News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

http://www.i95overlandbridge.com/

More or less yes. The latest work started in January.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2013, 11:11:49 PM
http://www.i95overlandbridge.com/

More or less yes. The latest work started in January.

I hope FDOT took to heart what I discussed with them about this project and the sign design before they started it.  It seems they did with the messages in the e-mail, but will not know for sure till it's done and new signs are up.

However, I see on the map of the project that they have US-1 and US-90 shields on Kings....

NE2

May Kings remain US 1-90.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 09, 2013, 11:59:37 PM
I hope FDOT took to heart what I discussed with them about this project and the sign design before they started it.  It seems they did with the messages in the e-mail, but will not know for sure till it's done and new signs are up.

However, I see on the map of the project that they have US-1 and US-90 shields on Kings....

FWIW the latest FDOT GIS files already show Kings as soley SR 5.

As for sign changes, what did you suggest? Ones that come to mind were the panels for "to I-10 west" that were carbon copies from before the Big I. The two sign bridges that displayed them were already taken down by July due to roadwork.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on October 10, 2013, 12:34:13 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 09, 2013, 11:59:37 PM

GIS data has shown it that way since at least the start of 2010. (See my post here)

As for sign changes, what did you suggest? Ones that come to mind were the panels for "to I-10 west" that were carbon copies from before the Big I. The two sign bridges that displayed them were already taken down by July due to roadwork.

It was suggestions on the signage plans that one of the PDFs that had on the Overland site previously (since taken down, but I still have it on my HD, so I can e-mail it (it's a 20.2 MB file) if anybody wants to see it).  I happened to mention about this back last year, but it seems I didn't post the full e-mail at the same time.  I'll do that now.

Subject: FW: Question about the I-95 Overland Bridge Replacement Project

Craig

We met with Don Drury to discuss James Mast's concerns with the signage for Overland Bridge.  In red are our responses to the questions you passed along to us.  Please review and let me know you need additional follow-up regarding this issue.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Robert Jackson, P.E.
Transportation Engineer

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 11:34 AM
To: Jackson, Robert
Cc: Holland, Kim; Byrd, Ralph
Subject: RE: Question about the I-95 Overland Bridge Replacement Project

As a result of our meeting with FDOT (Don Drury and Tom Cavin) yesterday, below are proposed responses to the three questions submitted by James Mast.  It's first important to understand that we were told that US 1 and US 90 are currently incorrectly signed along Kings Avenue and Prudential Drive.  US 1 and US 90 do in fact combine at Atlantic/Philips and follow I-95 to the ramp to Main Street.

1. Going NB on I-95, after you leave the mainline lanes and enter onto the C/D lanes for Exit #348, you're introduced to the following signage "DOWNTOWN | The Landing | Sports Complex" || "US-90 - US-1 | Atlantic Blvd | Philips Hwy".  While the signage is partially correct, if people are looking for, say, US-1 NB, they would not want to be directed off at Atlantic Blvd since the C/D lanes take you directly to NB US-1 and the Main Street Bridge.  In my opinion, the signage should read something like this: "DOWNTOWN | US-90 WEST - US-1 NORTH | The Landing | Sports Complex" || "US-90 EAST - TO US-1 SOUTH | Atlantic Blvd | Philips Hwy" (The "TO" could be optional, but since you need to make two left turns to find your way in the new configuration to get to SB US-1 which is on the SB C/D lanes in that area, I'd keep it and add additional ground mounted TO trailblazers pointing people in the correct direction).  That way, people will not get stuck on the surface streets, and will be able to get to the correct highways which they need to access.  I would also do this signage tweak on the second set of overhead signage right before the exit for Atlantic Blvd, but changing the signage on the left sign to match what you currently show in the PDF with the addition of the US-1/US-90 shields and their cardinal directions.

The signs on I-95 NB will be updated to reflect the methodology shown on the signs leaving Philips Hwy NB and Atlantic WB.  Consequently, US 1 north and US 90 west traffic will be directed to the proposed NB CD road that leads to Main Street.

2. Now, going SB on the C/D lanes, after the split of US-1/I-95 and US-90 traffic, you have the signage for the different directions of Atlantic Blvd and US-90.  Here, you have signage mentioning "WEST US-90", which isn't correct since US-90 WB has already left Atlantic Blvd to go onto the C/D lanes heading up towards the Main Street Bridge and you can't access it directly from that ramp.  If anything, that signage should have the word "TO" included if people would like to get to WB US-90.  So, it would read something like this: "TO US-90 WEST | Atlantic Blvd" and have ground mounted trailblazers pointing people to turn left @ Kings Avenue to go down to the new intersection that would allow them to turn left and onto the C/D lanes and thus, to WB US-90.

Reference to US 90 west will be removed for I-95 SB traffic.

