News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 09, 2013, 01:33:31 AM
Quote from: florida on June 08, 2013, 06:56:56 AM
Going through the Straight-Line Diagrams one-by-one to download them, and just noticed that the Pinellas County I-275 set has a Proposed SR 686A for the current Roosevelt Blvd routing of SR 686. It seems that when the Roosevelt Bypass is complete, that route will become SR 686 and the former routing will be SR 686A.
Any actual project plans available for this? Curious how they are going to squeeze in a new roadway given how built up that area is.

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/Planning/sis/designation/sr686/request.pdf

Look on Page 17.

The 118th Ave Connector is Former SR 692 (from ~2002). The main goal is elimination of the SR 686/688 concurrency which would provide a more direct route between I-275 and St. Pete/Clearwater International Airport. There was some mentioning of transferring Roosevelt between SR 688 and I-275 to Pinellas County, but it could have been changed to make it a hidden SR 686A.
So many roads...so little time.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: florida on June 09, 2013, 04:39:08 AM
The 118th Ave Connector is Former SR 692 (from ~2002). The main goal is elimination of the SR 686/688 concurrency which would provide a more direct route between I-275 and St. Pete/Clearwater International Airport. There was some mentioning of transferring Roosevelt between SR 688 and I-275 to Pinellas County, but it could have been changed to make it a hidden SR 686A.

So they are also planning on upgrading 118th to a freeway style connector? Neat. I can see why they want to get rid of the overlap on Ulmerton Rd., that area is a mess. Has PIE seen any significant growth in traffic? That airport was dealt a pretty big blow when USA3000 ceased operations there.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on June 07, 2013, 11:38:13 PM
I decided to do a simple route log first:
http://neroute2.blogspot.com/search/label/route%20log
and pre-1945:
http://neroute2.blogspot.com/search/label/pre-1945
Hey, would you be interested in reclaiming your NJ pages at any point?

NE2

Nah. Florida's got enough history for a while.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

About Florida's span wire signal assemblies, I noticed that it differs from other states span wires in three ways.
  1) The concrete poles
  2) The use of two support cables
  3) The hook assembly.

Number three is what is most interesting as unlike other states, Florida uses a hook hidden within a small box instead of being exposed like in other states.  I was wondering if anyone knew what that is about?  Also with number two I assume that is extra protection from high winds just like the "X"  installation with two different span wires from all four corners meeting mid intersection is another fix to wire swaying during violent storm conditions. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Universal+Studios+Plaza,+Orlando,+FL&hl=en&ll=28.475821,-81.458902&spn=0.008054,0.013797&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.300816,14.128418&oq=Univer&t=h&hnear=Universal+Studios+Plaza,+Orlando,+Florida+32819&z=16&layer=c&cbll=28.477676,-81.458673&panoid=Yfi3TKF7cQXRcRf1kbOBrQ&cbp=12,0,,0,0
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

I'm wondering if that odd "X" signal installations was done in order to comply with the MUTCD concerning signal head distance from stor bar. The cross street does have rather wide median.

FLRoads

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 03, 2013, 07:49:28 PM
interesting.  can someone grab a photo?  that would be the first new-install mainline shield in a long time: the rest of the new installs all appear to be junction and trailblazer assemblies.

Photos snapped:

One going westbound...

And one going eastbound...

From what I know these are the only two in existence, unless there are any between the Turnpike and Interstate 95. The eastbound one was a bonus as I did not know it existed either. Both have been added to the shield gallery. I apologize if the EB photo is a little far away. I did not feel like walking through more high grass in my flip-flops!

On a side note, I also noticed some trailblazers for I-4 and I-75 in the Tampa area last night but did not get any photos.

formulanone

Found a new state-named I-75 shield around eastern Naples (a "TO" assembly on CR 846 near 951), so they're either Georgia "imports", or they're making a comeback.

FLRoadsGuy

There are a bunch of of FLORIDA Interstate 75 shields along US 41 in Lee County.
---
Gene Janczynskyi
in Cape Coral

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on June 17, 2013, 12:35:32 AM
Found a map of the unbuilt St. Pete freeways: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00017174/00001/2x?vo=32&vp=0,3777

I see most of these corridors made it to Gene's 1970 Pinellas mini-map:

florida

Heh...Clay County removed the C-220 shield and put up this: http://goo.gl/maps/1k2Ge
So many roads...so little time.

roadman65

New road signs along NB FL 423 in Orlando at the new JYP extension under construction.
Behind the cover lies a directional "FL 434 NORTH" and "John Young Parkway" as I was two days late to photograph both assemblies when the signs were uncovered.  The road should be open in the Fall of this year according to a sign posted in the construction area.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/9107326807/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/9109552880/in/photostream/

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Would have made more sense to name the extension Forest City Road.

