News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 18, 2015, 10:35:25 AM
Need some routing advice if you folks don't mind. We're heading to Florida on our usual Christmas trip and before seeing our relatives, we're visiting a friend who lives on Collins Avenue in Bal Harbour. What's the best way to get there if you're coming down the Turnpike from Orlando? I'd kind of like to knock off the east end of I-595 to finish a clinch, but is it viable to go down US-1 and A1A from there or would we hit too many red lights? Timeliness is a bit of an issue within reason. I see the most direct route is simply to go to the Golden Glades and then east, but I know that sometimes poses traffic issues.

Thanks in advance.

If tardiness is really an issue, just get Waze. It's really good about finding the fastest route based on current traffic conditions, and will ensure you don't get stuck in a traffic jam caused by an accident.

1995hoo

Quote from: realjd on December 19, 2015, 09:18:17 AM
Need some routing advice if you folks don't mind. We're heading to Florida on our usual Christmas trip and before seeing our relatives, we're visiting a friend who lives on Collins Avenue in Bal Harbour. What's the best way to get there if you're coming down the Turnpike from Orlando? I'd kind of like to knock off the east end of I-595 to finish a clinch, but is it viable to go down US-1 and A1A from there or would we hit too many red lights? Timeliness is a bit of an issue within reason. I see the most direct route is simply to go to the Golden Glades and then east, but I know that sometimes poses traffic issues.

Thanks in advance.

If tardiness is really an issue, just get Waze. It's really good about finding the fastest route based on current traffic conditions, and will ensure you don't get stuck in a traffic jam caused by an accident.

I have it, I just find it distracting to try to use when I'm driving, especially in an area I visit a maximum of once a year. I find the somewhat cartoonish interface to be annoyingly busy. I will concede that its information can be very useful, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

realjd

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2015, 09:26:43 AM

Thanks in advance.

I have it, I just find it distracting to try to use when I'm driving, especially in an area I visit a maximum of once a year. I find the somewhat cartoonish interface to be annoyingly busy. I will concede that its information can be very useful, though.

They just did a huge interface overhaul a few weeks ago. The new one may be more to your liking. Or not.

I don't find it any more or less annoying or distracting than any other turn-by-turn directions tool like Google Maps or my Garmin. And it's up-to-the-minute traffic information and auto reroutes makes it the only one I use in areas I'm familiar with.

roadman65

Did you know that on Florida's Turnpike you can use the restrooms at the toll plazas if they are on the outside of the toll facility building?  You can only use them then if you are the GP as the inside of the building is restricted only to toll plaza employees.

Also, if you have no money you can obtain a business card with the mailing address of the payment center for the FL TPK Enterprise.  Plus there is no penalty as many frequent users do pull into the plazas habitually and actually without shame tell the toll collector "Hey I have no money" even when the toll collector knows them from previous visits asking the same thing.

I found out recently all of this from being a PT collector in Kissimmee at Exit 244.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

A few colored shields have now departed; even the posts are missing. The green US 27 sign at CR 29 is gone (no photo, hoped to get it), and the US 27 signs at CR 621 in Lake Placid are also history. Even that recent CR 17A sign is gone.

There's still two more banner-less green shields in the vicinity, although quite faded.

1995hoo

Thanks in advance.

The train was about two hours late in Sanford, so I wound up just taking the most direct route down the Turnpike to the Golden Glades and then across. No opportunity to explore, though on the way to the hotel and then on to my brother-in-law's house I did get to check off a chunk of FL-826 I was missing.

The stretch of the Turnpike between Orlando and Fort Pierce sure is desolate. Makes me understand why there's only that one exit along there! I had not been that way before and had thought it was likely to be the segment I'd probably never drive. Just so happened on this trip we skipped our usual trip to Viera to visit other relatives.

I did blast the horn at a Ferrari going too slowly on Collins Avenue!

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2015, 09:26:43 AM

Thanks in advance.

I agree on the cartoonish appearance of the waze maps.. I like the information. I like the Google maps satellite view better

1995hoo

Ok, one more routing question.....tomorrow we need to go from Fort Myers to Sanford, goal is to arrive by 1:30 but we must be there no later than 2:00. The various mapping apps I have suggest going up US-17 (one suggests starting at FL-80 in Fort Myers, the other suggests I-75 up to Punta Gorda) and picking up I-4 somewhere west of Disney. The all-Interstate route is said to be 7 minutes longer. We've already been that way in the past, so I'm curious whether anyone has any comments about the US Highway. Good route? Slow? Speedtraps galore?

