News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: clef on February 01, 2013, 10:54:08 PM
I've had a very busy week but I'll try and snap them. Meanwhile where are the remaining color US 98s? I found one on street view but I don't know if it's known.

There are up to 15 remaining from Panama City Beach east to Perry. I can pass along their locations if you are interested.

clef

Quote from: Alex on February 02, 2013, 10:15:02 AM
Quote from: clef on February 01, 2013, 10:54:08 PM
I've had a very busy week but I'll try and snap them. Meanwhile where are the remaining color US 98s? I found one on street view but I don't know if it's known.

There are up to 15 remaining from Panama City Beach east to Perry. I can pass along their locations if you are interested.

Sure, I've found one or two out that way. But I also just stumbled across one that's not in the panhandle.

clef

One of two remaining Cecil B. Sawgrass signs (that I know of.) The grass behind him is mostly faded on both.

Error FL-441 shield on FL-736 EB, found it by accident yesterday. There used to be several of these around Broward but most have been replaced. There are also some error FL-441s amidst the construction on I-595.

and...
Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 31, 2013, 12:27:05 PM

IIRC that is the last six-keys shield in the wild, unless a pair of FL-50s still survives.

Seemingly (obviously) predates I-595 since the bus stop sign looks like it replaced a left arrow. Turning left onto FL-84 WB hasn't been possible in a few decades. Looks like there are six-key shields in at least three spots ;)

I drove by the red US 1 that I posted last week, again. There is a sticker on the back but it's going to be difficult to get a good look at it. It (and its counterpart) do look pretty new...

formulanone

Clef, thanks for posting these!

Quote from: clef on February 04, 2013, 07:47:24 PM

One of two remaining Cecil B. Sawgrass signs (that I know of.) The grass behind him is mostly faded on both.

So that's the other one. Heard about, never saw it. Seems to be in a residential neighborhood.

Quote from: clef

Seemingly (obviously) predates I-595 since the bus stop sign looks like it replaced a left arrow. Turning left onto FL-84 WB hasn't been possible in a few decades. Looks like there are six-key shields in at least three spots ;

Haven't seen one of those orange BCt signs in about 15 years, either! Now I have a pretty good idea where that is...been meaning to check it out.

roadman65

Quote from: clef on February 04, 2013, 07:47:24 PM

Error FL-441 shield on FL-736 EB, found it by accident yesterday. There used to be several of these around Broward but most have been replaced. There are also some error FL-441s amidst the construction on I-595.

Send the sign 270 miles north to Daytona Beach.  There is a current FL 441 running along the east shore of the Halifax River.

SNIP unnecessary photos...
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Found the SR 84 signs in Street View...will get a shot of it on my way back from the airport.

agentsteel53

Quote from: clef on February 02, 2013, 10:30:37 AM

Sure, I've found one or two out that way. But I also just stumbled across one that's not in the panhandle.

there is one in West Palm Beach, as of December 2009.  I had thought it was on US-1 southbound, but Google Street View shows modern shields for both the JCT and the arrows assembly.

I do remember remarking "is that on a state highway?  wow". 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

florida

I'm very impressed, clef! Last June, I was down in the area and made it a point to completely clinch SR 84 in Broward County, but obviously I passed right by these signs! (And got photos of the 84 Diner instead, ha ha.)
So many roads...so little time.

NE2

Saw a new arrow-per-lane sign today, likely put up by Disney to replace this one. The left side now includes Toll 417, with a slightly nonstandard shield (making me think it's a Disney job).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mefailenglish

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 05, 2013, 12:12:23 PM
there is one in West Palm Beach, as of December 2009.  I had thought it was on US-1 southbound, but Google Street View shows modern shields for both the JCT and the arrows assembly.
It was there until Sept 2010 at least (that's when I got a picture of it) but it's definitely gone now.

And thanks Clef for the photos.

formulanone

Here's the SR 84 signs Clef posted; they're definitely still around. I too a photo last night:

Here's a full-size copy [2.6 MB], showing the deteriorating reflective sheeting (which makes me wonder how old it really is, I didn't see any date on the backs of the signs).

The Four-keys shields didn't seem to use the reflective stuff, but maybe all the ones I've seen in the field have just worn off, since they appear to be more or less hand-painted. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, of course. If so, nice job using an old standard for a template!

