News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 11, 2014, 05:07:38 PM
QuoteAlong this stretch, one can take an off-ramp that runs parallel to the interstate, linking it to one of Central Florida's toll roads. It travels for a couple miles in close proximity, and is elevated along a ridge of grass about 10 feet above the surface of I-4.

QuoteA ditch and a grassy embankment separate the off ramp and the interstate. As we watched, a driver in the right lane of I-4 turned off of the interstate, crossed the shoulder, went down into the ditch, and climbed up onto the parallel road, speeding away and out of the traffic jam. At first, one person did it, and then others followed. And then, about 500 feet ahead, we saw another stream of cars doing the exact same thing. And then, ahead of that stream, yet another stream of drivers drove over the embankment. It wasn't one or two cars, it was dozens and dozens; an en masse sheet flow ripping up the grass. People, fed up with the traffic mess, had taken matters into their own hands. And they were speeding away.

I experienced and partook in this same concept on our way to the Orlando road meet in 2006. Traffic on I-4 east ground to a halt, and a number of motorists drove up the embankment onto the adjacent SR 417 toll carriageway. We did this and took it east to John Young Parkway north back to I-4 and on to the meet. Still got there late, but only NE2 had gotten there before us.

DAL764

Quote from: Alex on January 11, 2014, 08:54:27 PM
QuoteAlong this stretch, one can take an off-ramp that runs parallel to the interstate, linking it to one of Central Florida's toll roads. It travels for a couple miles in close proximity, and is elevated along a ridge of grass about 10 feet above the surface of I-4.

QuoteA ditch and a grassy embankment separate the off ramp and the interstate. As we watched, a driver in the right lane of I-4 turned off of the interstate, crossed the shoulder, went down into the ditch, and climbed up onto the parallel road, speeding away and out of the traffic jam. At first, one person did it, and then others followed. And then, about 500 feet ahead, we saw another stream of cars doing the exact same thing. And then, ahead of that stream, yet another stream of drivers drove over the embankment. It wasn't one or two cars, it was dozens and dozens; an en masse sheet flow ripping up the grass. People, fed up with the traffic mess, had taken matters into their own hands. And they were speeding away.

I experienced and partook in this same concept on our way to the Orlando road meet in 2006. Traffic on I-4 east ground to a halt, and a number of motorists drove up the embankment onto the adjacent SR 417 toll carriageway. We did this and took it east to John Young Parkway north back to I-4 and on to the meet. Still got there late, but only NE2 had gotten there before us.
Not knowing the regulations in Florida, what would your fine be if the police were to catch you doing that? Not that I think the police would even bother if cars were doing this by the dozens.

As a side, I often forget just how long the 417 exit ramp from I-4 NB is and actually begins at the World Drive interchange.

Alex

Quote from: DAL764 on January 12, 2014, 06:45:26 AM
Quote from: Alex on January 11, 2014, 08:54:27 PM

Not knowing the regulations in Florida, what would your fine be if the police were to catch you doing that? Not that I think the police would even bother if cars were doing this by the dozens.

As a side, I often forget just how long the 417 exit ramp from I-4 NB is and actually begins at the World Drive interchange.

Florida 417 starts as amid the c/d roadways for World Drive and Celebration. The carriageways run along side one another for 2.1 miles before parting ways.

Every time I have partaken in such a thing, I have been one of dozens and it was due to some monumental traffic jam. IOW I would never attempt to do such a thing on my own...

I have driven the wrong way on a I-275 on-ramp ahead of the Howard Frankland Bridge with many others once; I used the maintenance u-turn below the south end of the Howard Frankland as one of a long line doing so as well to avoid another traffic halt. Once also drove the wrong way up an on-ramp to I-95 northbound from US 301 in NC when traffic came to an abrupt stop, following others back to US 301 north. All four times I joined others doing that sure beat the alternative of sitting there and not moving (as I did on I-85 once in SC for three whole hours, which did lead to police directing everyone northbound on the southbound carriageway back to the previous off-ramp).

jwolfer

Quote from: emory on January 07, 2014, 10:29:24 PM
I-275 cosigns with US 19 over the Sunshine Skyway in Tampa, so it's not unheard of. Also US 17 cosigns with interstates in Jacksonville.