I'm thinking about bypassing the Disney area to the west via 429 up to 414 as well depending on timing. We've gone around 417 many times, and while it's a good route I was thinking about something new.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jim

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2015, 09:46:52 AM
Ok, one more routing question.....tomorrow we need to go from Fort Myers to Sanford, goal is to arrive by 1:30 but we must be there no later than 2:00. The various mapping apps I have suggest going up US-17 (one suggests starting at FL-80 in Fort Myers, the other suggests I-75 up to Punta Gorda) and picking up I-4 somewhere west of Disney. The all-Interstate route is said to be 7 minutes longer. We've already been that way in the past, so I'm curious whether anyone has any comments about the US Highway. Good route? Slow? Speedtraps galore?

It's been a few years since we last tried it, but US 17 was not a problem, reasonably quick and a very nice break from the Interstates, until we got close to the Lakeland/Winter Haven area.  Maybe there's a good way to connect from US 17 to I-4 through there, but we did not succeed in finding it.  It was red light after red light whatever way we went.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

slorydn1

My little brother lives in Lehigh Acres and always takes FL-80 east to LaBelle, then catches FL-29 to US-27 in Palmdale, up to I-4 when he is coming to visit me. Its like 40ish miles less than I-75 to I-4 to the US-27 interchange (Exit 55) and he says its a relatively fast route when compared to the non freeway US routes you and I would be familiar with in VA and NC. No speed traps, although one never knows when FHP might pop up out of nowhere.

I-4 in Orlando proper can be a real bear, the only time I visited him at his house I sat in bumper to bumper traffic heading eastbound through downtown for something like 45 minutes. If I ever go down there again I will be seeking an alternative way around Orlando myself.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

FLRoads

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2015, 09:46:52 AM

I'm thinking about bypassing the Disney area to the west via 429 up to 414 as well depending on timing. We've gone around 417 many times, and while it's a good route I was thinking about something new.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

U.S. 17 isn't too bad of a route to take from the Fort Myers area up toward Orlando. I used to travel it every weekend during 2005/06 and found it better than taking I-75 to I-4 or U.S. 27 (which for me was more out of the way). Also, more of U.S. 17 is four-lane with a 65 mph speed limit so that should speed up the process between towns. There are only a few small portions of two-lane left (from south of Nocatee to the one-way couplets in Arcadia, and from the DeSoto/Hardee county line to south of Zolfo Springs). Winter Haven can be a bit slow with the numerous traffic lights, but its not too bad. If you want, once you merge with U.S. 92 east take it to CR 557 in Lake Alfred (there will be I-4 trailblazers). On a given trip it used to take me about 2 hours to get from Cape Coral to I-4 using U.S. 17.

Hope this info helps!

1995hoo

Thanks to all. Does Route 570 work as an alternative to the lights you mention? I see it on the map and it's a little out of the way, but if it bypasses a bunch of lights it may be worth it.

Based on your replies I'll definitely use Route 17 for some good portion of the trip. Think I'll probably go up I-75 to Punta Gorda to pick it up. Going to do that rather than the US-27 option because I've driven more of 17 in other places and so that road is more relevant to my personal travel history–plus I also figure I'm likely to use 27 sometime between Orlando and Pembroke Pines now that I've finished the Turnpike mainline south of I-4.

Thanks again for the quick replies. Feels like we just got here and it's already time to go home.  :-(  I like getting home to my own bed, but our relatives' kids are really nice and we seldom see them.

formulanone

Quote from: slorydn1 on December 28, 2015, 09:59:12 AM
My little brother lives in Lehigh Acres and always takes FL-80 east to LaBelle, then catches FL-29 to US-27 in Palmdale, up to I-4 when he is coming to visit me. Its like 40ish miles less than I-75 to I-4 to the US-27 interchange (Exit 55) and he says its a relatively fast route when compared to the non freeway US routes you and I would be familiar with in VA and NC. No speed traps, although one never knows when FHP might pop up out of nowhere.

