News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emory

Quote from: roadman65 on September 17, 2013, 08:02:58 PM
Here is an oddity.

Two different routes, two different designations, but same route number.

This was not always this way as CR A1A was the old SR A1A  where now it continues southward to the right and that  current FL A1A was another FL 3 designation.  Sometime in the 1990s it was changed, but being that A1A has two 'A' s in it already, how can they create another alternate "A" like they usually do for old highways now county maintained.

FL 15/Seminole CR 15 at the Bee Line Expressway has a signing like this too, as the segment of FL 15 between the Bee Line and US 192/441 was relinquished.

I don't mind this. It can aid motorists along one consistent route and will help locals who refer to the routes by their number after the state relinquishes road to the city. You usually hear people refer to a highway as "route A1A" or simply "A1A" and not "state road A1A." Ft. Myers has a couple of these, specifically route 867 and 865. Route 865 is unique as it mostly exists as Lee County Route 865, but two separate portions are still unrelinquished and are signed FL 865. It's better than what California does, where they simply yank out the signs, even if it leaves a big fat gap in the numbered route.

NE2

The problem here is that SR A1A south is to the right. It may not be signed prominently because the scenic byway follows CR A1A.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

QuoteFt. Myers has a couple of these, specifically route 867 and 865. Route 865 is unique as it mostly exists as Lee County Route 865, but two separate portions are still unrelinquished and are signed FL 865.

One of the portions of Florida 865 (a 1.5-mile section) was not originally in the state system as it was created in the 1990's to link Florida 739 with U.S. 41 when that route came into existence. Florida 867 lost its northern 3.4 miles when the state relinquished that part to the Fort Myers.

Florida 884 and Lee County 884 is another instance of this (in two different places within the county).

emory

Quote from: NE2 on September 19, 2013, 05:16:31 AM
The problem here is that SR A1A south is to the right. It may not be signed prominently because the scenic byway follows CR A1A.

I get it now. I thought the county shield was identifying a relinquished route or a city's method of continuing a route beyond state ownership, which is what the other examples in this thread have also identified. That is confusing if there are two route A1As in that area.

florida

Wasn't this CR A1A signed Business CR A1A at the south end at one time?
So many roads...so little time.

NE2

Quote from: florida on September 22, 2013, 11:00:20 PM
Wasn't this CR A1A signed Business CR A1A at the south end at one time?
According to my notes, yes.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Errmmm... I know the other CR A1As are in places where the state highway is no longer designated. This one's new to me, and clearly a terrible mistake. Should just be CR 1 if FL A1A goes to the right.

roadman65

Quote from: Steve on September 23, 2013, 10:58:49 PM
Errmmm... I know the other CR A1As are in places where the state highway is no longer designated. This one's new to me, and clearly a terrible mistake. Should just be CR 1 if FL A1A goes to the right.
The GSV shows  this assembly gone and a pair of SR A1A shields in it place with a SB shield pointing to the right as supposed to.

Also, FL 434 is open to FL 423, as even Wikipedia has yet updated the stats on FL 434.  I plan to clinch it as soon as I am done eating.  So John Young Parkway now extends to Edgewater Drive instead of turning into Lee Road at its northern end.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

emory

Or sign it as anything that can't be confused with FL A1A or nearby US 1.

roadman65

It acts as a Business route to A1A and even though no longer part of the State Road System, it should be a Business FL A1A.  There are plenty of places in the state where county and municipal roads use a state route designation i.e FL 527 in Orlando and then you have the OOCEA routes signed as state routes when they are maintained by them and not in any way the State Of Florida.

A photo of the signage for the new JYP extension in Orlando.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

clef

Some BGS now up on the new 595 express lanes.

realjd

Quote from: clef on September 30, 2013, 09:01:23 PM
Some BGS now up on the new 595 express lanes.

Are they express toll lanes or regular, free express lanes?

clef

Quote from: realjd on September 30, 2013, 09:21:20 PM

Tolled reversible lanes, the sunpass gantry is already up with a small digital display, but I didn't get a picture. The lanes are still far from opening.
Here is a picture from the construction website

clef

Heh...Cecil B. Sawgrass makes an appearance in the monthly 595 Project Summary PDFs.

xcellntbuy

Thank you for the new Interstate 595 pictures.  I have totally avoided the highway except for the section by Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport for the last several years while the construction has been ongoing.

formulanone

If you love bad and/or questionable signage while driving through a war zone, I-595 is just about perfect.

You can see the "new" lanes to the right in this photo:

Pay attention:

I doubt NB/SB/EB is any sort of standard...

Jim

I definitely don't recommend driving through that I-595 construction during a heavy thunderstorm, as I did in July.

http://www.teresco.org/pics/frommiami-20130713/

Scroll down to the last 5 images.  I took about 15, but most were useless because of the rain on the windshield.  At times, a lane and a half were under too much standing water to be passable.  Other times muddy/rocky water 2-3" deep was flowing from the construction area into traffic lanes.  Took 45 minutes or more to get from I-95 to I-75.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

xcellntbuy

Lots of terrific south Florida pics! :clap:

realjd

Quote from: clef on September 30, 2013, 10:19:29 PM
Quote from: realjd on September 30, 2013, 09:21:20 PM

Tolled reversible lanes, the sunpass gantry is already up with a small digital display, but I didn't get a picture. The lanes are still far from opening.
Here is a picture from the construction website

From the linked picture, it has a yellow line on one side. That's unusual for reversible lanes. Usually they have white on both sides.

