News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

Is this an agricultural inspection station? I have reason to believe so. Apologies if I sound a little clueless...  :poke:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5688984,-87.3974087,3a,37.5y,166.42h,87.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szGYIB0cg4Rt93izRvV_1BA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

formulanone

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 28, 2016, 08:56:41 PM
Is this an agricultural inspection station? I have reason to believe so. Apologies if I sound a little clueless...  :poke:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5688984,-87.3974087,3a,37.5y,166.42h,87.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szGYIB0cg4Rt93izRvV_1BA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Going down the road a'piece...yes.

...some of the Florida weigh station stops have unique orange-on-white signs, but I can't seem to find one in my collection right now.

jwolfer

It looks like one.. That is on i10 where was it

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: formulanone on April 28, 2016, 10:27:41 PM

Going down the road a'piece...yes.

...some of the Florida weigh station stops have unique orange-on-white signs, but I can't seem to find one in my collection right now.

So what was it linked to? Trooper barracks? Jwolfer, it's about 4,100 feet east of the border of Alabama on I-10 east.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

FLRoads

Yes, it is an agriculture station just beyond the Perdido River and Alabama border. A weigh station lies beyond that with the Florida Welcome Center beyond that. You can read a few more particulars on the Interstate 10 page at AARoads!

Hope this helps in answering your question!

RG407

Quote from: Alex on April 26, 2016, 10:23:26 AM
Poinciana Parkway will open on Saturday April 30.

The road will be toll free until June 1st and cost $1.75 at that time.

I made the drive out to the new Poinciana Parkway yesterday (opening day).   The western/northern end is actually a surface street, Kinney Harmon Rd. that runs about a mile from US 17-92 to the Polk-Osceola County line.  At the county line is where Poinciana Parkway actually starts.  It is a super-two with a half-diamond interchange with Marigold Ave. at the current eastern/southern terminus.  There is room for a full diamond interchange, but I didn't see any signs of construction for the other two ramps.  All in all, a pretty unremarkable road.

Alex

Randomly found out about a new State Road 313 planned in St. Johns County from SR 312 north to SR 16.

FDOT has a page on it, showing a detailed look at the at-grade beltway.

Another reference for it from 2012 here:

QuoteSupport State funding for St. Johns County-based transportation and infrastructure projects, specifically including 9B and associated intersection improvements, SR 313 (including consideration of a northern extension of SR 313) and development of the regional outer beltway.

The project was still unfunded as of last year.

FLRoads

Quote from: RG407 on May 01, 2016, 10:29:21 PM
Quote from: Alex on April 26, 2016, 10:23:26 AM
Poinciana Parkway will open on Saturday April 30.

The road will be toll free until June 1st and cost $1.75 at that time.

I made the drive out to the new Poinciana Parkway yesterday (opening day).   The western/northern end is actually a surface street, Kinney Harmon Rd. that runs about a mile from US 17-92 to the Polk-Osceola County line.  At the county line is where Poinciana Parkway actually starts.  It is a super-two with a half-diamond interchange with Marigold Ave. at the current eastern/southern terminus.  There is room for a full diamond interchange, but I didn't see any signs of construction for the other two ramps.  All in all, a pretty unremarkable road.

I drove it on opening day as well (afternoon) and was at least surprised to see the half-diamond with Marigold Avenue. It looks like there will be an additional interchange with an extension of KOA Street and will partition at its end with Cypress Parkway (CR 580) for an eventual southern extension. I do have to agree that right now there's not much to it but if Osceola's MPO plan comes to fruition it will become a part of a much larger limited-access beltway around the Poinciana/Kissimmee/St. Cloud area.

I do think that the $1.75 toll is a bit much, and it might hinder traffic counts once its implemented. It was pretty funny to see people turn around on Marigold when they realized they were about to enter a toll road. Apparently they didn't know its free to ride for now.

jwolfer

Quote from: Alex on May 04, 2016, 07:25:50 PM
Randomly found out about a new State Road 313 planned in St. Johns County from SR 312 north to SR 16.

FDOT has a page on it, showing a detailed look at the at-grade beltway.

Another reference for it from 2012 here:

QuoteSupport State funding for St. Johns County-based transportation and infrastructure projects, specifically including 9B and associated intersection improvements, SR 313 (including consideration of a northern extension of SR 313) and development of the regional outer beltway.

The project was still unfunded as of last year.
I think it should just continue the 312 designation... Sort of like SR 109/University Blvd in nearby Jacksonville which changes cardinal directions

FLRoads

U.S. Department of Transportation to investigate Tampa Bay Express project

QuoteThe U.S. Department of Transportation in Washington, D.C. said Thursday it will begin a preliminary investigation into the Florida Department of Transportation's Tampa Bay Express project, following a civil rights complaint.

QuoteThe complaint claims the project targets minority neighborhoods in Seminole Heights, Tampa Heights and V.M. Ybor.

FLRoads

The Tampa Bay Times had a more informative article relating to the preliminary investigation into the civil rights complaint against the TBX.

QuoteAccording to emails between federal officials and critics of the highway plan, the U.S. Department of Transportation first received a complaint last month. Just last week, the Federal Highway Administration's office of civil rights agreed to start a preliminary investigation based on the complaint...

