News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on July 30, 2016, 10:31:11 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 30, 2016, 12:22:12 PM
I think FL 15 has its original terminus at what is now CR 880, since 80 followed that from Palm Beach. There was no US 441 / 98 at the time, since 98 followed the Palm Beach Canal until 2008, and 441 wasn't extended until after the Great Renumbering.
Makes sense, as also flaroads told me in a post on facebook.  CR 880 was indeed old 80 from twenty mile bend westward.  Yes, US 441 ended in Orlando, as Alex added a map on facebook showing that it never was on the southern half of OBT nor Dixie Highway like US 17 & 92 were.

If I recall correctly, didn't 441 end on Colonial?

roadman65

It did.  I am talking about South OBT which is south of Colonial. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2016, 09:00:11 PM
It did.  I am talking about South OBT which is south of Colonial.

Right, you're talking US 17/92 on Orange Avenue/Dixie Highway prior to it being shifted to OBT.  I have some maps of it somewhere, I'll post it when I find the book part...

Max Rockatansky

This it the website, they have a crap ton of old Florida Road maps:

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/index.htm

And the 1936 map in question that shows US 17/92 on Dixie Highway in Osceola County:

Looks like Pre-1945 State Route 2 had an alternate on what became modern OBT.

roadman65

I was recently on the Henry Flagler Bridge between West Palm Beach and Palm Beach and noticed that FDOT is almost complete with a new higher and wider bridge to carry FL A1A traffic across the Intracoastal Waterway.  However, the bridge is still a bascule draw bridge, most likely because to build approachways, especially on the Palm Beach side of the waterway, would ruin the glamour of Downtown Palm Beach.

The thing I find odd about this bridge is the fact that FDOT is not using the standard drawbridge steel grid roadway deck on this structure. Instead the bascule leaves are going to have typical concrete.  Correct me if I am wrong, is not the concrete more heavier for the bridge motors to lift then the hollow and much lighter steel grid?

I thought that would be an interesting question to ask, as it is more than strange that this new bridge is being constructed this way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on August 09, 2016, 03:16:04 AM
The thing I find odd about this bridge is the fact that FDOT is not using the standard drawbridge steel grid roadway deck on this structure. Instead the bascule leaves are going to have typical concrete.  Correct me if I am wrong, is not the concrete more heavier for the bridge motors to lift then the hollow and much lighter steel grid?
Maybe it's so bike tires don't slip on the grate.

Presumably there's a counterweight, making relatively little work for the motors.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on August 09, 2016, 03:16:04 AM
I was recently on the Henry Flagler Bridge between West Palm Beach and Palm Beach and noticed that FDOT is almost complete with a new higher and wider bridge to carry FL A1A traffic across the Intracoastal Waterway.  However, the bridge is still a bascule draw bridge, most likely because to build approachways, especially on the Palm Beach side of the waterway, would ruin the glamour of Downtown Palm Beach.

I thought that would be an interesting question to ask, as it is more than strange that this new bridge is being constructed this way.
A few years ago the steel grid grating on the Mathews Bridge in Jacksonville was replaced with a concrete surface. The local paper had a story about some kind of newer technology that is not as heavy as standard concrete. I wish I could remember details

__-------_-------------

The Bridge of Lions in downtown St Augustine was rebuilt as a drawbridge because of not wanting to destroy historic sites with approaches. If memory serves me right it has the same concrete surface

florida

Quote from: roadman65 on July 30, 2016, 10:31:11 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 30, 2016, 12:22:12 PM
I think FL 15 has its original terminus at what is now CR 880, since 80 followed that from Palm Beach. There was no US 441 / 98 at the time, since 98 followed the Palm Beach Canal until 2008, and 441 wasn't extended until after the Great Renumbering.
Makes sense, as also flaroads told me in a post on facebook.  CR 880 was indeed old 80 from twenty mile bend westward.  Yes, US 441 ended in Orlando, as Alex added a map on facebook showing that it never was on the southern half of OBT nor Dixie Highway like US 17 & 92 were.