Glades County Sheriff's Department enjoys its multiple speed traps along US 27 and along FL 29, so be mindful of speed limits.

1995hoo, US 17 should be four lanes throughout, I was just driving through there a week ago. Just watch your speed as you enter the city limits of Arcadia, Zolfo Springs, Wauchula, et al. The speed limits usually go from 65-55-45-35, so they generally play fair...the 35 mph zones are the most common in rural cities with at least one stop light. Arcadia might be the worst of the bunch for enforcement; even so, it's nothing like Waldo, Lawtey, or the aforementioned Glades County.

I know you're not a big sign geek, but I don't think there's any extant yellow US 17s until you hit Davenport.

I think the minimum toll on FL 570 is $1.00, even from one exit to the immediate next, but I haven't been up that way in nearly 4 years. Florida's Turnpike Toll Calculator shows $1.06 from US 17/98 west to I-4 and $2.12 east to I-4 if a SunPass owner.

A popular late-afternoon thing to do in Lakeland is to go see the swans (geez, they're huge) around Lake Hollingsworth or Lake Morton.

1995hoo

We are in Sanford and checked in for the train. Thanks again for the advice. We took I-75 to Punta Gorda, then US-17 up to, I believe, Bartow. Good drive. I only saw formulanone's comment now, but I was keeping it to 5 mph over the limit and slowing down in the towns. Didn't see any cops on there. The work zone where it's being widened to four lanes was only a minor nuisance. It was a relaxing drive. Last week on the train south we watched a movie about Brian Wilson, so I put on Pet Sounds and enjoyed the lack of traffic.

From Bartow we popped up to FL-570 and went around the east side. There's a brief Super-Two segment. I don't find that odd, but what WAS weird was a toll plaza in the middle of the Super-Two portion! I don't think I've ever seen that before. Closest was probably the Key Bridge plaza in Maryland before I-695 was widened, but there it was not Super-Two both before and after the toll plaza. Odd.

I-4 was heavy as always, so we exited onto FL-429 up to 414 and back to I-4 north of downtown. Nice route, very little traffic, one cop. Decent view of Disney World in the distance at one point (it'd be a better view heading south). The toll roads are worth it just to avoid the congestion, though I'd go nuts if I didn't have a SunPass.

So thanks again to all for the advice.

FLRoads

Glad that your routing worked for you and that you had no real issues.

I'm surprised the turnpike authority hasn't gone ahead and completed the four-laning of SR 570, especially since they added the Pace Road interchange (Exit 23) for the nearby Florida Polytechnic University a few years ago. Traffic counts must still not warrant an upgrade.

1995hoo

The Super-Two portion seemed adequate today, but of course a Tuesday afternoon on the week between Christmas and New Year's isn't the right time to judge such things. I was happy to see a transportation agency planning ahead, though–everything is set up for them to dualize it when the time comes (including the overpasses being built over a second not-yet-built carriageway), unlike other places that build for what they need now.

Ace10

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 29, 2015, 01:41:30 PMI-4 was heavy as always, so we exited onto FL-429 up to 414 and back to I-4 north of downtown. Nice route, very little traffic, one cop. Decent view of Disney World in the distance at one point (it'd be a better view heading south). The toll roads are worth it just to avoid the congestion, though I'd go nuts if I didn't have a SunPass.

Mile marker 13 is pretty much posted right at the apex on FL 429 where you can really see lots of Disney. I even parked up there one night on the shoulder and watched the fireworks while playing the music in the car. Ah, memories.

When I lived in Orlando I loved using the toll roads and used them pretty much any chance I got. SunPass does make using the roads extremely easy and efficient. I'd definitely take a road with moving traffic over a congested surface street anyday.

roadman65

Quote from: flaroads on December 29, 2015, 05:22:42 PM
Glad that your routing worked for you and that you had no real issues.

I'm surprised the turnpike authority hasn't gone ahead and completed the four-laning of SR 570, especially since they added the Pace Road interchange (Exit 23) for the nearby Florida Polytechnic University a few years ago. Traffic counts must still not warrant an upgrade.
I know some road geeks that think that we should not be tolled on two lane facilities.  Yes it does seem weird, but a two lane verses four lane, is just two lanes.