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on June 22, 2013, 12:35:39 PM
Would have made more sense to name the extension Forest City Road.
You know it would, but knowing Orange County they may rename Forest City Road as JYP eventually.  Look at Old Dixie Highway becoming Orange Avenue or Bermuda Avenue becoming eventually JYP at the other end.

Being it will be an extended SR 434 would make more sense to do it that way.   If it were not that it would take too much trouble to renumber the road numbers, I would say renumber 434 to 423 to I-4 at Longwood and reassign Lee Road an even number state route.  Nobody calls Lee or JYP as FL 423 anyway.  Seminole County will  most likely object as they do call FL 434 as Four Thirty- four in their dialogue.  Well see how it works, but at least it will clear up added congestion at Lee Road and Edgewater.

Sheryl Crowe

FLRoads

Casselberry 'flyover' project moving ahead despite protests:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-casselberry-flyover-start-20130628,0,3649398.story

Looks like this project, despite protests from the Jai-Alai fronton and others, is getting the green light with construction beginning Fall 2013 and a completion supposedly by Summer 2015.

QuoteRichard Birdoff, president of a New York City real-estate company that owns more than 50 acres near the intersection – including the fronton – said a flyover will reduce motorists' access to businesses.

"The flyover will have a significant detrimental effect on economic development, property values and quality of life at that very important intersection," Birdoff said Friday. "Building a flyover means spending an excessive amount of money to solve a problem that exists for about an hour and a half, five days a week."

Of course this guy doesn't want the interchange built. He is afraid he will not make as big as a profit as he might be now. Having lived just around the corner from this intersection for four years (2004-2008), I either drove through the intersection when it wasn't terribly busy or just took side roads to get around it when it was busy. I know lots of people, including myself, have waited a long time to see this flyover happen. Even though I don't live there anymore I will keep up on it and will probably go see it once its complete.

QuoteBirdoff has presented DOT with alternative plans that advocate widening 17-92, adding turn lanes and installing landscaped medians. He said he is "forging ahead" with his plans and has been meeting with DOT officials.

Exactly how does landscaped medians reduce congestion? In any event, once the FDOT locks contractors in place this project will be hard to stop, and this guy can go back where he came from...

formulanone

Sounds like his Jai-Alai site will require frontonage roads...

...I'll get my coat.

mstgator

Brian556

Got a bunch of Pics in FL. Here are the ones from the panhandle:

US 98 near FL 87

SR 87

US 90 near SR 87

US 90 at SR 4

SB Walton Co 1087. They installed a new US 90 sign nearby. Interestingly, like this one, it doesn't have the needed double arrow plaque

FLRoads

I am really surprised that the ultra faded U.S. 90 shield is still kicking. I am also not sure if I have photographed that black on white guide sign either, so that was a pleasant surprise to see. That faded and cracked I-10 trailblazer (the one near Florida 87) should be replaced when they finish their repaving project.

By the way, that was WAY too soon to see that area again!! lol Thanks for sharing your photos!

Brian556

QuoteThanks for sharing your photos!
Youre welcome.
Now here's some from Sumter Co:

Don't know why you would put a reasurrace sign before an intersection.

Note that the street name sign says "C 44A" instead of CR 44A

and Lake Co:

CR 44  CR 44 E of Leesburg. The intersection has been reconfigured.

US 441 E of Leesburg

RR split in roundabout in Tavares. Without the extra sign, motorists might think the yield is for the RR crossing

Tavares

Tavares

Eustis..This would have been interesting when the tracks were active. Kinda suprising that houses would be allowed so close to the tracks. There is a garage door about 6 feet from the tracks on one of these houses.

A close inspection of this sign reveals that it was made in an odd way. HIP yellow was laid down, and then the legend was cut out of blue EG sheeting, which was them laid on top.

Notice that the word" Lake" is missing.

Yes, its really white. These were spotted in Volusia Co, and in Louisiana as well.

SB US 27

NB US 27

Clermont

agentsteel53

orange highway marker is orange.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Hell yeah. I love that CR 44 Leg A.

Brian556

QuoteHell yeah. I love that CR 44 Leg A.
I saw that and thought to myself "what the hell?"

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on July 22, 2013, 08:59:52 PM

Eustis..This would have been interesting when the tracks were active. Kinda suprising that houses would be allowed so close to the tracks. There is a garage door about 6 feet from the tracks on one of these houses.
This line (to Umatilla) is still in use:
http://www.pinsly.com/companies/fcen/
http://www.progressiverailroading.com/csx_transportation/news/FRA-obligates-grant-for-Florida-short-line-upgrades--35982

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.