News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElishaGOtis

It's been a while since someone posted here, but I saw something unusual within the SR-417 widening project.

I don't have any pictures, but you can sort-off tell when portions of the project's bridges were completed based on the shape of the concrete barrier. On some bridges, there is an F-shape barrier on one side, and a Constant-slope barrier on the other. It doesn't ruin the aesthetic (at least for me :pan:), but I do find it interesting. Does anyone have any info about when FDOT and CFX formally switched from F-shaped barriers to Constant-slope barriers for bridges? I'm assuming after the federal standards changed, but I'm not entirely sure. :hmmm:

Also, the active traffic management projects on 417 and 429 seem to be moving right along, with many signals in position. I'll be curious to see how it'll work once it's operational. :popcorn:
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

pianocello

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on November 04, 2023, 04:55:02 PM
I don't have any pictures, but you can sort-off tell when portions of the project's bridges were completed based on the shape of the concrete barrier. On some bridges, there is an F-shape barrier on one side, and a Constant-slope barrier on the other. It doesn't ruin the aesthetic (at least for me :pan:), but I do find it interesting. Does anyone have any info about when FDOT and CFX formally switched from F-shaped barriers to Constant-slope barriers for bridges? I'm assuming after the federal standards changed, but I'm not entirely sure. :hmmm:

I'm assuming this is what you mean by F-shape barrier, though it's not unique to bridges: https://maps.app.goo.gl/AWRqzkZo1Ejxv9Zy6

If I'm right, then I think it was somewhere around 2018. I started my career in early 2019 and they were talking about the constant slope barrier being new around that time. And the I-4 Ultimate project is lined with the "old" style (after all, that's where my image came from), which indicates that the standards of the time of its design included that barrier type.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: pianocello on November 05, 2023, 02:30:40 PM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on November 04, 2023, 04:55:02 PM

I'm assuming this is what you mean by F-shape barrier, though it's not unique to bridges: https://maps.app.goo.gl/AWRqzkZo1Ejxv9Zy6

If I'm right, then I think it was somewhere around 2018. I started my career in early 2019 and they were talking about the constant slope barrier being new around that time. And the I-4 Ultimate project is lined with the "old" style (after all, that's where my image came from), which indicates that the standards of the time of its design included that barrier type.

Yes, exactly that. Thank you! :cool:

roadman65

If anyone is visiting Sea World in Orlando, the I-4 Central Florida Parkway interchange is a mess. Ramp closures and detours are present including the flyover from WB Central Florida Parkway to I-4 WB is closed.  Traffic on both directions of Central Florida are using the EB ramp to I-4 west with a temporary road as the Daryl Carter DDI appears to be realigning the Central Florida ramp to avoid future weaving between the two interchanges.

I have no clue why the I-4 ramp to EB Central Florida is closed. Traffic is detoured to Sea World via FL 528 and I Drive.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on November 15, 2023, 10:11:31 AM
I have no clue why the I-4 ramp to EB Central Florida is closed. Traffic is detoured to Sea World via FL 528 and I Drive.
They're building a larger drainage culvert under I-4, and the hole on the east side is right next to the offramp. So they need to close the offramp to put equipment on it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

If anyone is visiting Sea World in Orlando, the I-4 Central Florida Parkway interchange is a mess. Ramp closures and detours are present including the flyover from WB Central Florida Parkway to I-4 WB is closed.
The flyover ramp will be closed until sometime in early 2024.

QuoteI have no clue why the I-4 ramp to EB Central Florida is closed. Traffic is detoured to Sea World via FL 528 and I Drive.
It's not the entire offramp that's closed from I-4 east to Central Florida Pkwy, just the movement to CFP east toward I-Drive. You can still turn west to Turkey Lake Road, or as I've seen many do, just turn east onto CFP at the end of the ramp anyway, even though signs are posted no right turn.

roadman65

Quote from: FLRoads on November 15, 2023, 07:43:41 PM
If anyone is visiting Sea World in Orlando, the I-4 Central Florida Parkway interchange is a mess. Ramp closures and detours are present including the flyover from WB Central Florida Parkway to I-4 WB is closed.
The flyover ramp will be closed until sometime in early 2024.

QuoteI have no clue why the I-4 ramp to EB Central Florida is closed. Traffic is detoured to Sea World via FL 528 and I Drive.
It's not the entire offramp that's closed from I-4 east to Central Florida Pkwy, just the movement to CFP east toward I-Drive. You can still turn west to Turkey Lake Road, or as I've seen many do, just turn east onto CFP at the end of the ramp anyway, even though signs are posted no right turn.

