News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashuOtaku

Noticed this today on AASHTO's website, a late approval of the relocation of US 17 / US 92 in Sanford on August 1st, 2016.  Here's the documentation.

NE2

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 30, 2016, 10:33:48 PM
Noticed this today on AASHTO's website, a late approval of the relocation of US 17 / US 92 in Sanford on August 1st, 2016.  Here's the documentation.

Huh. I guess Monroe Road (CR 15) is being taken over by the state. This was originally intended as a Sanford bypass in the 1940s before I-4 was built.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Yesterday, there was this big accident on the southbound lanes of US 19 in Spring Hill between Windward Village and the flea market that used to be a Wal-Mart. The State Troopers closed off two lanes of the route. An Isuzu NPR with a 22' or maybe 26' box body ended up in a drainage ditch with construction material sticking out of the back, while a Ford F-Series pickup behind it had a mangled cab, a bent frame, and possibly a dead driver and passenger.

NO NEWS COVERAGE!

NE2

Dog bites man.

NO NEWS COVERAGE!

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 31, 2016, 07:59:30 AM
Yesterday, there was this big accident on the southbound lanes of US 19 in Spring Hill between Windward Village and the flea market that used to be a Wal-Mart. The State Troopers closed off two lanes of the route. An Isuzu NPR with a 22' or maybe 26' box body ended up in a drainage ditch with construction material sticking out of the back, while a Ford F-Series pickup behind it had a mangled cab, a bent frame, and possibly a dead driver and passenger.

NO NEWS COVERAGE!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same stretch of US 19 where people sport the "pray for me I drive Highway 19" stickers?  I wouldn't suspect a crash would be that big of a deal given how much that expressway gets used.  The real shock for me that someone is still driving an Isuzu out there.  I'm sure there had to be something on the 511 page at least about a closure.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2016, 05:06:02 PM

NO NEWS COVERAGE!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same stretch of US 19 where people sport the "pray for me I drive Highway 19" stickers?  I wouldn't suspect a crash would be that big of a deal given how much that expressway gets used.  The real shock for me that someone is still driving an Isuzu out there.  I'm sure there had to be something on the 511 page at least about a closure.
First, that section is not an expressway (although it should be). Second, a crash like this is pretty severe compared to most of what usually happens. As far as the 511 page goes, it means nothing if you're on the road and the car you drive doesn't have a computer.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 31, 2016, 06:40:17 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2016, 05:06:02 PM

NO NEWS COVERAGE!

First, that section is not an expressway (although it should be). Second, a crash like this is pretty severe compared to most of what usually happens. As far as the 511 page goes, it means nothing if you're on the road and the car you drive doesn't have a computer.

Is it not 6-land divided highway with 50 MPH plus speed limits in addition to numerous frontage road for businesses?  That section from FL 50 to County Line Road is pretty well separated from grade level intersections.  Generally things don't get too bad with the direct level access until Pasco.  FL 50 from US 19 to Ridge Manor is kind of similar albeit has much less development cluster around it.   I never said it was a freeway...anyways yes tragic about the people being killed but it's not as uncommon as you might think for nobody to publicize it in the media.  I had plenty of circumstances when I was patrol-man where really bad things happened on the road and nobody was media source ever responded.  If it was I-4 or I-75 it probably would have...maybe the Suncoast Parkway even.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2016, 07:17:43 PM
Is it not 6-land divided highway with 50 MPH plus speed limits in addition to numerous frontage road for businesses?
Even with that, it still has grade-level intersections, thus disqualifying it as an expressway. Plus the frontage roads are often disconnected, and new businesses who set up shop along there tend to forget about the rights-of-way for those frontage roads. The same thing happens along FL 50. There's a 7-Eleven on the northwest corner of northbound US 19 and Berkeley Manor Boulevard, with a driveway that's always causing traffic jams. FDOT recently added a second left-turn lane from Breakwater Boulevard to northbound US 19, but neglected the need to add left-turn lanes to the frontage road used by Home Depot, Target and Publix.

roadman65

Does anyone know why FL 528 is being raised from its current height above Shingle Creek in Orlando?  Right now the new expansion lanes are almost 10 feet higher than the current height across this particular creek. They have EB traffic placed on the new span, as the current WB and EB will be also raised.

I live in the area and know of no flooding issues of any sort with Shingle Creek, so I was wondering if anyone here knows the answer on that one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Perhaps for the Shingle Creek Trail.

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on September 15, 2016, 07:17:51 PM
Does anyone know why FL 528 is being raised from its current height above Shingle Creek in Orlando?  Right now the new expansion lanes are almost 10 feet higher than the current height across this particular creek. They have EB traffic placed on the new span, as the current WB and EB will be also raised.

I live in the area and know of no flooding issues of any sort with Shingle Creek, so I was wondering if anyone here knows the answer on that one.

My guess would be to make it more easily navigable for boats, but I don't know what type of boat traffic they would possibly expect on that stretch of water. How high do you think the old bridges were? I've never really paid attention.

roadman65

Its not nowhere near navigable.  Its just a typical creek!

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

To avoid any possibilities of the road being shut down due to localized flooding?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

jwolfer

Quote from: DeaconG on September 17, 2016, 01:56:37 PM
To avoid any possibilities of the road being shut down due to localized flooding?
I thought this. I have seen bridges raised to get above flood levels for a 50 year flood

Brian556

roadman65

Quote from: jwolfer on September 17, 2016, 02:28:38 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on September 17, 2016, 01:56:37 PM
I thought this. I have seen bridges raised to get above flood levels for a 50 year flood
Most likely as this theory does hold plausibility.  However, IMO its a waste of money to totally replace a bridge that is in good standing.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

It's probably for the Shingle Creek Trail, dude.

Alex

I-95 Express Lanes Seeing Changes to Safety Poles, Creation of New Emergency Lanes

QuoteIn an effort to help prevent dangerous incidents of people going in between the express lanes and normal ones on I-95, Florida Department of Transportation officials are unveiling new safety measures they hope will keep all motorists safe.

Starting Tuesday, FDOT crews will begin installing more durable plastic poles used to divide the express lanes from non-tolled traffic. The distance between the polls will also be reduced from 10 feet to five feet. The project is expected to take 10 weeks to complete and will be done at night.

QuoteAnother safety measure taking place is the construction of five new emergency stopping sites along the express lanes between Northwest 62nd Street and Northwest 131st Street. The 13-foot wide shoulders will be between 1,200 and 1,900 feet in length and give both drivers and emergency crews room to safely pull over.

Construction is expected to start in January and last one year.

Avalanchez71

Will they raise the toll to pay for the poles?

NE2

FLRoads

Quote from: NE2 on September 21, 2016, 12:38:36 AM

I'm sure this is still the only shield in existence, and its not even on the mainline. Nice to see it though. Thanks!

I looked on GSV and its been there since at least July. In fact, this sign replaced a regulatory sign (curve ahead).

roadman65

Was that there when we visited there back in May Flaroads?

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Are those two logos on each side of the shield really necessary? Do people care which expressway authority is handling their charges?

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on September 23, 2016, 02:07:48 PM

Are those two logos on each side of the shield really necessary? Do people care which expressway authority is handling their charges?
No!

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.