News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

NE2

I've started compiling links to expressway plans from Florida cities: http://neroute2.blogspot.com/2014/03/historic-expressway-plans.html
If anyone has any others, let me know.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Woohoo. Finally found proof that US 98 was supposed to go via SR 710.
http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/39126913/
QuoteMcKethan said the route numbering committee of the American Association of State Highway officials has agreed to the extension of Highway 98 from its present western terminus at Apalachicola to West Palm Beach by way of Newport, Perry, Cross City, Brooksville, Lakeland, Frostproof, Okeechobee and Canal Point. Approval was voted at the recent AASHO meeting in Omaha, where McKethan appeared in behalf of the project. The new route will be designated on the 1952 State Highway maps which will be released for publication next month. For the present the through highway will be routed through Tallahassee and down the peninsular because the Newport-Perry cut-off is still under construction. The Okeechobee-West Palm Beach leg of the route will also be designated as temporary on the 1952 maps because the relocation of the road there, via Indiantown in Martin county, is projected.

NE2

Holy crap, it's signed.

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on March 18, 2014, 06:41:45 AM
Holy crap, it's signed.

Its been signed there since at least 2007 and still is as of Saturday. That's the only place though off-hand.

NE2

Ah. I guess I never went that way on SR 585.

NE2

Turns out every independent section of SR 700 was originally planned as something else (unless you count the short connection between SR 60 and SR 555 in Bartow).
*SR 55 to SR 50A: SR 485 (defined 1945)
*SR 50 to SR 35: SR 39
*Lake Parker Avenue: SR 471
*SR 35 to SR 25: SR 630 (defined 1947)
*SR 25 to SR 70: SR 66 (defined 1945)
*SR 15 to SR 80: SR 716 (defined 1945)

NE2

Looks like Florida's first Maryland-style three-way CFI is planned at SR 9B and CR 2209: http://northfloridaroads.com/upload/documents/SR9BAerial-9-13.pdf
The Race Track Road Connector dead end would probably link to Nocatee Parkway in the future.

clef

I-595 Express Lanes are open as of 2 PM today, westbound, switching to eastbound at 4 AM. No tolls yet.

Here is the entrance from SB FL Tpk around 2:04 ;-)
No tolls yet

Flyover to WB 595

Two-way sign assembly

Pretty empty 10 minutes after opening. (Also a jetliner picking up the glideslope to FLL runway 10L at NOVAE)

End of lanes at westbound, toward I-75 NB & the EB express lane entrance. There is no access to the Weston Rd exit from the express lanes unless you take the other exit, back on the mainline toward FL 869.

xcellntbuy

Very nice pics. :clap:

Glad to see you have those super sized sign gantries on film.  It should be interesting to see how these HOT lanes begin to work on a completely normal workweek (schools are closed, less traffic this week.)

NE2

New X exit, for a different reason than the old ones.

And is this the first yellow toll 869 shield?

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on March 26, 2014, 07:16:10 PM

There's a few on the Turnpike, but the first ones I've spotted were on SR 7, about a year ago.

clef

Quote from: NE2 on March 26, 2014, 07:16:10 PM

Nah, they have been popping up all over lately on the new signs. Lots of new signs are going up since toll-by-plate starts next month on the Sawgrass.

Also, in preparation for toll-by-plate there is a new BGS on SB Tpk before 869 which has the shield greened out, and one of two exit lane arrows covered (because there is only one lane on the ramp, oops).

NE2

So that's yellow toll shields on all the South Florida toll roads. Anyone seen any for 23, 281, 568, 570, 589, or 618?

clef

More yellow Sawgrass & a new NB control city also (was W Palm Beach)

xcellntbuy

Quote from: clef on March 27, 2014, 02:36:33 PM

Photo looks like the end of Sunrise Blvd, yes?

clef

Quote from: xcellntbuy on March 27, 2014, 03:48:16 PM
Photo looks like then end of Sunrise Blvd, yes?

Yes it is, here is GSV of W Palm Beach control city

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on March 26, 2014, 08:04:50 PM
So that's yellow toll shields on all the South Florida toll roads. Anyone seen any for 23, 281, 568, 570, 589, or 618?

SR 50 east in Hernando:

Quote from: clef on March 26, 2014, 05:49:54 PM
I-595 Express Lanes are open as of 2 PM today, westbound, switching to eastbound at 4 AM. No tolls yet.

Awesome, I was wondering because their web sites did not indicate an opening date when I looked two days ago. Will be checking it out next week when Carter and I head to South Florida to go roadding.

emory

NE/NW 1st Street in Miami has now been inventoried by the state. http://www2.dot.state.fl.us/straight-linesonlinegis/blank.aspx?docId=104636

formulanone

Quote from: clef on March 27, 2014, 02:36:33 PM

Seriously, they chose Orlando, which is 200 miles away? Coral Springs and Deerfield/Pompano Beach don't cut it? West Palm makes much more sense.

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on March 30, 2014, 09:11:47 PM

Seriously, they chose Orlando, which is 200 miles away? Coral Springs and Deerfield/Pompano Beach don't cut it? West Palm makes much more sense.

So did the signs on I-75 south for SR 869 [Cpral Springs/West Palm Bch] get replaced/adjusted to reflect Orlando too?

brickbuilder711

Saw the new approaches when heading to ORL for a convention last weekend, felt like I was in Tampa lol with those B&B ARMR gates in sight. The asymmetry between the ends of the highway sign poles kinda irks me, though.
I also noticed, while on the subject of SR 91 the construction of the ramp from NB 91 to NB 417, NB 91 to SB 417, and SB 417 to SB 91. Had no idea the project already started.

Equally irksome is finding out about the ORT conversion on the 869... They JUST built those new plazas! What a waste!

emory

Quote from: formulanone on March 30, 2014, 09:11:47 PM

In Atlanta, an I-75 southbound overhead near I-285 has Tampa as a control city. Over 450 miles away!

formulanone

I-295 North around Orange Park has Savannah as a control city. Not 400 miles, but not exactly the next county over, either.

It's just that 869 doesn't directly serve Orlando, but I sometimes forget control cities are to direct tourists rather than local traffic. But if you're going to make a 24-mile toll road seem useful, showing its terminus and/or major cities would seem to make more sense. It was essentially built to serve Coral Springs, anyhow.

Quote from: emory on March 29, 2014, 02:47:58 AM
NE/NW 1st Street in Miami has now been inventoried by the state. http://www2.dot.state.fl.us/straight-linesonlinegis/blank.aspx?docId=104636

Just noticing the Straight Line Diagrams have the word "CALTRAN" underneath the date...something to do with the method in which the SLDs are created?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.