News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on March 07, 2021, 08:29:49 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 07, 2021, 07:39:59 PM
2)FL 114 doesn't end at US 1 and 17. Why?

It appears SR 114 is just meant to serve the UF Health Jacksonville hospital. It is not signed beyond the one overhead on I-95 north:

This sign was added by 2011, the previous omitted SR 114.

Pictures of the route from a year ago: https://www.aaroads.com/guides/fl-114/

However, FL-114 used to go all the way to US-1/17 in the past.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 07, 2021, 07:39:59 PM
1)A new flyover ramp from northbound I-95 towards I-10 (or somewhere else)

On this, your guess is as good as mine.  No idea why they'd be reconfiguring that area again so soon.

kevinb1994

The reason why a new flyover is being built at the 10 and 95 interchange is for widening purposes. This will solve any possible congestion issues inside the West Beltway (I-295).

florida

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2021, 10:43:08 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 02, 2021, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: Mileage Mike on February 24, 2021, 09:59:14 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 29, 2021, 09:50:30 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 29, 2021, 08:59:21 PM
St. Augustine (US BUS 1, FL A1A)

Got any info/pics on how the US-1 Bus/FL-A1A intersection here was ultimately configured?
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9096336,-81.3203186,238m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO-kBBTxhDY
See 42:45 Mark

Interesting.  Going to have to decide how I want to deal with that on TM.

Also, noticed that the first 'Business US-1' shield was turned around in that video.  I wonder why.

Bigger question why is the straight through US 1 Business signed as San Marco Avenue solo and TO US 1 signed for San Carlos Avenue?

San Carlos is not state maintained at the moment, and the last time I talked to FDOT about the reconstruction project, they said that it will not be state maintained.

I have a hunch that it WAS a leg of SR 5 or A1A back in the day, but I cannot find any corroborating evidence.
So many roads...so little time.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: florida on March 14, 2021, 08:12:48 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2021, 10:43:08 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 02, 2021, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: Mileage Mike on February 24, 2021, 09:59:14 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 29, 2021, 09:50:30 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 29, 2021, 08:59:21 PM
St. Augustine (US BUS 1, FL A1A)

Got any info/pics on how the US-1 Bus/FL-A1A intersection here was ultimately configured?
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9096336,-81.3203186,238m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO-kBBTxhDY
See 42:45 Mark

Interesting.  Going to have to decide how I want to deal with that on TM.

Also, noticed that the first 'Business US-1' shield was turned around in that video.  I wonder why.

Bigger question why is the straight through US 1 Business signed as San Marco Avenue solo and TO US 1 signed for San Carlos Avenue?

San Carlos is not state maintained at the moment, and the last time I talked to FDOT about the reconstruction project, they said that it will not be state maintained.

I have a hunch that it WAS a leg of SR 5 or A1A back in the day, but I cannot find any corroborating evidence.

GIS is currently showing US-1 Business 'ending' @ Cuna Street with FL-A1A & FL-5A only just to the north.

As for San Marco Ave north of the FL-A1A 'split', GIS is still showing it as FL-5A up to FL-16.  Then it shows it becoming CR-5.

If FDOT is giving up San Marco Ave north of FL-A1A, they should take over W San Carlos Ave, and put 5A and US-1 Business onto it so that Business 1 doesn't have a gap.

If they're going the 'gap' way, then they should at minimum go thru the AASHTO and officially shorten US-1 Business.

===

And on a side note, did find this interesting sign on the 'CR-5' segment talking about the reconstruction, and officially referencing it at US-1 Business: https://goo.gl/maps/sz2YAK61sJXhcueD9

ozarkman417

A construction contractor signed an unsigned route when erecting temporary signage along US 301 at I-95. With the unsigned route (at least at that point) being FL 200. No picture, maybe on the way back up north..
With so many unsigned routes in the state, this might not be a unique occurrence?

oscar

Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 14, 2021, 10:20:12 PM
A construction contractor signed an unsigned route when erecting temporary signage along US 301 at I-95. With the unsigned route (at least at that point) being FL 200. No picture, maybe on the way back up north..
With so many unsigned routes in the state, this might not be a unique occurrence?

US 301 doesn't intersect I-95 anywhere in Florida. But FL 200's northern segment does, and has long been signed all the way (concurrent with FL A1A) from Fernandina Beach to its intersection with US 301 in Callahan about a dozen miles west of I-95.