3. With US-1 and US-90 on the C/D lanes of I-95 in that area , Kings Ave & Prudential Drive will then no longer have US-1 & US-90 posted on them.  So, the current hidden State Route along those roads should then become posted, which is State Route 5.  Per previous e-mails with Jerry Ausher, P.E. (between 01/28/10-02/01/10), the plan was to sign FL-5 along Kings Ave & Prudential Drive once the US-1 & US-90 signage was corrected & removed off the incorrect route.  Is the plan still to post FL-5 along there, or will it remain hidden as there was no mention of that route in the PDF file?

Per direction from Don Drury (FDOT), references to US1 and US 90 will be removed from Kings Avenue and Prudential Drive, but there will be no reference to FL-5.  In addition, the Straight Line Diagram contains an exception of that designation in this particular area.

Gary Sowell, Jr, PE, LEED AP BD+C

www.rsandh.com

Alex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 10, 2013, 01:58:08 AM

GIS data has shown it that way since at least the start of 2010. (See my post here)

Thanks for the clarification.

It was suggestions on the signage plans that one of the PDFs that had on the Overland site previously (since taken down, but I still have it on my HD, so I can e-mail it (it's a 20.2 MB file) if anybody wants to see it).  I happened to mention about this back last year, but it seems I didn't post the full e-mail at the same time.  I'll do that now.

Looks like you got in touch with the right people at FDOT, kudos for pointing out the needed sign changes!

They still need to address the gap with US 17, which becomes lamely signed as "TO US 17/SR 228" along I-10 and I-95 between Roosevelt and Union/State. A simpler solution to the overlap would have been to send it up McDuff Avenue (partially SR 129) to US 90 (Beaver Street) and overlap it east from there back to Main Street. The Roosevelt Expressway could have remained as "ALT US 17".

In other JAX area news, though posted a day too late:
I-10 interchange improvements at Marietta to Hammond Boulevard

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) will hold an informational open house meeting on Thursday, October 10 between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the West Regional Library on Chaffee Road about an upcoming FDOT project to relocate the I-10/Marietta interchange to Hammond Boulevard.

The meeting will be held in Community Room A at the library at 1425 South Chaffee Road.

FDOT engineers will be available to answer individual questions about the $17.9 million project which is scheduled to start construction on October 14. No formal presentation will occur. FDOT personnel will answer questions including construction schedules, traffic impacts, retention pond locations and other issues related to the project. Project maps will be on display, and individual handouts will be distributed.

Two stubs were added to I-10 during the 2010-12 widening near Hammond Blvd. What type of interchange is proposed?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on October 11, 2013, 12:57:42 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like you got in touch with the right people at FDOT, kudos for pointing out the needed sign changes!

Yes, I did get lucky there.  Let's just hope they do what they said they will do once signage plans come out from the redesign/build team since their design is a tad different from the FDOT one for the interchange area.

Quote from: Alex on October 11, 2013, 12:57:42 PM
They still need to address the gap with US 17, which becomes lamely signed as "TO US 17/SR 228" along I-10 and I-95 between Roosevelt and Union/State. A simpler solution to the overlap would have been to send it up McDuff Avenue (partially SR 129) to US 90 (Beaver Street) and overlap it east from there back to Main Street. The Roosevelt Expressway could have remained as "ALT US 17".

Don't get me started on that one. lol.  This sign in particular really ticks me off since it directs people to the OLD ROUTE when you are currently on US-17 & FL-228 right at that point!  Then when you get off of that exit (it really should have had a I-10 number, but whatever), you see this sign...  After that, you have no more signage to get you back to US-1/FL-228.  Really STUPID move by FDOT here.  The only reason I can think that these signs are this way, is because they were "designed" before those two routes were moved...

FLRoads

FDOT removing 'antiquated' highway motorist call boxes.

QuoteOther than along the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Florida's highways will no longer have the telephone call boxes by the end of January.

The state Department of Transportation is removing all but a few of the 2,752 push button call boxes from along its highways as personal cell phones have reduced the need for the roadside phones.

"The technology is antiquated and we're doing a lot of stuff with ITS (Intelligent Transportation Systems programs) and the Road Rangers."
The ones will remain along the Sunshine Skyway because they are part of a crisis hot line. And with everyday use of cell phones, use of the motorist call boxes has greatly diminished over the last 10 years.

I'm not surprised by this but would hope that some provisions are in place to update some of the existing cell service along portions of Interstate 10 in the Panhandle. I know there are dead spots along certain stretches where my cell phone would have no service or end up going into digital roam.

formulanone

Wonder if they're selling the old ones.

realjd

Quote from: flaroads on October 18, 2013, 08:19:03 PM

QuoteOther than along the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Florida's highways will no longer have the telephone call boxes by the end of January.

The state Department of Transportation is removing all but a few of the 2,752 push button call boxes from along its highways as personal cell phones have reduced the need for the roadside phones.

"The technology is antiquated and we're doing a lot of stuff with ITS (Intelligent Transportation Systems programs) and the Road Rangers."
The ones will remain along the Sunshine Skyway because they are part of a crisis hot line. And with everyday use of cell phones, use of the motorist call boxes has greatly diminished over the last 10 years.

