News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Fred Defender

Quote from: NE2 on January 09, 2015, 09:58:57 PM
That sign may date to when it was I-4. Or it could be a simple error swapping of TO and EAST.

Related link: http://www.us-highways.com/i275byp.htm

Pretty sure the latter. The sign is old, but not THAT old.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the section of 275 south of Roosevelt was never I-4 (except on paper).
AGAM

Alex

Quote from: florida on January 10, 2015, 12:06:21 AM
The BGS is old, but all three shields are covers. It's not button-copy, right?

Also, could the 'east' be referring to US 92?

It was never button copy, but it is quite old. Used to work a short distance south of it. This is how it looked in 2006:

IMO, it is just bad sign design with the East and TO swapped.

emory

Here's an odd sign at the U.S. 1/FL 870 intersection. It's on the northbound side and is the only one of its kind at that intersection. Strange. You'd think the trailblazers would be enough.

formulanone

Oh great, another Alternate A1A.

Henry

That sign may date to when it was I-4. Or it could be a simple error swapping of TO and EAST.

Here's some interesting information on the old I-275 bypass. I wonder if there ever were E and W in Interstate shields anywhere?
QuoteI-275 used to have a bypass leading from St. Petersburg to Tampa. It was signed with N and S interstate style signs. It was meant to divert traffic at times when the old, narrow Howard Frankland Bridge was not moving traffic. In modern times, the old narrow four lane "Frankenstein" is now striped for three lanes and only carries eastbound traffic. The N and S signage was removed in 1993 and 1994. The path of the "N" bypass route was up Florida 694 in St. Petersburg, across the bay on Gandy Blvd (US 92), northeasterly along the Crosstown Expressway to the Willow St Exit, north on Willow St, west on Cleveland Ave, then north on Howard Ave back to I-275 in Tampa. The path of the "S" bypass route was south on Armenia Ave, then east on Platt Street, north on Willow St, southwesterly along the Crosstown Expressway to Gandy Blvd (US 92 and Florida 694) back to I-275.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Fred Defender

I don't have a photo to illustrate, but here's an oddity from Florida 30+ years ago:

Several miles north of Venice on US41, at the intersection of Albee Road, there used to be signs for "WEST 789" (indicating then SR789 - now a Sarasota County road). Then, 5-6 miles north, at Blackburn Point Road, there was another sign for "WEST 789". Unlike Siesta Key farther north which 789 ran up the length of, I do not believe that Casey Key Road itself was ever actually a state road.

FDOT should have marked Albee Road west of 41 for NORTH 789 and Blackburn Point as SOUTH 789. It was weird as heck to see signs for "WEST 789" and a few miles up the road see "WEST 789" again.
AGAM

formulanone

Quote from: Henry on January 12, 2015, 12:56:07 PM

Here's some interesting information on the old I-275 bypass. I wonder if there ever were E and W in Interstate shields anywhere?
QuoteI-275 used to have a bypass leading from St. Petersburg to Tampa. It was signed with N and S interstate style signs. It was meant to divert traffic at times when the old, narrow Howard Frankland Bridge was not moving traffic. In modern times, the old narrow four lane "Frankenstein" is now striped for three lanes and only carries eastbound traffic. The N and S signage was removed in 1993 and 1994. The path of the "N" bypass route was up Florida 694 in St. Petersburg, across the bay on Gandy Blvd (US 92), northeasterly along the Crosstown Expressway to the Willow St Exit, north on Willow St, west on Cleveland Ave, then north on Howard Ave back to I-275 in Tampa. The path of the "S" bypass route was south on Armenia Ave, then east on Platt Street, north on Willow St, southwesterly along the Crosstown Expressway to Gandy Blvd (US 92 and Florida 694) back to I-275.
I always wondered what those mysterious N/S interstate-shaped shields were. I remember a few on the Crosstown as late as '94 but never saw them anywhere else.

FLRoads

Quote from: Fred Defender on January 12, 2015, 05:01:10 PM
I don't have a photo to illustrate, but here's an oddity from Florida 30+ years ago:

Several miles north of Venice on US41, at the intersection of Albee Road, there used to be signs for "WEST 789" (indicating then SR789 - now a Sarasota County road). Then, 5-6 miles north, at Blackburn Point Road, there was another sign for "WEST 789". Unlike Siesta Key farther north which 789 ran up the length of, I do not believe that Casey Key Road itself was ever actually a state road.

FDOT should have marked Albee Road west of 41 for NORTH 789 and Blackburn Point as SOUTH 789. It was weird as heck to see signs for "WEST 789" and a few miles up the road see "WEST 789" again.

Funny you mentioned those shields because the last time I drove U.S. 41 in that area (last month) I was trying to remember which intersection(s) I had seen them. I seen them on several occasions as a kid when I went up with my parents to Sarasota and St. Petersburg. Thanks for clarifying where they were!

emory

I left South Florida today and am over in the southwest part of the state. Before leaving I got some pics. I was curious about the post-FDOT state of Brickell, and here are the new overhead signs.

Right now all FDOT has done is remove all trace of US 1 from Brickell Ave, and that's it. When it comes to signage, US 1 may as well be gapped, as there is nothing directing motorists to the continuation of US 1 on either end. Also no US 41 signage has appeared on Brickell. They did remove the END US 41 sign from SE 8th Street.

emory

WashuOtaku

Quote from: emory on January 13, 2015, 01:22:12 AM
Also a few state roads previously unsigned now carry signage!

I'm glad to see someone in the Florida DOT realized that proper signage is key to utilization of state highway routes.

roadman65

Just heard it now on the local news, both FL 429 and FL 417 will have their respected speed limit which is set for 65 mph to 70 mph in about a week.