FL 200 also has a southern segment, which intersects I-75 (not I-95) and US 301 near Ocala. AFAIK, that FL 200 segment has also long been signed.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Jim

Quote from: oscar on March 14, 2021, 10:32:41 PM
US 301 doesn't intersect I-95 anywhere in Florida. But FL 200's northern segment does, and has long been signed all the way (concurrent with FL A1A) to its intersection with US 301 in Callahan about a dozen miles west of I-95.

Yes, here's a picture in Callahan just east of where US 301 turns north toward Folkston from back on New Years Day 2005:

Now there is the longstanding oddball Florida 200 on the concurrency with US 301, between Ocala and Starke.

And yes, the southern segment has also long been signed.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

ozarkman417

US 301 at I-95.
I meant to say I-10 here. Clearly two straight days on the road has made an impact on my ability to think.

Alex

Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 14, 2021, 11:24:34 PM
US 301 at I-95.
I meant to say I-10 here. Clearly two straight days on the road has made an impact on my ability to think.

I knew you meant I-10, and have a photo of the contractor signage posted on the site:

01/20/19

pianocello

I've seen it a couple times. During one of the phases of the I-4 Ultimate project, there were temporary FL 438 shields in reference to Princeton St in Orlando, despite FDOT not maintaining that stretch at that time (although in the contractors' defense, it may have still been a State Route when the traffic control plans were made).

Also, SR 45 is the unsigned designation for most of US 41, but it's signed on street blades in a couple places. Here's one in Williston (Link) and one in Newberry (Link).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

NJRoadfan

Figured this would be the place to ask. Is there usually a delay in the Central Florida Expressway posting tolls to a SunPass account? I was on 417 today and the CFX tolls didn't post, while the tolls from the FTE sections are already up. I also have an E-ZPass in the car, but it was wrapped up in a no-read bag and stowed my glove box.

1995hoo

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 15, 2021, 09:31:58 PM
Figured this would be the place to ask. Is there usually a delay in the Central Florida Expressway posting tolls to a SunPass account? I was on 417 today and the CFX tolls didn't post, while the tolls from the FTE sections are already up. I also have an E-ZPass in the car, but it was wrapped up in a no-read bag and stowed my glove box.

In my experience that's often the case. FTE tolls will post more or less immediately, CFX ones will have some delay but not normally more than about a day or so.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Sani

Does anyone have photos of the signs FDOT originally installed on I-75 in Southwest Florida back in the 80s? When my parents and I first drove down to Lee County in 1994, my little roadgeek heart was broken to see all these BGSs with a bunch of blank, green space at the top, and nothing but "Ft. Myers" at the bottom. SR 80, Palm Beach Blvd.? Nope, sorry, just Ft. Myers. Luckett Road? No, you don't put names of streets on freeway signs, just Ft. Myers. This continued all the way down to at least Daniels Parkway, which was at least signed, "Ft. Myers / Cape Coral."

Around 2000, they went back and filled in most of the big empty space on the signs with the state route and the name of the road, albeit in small, uppercase lettering. The signs were again replaced when I-75 was widened to three lanes, and they made the road names a little bit bigger. I don't love this, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, as my dad likes to say.

FLRoads

Quote from: Sani on March 18, 2021, 01:30:53 AM
Does anyone have photos of the signs FDOT originally installed on I-75 in Southwest Florida back in the 80s? When my parents and I first drove down to Lee County in 1994, my little roadgeek heart was broken to see all these BGSs with a bunch of blank, green space at the top, and nothing but "Ft. Myers" at the bottom. SR 80, Palm Beach Blvd.? Nope, sorry, just Ft. Myers. Luckett Road? No, you don't put names of streets on freeway signs, just Ft. Myers. This continued all the way down to at least Daniels Parkway, which was at least signed, "Ft. Myers / Cape Coral."

Around 2000, they went back and filled in most of the big empty space on the signs with the state route and the name of the road, albeit in small, uppercase lettering. The signs were again replaced when I-75 was widened to three lanes, and they made the road names a little bit bigger. I don't love this, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, as my dad likes to say.

You mean like this one:

1.25 mile advance sign for SR 80 (Exit 141) along I-75 south (from the AARoads Albums I-75 FLORIDA ARCHIVE - SOUTH page, taken 07/05/2011)

I grew up down there so am very familiar with those specific guide signs. Unfortunately I do not have any older photos other than the one above which is a carbon copy of the original guide sign for SR 80. IIRC the first advance guide sign never had the SR 80 shield affixed while the second sign had one for a while until it fell off, and FDOT never replaced it. Given the freeway was completed by 1979 through Fort Myers, and the fact that it was traveling along a rural setting at that time, FDOT used their rural style guide signs (which only depict the control destination). It was like that for almost all guide signs along I-75 in SWFL since the majority of the region wasn't as built up as it is today.