Aerobird

Quote from: florida on April 17, 2012, 01:15:15 AM
Quote from: NE2 on April 17, 2012, 01:07:56 AM
Quote from: florida on April 17, 2012, 12:21:40 AM
SR 160 has been added to the SHS on March 26th. It consists of Timberlane Road between SR 61 (Thomasville Rd) and SR 261/US 319 (Capital Circle NE) for a total of 0.114 miles.
Is this signed for any movements? Seems that they could close the left from SR 61 north onto I-10 west by using this.

Now, it's just a single, stand-alone 'TO I-10' trailblazer. I'm pretty sure previous to the additional I-10 interchange on US 319 itself it was signed for I-10 West if you were coming north on US 319. [Will locate some photos of mine to see if I took any.]

Following up on this, the road is signed in both directions on its one-block length, with trailblazer signs on both SR 61 and US 319.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Aerobird on October 03, 2013, 10:05:43 AM
Quote from: florida on April 17, 2012, 01:15:15 AM
Quote from: NE2 on April 17, 2012, 01:07:56 AM
Quote from: florida on April 17, 2012, 12:21:40 AM
SR 160 has been added to the SHS on March 26th. It consists of Timberlane Road between SR 61 (Thomasville Rd) and SR 261/US 319 (Capital Circle NE) for a total of 0.114 miles.
Is this signed for any movements? Seems that they could close the left from SR 61 north onto I-10 west by using this.

Now, it's just a single, stand-alone 'TO I-10' trailblazer. I'm pretty sure previous to the additional I-10 interchange on US 319 itself it was signed for I-10 West if you were coming north on US 319. [Will locate some photos of mine to see if I took any.]

Following up on this, the road is signed in both directions on its one-block length, with trailblazer signs on both SR 61 and US 319.

Get any pictures?

Aerobird

Unfortunatly no; my camera refuses to talk to my computer.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

D-Dey65

Tonight there's supposed to be a public meeting on the replacement for the northbound Howard Frankland Bridge in St. Petersburg:
http://tbo.com/pinellas-county/howard-frankland-bridge-replacement-in-works-b82489429z1
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2013/10/8/dot_wants_input_on_f.html
I'd love to go, but I've got a dental appointment this afternoon, and an 80th Birthday Party for my mother at a nearby restaurant tonight. If I could go I'd say build the new bridge while still using the existing one, and perhaps convert the existing northbound bridge for mass transit, preferably some kind of rail.

Alex

Between this, construction of phase 2 of SR 9B and the Overland Bridge Project for I-95, lots of things to follow over the next few years in Jacksonville. Might have to do a mini road meet up that way soon too.

Jacksonville-area toll road subject of Tuesday town meeting

QuoteConstruction of Jacksonville's first toll road since their abolition in 1985 is set to begin in less than two weeks from Interstate 10 to Argyle Forest Boulevard on the Westside.

QuoteThe expressway's $77 million first phase will rebuild Cecil Commerce Center Parkway down to 103rd Street in Jacksonville, then Branan Field-Chaffee Road to Argyle Forest Boulevard by 2015.

A second phase due to start a year from now will rebuild Branan Field Road to Blanding Boulevard in Orange Park.

The result will be a 4-lane limited-access toll road with interstate-style interchanges at key side roads

QuoteThe first 6-mile phase will add more lanes plus overpasses at New World Avenue, Normandy and 103rd. Noise walls will be built at the Bent Creek and Blue Lake Estates subdivisions, along with access roads at 103rd, Samaritan Way and Sarroca Lane.

QuoteOpening bids for the second $83 million phase into Orange Park will be done this month. It could start early next year and take about three years to complete. No tolls will be collected until both phases are done, Busscher said.

realjd

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2013, 01:33:10 PM
Between this, construction of phase 2 of SR 9B and the Overland Bridge Project for I-95, lots of things to follow over the next few years in Jacksonville. Might have to do a mini road meet up that way soon too.

Jacksonville-area toll road subject of Tuesday town meeting

QuoteConstruction of Jacksonville's first toll road since their abolition in 1985 is set to begin in less than two weeks from Interstate 10 to Argyle Forest Boulevard on the Westside.

QuoteThe expressway's $77 million first phase will rebuild Cecil Commerce Center Parkway down to 103rd Street in Jacksonville, then Branan Field-Chaffee Road to Argyle Forest Boulevard by 2015.

A second phase due to start a year from now will rebuild Branan Field Road to Blanding Boulevard in Orange Park.

The result will be a 4-lane limited-access toll road with interstate-style interchanges at key side roads

QuoteThe first 6-mile phase will add more lanes plus overpasses at New World Avenue, Normandy and 103rd. Noise walls will be built at the Bent Creek and Blue Lake Estates subdivisions, along with access roads at 103rd, Samaritan Way and Sarroca Lane.

QuoteOpening bids for the second $83 million phase into Orange Park will be done this month. It could start early next year and take about three years to complete. No tolls will be collected until both phases are done, Busscher said.

More I95 construction? Didn't they just finish the big downtown rebuild?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.