SR 15 does end at SR 880, not CR 880....880 is still state maintained from SR 15/80 to SR 717, east of Belle Glade. SR 717 joins 15/80 over the canal. I'm checking GSV now and am really surprised that FDOT actually signed the east end of SR 880!

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 27, 2016, 09:32:49 PM
So what is the back story with the SR 112 numbering so far out of grid?

I have a theory that SR 112 is numbered so because it does go to the airport and can be remembered in the myriad of 9xx numbers. All other Miami-area expressways and toll routes are 8xx routes, except 924 and 970.
So many roads...so little time.

emory

Speaking of Palm Beach County, when did anyone begin acknowledging Glades Road west of US 441 as CR 808?

jwolfer

Quote from: emory on August 13, 2016, 06:57:12 AM
Speaking of Palm Beach County, when did anyone begin acknowledging Glades Road west of US 441 as CR 808?

Is that a FDOT install. I would imagine it's only signed because of SR 808 being signed the other direction

emory

Quote from: jwolfer on August 13, 2016, 12:35:08 PM
Quote from: emory on August 13, 2016, 06:57:12 AM

Is that a FDOT install. I would imagine it's only signed because of SR 808 being signed the other direction

It is. It's on US 441/SR 7. They also installed CR 798 shields at the Palmetto Park Blvd intersection.

jwolfer

I just drove home from Valdosta to Jacksonville... Took US 41 from just inside Florida to I-10.. i noticed US 41 has really wide ROW. I would guess there were plans in the 1950s to widen  the road like US1 farther east. But building i75 made it unnecessary.

It was an easy drive a couple small towns, Jennings, Jasper and White Springs but in between towns 60 mph speed limit i was going  over 70 most of it..  Good change of pace and unlike other parts of Florida No appreciable sprawl

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on August 14, 2016, 06:17:08 PM
I just drove home from Valdosta to Jacksonville... Took US 41 from just inside Florida to I-10.. i noticed US 41 has really wide ROW. I would guess there were plans in the 1950s to widen  the road like US1 farther east. But building i75 made it unnecessary.

It was an easy drive a couple small towns, Jennings, Jasper and White Springs but in between towns 60 mph speed limit i was going  over 70 most of it..  Good change of pace and unlike other parts of Florida No appreciable sprawl

That's what I like about US 27, it basically is largely an expressway most of the way through the state.  It always made for a nice alternative heading to Miami as opposed to I-75, the Turnpike, or I-95....really friggin quiet out in the Everglades.

formulanone

Drove on the Orchard Pond Parkway last week - all five miles of it. The website says it encourages the trail usage, biking, walking. There was a parking spot about mid-way along the parkway for a trail, but I was on my lunch break.

North on Old Bainbridge Road, just a few miles north of the intersection from US 27 and FL 263:

Two-lane undivided toll road begins, heading eastbound:

Reassurance signage was posted about one mile into the route:

Unusual mile markers - while whole miles were posted, crossroads and trails also had very specific mile markers, something not seen elsewhere in the state:

Toll schedule, looking westbound:

No unique shields for the Parkway yet, but this is the logo for it:

End of the Parkway at Meridian Road (CR 155); a little over 5 miles long:

DeaconG

^^^Well bloody hell, it does exist...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

amroad17

Really?  Leon County 0344?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

chays

Quote from: formulanone on August 24, 2016, 10:36:11 AM

No unique shields for the Parkway yet, but this is the logo for it:

This could be filed under worst of road signs.

NE2

Quote from: amroad17 on August 24, 2016, 05:22:37 PM
Yes. It's part of the four-digit grid. CR 344 would be much farther to the south.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Avalanchez71

That is really lame to use a leading zero on those county route markers.  So you mean to say that all of the three digits numbers are used?  What about CR 1000?  That would make more sense.

amroad17

Quote from: NE2 on August 24, 2016, 05:56:03 PM
Yes. It's part of the four-digit grid. CR 344 would be much farther to the south.
Sorry, I am not familiar with the county route numbering system in Florida.  I just found it an odd way to number a route.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Alps

Quote from: DeaconG on August 24, 2016, 01:21:08 PM
"Within a few years, it will see 2,000 vehicles per day."