Anyway, tolling both Goldenrod Road and Osceola Parkway is worse yet.  Those are not even freeways and I would pay $ to drive a two lane road over the surface streets.

The only problem I have with SR 570 is that the two mainline plazas in Lakeland are too close to each other going against Florida Turnpike procedures.  Normally the Turnpike Enterprise likes to space the toll plazas further away to avoid stopping in such short distances.  Example is the Turnpike mainline from its northern terminus to Three Lakes south of St. Cloud.  You only have the Leesburg Mainline in between and the toll there goes from US 301 to SR 50 in Oakland.  Then from Oakland south it has ramp tolls southward going into the ticket system.  The actual ticket system north of Yeehaw Junction covers the tolls from SR 60 to SR 50 at Oakland.  So from Three Lakes (northern ticket terminus) to I-75 you stop only once at Leesburg (between the two US 27 interchanges) instead of three or four times like most coin drops do.

On SR 570 you go from one side of US 98 to the other and get charged twice!  Even the Beechline SR 528 was sort of like that, though not FDOT, but the former OOCEA eliminated the SR 520 mainline plaza to consolidate before they reversed that move several years later by adding the Dallas Boulevard mainline in their attempt to keep the tolls alive and prevent the Orlando Expressways from being paid off to soon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

I didn't have any objection to encountering the toll plaza on the two-lane portion. I just found it to be odd because I couldn't ever remember encountering a road that was a two-lane road both before and after a toll plaza.

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on January 03, 2016, 01:38:53 PM
Even the Beechline SR 528 was sort of like that, though not FDOT, but the former OOCEA eliminated the SR 520 mainline plaza to consolidate before they reversed that move several years later by adding the Dallas Boulevard mainline in their attempt to keep the tolls alive and prevent the Orlando Expressways from being paid off to soon.

Not exactly; the reasoning was to encourage more people in the Avalon Park area to use the International Corporate Park exit on and off the Beachline (via Innovation Way), they were complaining about paying the full toll so they split it by building the Dallas Boulevard toll plaza.

You will never see the tolls removed on the Beachline as long as they can use that cash flow to bond building more toll roads. I'm happy enough that they removed the tolls in Brevard County back in the early 90s.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

The widened section of Florida State Road 50 in western Hernando County includes some bike paths on the sides, and additional bike lanes in the roadway. The bike path on the south side in front of the Wal-Mart driveway includes a huge bump, because the driveway goes down a hill, and the bike path runs flat across it. Tomorrow, FDOT is going to close that driveway and do some work on that error, but either tonight or tomorrow, I'll be able to show off many of the anomalies and errors along the reconstructed road.

emory

I just got back from a week long trip in Florida today. I got to visit some parts of the state I hadn't been to in over a decade and take some pictures.

I've never seen a City Route shield anywhere in Florida until I saw the one in Holmes Beach for 789 (Gulf Drive). Both signs are near the terminus of SR 64.

I had also never seen a county route shield used for a simple street name, but that was the case for NW 36 Street in Okeechobee County.

Also while in St. Augustine, the CR A1A shields at the intersection between it and SR A1A have been removed, and replaced with these scenic highway signs with a "BUSINESS" tag on them.

Rothman

Scenic businesses?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: emory on January 06, 2016, 11:52:45 PM
I've never seen a City Route shield anywhere in Florida until I saw the one in Holmes Beach for 789 (Gulf Drive). Both signs are near the terminus of SR 64.

I think it's the only place I've seen them, either. Usually, there's no designation at all.

QuoteI had also never seen a county route shield used for a simple street name, but that was the case for NW 36 Street in Okeechobee County.

That was former State Secondary 718, later CR 718. Last went by there in 2012, but I forget if there was an actual 718 shield...seemed like it only existed on paper, and the locals just called it NW 36th.

The Florida Scenic Route situation is something created by Florida in the early-2000s, but they don't always route it along actual state routes. There's a former State A1A, which is now County A1A, and so I'm speculating the newest routing of A1A in St. Augustine didn't get the scenic route designation.

Alex

Quote from: emory on January 06, 2016, 11:52:45 PM
I just got back from a week long trip in Florida today. I got to visit some parts of the state I hadn't been to in over a decade and take some pictures.

Do you note the two keys shields posted at the same intersection on "City 789" southbound?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.