News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Yup, they're part of AutoNation. They have over 200 dealers nationwide, which makes them the biggest dealer group in the US. All that from a small used car lot which is now Vista BMW/Mini in Coconut Creek.

clef

Drove by a state named JCT I-4 this week but couldn't snag a photo. There's another.

NE2

The most recent GIS data (January 4) has two new routes (which were probably added sometime last year):
*210: McWhorter Avenue/77th Special Forces Way at the new SR 85 interchange (probably unsigned)
*388: former CR 388 from 79 to 77, passing the new Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on January 06, 2014, 02:22:06 AM
*388: former CR 388 from 79 to 77, passing the new Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport

Drove on that one last month; having looked at an old 1998 AAA map, it was also an SR back then. Maybe it was downgraded again (like the CR 388 segment just northeast of it) at some point?

Not that AAA is perfect, either...

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on January 06, 2014, 02:58:17 AM
Drove on that one last month; having looked at an old 1998 AAA map, it was also an SR back then. Maybe it was downgraded again (like the CR 388 segment just northeast of it) at some point?
Was it signed as SR 388 when you drove it?

It definitely was SR 388 back in the day: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00017213/00001/1x?vo=32&vp=503,1753

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Unfortunately, I don't have the map with me right now.

These were from December. FL 79, southbound:

On FL 388:

79 just north of the first shot was under construction for about 10 miles. Stuck behind a cop doing 35, a double yellow line, and absolutely no traffic going in the other direction. [/vent]

emory

There will be a public hearing on January 21st to discuss the Brickell Avenue (US 1/SR 5) transfer to Miami.

Due to the relinquishment, US 1/SR 5 will be realigned in Miami. It will shift at the Downtown Distributor over to I-95, and cosign with I-95 all the way to its southern terminus. US 41/SR 90 will assume the former US 1 alignment from Tamiami Trail to Biscayne Blvd.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: emory on January 07, 2014, 06:10:23 PM
There will be a public hearing on January 21st to discuss the Brickell Avenue (US 1/SR 5) transfer to Miami.

Due to the relinquishment, US 1/SR 5 will be realigned in Miami. It will shift at the Downtown Distributor over to I-95, and cosign with I-95 all the way to its southern terminus. US 41/SR 90 will assume the former US 1 alignment from Tamiami Trail to Biscayne Blvd.

So, I'm guessing the signage hasn't been changed yet.  Maybe with the realignment of US-1, they will finally post US-41 signage to it's true end, FL-A1A on the beaches @ Washington Ave (FDOT never submitted a proposal to shorten the highway to US-1 to the AASHTO and FDOT's GIS data still shows it going to that intersection).

emory

I hope not because I think it'll just make things more confusing. However I prefer the CalTrans method of one-highway-one-number signage.

formulanone

Quote from: emory on January 07, 2014, 09:53:38 PM
I hope not because I think it'll just make things more confusing. However I prefer the CalTrans method of one-highway-one-number signage.

Since I-95 would still terminate just about a mile or so short of US 1's proposed alignment, I'm not sure how the duplex be posted. My guess is with redundant "TO US 1" signage, since Florida doesn't seem to co-sign Interstates with anything else.

Wouldn't mind an FL 90 shield showing up as an Easter Egg.

emory

I-275 cosigns with US 19 over the Sunshine Skyway in Tampa, so it's not unheard of. Also US 17 cosigns with interstates in Jacksonville.

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 07, 2014, 06:52:21 PM

So, I'm guessing the signage hasn't been changed yet.  Maybe with the realignment of US-1, they will finally post US-41 signage to it's true end, FL-A1A on the beaches @ Washington Ave (FDOT never submitted a proposal to shorten the highway to US-1 to the AASHTO and FDOT's GIS data still shows it going to that intersection).
Who do you believe? There are many cases of states and FHWA disagreeing - I-676 and I-495 NY are the closest ones to me. Do you go with the Federal definition or the state definition? It's a Federally designated highway, but it's also a state route.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Steve on January 07, 2014, 11:23:56 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 07, 2014, 06:52:21 PM

Who do you believe? There are many cases of states and FHWA disagreeing - I-676 and I-495 NY are the closest ones to me. Do you go with the Federal definition or the state definition? It's a Federally designated highway, but it's also a state route.

Well, both the AASHTO and FDOT agree it goes to the Beaches along FL-A1A.  It just seems that FDOT in the Miami area is just being lazy in not posting it anymore.

florida

Quote from: NE2 on January 06, 2014, 02:22:06 AM
The most recent GIS data (January 4) has two new routes (which were probably added sometime last year):
*210: McWhorter Avenue/77th Special Forces Way at the new SR 85 interchange (probably unsigned)

About SR 388, I had wondered if they'd add it because of the new airport. FDOT loves those type of connectivity things. (Side note, this route added over 12 miles to the system.)

SR 210 is only 0.269 miles long from the South-bound SR 85 ramps to the North-bound SR 85 ramps.

The proposal for US 1 in Miami is a shock. Will SR 972 continue to end at Brickell or will they truncate it to either the I-95 overpass or SR 933?

So many roads...so little time.

emory

No documents indicate FL 972 will change. In fact, the Transit Miami website was raising a big stink over this because FDOT is actually going to control MORE Miami streets when this is finally settled.

florida

Quote from: emory on January 08, 2014, 03:15:44 AM
No documents indicate FL 972 will change. In fact, the Transit Miami website was raising a big stink over this because FDOT is actually going to control MORE Miami streets when this is finally settled.