If I'm building a toll road and it isn't hitting 2,000 vehicles per HOUR, something's wrong. Good luck with your stupid investment, bro.

Avalanchez71

Per the pictures they did pick a perfect place to set up the "toll booth."

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on August 24, 2016, 10:36:11 AM
Drove on the Orchard Pond Parkway last week - all five miles of it. The website says it encourages the trail usage, biking, walking. There was a parking spot about mid-way along the parkway for a trail, but I was on my lunch break.

Drove it in May and pretty much did exactly what you did (even took a photo of the westbound toll schedule sign). I had driven through that area extensively in 2014 and 2015 doing map research for my old boss, so I had some extra interest in seeing the completed project.

Did get my photos posted to the site on this guide.

As you saw on CR 0361, they also replaced all shields on the roads intersecting with the respective ends, so I went ahead and posted those:
CR 153/CR 0361 - west end
CR 155 - east end
CR 0342 - east end

Quote from: amroad17 on August 24, 2016, 06:30:38 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 24, 2016, 05:56:03 PM
Sorry, I am not familiar with the county route numbering system in Florida.  I just found it an odd way to number a route.

The 4-digit series of county roads are generally not posted and used mostly for inventory purposes. A few counties renumbered some of their posted routes with 4-digit numbers to reduce repetition left over from the old state secondary system. Alachua, Bay, Leon and Volusia Counties renumbered many of their routes.

The strata of numbering for 4-digit county roads sees any route designated between the state line and State Road 10 as CR-0000 to CR-0999, from SR 10 to SR 20 is then CR-1000 to CR-1999, and so on and so forth. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, as they are with the 3-digit numbering system.

Leon specifically renumbered several of their former secondary routes to reduce multiple segments with the same number. Unfortunately by doing that, it led to scenarios where the county road number changes at the county line, such as Gadsden County 153 changing to Leon County 0361, as CR 0361 replaced CR 153 further south.

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 24, 2016, 06:25:08 PM
That is really lame to use a leading zero on those county route markers.  So you mean to say that all of the three digits numbers are used?  What about CR 1000?  That would make more sense.

See my note above about the strata of routes. Originally I felt as you did, that the leading zero was lame, but later knowing how the system worked, it no longer bothered me. However, there are instances where sign manufacturers forgot to add the leading 0 on markers posted in the field. That somewhat bugs me, knowing that CR 361 is down in Levy and not Leon.

formulanone

Quote from: Alps on August 24, 2016, 06:53:03 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on August 24, 2016, 01:21:08 PM
"Within a few years, it will see 2,000 vehicles per day."

If I'm building a toll road and it isn't hitting 2,000 vehicles per HOUR, something's wrong. Good luck with your stupid investment, bro.

I think he owned all the land, so whether he probably has a few decades to worry about it turning a profit. That said, I saw about 10-12 cars use it at around 1pm on a weekday, so there must be some more folks using it to conveniently cut across during rush hours.

Personally, I don't get it...it connects a pair of two-lane roads which will probably never see widening in our lifetimes.

DeaconG

The widening project for US 1 in Cocoa between Main Street and Lathem Drive has been completed, I had a chance to drive down it last week while taking care of some business in Cocoa.

New directional signs, streetlamps and signal mast arms abound; they did a very good job of widening the road to six lanes (it was at least ten years overdue, but at least a good portion of the businesses that were on US 1 are still there despite the long gestation time [nearly 4 years]).

The traffic flow is a bit smoother, though there are still major bunch-ups at the intersections with Dixon Blvd. and Michigan Avenue, but that's to be expected.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.