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on February 07, 2013, 07:31:24 PM
Saw a new arrow-per-lane sign today, likely put up by Disney to replace this one. The left side now includes Toll 417, with a slightly nonstandard shield (making me think it's a Disney job).

Nonstandard how? FDOT has some pretty fugly toll shields along I-4, like the square-ish one for the 417 on I-4 EB.

I always assumed the green signs were FDOT and not Disney since they were green and not purple, and they used normal shields and not the cartoony Disney stylized ones.

roadman65

The new FL 417 exit signs on EB FL 408 are the same as the replacement ones that you mention.  I have also seen some elsewhere in some photos someplace.  I wanna say where, but I cannot remember who posted them and where, but I am sure that person is a user and will let us know soon. 

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: realjd on February 12, 2013, 07:46:43 PM
Nonstandard how? FDOT has some pretty fugly toll shields along I-4, like the square-ish one for the 417 on I-4 EB.
Can't remember exactly.

Quote from: roadman65 on February 12, 2013, 07:58:43 PM
I wanna say Alanland, but I cannot remember who posted them and where, but I am sure that unperson is a goat and will let us know soon. 
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2017.msg180539#msg180539

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

I like the ones on I-
Quote from: realjd on February 12, 2013, 07:46:43 PM

I always assumed the green signs were FDOT and not Disney since they were green and not purple, and they used normal shields and not the cartoony Disney stylized ones.
I like the "fugly" ones you mention on Westbound I-4 at FL 528.

Sheryl Crowe

florida

Another section of SR 559 has been added from SR 655 north to approximately 900 feet south of Derby Ave (CR 544A). [10/30]

SR 56 has officially been added from SR 581 to Meadow Pointe Blvd. [12/14]

NE2

Quote from: florida on February 13, 2013, 05:42:57 PM
Another section of SR 559 has been added from SR 655 north to approximately 900 feet south of Derby Ave (CR 544A). [10/30]
Opened at the end of 2011: http://www.theledger.com/article/20111228/news/111229309
One of these days I'll go check it out.

florida

Quote from: NE2 on February 13, 2013, 05:57:44 PM
Quote from: florida on February 13, 2013, 05:42:57 PM
Opened at the end of 2011: http://www.theledger.com/article/20111228/news/111229309
One of these days I'll go check it out.

It's still pending transfer between CR 544A and US 92(& other SR 559). Was this to alleviate congestion between Recker Hwy and Main Street on US 92?

NE2

NE2

New photos of the SR 429 realignment and SR 408-417 reconfiguration:

More at http://www.flickr.com/photos/41203461@N00/

D-Dey65

FDOT Region #7 has a big construction project for SR 50 right now, and they have a sign eastbound which reads Junction Hernando County Road 583. The trouble is, that sign is past Hernando County Road 583!

:eyebrow: :poke:  :crazy:

Brian556

QuoteFDOT Region #7 has a big construction project for SR 50 right now, and they have a sign eastbound which reads Junction Hernando County Road 583. The trouble is, that sign is past Hernando County Road 583!

This is kinda like on I-35E in Corinth, Tx; where the FM 2181 exit was moved back in 2006, but the "Corinth Next 4 Exits" sign was not moved, so it's now after the first Corith exit (FM 2181).

cpzilliacus

NewGeography.com: How We Should Navigate the Florida Archipelago

QuoteLeafy, timeless rural routes and monotonous, flat highways have characterized Florida's network of state roads since the early 20th century. Vacationers in the Sunshine State either stick to the interstates — often a hot, frustrating parking lot — or consign themselves to the stop-and-go, confusing local roads. Future Corridors, the state's vision of a future, integrated road network, is set to finish its conceptual phase this year, and promises to radically revamp the state's road system. Since this vision will quickly harden, it deserves a close look by a broad portion of the state's population to see if it truly addresses the state's needs or, like so many Florida initiatives (the state's notorious voting system comes to mind), becomes an ignominious reminder of provincial politics at its worst.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

there are lots of high-speed non-interstate corridors in Florida.  four-lane US-27 comes to mind.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Sadly US 27 is becoming sprawl city north of about Lake Wales.

My favorite high-speed surface road is US 441 where it parallels I-75 between Ocala and Gainesville. Four lanes, mostly 55-60 mph (it slows down a bit through towns), and hardly any traffic. Much more peaceful than I-75.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.