US 17 is not really signed on the mainline at all. US17 and SR228 are routed on I-10 and I-95 near downtown.  However its a secret to everyone but roadgeeks and FL DOT employees on the mainline.  In fact the exit for Forest St is signed at "TO" US17/ FL 228.

NE2

Quote from: jwolfer on January 14, 2014, 10:30:37 AM
In fact the exit for Forest St is signed at "TO" US17/ FL 228.
Which isn't even where US 17/SR 228 exits. Someone was working with the old alignment when making those sign plans.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

A new State Road 690 designation will eventually be applied over what is now CR 296 in Pinellas between US 19 and I-275/SR 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard).

NE2

Quote from: Alex on January 14, 2014, 02:00:05 PM
A new State Road 690 designation will eventually be applied over what is now CR 296 in Pinellas between US 19 and I-275/SR 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard).
About a decade ago the short piece from I-275 was being inventoried as SR 692. Now it's a spur of SR 686 (signed as CR 296, of course).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NJRoadfan

Its nice that they finally completed that interchange at 118th St. I guess that is going to be the freeway-to-freeway connector between I-275 and traffic wanting to head north on US-19. There is plans of that project online somewhere showing the overpass upgrades, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.

NE2

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 14, 2014, 04:17:53 PM
There is plans of that project online somewhere showing the overpass upgrades, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.
http://archived.fdotd7studies.com/cr296/us19-to-roosevelt/
http://archived.fdotd7studies.com/cr296/us19-to-roosevelt/wp-content/themes/d7studiesarchived/images/pdf/118th-Ave-FPER-Rev-12-31-05-w_Figs_noAppendix.pdf (p. 15) shows both planned routes, to US 19 and to the Bayside Bridge. The latter is also hidden in an airport expansion PDF:
Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2013, 03:34:05 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 09, 2013, 01:33:31 AM
Any actual project plans available for this? Curious how they are going to squeeze in a new roadway given how built up that area is.
http://www.fly2pie.com/media/Projects-Master_Plan/10-Chapter9.pdf pages 5-6. The part connecting to I-275 has already been built.
which is no longer online, but archived: http://web.archive.org/web/20101225030025/http://www.fly2pie.com/media/Projects-Master_Plan/10-Chapter9.pdf

realjd

It appears that Florida is trying to one up South Carolina and build big fancy gateways at the state lines:
http://www.floridatoday.com/viewart/20140116/NEWS01/140116009/Welcome-Florida-not-welcoming-enough-

formulanone

Quote from: realjd on January 16, 2014, 03:41:34 PM
It appears that Florida is trying to one up South Carolina and build big fancy gateways at the state lines:
http://www.floridatoday.com/viewart/20140116/NEWS01/140116009/Welcome-Florida-not-welcoming-enough-

Perhaps too many folks were making illegal U-turns when they saw Rick Scott's name.

Using the FDOT organizational chart for reference, the Guv's name should be under every resident's on the welcome sign. :sombrero:

1995hoo

That thing looks cable-stayed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

Want to bet that a big rig will take one down within a week of one going up? lol.

NE2

The big rig was only standing its ground.

agentsteel53

QuoteFlorida's push to attract 100 million visitors this year

that's just insulting our intelligence.  we know a hellhole when we see one.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2014, 01:25:38 PM

But if we stop fooling the visitors, we may have to start paying income tax!

Quote from: formulanone on January 16, 2014, 04:29:02 PM

Perhaps too many folks were making illegal U-turns when they saw Rick Scott's name.

Using the FDOT organizational chart for reference, the Guv's name should be under every resident's on the welcome sign. :sombrero:

Ah yes, our illustrious Governor Voldemort. One of the few politicians universally despised by both Republicans and Democrats.