They need to cover the guide sign for Exit 71 as its control city is Sea World. That right turn ramp to be closed makes no sense unless they're adding a second lane to it, but with the Westwood Blvd intersection nearby they're going ( if that's what they're doing) would have to have an added phase and be turned into the John Young Parkway/ Greenwold Way intersection in Kissimmee with the ramp from Osceola Parkway.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://www.swflroads.com/project/444429-1
State website shows this project in design phase completed. Yet if you drive out to the intersection in person you will see that it's gone a lot further.

The new alignment proposed is been built just waiting to be opened. I drove by it today and saw the unopened completed road with the new stoplight in flash mode waiting to be activated.

Yet FDOT hasn't updated this page to show it progressed from design study to actual construction.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on November 24, 2023, 01:11:26 AM
https://www.swflroads.com/project/444429-1
State website shows this project in design phase completed. Yet if you drive out to the intersection in person you will see that it's gone a lot further.

The new alignment proposed is been built just waiting to be opened. I drove by it today and saw the unopened completed road with the new stoplight in flash mode waiting to be activated.

Yet FDOT hasn't updated this page to show it progressed from design study to actual construction.

QuoteThis project has been completed and is only available for historical reference.

As for why only the study is on the site...maybe the county was in charge of construction?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ElishaGOtis

I found this set of PD&E studies for widening US-98 to 6 lanes in the Panhandle. It will convert many conventional signals into RCUT-based signals with double U-turn lanes  :-/, add some kind of interchange at US-331, and install a multi-use path along the whole corridor. There appear to be more RCUTs in Walton County than Bay County under the current proposals. "Superstreet" conversion seems like the gist of Walton county's section, especially given the Z-shaped crosswalks traversing each signal.

Walton County PD&E: https://nwflroads.com/projects/437179-1

Bay County West PD&E: https://nwflroads.com/projects/437179-2

Section currently under construction: https://nwflroads.com/projects/217838-3

I'm concerned about the future use of the corridor as an inter-city route and the cost of upgrades to others. In my opinion, despite the safety benefits, all these signals and crossovers could risk diverting even more traffic up to SR-20, which is already being studied for 4-lane widening in some parts.

What do y'all think of these projects?

Jaxrunner

There is so much growth happening in Bay, Walton, Okaloosa and Santa Rosa countries along the US 98 corridor. Panama City Beach started the 6 laning project this fall. It's desperately needed, although it's going to take awhile to get built. I think flyover would be good for busy intersections. I heard the FL DOT has considering one at Nautilus and Clara Avenue on PCB. US 331 and 98 makes sense. I would like one at the Destin outlets at SR 293. I'm happy to see the Panhandle getting some money for their roads.

D-Dey65

Can anybody tell me anything about this series of faux Greek columns on the southwest corner of US 1 and FL 421 in Port Orange? It looks like some kind of memorial. 

Alex

Construction is well underway for the SR 570B toll road in Polk. Imagery from 11-29-23:

Corrected 570A to 570B

74/171FAN

Alex, I did not realize they FL 570A was already on track to be built when I was at your place in March.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

The Ghostbuster

I had thought the now-under-construction Central Polk Parkway was going to be numbered FL 570B. Also, which map site did you use in that picture, Alex? Google Maps does not show any construction off the end of Exit 14.

roadman65

Quote from: Alex on December 05, 2023, 02:34:33 PM
Construction is well underway for the SR 570A toll road in Polk. Imagery from 11-29-23:

I believe this will only build it to US 17 as from US 17 to SR 60 will get done later.

Then who knows when it will connect to I-4. US 27 through Davenport is a traffic nightmare from US 17-92 to I-4. Thst needs a bypass five years ago.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2023, 05:40:16 PM
Then who knows when it will connect to I-4. US 27 through Davenport is a traffic nightmare from US 17-92 to I-4. Thst needs a bypass five years ago.
Would FL-570 not provide a freeway link to I-4 already?

D-Dey65

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 06, 2023, 08:37:43 PM
For Lakeland and Auburndale, sure. But it's the Davenport-Celebration-Kissimmee area that's getting the current traffic woes that Roadman is talking about. From this thread, I keep getting this nagging idea of a northern extension of FL-570 from the east end of I-4 to the western terminus of US 192 at US 27, and I'm not so sure how I feel about that.