On a separate note, it would please me if Lee County (and Sarasota County for that matter) can sign their CRs as they are depicted along I-75, as it would give those guide signs more validity. Until it was posted back in the 2000s, even I had no clue that Luckett Road doubled as CR 810, or that Alico Road was supposed to be CR 840.

Sani

Quote from: flaroads on March 19, 2021, 09:43:14 PM
I grew up down there so am very familiar with those specific guide signs. Unfortunately I do not have any older photos other than the one above which is a carbon copy of the original guide sign for SR 80. IIRC the first advance guide sign never had the SR 80 shield affixed while the second sign had one for a while until it fell off, and FDOT never replaced it. Given the freeway was completed by 1979 through Fort Myers, and the fact that it was traveling along a rural setting at that time, FDOT used their rural style guide signs (which only depict the control destination). It was like that for almost all guide signs along I-75 in SWFL since the majority of the region wasn't as built up as it is today.

On a separate note, it would please me if Lee County (and Sarasota County for that matter) can sign their CRs as they are depicted along I-75, as it would give those guide signs more validity. Until it was posted back in the 2000s, even I had no clue that Luckett Road doubled as CR 810, or that Alico Road was supposed to be CR 840.
Yes, exactly like that! Did FDOT run out of money right before they put up the shields and road names in 1979?

And I feel like the CR numbers were added to roads with interchanges that didn't already have them as part of the widening. I never saw any reference to Luckett Road being CR 810 until it showed up on I-75. It's almost like FDOT said, "Look, we can't put the name of the road on the sign unless you give us a county shield number to put up next to it, so figure it out."

formulanone

Quote from: Sani on March 20, 2021, 01:12:44 AM
Quote from: flaroads on March 19, 2021, 09:43:14 PM

Yes, exactly like that! Did FDOT run out of money right before they put up the shields and road names in 1979?

And I feel like the CR numbers were added to roads with interchanges that didn't already have them as part of the widening. I never saw any reference to Luckett Road being CR 810 until it showed up on I-75. It's almost like FDOT said, "Look, we can't put the name of the road on the sign unless you give us a county shield number to put up next to it, so figure it out."

I actually like the non-MUTCD format with the road's local name as well as the shield combination, because there's going to be those who work with road names (especially when given directions) and those using the numbers off the map. But if there's no number posted, there's no reason to add to the confusion of the sign.

A lot of SW Florida didn't post reassurance shields for county roads until the mid-2000s. The county route numbers were typically only used for the discontinuous state roads with a similar number. Collier County was a little better at it than Lee County, because of the dearth of SRs after the 1970s.

I have a handful of photos from 1992, but only on the "Alligator Alley" portion of what was to become I-75.

btl1016

Update on the FL-Turnpike widening project in South Orlando from 528-Osceola Parkway. Crews have been busy the past two weeks starting to put down the final layer of pavement on the Turnpike mainline. Sadly there's still no progress on CFX paving their portion by connecting the finished flyover ramps from the Turnpike to the 417 mainline.

NJRoadfan

Drove the Orange Blossom Trail/John Young Parkway today and it was..... somewhat terrifying. Do pedestrians have a death wish just randomly walking out into the middle of a busy highway? Looks like the widening to Poinciana Blvd is progressing slowly. I don't see how it will do much to relive traffic though. Do they plan on building an interchange or something there?

The amount of traffic in the middle of the day around here just boggles the mind.

roadman65

Sure. Everybody moves to Florida cause they want to live in warmth and think they are getting a break but they are not.

Pedestrians are the worst and luckily they haven't got hit yet got clobbered.  So they will continue to do it as that area gets more urbanized.  It changed so much since I moved there in 1990.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2021, 09:44:21 PM
In my experience that's often the case. FTE tolls will post more or less immediately, CFX ones will have some delay but not normally more than about a day or so.

Just an update on this. The CFX tolls still haven't posted....and they didn't read my E-ZPass by mistake as I checked my account. I did the scotch tape trick with the SunPass transponder, so I hope it read! The FTE toll transactions indicated that my tag was read, not my plate. The transactions posted immediately as "Transaction Type: Transponder Toll", so I suspect the transponder was working fine as debiting by plate usually takes time.

btl1016

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 23, 2021, 05:33:30 PM
Drove the Orange Blossom Trail/John Young Parkway today and it was..... somewhat terrifying. Do pedestrians have a death wish just randomly walking out into the middle of a busy highway? Looks like the widening to Poinciana Blvd is progressing slowly. I don't see how it will do much to relive traffic though. Do they plan on building an interchange or something there?