That doesn't make sense. FDOT already transferred SR 968 in Downtown Miami a few years back. Now, US 1 is being rerouted off that section of Brickell. There are plenty of other 'useless' maintained roads down there (972 and 986 come to mind), plus there was little bits of talk about getting rid of SR 847 in the future.

emory

Quote from: florida on January 08, 2014, 04:25:41 PM
That doesn't make sense. FDOT already transferred SR 968 in Downtown Miami a few years back. Now, US 1 is being rerouted off that section of Brickell. There are plenty of other 'useless' maintained roads down there (972 and 986 come to mind), plus there was little bits of talk about getting rid of SR 847 in the future.

I agree. I don't get why FDOT wants control over more Miami streets. Someone at Transit Miami speculated that it's because the new streets they plan to adopt have paid parking on them and they want a piece of that. You can see what they plan to adopt here: http://www.transitmiami.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/FDOT_CoM_Transfer.jpg

NE2

The I-95 frontage roads are an obvious addition (though without a block of NW 2nd Avenue it's a bit silly). The restoration of 968 to US 1...well, it does improve connectivity, but it's really only local traffic, especially once the port tunnel opens.

formulanone

Quote from: florida on January 08, 2014, 04:25:41 PMThere are plenty of other 'useless' maintained roads down there (972 and 986 come to mind), plus there was little bits of talk about getting rid of SR 847 in the future.

972 is part of historic Coral Way, so I don't think that should disappear. 986 is just another E-W route in the area, but I don't get the point of maintaining less than three miles of a route which spans well over forty in total (SR 847).

Alex

Quote from: mefailenglish on December 29, 2013, 05:51:12 PM
I passed one yesterday in the rain heading southbound on 95, a bit north of the welcome center.

Saw that one as well, was glad to see it.

A new I-10 FL mainline entry appeared recently as well at U.S. 301:

florida

Quote from: NE2 on January 08, 2014, 05:42:00 PM
The I-95 frontage roads are an obvious addition (though without a block of NW 2nd Avenue it's a bit silly). The restoration of 968 to US 1...well, it does improve connectivity, but it's really only local traffic, especially once the port tunnel opens.

Are frontage roads really considered to be part of a mainline state route? There have been on- and off-ramps listed in the Straight Line Diagrams, but they end up disappearing in the next update.

Quote from: formulanone on January 08, 2014, 07:49:02 PM
Quote from: florida on January 08, 2014, 04:25:41 PMThere are plenty of other 'useless' maintained roads down there (972 and 986 come to mind), plus there was little bits of talk about getting rid of SR 847 in the future.

972 is part of historic Coral Way, so I don't think that should disappear. 986 is just another E-W route in the area, but I don't get the point of maintaining less than three miles of a route which spans well over forty in total (SR 847).

986 connects nowhere (Horse Country "A Miami-Dade Community") to nothing ( http://goo.gl/maps/RIZ0X ).
847 never went north of Pembroke Road in Broward County, and I don't think anything ever connected to it.

NE2

Quote from: florida on January 09, 2014, 03:43:46 PM
Are frontage roads really considered to be part of a mainline state route?
It probably depends, but city streets that serve as frontage roads are usually not. Hence it making sense to take these over, as they connect I-95 and SR 968.

emory

Quote from: florida on January 09, 2014, 03:43:46 PM
Are frontage roads really considered to be part of a mainline state route? There have been on- and off-ramps listed in the Straight Line Diagrams, but they end up disappearing in the next update.

Well, there's FL 84 in Broward.

Quote from: florida on January 09, 2014, 03:43:46 PM986 connects nowhere (Horse Country "A Miami-Dade Community") to nothing ( http://goo.gl/maps/RIZ0X ).
847 never went north of Pembroke Road in Broward County, and I don't think anything ever connected to it.

Oh man, there's so many state roads in Dade County, and some in Broward, I'd like to see go away. The southern segment of FL 825 is one. It connects FL 94 to a few parks and the air museum. 932, 969, 933 and 944 as well.

cpzilliacus

NewGeography.com: Highway Eye-4, Revisited

QuoteInterstate 4. It is a unique highway which is cursed by many drivers in Central Florida, and many more who come here in search of rest and relaxation. While Californians raise all highways to royal status – Interstate 5, for one, is referred to as "the five", as if it were some kind of important personage – Floridians just call their central artery I-four. My decision to chronicle I-4 was sparked by a recent experience. Along with my family, I was caught in a traffic jam as we headed east on I-4 outside of Disney World. I have been stuck on this very spot many times. But on this trip, as we sat listening to Janis Joplin, something new happened.

QuoteAlong this stretch, one can take an off-ramp that runs parallel to the interstate, linking it to one of Central Florida's toll roads. It travels for a couple miles in close proximity, and is elevated along a ridge of grass about 10 feet above the surface of I-4.

QuoteA ditch and a grassy embankment separate the off ramp and the interstate. As we watched, a driver in the right lane of I-4 turned off of the interstate, crossed the shoulder, went down into the ditch, and climbed up onto the parallel road, speeding away and out of the traffic jam. At first, one person did it, and then others followed. And then, about 500 feet ahead, we saw another stream of cars doing the exact same thing. And then, ahead of that stream, yet another stream of drivers drove over the embankment. It wasn't one or two cars, it was dozens and dozens; an en masse sheet flow ripping up the grass. People, fed up with the traffic mess, had taken matters into their own hands. And they were speeding away.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

xcellntbuy

I do not go much beyond work and home these days.  Nonetheless, I had occasion to travel to a business meeting in tiny Pembroke Park, FL, nestled between western Hallandale Beach and eastern Miramar, FL on FL 858 (Hallandale Beach Blvd.).  The BGS on the entrances-to and -on the Florida's Turnpike put the "B" in big green signs.  Enormous signs, with large gantries and poles to match.  Upward pointing directional arrows on the Turnpike for the split between the old Turnpike and the Homestead Extension at exit 47.  If any our members happen to be in that area, there is plenty to see.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.