News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: jcarte29 on January 15, 2013, 10:50:17 PM
Is Orlando really only "served" by ONE interstate?! (I-4)
Does Orlando really "need" another one?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

exit322

Quote from: NE2 on January 15, 2013, 11:43:17 PM

If they weren't willing to build toll roads in and around Orlando to meet demand, then yes, they'd need another one (and to be fair, in most states what is Florida's Turnpike would've ended up as an interstate as well)...but as it stands, it doesn't appear they really need another one, beyond maybe an x04 in the future.

Alex

Quote from: exit322 on January 16, 2013, 09:32:09 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 15, 2013, 11:43:17 PM

If they weren't willing to build toll roads in and around Orlando to meet demand, then yes, they'd need another one (and to be fair, in most states what is Florida's Turnpike would've ended up as an interstate as well)...but as it stands, it doesn't appear they really need another one, beyond maybe an x04 in the future.

It is not a bad question really when you think about it. But having lived there, I can say that the network of toll roads serve the purpose of additional Interstates. Once one gets a Sunpass, one can factor in a toll bill as part of commuting life there... In a sense Florida's Turnpike is your default north-south Interstate and FL 528 kind of acts as your would be I-104 spur to the east. There is no need to go due north due to Ocala National Forest and heading west is Lake County and SR 50 serves that role considering there is so much sprawl there now. A new route south (an extension of the toll road network has been proposed), and that is needed for the continued growth along the US 27 corridor. However a toll road would suffice again, as you are not getting a lot of long distance travel to Lake Okeechobee that would make you think "Interstate highway".

Being a road guy, for fun sometimes I internally referred to FL-417 as I-204, FL-429 as I-404 and FL-408 as I-604. I have a flash bulb memory of the East-West Expressway trailblazers with the orange on I-4 overheads from childhood, but otherwise for me the state road numbers have always been easily associated with the limited access highway network.

D-Dey65

I don't remember whether I've posted this here or not, but I've seen these signs on one local street in Brooksville for years.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:When_Emergency_Signals_Flashing_Do_Not_Proceed_(North).JPG

That's Stafford Avenue underneath the CSX Brooksville Subdivision.

xcellntbuy

Video news update on the huge ($1 biliion) ramp reconfiguration between FL 826 (Palmetto Expressway) and FL 836 (Dolphin Expressway) in Miami-Dade County that may be of interest to our members:

http://www.local10.com/news/New-exit-from-SR-836-to-826-to-open/-/1717324/18166022/-/rbj798/-/index.html

DeaconG

Just a quick update of the I-95 widening project in Brevard County...

The widening of the bridge over SR 50 is complete and traffic is using the new inner lanes from Fox Lake Road southbound to the Addison Canal bridge, while grading is being done on the last section to be completed, from the Addison Canal south to just north of the Range Road overpass; and the repaving of the outer lanes is in progress.

The modifications to the SR 407 interchange are moving along, they've got signs posted on the exit ramps pointing out directions to either Orlando or KSC.

In addition, FDOT is resigning several interchanges with overhead signs; they've already done Fiske Blvd and are in the process of doing the interchanges at Port St. John Parkway and SR 407.

They expect to be done by June of this year.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

NE2

Quote from: DeaconG on January 19, 2013, 07:10:31 PM
The modifications to the SR 407 interchange are moving along, they've got signs posted on the exit ramps pointing out directions to either Orlando or KSC.
Have the new left turns opened to traffic?

[edit]The new SR 414-429 extension/realignment around Apopka opened today: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.668&lon=-81.534&zoom=14&layers=M
I'll check it out in a few weeks and get pics.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DeaconG

Quote from: NE2 on January 19, 2013, 09:24:03 PM
Have the new left turns opened to traffic?

[edit]The new SR 414-429 extension/realignment around Apopka opened today: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.668&lon=-81.534&zoom=14&layers=M
I'll check it out in a few weeks and get pics.

Not yet, they've got a layer of ashphalt on them but they haven't finished the landscaping yet.  They don't look like they're in that much of a hurry.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

realjd

The widening of the bridge over SR 50 is complete and traffic is using the new inner lanes from Fox Lake Road southbound to the Addison Canal bridge, while grading is being done on the last section to be completed, from the Addison Canal south to just north of the Range Road overpass; and the repaving of the outer lanes is in progress.

In addition, FDOT is resigning several interchanges with overhead signs; they've already done Fiske Blvd and are in the process of doing the interchanges at Port St. John Parkway and SR 407.

IIRC, there was one non-overhead sign left at the Fiske interchange.  That one was right at the boundary between the widening projects. I'm pretty sure it was overlooked (not included on either contract) and FDOT is just getting around to fixing that.

NE2

Florida tried to get US 231 on the Interstate system back in 1956 (as well as US 41 from Tampa to Miami and US 1 from Miami to Homestead): http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qyYTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0wQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4542,537107

Apparently the Orange Blossom Trail stretched "over 655 miles from the Georgia line north of Lake City to Key West", via US (41?-)441-17/92-27-1.

