News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was reading about how FL 524 in Cocoa was originally the west approach to the Emory L. Bennet Causeway before the current Beach Line was constructed between FL 520 and US 1.  On google maps you can see what was once the extension of ClearLake Road to where 528 was pre-freeway and now curves west to meet current FL 524. 

I am to assume that before the toll road, FL 528 originally crossed both the FEC Railway Tracks and US 1 at grade, which explaind the dip in the freeway of 528 at the place it leaves land to cross the Indian River.  In addition the bridges over US 1 and the railroad are both the same age.

Someone wrote in  to Wikipedia that both FL 520 and FL 528 were co-signed together before the missing segment was completed in 1974, which is very interesting considering that FL 528 was also aligned on SandLake Road in Orlando at the other end.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on August 31, 2013, 05:03:14 PM
I am to assume that before the toll road, FL 528 originally crossed both the FEC Railway Tracks and US 1 at grade, which explaind the dip in the freeway of 528 at the place it leaves land to cross the Indian River.  In addition the bridges over US 1 and the railroad are both the same age.
Nope: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071730/00024/9x (not loading right now, but the .jp2 download works)
http://uglybridges.com/1084216

Quote from: roadman65 on August 31, 2013, 05:03:14 PM
Someone wrote in  to Wikipedia that both FL 520 and FL 528 were co-signed together before the missing segment was completed in 1974
If you're talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Road_524 it says no such thing.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DeaconG

The six-laning of I-95 between SR 406 and SR 528 is finally done, with one major snag at the converted parclo with SR 407; work is supposed to be done this weekend to get it ready.

I rode it southbound from Garden Street (SR 406) to the Port St. John exit...it was glorious!  GLORIOUS! I almost needed a warm towel and a cigarette when I got home :D :colorful:. Now, how long it's going to stay that way is anyone's guess.

I give it three weeks... :-D
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

roadman65

Not to get technical, but it also does not say in the above link to Wikipedia that is was not FL 528 cosigned with FL 520 either!  It simply states that ", the SR 528 designation went onto the new roadway, and the stretch between SR 520 and the Bee Line became SR 524.   

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on August 31, 2013, 10:09:24 PM
Not to get technical, but it also does not say in the above link to Wikipedia that is was not FL 528 cosigned with FL 520 either! 
It also doesn't say SR 528 wasn't cosigned with A1A to Miami!

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stephane Dumas

Looks like I-75 and FL-826 will also get express toll lanes due to I-95 successeful express toll lanes.
http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/6711
http://75-express.com/about-the-project/

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on August 31, 2013, 10:17:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 31, 2013, 10:09:24 PM
Not to get technical, but it also does not say in the above link to Wikipedia that is was not FL 528 cosigned with FL 520 either! 
It also doesn't say SR 528 wasn't cosigned with A1A to Miami!
It also doesn't say that pooing isn't cool.

roadman65

I was in the area briefly yesterday and saw the new signs for Exits 205A & B and the "Caneveral" destination for Cape-Port-AFS was replaced with "Port Canveral" and going SB directional headers were added to the EB FL 528 shield and the WB TOLL FL 528.

Also the exit for FL 407 is signed for both directions of travel, but barrels block the new movements.  Also they still have not replaced "Cocoa" with "Miami" on SB FL 407 for the entrance ramp to I-95 SB.  They probably will not as the permanent shields are up with no guide signs for the new ramps showing control destinations for soon to be opened I-95 NB from SB FL 407 and the new, but not open NB FL 407 to SB I-95.  Hopefully they might still at least add control cities for the new ramps.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on September 02, 2013, 08:39:29 PM
I was in the area briefly yesterday and saw the new signs for Exits 205A & B and the "Caneveral" destination for Cape-Port-AFS was replaced with "Port Canveral" and going SB directional headers were added to the EB FL 528 shield and the WB TOLL FL 528.

Also the exit for FL 407 is signed for both directions of travel, but barrels block the new movements.  Also they still have not replaced "Cocoa" with "Miami" on SB FL 407 for the entrance ramp to I-95 SB.  They probably will not as the permanent shields are up with no guide signs for the new ramps showing control destinations for soon to be opened I-95 NB from SB FL 407 and the new, but not open NB FL 407 to SB I-95.  Hopefully they might still at least add control cities for the new ramps.

The parclo is open for business, I used it today when coming back from Orlando and decided to take I-95 from SR 50 to get home to Port St. John and noticed the tarps were off the new SR 407 BGS's.  Was actually able to eliminate eight traffic lights by taking the 'back road' home (I-95/SR 407/Shepard/Grissom) versus the SR 50/405 mess in Titusville.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

roadman65

When I was there the tarps were down, but the barrels still remained in place.  In fact the NB Exit 212 overheads now show FL 407 with no directional indicators, but only the KSC going NB.  I would figure that Titusville would be added as well being it technically is the first exit for the city.  I hope to be doing a road trip there with some people from this forum the end of this month, and will catch the SB side signage and all the ramps opened.

