry Highway, closed this morning.

QuoteCommuters exiting onto Dale Mabry will take the former exit 41B, which will now be labeled 41A/B. It will have four turn lanes — two heading southbound and two northbound.

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation closed the ramp because it needs the land for interstate reconstruction, said FDOT spokesman John McShaffrey.

The closure of the exit ramp is a part of the larger reconstruction of I-275. This phase starts at the Hillsborough River, heads south to Memorial Highway and includes northbound I-275. It's all expected to be completed in the fall of 2016.

wriddle082

Quote from: jwolfer on January 09, 2013, 11:10:16 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 08, 2013, 11:25:01 PM

The exit for SR326 should have at least a supplementary sign directing travelers to 301... unless they want to keep traffic on I-75.  The exit from I-75 doesnt even have a control city... which is odd since 326 is the northern bypass of Ocala

When the family and I went to Tampa a couple of years ago for a medical convention, the Garmin routed us through the middle of Ocala down 301 and FL 200 to get to I-75 (which worked out well at the time since we stopped at a Taco Bell).  On the return trip, it sent us to FL 326 and that county road back to 301.  I think there may have been "TO US 301" signage on FL 326, but not on the I-75 off-ramp.

D-Dey65

Check out the proposed Sunshine State Parkway to Jacksonville

Wow. Instead of running through Wildwood, it would've ran through Orange Home, Belleview, near Silver Springs, part of SR 21, always east of US 301, and actually ending northeast of Jacksonville.

"Tisonia?"

jcarte29

Is Orlando really only "served" by ONE interstate?! (I-4)
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.