BamaZeus

In a way I'm kinda surprised 231 didn't get upgraded to I-10 as a hurricane relief route, if for nothing else.  Of course, I'd love to see it interstate-grade all the way to Montgomery, but that's another project altogether.

roadman65

Quote from: realjd on January 20, 2013, 10:27:46 PM

IIRC, there was one non-overhead sign left at the Fiske interchange.  That one was right at the boundary between the widening projects. I'm pretty sure it was overlooked (not included on either contract) and FDOT is just getting around to fixing that.
Will they fix that?  If you notice on SB I-95 at FL 40, they overlooked the overhead sign there and it still has the two original guides at ground level omitting "Ocala" where it, still, has to be on an auxillary sign with Silver Springs.  It has been quite a few years since it was widened through Ormond Beach.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2013, 10:01:47 PM
Quote from: realjd on January 20, 2013, 10:27:46 PM
Will they fix that?  If you notice on SB I-95 at FL 40, they overlooked the overhead sign there and it still has the two original guides at ground level omitting "Ocala" where it, still, has to be on an auxillary sign with Silver Springs.  It has been quite a few years since it was widened through Ormond Beach.

They're in the process of fixing it last time I drove by. They had the footer poured and the metal pole assembly was lying next to the road.

jwolfer

I-95 is being reconstructed just south of Downtown Jax... Constructions starts tonight.  I like how the exit for Atlantic Blvd will be a full interchange.  I also like how Philips Hwy and Kings Ave will be aligned better.  Now the Northbound side goes under I-95 but SB is lined up.  I am not sure if US1/90 will still be signed on Kings Ave.  I understand the official routing of 1/90 multiplexes w 95 but it is not signed on the expressway but on the surface streets

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2013-01-22/story/construction-begins-158-million-project-i-95-south-downtown

http://www.i95overlandbridge.com/

NE2

Interesting - looks like Philips is being de-emphasized as a through route.

http://www.i95overlandbridge.com/Documents/10052012/Project_Layout.pdf does a better job of showing the Atlantic/Barbara intersection (which isn't changing functionally).

The northbound braiding was indeed present in the original configuration, but removed at some point after I-95 came in: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071741/00010/39x?vo=32&vp=2113,2072&n=palmm http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071741/00015/10x?vo=32&vp=4051,1019&n=palmm

D-Dey65

Quote from: BamaZeus on January 21, 2013, 12:52:20 PM
In a way I'm kinda surprised 231 didn't get upgraded to I-10 as a hurricane relief route, if for nothing else.  Of course, I'd love to see it interstate-grade all the way to Montgomery, but that's another project altogether.
You know, Jackson County's official website incorrectly names it "Interstate 231."
http://www.jacksoncounty.com/campbellton-florida.html

:meh:  :hmmm: (duh) :confused:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jwolfer on January 23, 2013, 03:40:13 PM
I am not sure if US1/90 will still be signed on Kings Ave.  I understand the official routing of 1/90 multiplexes w 95 but it is not signed on the expressway but on the surface streets

I was talking to FDOT about this when the early signage plans came out for this project back in July (mainly because I didn't want to see an error sign like this on I-10 to show up directing people to US-17/FL-228's old alignments when they are on I-10/I-95 now in that area).  The plan IS to put US-1/US-90 onto I-95 officially once and for all in that area.  The down side is that FL-5 will NOT become signed when incorrect US-1/US-90 signage is removed. :(

NE2

Sigh. Another independent U.S. Route alignment bites the dust.

clef

Brian556

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on January 27, 2013, 10:00:39 PM
Look at these odd signs. It looks loke the US Highway 441 sign is so deformed it deos not have a middle point.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=28.807508,-81.675324&spn=0.000038,0.025063&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=28.807461,-81.675499&panoid=xxqdqiDv54pau5tT4Uh84g&cbp=12,95.64,,0,0
It most certainly has a middle point. Looks like there's a gray sticker over it.

Alps

clef

Quote from: Steve on January 27, 2013, 10:12:53 PM
Best first post ever.

There is another one from the other direction.

formulanone

Quote from: clef on January 28, 2013, 12:10:23 AM
Quote from: Steve on January 27, 2013, 10:12:53 PM
Best first post ever.

There is another one from the other direction.

Oooh! Town's name, please?

In somewhat unfortunate news, I visited Test Track at Epcot this weekend, hoping to catch a glimpse of the "miner's spade" Florida 97 shield, but with the remodeling, it's no longer visible. For those that have been on it before, there was once a green California state highway sign, essentially to exact specs,  with the word Florida in place of California (the number 97 denoted 1997, when the ride was opened to the public). The ride is a little longer, with more outdoor time, but even this car-geek feels the first half is a lot more sterile.

On the other side of the same park, Canada's musical show has a Trans Canadian Highway 1 shield on display.

agentsteel53

interesting how the red 1 is much less faded than the red crown of the 95.

I'll bet someone is using up the last of the red 1 shields, and it's a fairly recent replacement.

my guess is it's somewhere near this set:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.