News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

SLDs and GIS show a bunch of new (unsigned) state roads as part of the Wekiva Parkway project (listed from west to east):
SR 461 (11000196) Old McDonald Road from new 46 underpass to old 46
SR 463 (11000193) Cypress Mill Access Road from new 46 to old 46
SR 460 (11000199) Cypress Mill Road from old 46 to old 46A
SR 465 (11000194) Sleepy Bear Lane from new 46 to old 46A
SR 462 (11000198) Deerwood Farms Road from dead end to old 46
SR 467 (11000197) Deerwood Farms Road from old 46 to new 46
SR 469 (11321000) Bear Pond Drive from new 46 to old 46
SR 466 (11322000) Bronson Road from Wekiva River Road to dead end

There are several pieces of old 46 that are still inventoried as SR 46:
461 to dead end west of 465
462 to dead end east of 467
dead end past 469 to dead end
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

RG407

Quote from: NE2 on July 09, 2023, 09:20:28 PM
SLDs and GIS show a bunch of new (unsigned) state roads as part of the Wekiva Parkway project (listed from west to east)

Interesting how so many 46x's weren't already in use elsewhere. 

My guess is these are temporary designations made as part of the construction of the Wekiva Parkway and these roads will be turned over to local control at some point in the future.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 09, 2023, 10:38:53 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2023, 10:42:32 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 08, 2023, 10:27:45 PM
Noxon appears on this 1948 map

For clarity you're referring to the C.S. Hammond 1948 map of Florida?  That has Noxon on it, unfortunately the link to David Rumsey was pulling up 120,000 plus results.  And yes, Noxon is shown on the Seaboard line where it was suspected to be above.  Likely Noxon was nothing much more than a siding that never took off.

Correct...weird...the link goes directly to the map on both my laptop and PC but does what you described on my iPhone.

Anyway, I found it on another map (1978) that pinpoints its location a little better:
https://ufdc.ufl.edu/uf90000337/00001
This one also shows two communities on the west and east sides of US 17-92 between Davenport and Loughman named "Numerous Potholes."
;-)

There's still one other irrelevant question I have which nobody has answered yet;

When was US 19-98 widened into a four-lane divided highway, and was the Gulf Hammock Wayside Park that Georgia-Pacific donated in 1969 part of the widening project?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 10, 2023, 05:06:44 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 09, 2023, 10:38:53 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2023, 10:42:32 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on July 08, 2023, 10:27:45 PM
Noxon appears on this 1948 map

For clarity you're referring to the C.S. Hammond 1948 map of Florida?  That has Noxon on it, unfortunately the link to David Rumsey was pulling up 120,000 plus results.  And yes, Noxon is shown on the Seaboard line where it was suspected to be above.  Likely Noxon was nothing much more than a siding that never took off.

Correct...weird...the link goes directly to the map on both my laptop and PC but does what you described on my iPhone.

Anyway, I found it on another map (1978) that pinpoints its location a little better:
https://ufdc.ufl.edu/uf90000337/00001
This one also shows two communities on the west and east sides of US 17-92 between Davenport and Loughman named "Numerous Potholes."
;-)

There's still one other irrelevant question I have which nobody has answered yet;

When was US 19-98 widened into a four-lane divided highway, and was the Gulf Hammock Wayside Park that Georgia-Pacific donated in 1969 part of the widening project?

Now known as "Old Tampa Highway."  Numerous Potholes would be a pretty fitting description of that old brick grade.

roadman65

https://i4beyond.com/alertemails/EB-I-4-exit71-to-Central-FL-Pkwy-closure-20230426.png
On the detour map they want drivers to go from SR 528 EB to I Drive SB not using the ramps. :-D
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

FLRoads

Quote from: roadman65 on August 26, 2023, 02:14:25 PM
https://i4beyond.com/alertemails/EB-I-4-exit71-to-Central-FL-Pkwy-closure-20230426.png
On the detour map they want drivers to go from SR 528 EB to I Drive SB not using the ramps. :-D
Of course nobody would follow that detour. People have been making the right turn at the end of the ramp anyway. When I used that ramp last month (to see what construction was going on), I turned left on Central Florida Parkway instead, then made the U-turn at Palm Parkway/Turkey Lake Road. Luckily didn't have to wait long for the light. But almost everyone else turned right...

D-Dey65

That canopy of diesel fuel pumps in Perry that was blown over by Hurricane Idalia;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UBMtgY2KE4
Was one that I took a picture of in May 2023.

Zoom in on that canopy in the background for confirmation.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone live in Idalia's path? I'd hate for anything bad to happen to my fellow AARoads posters.

Max Rockatansky

My sister does, she is out near Brooksville.  She hasn't noted anything too spectacular from this storm. 