They're probably only putting these in because his wife owns one of the contractors.

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2014, 01:25:38 PM

60 million for Disney World, and 40 for million for Miami International Airport, then?

(Note, I'm making up the first figure. Disney doesn't release turnstile counts.)

NE2

NE2

This is a little silly. If you follow signs from US 41 north to SR 82 east you end up going like this. Signs for US 41 Business north point this way (except that the first one on the exit from US 41 has it over the wrong lane). So far so good.

But signage for SR 80 east takes you like this, and then you end up on SR 82 with no signs pointing left on Evans (as of 2012; it may have changed since then). I understand that the former route was given to the city, but at least sign the way to get around. And westbound is no better - signs still point straight across Fowler, but there's nothing after that. US 41 Business southbound seems to just disappear too.

emory

Ha. That is strange. It's like they relinquished the road, began resigning, and gave up. I could understand the city not wanting them to direct traffic down the former FL 80.

If you're driving east down FL 842/Broward Blvd to the route gap at US 1, good luck trying to find the continuation using only signage. You can't.

formulanone

Quote from: emory on January 20, 2014, 08:20:07 AM
If you're driving east down FL 842/Broward Blvd to the route gap at US 1, good luck trying to find the continuation using only signage. You can't.

Las Olas is odd about signage, it's only marked with FL 842 shields around A1A, but rarely elsewhere along the eastern split. Perhaps this is because Las Olas Blvd continues west of US 1, and the road's name is much more famous than its number by locals and tourists. There's also the Kinney Tunnel somewhat in the way...

I wouldn't say that jumps in route continuity are rare in Florida, it's just rare they're signed with "TO"s if they are anything other than US Routes.

emory

Quote from: formulanone on January 20, 2014, 09:14:10 AM

Las Olas is odd about signage, it's only marked with FL 842 shields around A1A, but rarely elsewhere along the eastern split. Perhaps this is because Las Olas Blvd continues west of US 1, and the road's name is much more famous than its number by locals and tourists. There's also the Kinney Tunnel somewhat in the way...

I wouldn't say that jumps in route continuity are rare in Florida, it's just rare they're signed with "TO"s if they are anything other than US Routes.

I wonder if the city of Ft. Lauderdale didn't want FDOT to direct traffic down the former segment of FL 842 on Las Olas Blvd. It's a very pedestrian friendly area. Directing traffic down Broward and SE 17 Avenue wouldn't be wise either because even though FL 842 resumes at Las Olas and 17th before the bridge, motorists can't turn left off of 17th. Not to mention it sends you through small two-lane neighborhood roads.

NE2

It's not quite SR 842 signage, but the Goog shows a small green sign pointing right on 15th for "Beach/A1A via Las Olas Blvd".

PS: Is that a faded red US 1 at the onramp from Las Olas westbound?

clef

Quote from: NE2 on January 20, 2014, 12:01:00 PM
It's not quite SR 842 signage, but the Goog shows a small green sign pointing right on 15th for "Beach/A1A via Las Olas Blvd".

I think so, but I also think it was replaced recently

emory

Quote from: NE2 on January 20, 2014, 12:01:00 PM

Yeah that sign has been there since the 90s. It's something, but there needs to be either TO 842 or TO A1A/Beaches somewhere at the US 1/SR 842 interchange. I'd be all for FDOT turning over the rest of Las Olas Blvd to the locals, but they're so insistent on maintaining every road in Broward County that connects US 1 to FL A1A.

I hope the city didn't replace that red US 1 on Las Olas.

Quote from: formulanone on January 20, 2014, 09:14:10 AM

If a segment of a state road is relinquished and it's not a terminus, the city really should erect new trailblazer signs, or leave the signs up. FL 590 in Pinellas County had a piece turned over to Safety Harbor, so the city added "TO" and arrow signs onto the existing shields. Exceptions are understandable if the route is on a contiguous road that one can drive on without knowing they technically left the state route for a bit. SR 820/Hollywood Blvd is a good example of that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.