News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

yep, that button copy sign was there in 2006 when I last drove US-90 through there.  I also saw some state-named I-10 shields, which appear to not be there on the 2008 street view imagery.  they weren't old - they were part of that ~2003 batch of I-10 and I-75 trailblazers with state names that that FDOT district put up.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DeaconG

There isn't a Business US 90 in Marianna, never has been.  I have extended family that lives in the area and I've been up there since I was a little boy (we have a farm there).

Definitely not signed correctly.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Mapmikey

Brian556

Looking around on Streetview, I've found a ton of C-XXX signs around the FL Panhandle. I've also found a ton of old, deteriorated state route markers on CO roads that intersect state roads.

D-Dey65

Quote from: DeaconG on March 28, 2013, 11:46:13 AM
There isn't a Business US 90 in Marianna, never has been.  I have extended family that lives in the area and I've been up there since I was a little boy (we have a farm there).

Thanks for the info. Now I don't know whether to call in to FDOT Region #3, or wait until some of you take a picture of the error and publishes it.

:-| :confused: :paranoid:

mstgator

DeaconG

Quote from: mstgator on March 29, 2013, 05:40:48 PM
Speaking of errors...

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/3/29/cape_canaveral_local.html

Considering the erratic way they signed I-95 in Brevard when they went to six lanes, nothing surprises me there anymore.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

realjd

Quote from: DeaconG on March 30, 2013, 11:00:34 AM
Speaking of errors...

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/3/29/cape_canaveral_local.html

Considering the erratic way they signed I-95 in Brevard when they went to six lanes, nothing surprises me there anymore.

Erratic? The signs seem OK to me. What are your complaints?

DeaconG

Quote from: realjd on March 30, 2013, 12:18:17 PM
Speaking of errors...

The way the street names are offset on the overheads varies between exits, and that irritates me.

Example: The signs at Malabar Road and Palm Bay Road where the names are to the right of the route shield, that works; it's almost like the old Capital Beltway signs of the early 60s.

The ones north of there, like Eau Gallie (insert route shield) Causeway, Pineda (insert route shield) Causeway, Wickham (insert route shield) Road...no, no, NO!  It's horrid.

And don't get me started on Fiske Boulevard, with different sized fonts on different signs!

Apparently the contractor who installed the signs didn't give a damn about consistency or was just sloppy and FDOT (or Brevard County) didn't care.

Sorry, but I drive I-95 all the time and it's one of my pet peeves.  Do it right, do it consistently or don't bother.

formulanone

If it makes you feel any better, BGS' throughout the entire state, on any route, are inconsistent.

But I agree, the Malabar Road and Palm Bay Blvd examples are my favorites; shield to the left, local name to the right (in a smaller size), and destination underneath both (larger font).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/5962803480/in/set-72157616052613200

florida

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 28, 2013, 11:48:03 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on March 28, 2013, 11:46:13 AM

Thanks for the info. Now I don't know whether to call in to FDOT Region #3, or wait until some of you take a picture of the error and publishes it.

:-| :confused: :paranoid:

The only reason it could be signed that way is for central-business district purposes since SR 276 ends at US 90 way west of the downtown core. Also, the "TO" above the shields doesn't help matters either.
So many roads...so little time.

realjd

Quote from: DeaconG on March 30, 2013, 01:04:58 PM
Quote from: realjd on March 30, 2013, 12:18:17 PM
Speaking of errors...

The way the street names are offset on the overheads varies between exits, and that irritates me.

Example: The signs at Malabar Road and Palm Bay Road where the names are to the right of the route shield, that works; it's almost like the old Capital Beltway signs of the early 60s.

The ones north of there, like Eau Gallie (insert route shield) Causeway, Pineda (insert route shield) Causeway, Wickham (insert route shield) Road...no, no, NO!  It's horrid.

And don't get me started on Fiske Boulevard, with different sized fonts on different signs!

Apparently the contractor who installed the signs didn't give a damn about consistency or was just sloppy and FDOT (or Brevard County) didn't care.

Sorry, but I drive I-95 all the time and it's one of my pet peeves.  Do it right, do it consistently or don't bother.

Gotcha. Yeah, I'm not a fan of putting the shield between the road names either. I was happy that they finally signed Viera by name though.

The reason the PB Road and Malabar signs are different is that it was 6-landing that short stretch was a separate project done by a different contractor. It actually opened weeks before the extra lanes north of PB Road did.

clef

New overhead signs going up on the Sawgrass

Several more gantries sitting in the median by the south interchange.

xcellntbuy

The twin-posted BGS are less than five years old.  What a waste of toll revenue.

I was surprised that the most recent replacement signage, installed once the entire roadway was expanded to six lanes, was no longer overhead.

As an aside, much of the original overhead signage was severely damaged during Hurricane Wilma, one exception being at the Sample Road exit, southbound.  Those signs were pock-marked from bullets. :ded:

clef

I'm assuming the idea here is that these won't blow over in the next storm... unlike the standing BGSs

xcellntbuy

The elevated gantries do hold up better than when the BGS are on posts.  The destruction of Interstate 75's two-post signage on the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Charley will confirm that situation.

Nonetheless, some of the overhead gantries did come down with Hurricane Wilma and/or just ripped the signs completely off the gantries, leaving twisted bracing bars.  There was a huge pile of broken, twisted and heavily damaged signage in the grassy circle between the exit ramp from the Sawgrass Expressway (FL 869) westbound and US 441 southbound after Wilma.

Alex

Quote from: xcellntbuy on April 03, 2013, 06:53:35 PM
The elevated gantries do hold up better than when the BGS are on posts.  The destruction of Interstate 75's two-post signage on the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Charley will confirm that situation.

Nonetheless, some of the overhead gantries did come down with Hurricane Wilma and/or just ripped the signs completely off the gantries, leaving twisted bracing bars.  There was a huge pile of broken, twisted and heavily damaged signage in the grassy circle between the exit ramp from the Sawgrass Expressway (FL 869) westbound and US 441 southbound after Wilma.

Indeed, many of the overheads in South Florida were partially ripped a part and/or had their light fixtures skewed. Have several photos from a couple trips there in spring 2006 showing damaged signs. On FL 869 south specifically, the Coral Ridge Drive exit signs were gone and only one of the Sample Road signs was still standing. All signs for Oakland Park Boulevard were gone, and the sign bridge for the panel at the gore point was laying on the ground when we passed by. I could go on, but you remember it too!

jwolfer

Quote from: formulanone on March 30, 2013, 01:53:33 PM
If it makes you feel any better, BGS' throughout the entire state, on any route, are inconsistent.

But I agree, the Malabar Road and Palm Bay Blvd examples are my favorites; shield to the left, local name to the right (in a smaller size), and destination underneath both (larger font).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/5962803480/in/set-72157616052613200

I agree here... I always liked how Maryland signed roads this way. 

formulanone

Here's the other examples, with the street name split by the shields (photos from April 2011):

DeaconG

Quote from: formulanone on April 04, 2013, 06:55:21 AM
Here's the other examples, with the street name split by the shields (photos from April 2011):

GAHHHHHH!!! (makes sign of cross) TAKE IT AWAYYYY!!!!  :ded: :pan: :crazy:

Sorry... :biggrin:

mefailenglish

New MMs spotted in Miami-Dade:

No idea why the US 27 one is blue and the SR 997 one is green. 

clef

Found this little guy today.

Makes three, that I know of anyway.

xcellntbuy

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.