The amount of traffic in the middle of the day around here just boggles the mind.

Kissimmee/Poinciana has one of the worst road grid systems anywhere I've seen in the state of Florida. The John Young Parkway/Pleasant Hill Rd intersection is a complete disaster and backs up pretty much the entire day due to the vast majority of the traffic wanting to turn left onto Pleasant Hill Rd from JYP to head down to Poinciana. During the PM rush hour, SB John Young Parkway regularly backs for miles all the way to 192/Vine St in Kissimmee. A flyover ramp from SB JYP to SB Pleasant Hill Rd needed to be built yesterday!

roadman65

And Clay Street is no longer a good alternate either as many have discovered that route to circumvent. The problem is everybody wanted to move to Poinciana that has no economy other than food, retail, and the hospital.  So for work everybody must travel north into Orlando and make Kissimmee a nightmare to pass through even locally.  Poinciana Blvd at US 192 ain’t no better either.

A flyover is planned but when it will be constructed is anyone’s guess. The City of Kissimmee though is building Hoagland Blvd. to extend south of its four lane end near the airport there, but with Tapestry development over the cattle land north of US 192 that may not be a shortcut to JYP as traffic builds up into US 192 from where the changing point from Carroll to Hoagland takes place to that signal there. Then you have the Osceola Parkway Shunpikers using Dyer and Carroll/ Hoagland to US 192 which really doesn’t save time or distance over the price of the toll. However the GPS is Simon and Simon says to turn left onto Dyer from Osceola and pass through 3 School Zones, heavy local and other traffic.

Central Florida had no planning for any of this. Build now and deal with traffic later. Now we are 30 years behind and new roads just spawn more developers and TS to all us who have to leave for work an hour early now due to greedy developers and politicians and the new homes to attract the South Americans and New Yorkers who want to trade snow and higher taxes for palm trees.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

I'm staying further west just over the Polk line. The biggest problem seems to be the lack of thru north-south routes to US-192. You basically have Poinciana Blvd, Old Lake Wilson... and that's it. Interstate 4 is usually parked and a bad option too. The only other decent route is to schlep over to US-27 or brave US-17-92.

btl1016

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2021, 01:33:08 AM
And Clay Street is no longer a good alternate either as many have discovered that route to circumvent. The problem is everybody wanted to move to Poinciana that has no economy other than food, retail, and the hospital.  So for work everybody must travel north into Orlando and make Kissimmee a nightmare to pass through even locally.  Poinciana Blvd at US 192 ain't no better either.

A flyover is planned but when it will be constructed is anyone's guess. The City of Kissimmee though is building Hoagland Blvd. to extend south of its four lane end near the airport there, but with Tapestry development over the cattle land north of US 192 that may not be a shortcut to JYP as traffic builds up into US 192 from where the changing point from Carroll to Hoagland takes place to that signal there. Then you have the Osceola Parkway Shunpikers using Dyer and Carroll/ Hoagland to US 192 which really doesn't save time or distance over the price of the toll. However the GPS is Simon and Simon says to turn left onto Dyer from Osceola and pass through 3 School Zones, heavy local and other traffic.

Central Florida had no planning for any of this. Build now and deal with traffic later. Now we are 30 years behind and new roads just spawn more developers and TS to all us who have to leave for work an hour early now due to greedy developers and politicians and the new homes to attract the South Americans and New Yorkers who want to trade snow and higher taxes for palm trees.

The Hoagland extension has been open for a few months now and it seems to have helped the traffic on Poinciana Blvd somewhat, but has made traffic much worse on 192 now at the Hoagland/192 interchange near the old Osceola Square Mall. It can now take 10 mins to travel 1 mile on 192 now from the Bass Rd Walmart to Hoagland now. The county and FDOT need to focus and fix JYP ASAP by finish the widening from 4 to 6 lanes from Patrick St to Pleasant Hill and prepare for a flyover ramp. The widening of JYP would remove the merge down to 2 lanes before the railroad bridge and could cause the traffic backups to not be as severe until the flyover is complete. Also bridging Poinciana Blvd over both Old Tampa Hwy and 17/92 would help the area as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.