That said, given I also used to live in the area I'm amused that I actually was nominally affected by a storm out here in California.  Truth be told, I'm glad to have hurricane and tropical storm worries off my plate.  I hated being the Hurricane EM coordinator for my facilities and all that entailed.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 30, 2023, 07:14:04 PM
My sister does, she is out near Brooksville.  She hasn't noted anything too spectacular from this storm. 
Brooksville is nowhere near the path of Idalia. That doesn't mean that the city or any other part of Hernando County wasn't affected by it. My main concerns are places like Inglis, Gulf Hammock, Fanning Springs, and Old Town.

Inglis because of the "No Services" sign;
https://www.aaroads.com/fl/019/us-019-098-n-at-inglis-av.jpg
Gulf Hammock because of the old P&M logging locomotive (I still haven't received any info on whether there was a connection between the wayside and the widening of US 19-98);
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Patterson-McInnis_Sawmill_Locomotive_3-02.jpg
Fanning Springs because of the Agricultural Inspection station, the approaching signs and Levy CR 55A.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_US_19-ALT_27-98_Agricultural_Inspection_Gore_Sign.jpg

And Old Town because of the weigh station and the approaching signs.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NWB_US_19-ALT_27-98_View_of_Dixie_Co_Weigh_Station-01.jpg

Max Rockatansky

Why Gulf Hammock?  It and Otter Creek basically are both near ghost towns nowadays.  But no, I'm not aware of anyone in the road community that lives in Levy County.  Cedar Key looked rough in what videos I've seen thus far from Dock Street.

edwaleni

All I know is that I-10 is closed from US-19 to FL-53.  FDOT says it will reopen at 12PM tonight, but judging by the water coming across east of the Monticello exit I doubt it. Is anyone stuck in the Monticello rest area?

US 89

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 30, 2023, 07:08:28 PM
Does anyone live in Idalia's path? I'd hate for anything bad to happen to my fellow AARoads posters.

We got really lucky in Tallahassee. Although we were in a hurricane warning, the most we really got was 50-60 mph wind gusts. Despite these wind magnitudes being similar to what the city experienced in recent storms Hermine, Irma, and Michael, power outages were much more scattered and there wasn't too much damage beyond that. If the track had been just 30 miles to the west, which was a definite possibility up until late last night, things would have been far, far worse. That Perry gas station is about 40 miles SE of here down US 27.

Hunty2022

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 30, 2023, 07:08:28 PM

I don't live there, but I was in the path last weekend for my GA trip, which had a trip to Ocala. I left the path on Monday, though the reason wasn't because of the hurricane.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 30, 2023, 08:33:13 PM
Why Gulf Hammock?  It and Otter Creek basically are both near ghost towns nowadays.  But no, I'm not aware of anyone in the road community that lives in Levy County.  Cedar Key looked rough in what videos I've seen thus far from Dock Street.
You're right they are. And Lebanon Station doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I doubt there are even too many railfans in Levy County, let alone road enthusiasts such as us. But that old Patterson-McInnis Number 3 logging locomotive is still on display, and I'd hate to think that it could've been damaged by the storm, or worse, floated off the rails it was resting on.

Alex

We didn't have any issues where I live, but Tampa did specifically along Hillsborough and Old Tampa Bays where storm surge rose significantly. Bayshore Boulevard was completely submerged toward the north end, and several stretches of Westshore Boulevard and many side streets along the Interbay Peninsula in South Tampa and Westshore also were. All three bridges were closed yesterday due to inundation of the causeways.

I took some photos in Tampa yesterday showing some of the street flooding and surge at Downtown (made the post public so anyone can view them here).
https://www.facebook.com/roadtofruition/posts/pfbid02GNFrCW8TmfN9jMtznWJxp24hPDFyYdjYWrjKMXYU2ZkcKrhYXwm4oB4dh4bScrV3l

Most people were off from school and work, so traffic was nonexistent. My Dad told me that there was also some street flooding locally along Gandy Boulevard where he is in St. Pete, but that the main roadway was still passable. I also overheard that Clearwater PD was initially not allowing FDOT crews in to survey damage along the coast.

I added some of the solely road based photos to the AARoads FB page as well: https://www.facebook.com/aaroads/posts/pfbid02ReSifFTpmzoahVeLgeGYgPxk7heWsUinuMipqJaU2UYuuYW7yrgFV1YpvJw18TDLl
Tolls were suspended along area roads, and were on Florida's Turnpike from I-4 northward on Tuesday.

SilverMustang2011

Quote from: Alex on August 31, 2023, 08:13:58 AM
We didn't have any issues where I live, but Tampa did specifically along Hillsborough and Old Tampa Bays where storm surge rose significantly. Bayshore Boulevard was completely submerged toward the north end, and several stretches of Westshore Boulevard and many side streets along the Interbay Peninsula in South Tampa and Westshore also were. All three bridges were closed yesterday due to inundation of the causeways.