I'm not surprised by this but would hope that some provisions are in place to update some of the existing cell service along portions of Interstate 10 in the Panhandle. I know there are dead spots along certain stretches where my cell phone would have no service or end up going into digital roam.

I'm going to miss these mainly because I'll miss Florida's unique call box mile marker combo signs! They were much easier to see than a standard, boring mile marker.

FLRoads

I noticed on a spur of the moment trip yesterday that there were not many, if at all, any call boxes along I-75 between Tampa and southern Alachua County. Not sure when they were removed.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: realjd on October 20, 2013, 10:07:49 PM
I'm going to miss these mainly because I'll miss Florida's unique call box mile marker combo signs! They were much easier to see than a standard, boring mile marker.

The PA Turnpike does the same thing.
http://goo.gl/maps/PumSJ

realjd

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 21, 2013, 01:07:29 AM
Quote from: realjd on October 20, 2013, 10:07:49 PM

The PA Turnpike does the same thing.
http://goo.gl/maps/PumSJ

Not the same thing. Florida signs were split with half saying "Call Box" on blue and part saying "Mile xxx" in green with the numbers horizontal.

formulanone

Couple of notes from driving a truck along the Turnpike and I-75 northbound...wish I took better notes.

Half-mile markers along a three mile stretch of the Turnpike were re-labeled x.4, since somebody made a mistake. I forget which miles they were, but definitely somewhere between FL 70 and Yeehaw.

Somewhere after FL 50 or so, the new mile markers aren't used on the turnpike.

Stupid construction project around MM 220 (or so) to pave a section across the median - presumably for police and emergency vehicles - a nice F.U. to motorists. It's at one of those two "projected rest stops" that were never built.

Mile markers with I-75 shields from Wildwood to the GA state line are up. Didn't notice those two months ago.

DeaconG

New traffic light assemblies have been put up in Titusville on US 1 to replaced the cable-stayed lights that were present at Knox-McRae, Olmstead and Country Club.  As a consequence, if you are heading northbound on US 1 the right lane green arrows at Knox-McRae and Country Club have been removed, both lanes northbound are now required to stop.  I'm sure they did that to prevent the weaving when people were gauging the change to a red in the left lane at those two intersections and jumping over to the right, but it's going to be a bit dicey with the snowbirds coming down and not realizing the signals have changed.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Alex

Quote from: DeaconG on October 25, 2013, 12:15:52 PM
New traffic light assemblies have been put up in Titusville on US 1 to replaced the cable-stayed lights that were present at Knox-McRae, Olmstead and Country Club.  As a consequence, if you are heading northbound on US 1 the right lane green arrows at Knox-McRae and Country Club have been removed, both lanes northbound are now required to stop.  I'm sure they did that to prevent the weaving when people were gauging the change to a red in the left lane at those two intersections and jumping over to the right, but it's going to be a bit dicey with the snowbirds coming down and not realizing the signals have changed.

We saw that construction at our mini-meet last month. The bypass lane was very handy. Its a shame that they are going by the wayside.

florida

Speaking of Titusville, I'm still mad at myself for never checking Park and South for a keys 405 shield since there was a keys 406 shield at Park and Garden.
So many roads...so little time.

FLRoads

Quote from: florida on October 25, 2013, 02:18:26 PM
Speaking of Titusville, I'm still mad at myself for never checking Park and South for a keys 405 shield since there was a keys 406 shield at Park and Garden.
I believe that Key shield is gone and has been replaced with similar looking shields like these along northbound Park Avenue approaching South Street:

This was taken September 28th, and I remember looking at GSV at the intersection with Florida 406 and seeing this same type of shield. Its apparent that they are city installs...

florida

Quote from: flaroads on October 25, 2013, 06:21:07 PM
Quote from: florida on October 25, 2013, 02:18:26 PM
I believe that Key shield is gone and has been replaced with similar looking shields like these along northbound Park Avenue approaching South Street:

But...was there ever a keys 405 standing in 2003? The keys 406 disappeared sometime during/after 2004, and the city-installed sign is a carbon copy.
So many roads...so little time.

Aerobird

Good heavens, those are some ugly 405 signs.

Yes, because everybody has cell phones...  :rolleyes:
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

brownpelican

I hope they do on I-10.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: Aerobird on October 31, 2013, 01:08:43 PM

Not everyone in Florida.  I get some unusual responses when I state I have no cellphone.

roadman65

Quote from: xcellntbuy on October 31, 2013, 07:46:05 PM

Not everyone in Florida.  I get some unusual responses when I state I have no cellphone.
I know someone who does not have a television or internet.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

Quote from: roadman65 on November 02, 2013, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: xcellntbuy on October 31, 2013, 07:46:05 PM

I know someone who does not have a television or internet.
I don't have a television, either, the Internet or DVDs or the radio are overwhelmingly my choices of entertainment.

CanesFan27

This seems to be the perfect race for those in the hobby!

http://a1amarathon.com/

The course is pretty much run entirely on A1A and previous medals have incorporated the A1A shield.  I think I may have to add this to my goal race list!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.