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 07, 2023, 12:07:27 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 06, 2023, 08:37:43 PM
For Lakeland and Auburndale, sure. But it's the Davenport-Celebration-Kissimmee area that's getting the current traffic woes that Roadman is talking about. From this thread, I keep getting this nagging idea of a northern extension of FL-570 from the east end of I-4 to the western terminus of US 192 at US 27, and I'm not so sure how I feel about that.

It was an idea floated around. The former Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority put together the demands of Central Florida residents and proposed the east end of SR 570 to connect with the west end of SR 408 near Oakland, FL.

How they were going to get that being the Green Swamp is in between? Don't ask me how, as the Green Swamp is the only thing saving I-4 between Lakeland and Davenport from being overdeveloped with homes and more bedroom communities along the many already along all of I-4.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The lack of an option of a north-south road connection between Poinciana Blvd. and US-27 seems to cause traffic woes in the Davenport/Loughman area. You have one choice that isn't I-4 hell.....Lake Wilson Rd. That and somehow US-17-92 is the only crossing of Reedy Creek between I-4 and Pleasant Hill Rd. in Poinciana.

D-Dey65

Speaking of US 17-92, I have a feeling that if FDOT were to decide to widen the rest of the road, they'd add a bypass around historic Davenport, or at least they'd try to. NYSDOT sought to do the same thing north of Smithtown and south of Setauket and Port Jefferson decades ago. Unfortunately, too much anti-highway zealotry lead to more traffic on what could've been "Old Route 25A."

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on June 10, 2023, 04:57:00 PM
Florida just enacted a number of laws involving roadway safety this legislative session. Some of these include
- HB 657 - Allows municipalities to install speed cameras within school zones ($100 fine, no points nor insurance increase, 10 MPH threshold)
- SB 766 - Allows school districts to make school bus stop signs photo enforced ($200 fine, no points nor insurance increase)
- HB 425 - Transportation package, including autonomous vehicles, corridor funding, and expanding the Move Over law to include all vehicles on shoulder

I wonder how these will be indicated on signage, especially the large number of signs currently stating "Move over for stopped emergency vehicles." I believe TN passed a similar law this year. :hmmm:

(still hoping for 75 MPH here... :crazy:)

To answer my own question, it seems that FLHSMV has proposed some new signs for the move over law

"FLORIDA LAW: MOVE OVER for Stopped Disabled and Emergency Vehicles"

Not sure if this is the final text, but I'll be curious to see if any signs pop up given the law changed just today. For comparison, I was betting on one of these four variants:

"MOVE OVER [or Slow Down] for"
- "All Stopped Vehicles" (TN wording)
- "Stopped Vehicles with Flashing Lights" (AZ, MD, and OH wording, among other states)
- "Vehicles Stopped on Shoulder" (11th MUTCD wording)
- "Stopped Vehicles on Shoulder" (Word-of-mouth from FDOT employee)

PColumbus73

Just saw part of this video about the University Parkway interchange in Sarasota, FL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYt3h36Llo&t=301s

The video shows the DDI that was installed at University Pkwy and I-75 and thru traffic backing up through the interchange.

To me it looks like the DDI was a miscalculation since the thru traffic is gridlocking the interchange. Either the DOT used the wrong interchange for the situation, or they didn't factor in the next intersection that leads to the mall.

Judging by the triple-left turn headed to the mall, they probably ought to have mixed some type of continuous flow design with the DDI (which I can imagine being an engineering nightmare). Another option could have been a new nearby overpass south of the current interchange connecting University Pkwy to the mall.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uosfMVpAa2VrvqKD7
This stub that the contractor who installed the cul de sac left behind here might finally be removed.

https://www.lakelandgov.net/news/posts/2023/october/public-notice-five-points-roundabout-construction-will-soon-start/

Right now the intersection that once was an alignment change for US 92 Business, is now being converted to a roundabout with the intersection currently closed to allow its construction. 

So the careless stub, will no doubt go, as drawing in article shows cul de sac will remain.

Sheryl Crowe

doorknob60

If anyone is visiting Sea World in Orlando, the I-4 Central Florida Parkway interchange is a mess. Ramp closures and detours are present including the flyover from WB Central Florida Parkway to I-4 WB is closed.  Traffic on both directions of Central Florida are using the EB ramp to I-4 west with a temporary road as the Daryl Carter DDI appears to be realigning the Central Florida ramp to avoid future weaving between the two interchanges.

Oh that's annoying, I'm staying at a hotel right next to that interchange tomorrow. Didn't realize the closures until just now. I've stayed there a couple times before and the ramp there was super convenient. I'll probably just take the illegal right turn (unless the ramp/stop sign is backed up), going the long way around would probably add close to 5 minutes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.