I took some photos in Tampa yesterday showing some of the street flooding and surge at Downtown (made the post public so anyone can view them here).
https://www.facebook.com/roadtofruition/posts/pfbid02GNFrCW8TmfN9jMtznWJxp24hPDFyYdjYWrjKMXYU2ZkcKrhYXwm4oB4dh4bScrV3l

Most people were off from school and work, so traffic was nonexistent. My Dad told me that there was also some street flooding locally along Gandy Boulevard where he is in St. Pete, but that the main roadway was still passable. I also overheard that Clearwater PD was initially not allowing FDOT crews in to survey damage along the coast.

I added some of the solely road based photos to the AARoads FB page as well: https://www.facebook.com/aaroads/posts/pfbid02ReSifFTpmzoahVeLgeGYgPxk7heWsUinuMipqJaU2UYuuYW7yrgFV1YpvJw18TDLl
Tolls were suspended along area roads, and were on Florida's Turnpike from I-4 northward on Tuesday.

My parents were in Tampa as well but fortunately had little to no damage. They finally bit the bullet on a generator last year as well, so they had power. I just finished driving up from Stuart to Gainesville on Turnpike and I-75 and there was fortunately little to no damage on the roads or in town. In Orlando, Turnpike traffic was what I would guess is about normal for the morning rush hour. I know the big bend wasn't as lucky, unfortunately.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 30, 2023, 11:08:15 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 30, 2023, 08:33:13 PM
You're right they are. And Lebanon Station doesn't even have a Wikipedia article. I doubt there are even too many railfans in Levy County, let alone road enthusiasts such as us. But that old Patterson-McInnis Number 3 logging locomotive is still on display, and I'd hate to think that it could've been damaged by the storm, or worse, floated off the rails it was resting on.

I used to spend a considerable amount of time in Levy County tracking down old sidings and rail grades.  I'm mostly glad that I took plenty of pictures of Otter Creek before all the unique old/overgrown buildings started to be torn down.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2023, 11:46:58 AM
I used to spend a considerable amount of time in Levy County tracking down old sidings and rail grades.  I'm mostly glad that I took plenty of pictures of Otter Creek before all the unique old/overgrown buildings started to be torn down.
Good for you.

Here are some things I do know though;

When you're driving north along US 19-98 between Lebanon Station and just south of Chiefland, you can see the right-of-way for the old ACL line that used to run between Dunnellon and Thomasville, Georgia.

A historic aerials shot of Lebanon Station shows road construction northwest of the termini of FL 121 and what is today Levy CR 336 as far back as the late-1950's. Beyond that. it's a black space, so there's no way of knowing how long it took for the predecessors of the FDOT to finish widening the road, or how long of a segment of it they were working on at the time.

Georgia-Pacific donated the land for the wayside park in 1969. If US 19-98 wasn't finished being widened by then, why did it take so long and did GP do it as part of an attempt to enhance the road? And it if was finished before then, why did GP wait until that time to donate the land?

Both Gulf Hammock and Otter Creek still have post offices, despite being ghost towns. Lebanon Station doesn't, and even Usher doesn't. The only thing Usher has is a Florida State Forest ranger station and tower. 

Quote from: US 89 on August 30, 2023, 10:30:20 PM
That Perry gas station is about 40 miles SE of here down US 27.
It's actually a little further south than that.

The Ghostbuster

A long, mysterious yellow line has appeared on Interstate 95 south in the Jacksonville area: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/watch-mysterious-yellow-line-appears-on-23-miles-of-florida-highway/ar-AA1gC10L?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=0eb7c30da82f48d9b94a0f06b7c63ebd&ei=35#image=1. Maybe whoever put it there had a "yellow streak".

D-Dey65

I've been working on a plan to split the Wikipedia infobox for FL 145, but now I'm starting to doubt that there still two separate 145s. Can anybody prove or disprove that the one in Fort Walton Beach still exists?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 14, 2023, 03:22:32 PM
I've been working on a plan to split the Wikipedia infobox for FL 145, but now I'm starting to doubt that there still two separate 145s. Can anybody prove or disprove that the one in Fort Walton Beach still exists?

Still signed as of April '22.

GIS data (as of 05/27/23) still shows it too.

D-Dey65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 15, 2023, 08:19:37 PM

Ahh, I was starting to think that was part of SR 85. Thanks for the tip,

New question;
Was this the site of the old US 1-23-301 Welcome Center in Boulogne?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 16, 2023, 08:49:49 AM

Nope, two separate routes there.
FL-85 is on Eglin Pkwy.
FL-145 is on Perry Ave/Ferry Rd there.

D-Dey65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 16, 2023, 09:45:11 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 16, 2023, 08:49:49 AM

Nope, two separate routes there.
FL-85 is on Eglin Pkwy.
FL-145 is on Perry Ave/Ferry Rd there.

Yes, I see that. I also see that one leg of the southern terminus of 85 is a truck route, despite being only two lanes wide. My incorrect assumption was that the main route was originally 145, the truck route was the original 85, and FDOT decided to replace 145 with a relocated 85.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.