QuoteA member of Sunshine Citizens, a group that opposes TBX, Suarez alleges that the express lanes would benefit affluent commuters, tourists and businesses, but does great harm to minorities. His complaint says that officials are prioritizing the "needs and interests" of the West Shore business district, Tampa International Airport, the Tampa central business district and land developers at the expense of the general public.

roadman65

The I-4 and Kirkman Road interchange now is taking more shape as part of ultimate I-4.

The new bridges over WB I-4 for Kirkman have their girders up and piles now are in place for the new WB to SB ramp over NB Kirkman.  Plus the new Grand National Drive Overpass has the piles on the Universal side in place, with the median of Major Boulevard dug up between Kirkman and Caravan Court.  I assume that Caravan Court will be realigned and lanes added to Major Boulevard as part of that project.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

A piece of history is gone.. An old secondary SR became CR sign in Bradford County FL gone... Replaced with a Pentagon in the past 2 months... The sign had the C peeling revealing the S.. It was in Lawtey ( infamous speed trap on US 301) on CR225

formulanone

The shield was from 1977 - making it one of the last handful of "Keys Shields" - but the tapered arrow was from 1969.

There were also two more pre-1978 designs in Lawtey, unless they're gone...

We'll probably never see the likes of "five-digit" Florida shields again. If the leading "S-/C-" counts, that is. :)

jwolfer

Clay County has a few keys shields on sideroads junctions with state roads.. I need to get some pics before they are replaced

NE2

A few Poinciana Parkway photos: http://www.facebook.com/neroute2/posts/1577714555892653
Westbound control city is Loughman; none is posted eastbound.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Monday May 16, 2016 all ramps will be opened at the Florida Turnpike from FL 417.  Just saw it on a VMS heading north on FL 417 today!  Keep in mind this is not completed yet, as only FL 417 will have access to the Turnpike completely. Both N and S will be accessed from both directions of FL 417. 

Florida Turnpike still has only access to FL 417 NB from the Turnpike NB though.  So its far from being a complete interchange and have no idea if the other three missing movements will be constructed soon.

Sheryl Crowe

FLRoads

Met up with roadman65 and drove the Poinciana Parkway (SR 538) again this afternoon. We also poked around a bit to see the progress of the construction a little further to the south.

Eastbound beginning of the Poinciana Parkway just east of Sereno Drive.

Koa Street will be extended westward from New Castle Road to meet Poinciana Parkway at a diamond interchange when the second phase opens later this year.

Traveling west along Cypress Parkway where the southern end of the Poinciana Parkway will tie in.

Current construction on the Poinciana Parkway between Koa Street and Cypress Parkway.

Looking south toward the end of the construction. Poinciana Parkway will split onto its future ramps to and from Cypress Parkway leaving a gap in between for the future mainline whenever its extended.

roadman65

I see "Savanah" is listed on FL 9B's mileage sign north of US 1.  I am assuming that when I-795 gets completed it will be signed with its NB ramp from I-95 as such?https://www.google.com/maps/@30.1493777,-81.507838,3a,37.5y,24.74h,78.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stQMtLCblg7hOHYD1QALa0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
[f

I also assume that the third lane constructed that is not currently being used will be used when I-795 gets to use this piece of road?

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Here is a remaining colored route shield for US Highway 17 still standing on Ave. K SW in Winter Haven, FL.  Flaroads and I were out roadding the other day and he introduced me to this leftover, so we both got out and photographed it.  Here is mine:

Sheryl Crowe

SPAdriver

Do you think the color shields will ever return?

formulanone

Quote from: SPAdriver on May 20, 2016, 10:18:20 AM
Do you think the color shields will ever return?

In some very rare cases, they'll copy it for a local installation, but the chances of that are minimal.

(Photo from shield gallery - Jake Bear.)

roadman65

I was out roadding with Alex and Fla Roads and we noticed a new addition to the state road system.  We saw signs for FL State Route 18 along FL 231 in some small rural community.

I even googled it to learn more about it, but even that did not produce any articles.  I am guessing that it must be so new that no one has yet reported its existence.  Even FL 231 south of Lake Butler is not even mentioned when you google it, so maybe that one is new as well.

Anyway, FDOT usually caps its mileage except for newly created alignments such as connectors or bypasses, but here what appears to be a new one (or ones).

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on June 18, 2016, 09:20:18 AM
I was out roadding with Alex and Fla Roads and we noticed a new addition to the state road system.  We saw signs for FL State Route 18 along FL 231 in some small rural community.

I even googled it to learn more about it, but even that did not produce any articles.  I am guessing that it must be so new that no one has yet reported its existence.  Even FL 231 south of Lake Butler is not even mentioned when you google it, so maybe that one is new as well.

Anyway, FDOT usually caps its mileage except for newly created alignments such as connectors or bypasses, but here what appears to be a new one (or ones).
Is it a contractor mistake perhaps? Or a copy of an old C-18 sign sans the c

formulanone

I thought there was a small portion of FL 18 from Brooker to Worthington Springs that was never turned over to county maintenance; the much longer section from Keystone Heights to Brooker was downgraded. Maybe something new?

Or a forgotten relic like this:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.