I did hope that they removed the merge that is going SB to SB as that is what entices head on collisions on SR 407 as people think that they are entering another freeway and start using the other side of the road as a left lane as if it were a one side of a complete freeway, but they did not.  The problem is you have that hump for that one underpass near the powerlines that block your views of the oncoming traffic and that is where it becomes a problem.  If you create a hard right that will condition the human mind that it is an ordinary street and not a freeway, and it will most likely be never that FDOT widens SR 407.

However, it will solve the illegal turns that took place over the years hopefully!

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

There is no validity to this 441 shield on a 1979 Champion Map of Orlando is there?

NE2

Nope. It was planned as an alternate to US 441 before the John Young Parkway name was assigned.

Alps

Quote from: Alex on September 06, 2013, 04:58:48 PM
There is no validity to this 441 shield on a 1979 Champion Map of Orlando is there?
Heh, asked that question on your FB post before I saw this thread. There's my answer.

roadman65

It is interesting to see Vineland Road where Bruton Boulevard now is as well!  I have often wondered about why at LB Mcleod Road it changed names all of these years in that now I wonder even more why that intersection was a place where the name would only extend to and not all of Vineland Road!  Considering that both Vineland and Bruton are both within the Orlando City Limits that seems quite odd as usually names change at town lines or at development boundaries where one section was built before the other like in John Young Parkway at Lee Road where Lee was there first and JYP was built in 1973.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Orange Center Boulevard was also named after Vineland (the platted name).

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on September 07, 2013, 11:43:55 PM
Orange Center Boulevard was also named after Vineland (the platted name).
Does Vineland even exist anymore.  Old maps show it at the Apopka-Vineland and Palm Parkway intersection in LBV, but no one ever uses the name.  Also, a town called Flamingo was shown on many maps along Orange Avenue (Old Dixie Highway) around the present Orange Avenue/ Fairway Woods Boulevard where Meadow Woods now is.

I am to assume that both Disney and Landstar Homes changed that  with their development  and actually absorbed these towns respective names in addtition to the original buildings that made these places what they either are or were.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2013, 01:28:20 PM
Does Vineland even exist anymore.
I don't know how widespread the name is, but there's a definite single-family residential community still there (next to the mosque).

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on September 08, 2013, 02:12:58 PM
I don't know how widespread the name is, but there's a definite single-family residential community still there (next to the mosque).
Funny you bring that place up.   That is about where Lake Street is.  Old maps show present day Apopka Vineland turning 90 degrees into Lake Street and then you had to make left afterwards which I believe the old maps show the dot where Vineland was at the time.

Also, on something else, the Turnpike Exit 254 ramp to  NB US 17 & 441 and EB US 92 is getting a traffic signal as well as two extra lanes.  A Pennsylvania right out signal is being installed to regulate traffic there.  I cannot wait as too many people exiting the Turnpike there travel the narrow single lane ramp at freeway speeds playing chicken with the bumper to bumper NB OBT traffic caused by St. Landstreet's Signal.  In addition you have 18 wheeler drivers who need to turn left onto Landstreet actually take their rig and block all through traffic on OBT so they can imediatley get over to where they want.  FU to the others as my delivery is more important is in those drivers minds.

Now you will have three ramp lanes turning into the three OBT lanes so with this signal, so it should help improve flow there I hope.  The poles are already up, covered up though with a temporary STOP sign is in place at the end of the ramp.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on September 11, 2013, 08:34:53 AM
Funny you bring that place up.
You brought it up...?

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 11, 2013, 06:09:17 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 11, 2013, 08:34:53 AM
Funny you bring that place up.
You brought it up...?
In Soviet Florida, Vineland brings you up.

roadman65

Here is an oddity.

Two different routes, two different designations, but same route number.

This was not always this way as CR A1A was the old SR A1A  where now it continues southward to the right and that  current FL A1A was another FL 3 designation.  Sometime in the 1990s it was changed, but being that A1A has two 'A' s in it already, how can they create another alternate "A" like they usually do for old highways now county maintained.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

There is a similar sign group in Margate, FL for the intersection of West FL 814/East Broward Co 814 (Atlantic Blvd.) and US 441 State Road 7.

formulanone

Oakland Park Boulevard at University Drive has a similar assembly.

xcellntbuy

Brian556

Here's an oddity.

Two different routes, two different designations, but same route number.

This was not always this way as CR A1A was the old SR A1A  where now it continues southward to the right and that  current FL A1A was another FL 3 designation.  Sometime in the 1990s it was changed, but being that A1A has two 'A' s in it already, how can they create another alternate "A" like they usually do for old highways now county maintained.

This same situation exists for Seminole CR 415 (Old SR 415), and Lake CR 44 ( Old SR 44). It really doesn't make sense to keep the old number on a old alignment, and just change it to county. This has to be confusing to some people, esp since some roads change from state to county at some point. You'd think since Florida has so much tourism, they'd try to avoid confusing designations like this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.