All of FL 429 from I-4 to Apopka will be 70 mph, however FL 417 will only be from Celebration to Sanford with some parts in the latter city to remain at 65 mph.

Even though all of 417 does not get it, that still is a great portion of travel of the road stretching for well over 50 miles.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/10/9/toll_road_speeds.html
http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/10/9/toll_road_speeds.html?cid=rss
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ace10

Quote from: roadman65 on January 16, 2015, 05:32:29 PM
Just heard it now on the local news, both FL 429 and FL 417 will have their respected speed limit which is set for 65 mph to 70 mph in about a week.

All of FL 429 from I-4 to Apopka will be 70 mph, however FL 417 will only be from Celebration to Sanford with some parts in the latter city to remain at 65 mph.

Even though all of 417 does not get it, that still is a great portion of travel of the road stretching for well over 50 miles.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/10/9/toll_road_speeds.html
http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/10/9/toll_road_speeds.html?cid=rss

That's fantastic news. I really wish this would have been done when I lived in Florida as I made good use of both 429 and 417. 65 was really too slow during the many times I drove both roads with very little traffic on them.

I wonder if the same study will be done on 414 (the portion not cosigned with 429) and 451 as I imagine those have very similar road construction and traffic counts as 429.

emory

Back home. I took a few pics around the state but I made sure to get some of Parkland before leaving. In the 90s I lived in Coral Springs while Parkland was still barely anything yet. Even Holmberg Road was just a pile of dirt.

A street sign for the intersection of Nob Hill Road and Hillsboro Boulevard, which does not currently link up to the other segment near US 441. Hillsboro is SR 810 east of US 441. The rest is maintained by the City of Parkland.

Also the signs at Loxahatchee Road (CR 827) noting the future extensions of University Drive and Riverside Drive into Palm Beach County have been removed. In addition, the University Drive overhead signs on the Palm Beach County segment have been replaced with Glades Road signs. Finally, the sign noting the extension of Coral Ridge Drive near Yamato Road into Broward County have been changed, and the extension is now only planned to Glades Road.

brickbuilder711

Had no idea 14th St was a State Road! When did that become about? Right around when they decomm'd Brickell Ave?

UCFKnights

Quote from: Ace10 on January 19, 2015, 05:50:00 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 16, 2015, 05:32:29 PM

That's fantastic news. I really wish this would have been done when I lived in Florida as I made good use of both 429 and 417. 65 was really too slow during the many times I drove both roads with very little traffic on them.

I wonder if the same study will be done on 414 (the portion not cosigned with 429) and 451 as I imagine those have very similar road construction and traffic counts as 429.
I really wish we could get the speed on 408 boosted, since it was reconstructed it really seems like you are crawling when you go the speed limit. Especially with every car around you going 20 mph more then you. And its way too common to see that speed differential, as those who get caught in the speed traps become afraid to speed, while everyone else knows its set ridiculously slow.

roadman65

THE SIGNS ARE NOW UP!  Between 9:30 and 10:00 this morning crews changed out the old 65 mph speed limit signs along FL 417 for the new 70 mph speed limit. 

Sheryl Crowe

emory

Quote from: brickbuilder711 on January 23, 2015, 08:17:00 PM
Had no idea 14th St was a State Road! When did that become about? Right around when they decomm'd Brickell Ave?

Correct. 14th St. is under state maintenance between 42nd Court and the westbound offramp from SR 836 just east of 37th Ave. The city of Miami turned it over to FDOT as a condition for them relinquishing Brickell Ave.

roadman65

I just drove the NB Florida's Turnpike new ramp to FL 417 N Bound.  The new interchange is Exit 251 on the Turnpike and it is signed for the Orlando International Airport (no surprise), and Sanford along with the new yellow bannered TOLL shields that Florida is now using.

Today I will be driving SB to SB to check it out.

Also construction has started for the next phase as piles are being driven for the NB FL 417 to NB FL TPK to create a new bridge just to the south of FL 417 for the ramp to cross the Turnpike to loop around to the north.

Sheryl Crowe

Fred Defender

I believe that this sign is a survivor. CR (formerly SR) 18 just west of SR121. I tried to find a date on the reverse. I was able to see something that had been stenciled but it was not discernible:

AGAM

Alex

Quote from: Fred Defender on February 08, 2015, 07:06:11 PM
I believe that this sign is a survivor. CR (formerly SR) 18 just west of SR121. I tried to find a date on the reverse. I was able to see something that had been stenciled but it was not discernible:

The photo I have of the back side reads 1.27.7-something

Fred Defender

Quote from: Alex on February 08, 2015, 08:12:28 PM
Quote from: Fred Defender on February 08, 2015, 07:06:11 PM

The photo I have of the back side reads 1.27.7-something

I haven't been to Fort White in a while (not much there). But I recall seeing some old SRD signs on CR(SR)18 there dated 1965.
AGAM

florida

According to FDOT, they 'bridged the gap' of SR 84 between Davie Road and Canal Drive (which is east of the 441/595 interchange), so SR 84 is one complete route in Broward County [2.290 miles eastbound; 2.252 miles westbound]. But, they also deleted westbound SR 84 from Glades Road to I-75 Northbound [0.250 miles].

With construction at the 826/836 interchange in Miami, the flyover and little nubby piece of SR 969 have been deleted as the flyover has been dismantled. The nubby piece of SR 969 was a 0.188 mile section of NW 7th Street between 72nd Ave and what is shown as 73rd Ave on Google Maps.

SR 39 from I-4 to (not yet Old) 39 has been added. The new alignment of SR 39 will total 6.904 miles.

In Jax, the realignment of Haines Street Expressway and 21st Ave has also been noted.
So many roads...so little time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.