News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Forget the 3di pipe dreams. Hardly any of the toll roads in Florida are a part of the Interstate System. I don't expect any new toll roads to become Interstates in the future.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SilverMustang2011

:cool: :confused:
Quote from: roadman65 on February 10, 2024, 07:24:23 AM
https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/florida-lawmakers-hit-brakes-on-left-lane-drivers/

New law targeting left lane campers.

A much-needed law in Florida, IMO. Whenever I drive on I-75, I-95, I-4, or The Turnpike, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be moving all around the interstate to pass people who don't realize you're supposed to be passing in the left lane and keeping up with the pace of traffic in it. I do wonder how this law could be effectively enforced though. It's hard to catch someone hogging the left lane if you're a cop since everyone slows down when they see one on the highway.

Alex

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on January 29, 2024, 11:34:16 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 29, 2024, 02:43:04 AM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on January 28, 2024, 10:51:56 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 27, 2024, 06:28:23 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 27, 2024, 12:03:47 AM
Speaking of which... the final segment of Wekiva Parkway (SR 429) opens to traffic tonight into Saturday morning!

Hope somebody can double check the new exit numbers on the final section.  They seem to keep changing for some odd reason.

The new numbers are much better than the original proposal imho.

• Exit 54 - Rinehart Rd
  • Exit 55A - I-4 both directions
  • Exit 55B - Int'l Pkwy / Heathrow

Exit numbers on I-4, however, need a second look... many are downright contradictory :wow:

Rest of the interchange is quite nice completed.

So, this signage has been 'fixed'?

I'm just super confused when it comes to the numbering scheme there so I can fix up both FL-429 & FL-417 over @ TM.

Pictures would also be really welcomed to lay any confusion to rest too! :)

Apparently they were just changed again from both my travels and that GSV image. Still in transition though, I'd give it some time.

I made a huge mistake with regards to this interchange on Waze... :-(

Just finished posting updates for SR 429 north from SR 453 to I-4, I-4 east from Lake Mary Boulevard to Dirksen Drive, and I-4 west from Dirksen Drive to Lake Mary Boulevard with photos I took while roadding with roadman65 yesterday. Lots of sign changes on I-4, and the exit renumbering on SR 429 reflecting SR 417's system instead of SR 429 at I-4/International Parkway.
https://www.aaroads.com/updates/

Addressing the finalized exit numbers. SR 429 north a International Parkway is Exit 55 B, and the ramps to I-4 are collectively Exit 55 A:

I-4 east to SR 417 south is Exit 101 B, SR 429 south is Exit 101 C and SR 46 is Exit 101 D. The exit numbers are posted on the I-4 eastbound mainline, but not on overheads for SR 417/46 beyond the gore point:

The exit tabs on I-4 westbound have not been updated to reflect the renumber of Exit 101 C for SR 46 as Exit 101 D. So once on the c/d roadway for SR 429, SR 417 and CR 46A, tarps cover the tab for Exit 101 C to SR 429 south, since prior guide signs still show SR 46 as Exit 101 C.

1995hoo

This sign seen in one of the photos on the updates page seems quite unnecessarily wide:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on February 13, 2024, 10:13:03 AM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on January 29, 2024, 11:34:16 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 29, 2024, 02:43:04 AM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on January 28, 2024, 10:51:56 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 27, 2024, 06:28:23 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 27, 2024, 12:03:47 AM
Speaking of which... the final segment of Wekiva Parkway (SR 429) opens to traffic tonight into Saturday morning!

Hope somebody can double check the new exit numbers on the final section.  They seem to keep changing for some odd reason.

The new numbers are much better than the original proposal imho.

• Exit 54 - Rinehart Rd
  • Exit 55A - I-4 both directions
  • Exit 55B - Int'l Pkwy / Heathrow

Exit numbers on I-4, however, need a second look... many are downright contradictory :wow:

Rest of the interchange is quite nice completed.

So, this signage has been 'fixed'?

I'm just super confused when it comes to the numbering scheme there so I can fix up both FL-429 & FL-417 over @ TM.

Pictures would also be really welcomed to lay any confusion to rest too! :)

Apparently they were just changed again from both my travels and that GSV image. Still in transition though, I'd give it some time.

I made a huge mistake with regards to this interchange on Waze... :-(

Just finished posting updates for SR 429 north from SR 453 to I-4, I-4 east from Lake Mary Boulevard to Dirksen Drive, and I-4 west from Dirksen Drive to Lake Mary Boulevard with photos I took while roadding with roadman65 yesterday. Lots of sign changes on I-4, and the exit renumbering on SR 429 reflecting SR 417's system instead of SR 429 at I-4/International Parkway.
https://www.aaroads.com/updates/

Addressing the finalized exit numbers. SR 429 north a International Parkway is Exit 55 B, and the ramps to I-4 are collectively Exit 55 A:

I-4 east to SR 417 south is Exit 101 B, SR 429 south is Exit 101 C and SR 46 is Exit 101 D. The exit numbers are posted on the I-4 eastbound mainline, but not on overheads for SR 417/46 beyond the gore point:

The exit tabs on I-4 westbound have not been updated to reflect the renumber of Exit 101 C for SR 46 as Exit 101 D. So once on the c/d roadway for SR 429, SR 417 and CR 46A, tarps cover the tab for Exit 101 C to SR 429 south, since prior guide signs still show SR 46 as Exit 101 C.

Thanks for those Alex.  Will fix up the numbering on FL-429 tonight for TM.

So, on FL-417, Rinhard Road stayed as 54, and I-4 is now 55A, correct?  I'm gonna assume the I-4 number change is the only changes for that route I have to make to have it up-to-date as well.

Henry

I see Orlando has pulled a Jacksonville with its "East Beltway"/"West Beltway" labels. Great pics!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

That SR 46 guide is odd. The long rectangle instead of a small square to feature a lone shield with no control city is which I'm referring to.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Too bad I didn't know about this. I'm actually in the neighborhood (stuck in traffic somewhere in "Davenport").

formulanone

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 14, 2024, 11:41:51 AM
Too bad I didn't know about this. I'm actually in the neighborhood (stuck in traffic somewhere in "Davenport").

Davenport has one of the last bunch of Kodachrome shields, if you have the chance.

D-Dey65

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 16, 2024, 06:52:59 PM
Will someone tell this woman that I-175 in St. Petersburg was NOT built to perpetuate racism?
https://baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2024/02/15/hidden-historic-campbell-park--a-revealing-walking-tour-offers-a-look-at-african-american-history-in-st--pete

People are always stubborn. Right now you ain't going to change minds and with the freeway revolution on some cities, it's a good bandwagon to ensure unity once again.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Urban freeways are just the villain of the day. 

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on February 16, 2024, 11:28:47 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 16, 2024, 06:52:59 PM
Will someone tell this woman that I-175 in St. Petersburg was NOT built to perpetuate racism?
https://baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2024/02/15/hidden-historic-campbell-park--a-revealing-walking-tour-offers-a-look-at-african-american-history-in-st--pete

People are always stubborn. Right now you ain't going to change minds and with the freeway revolution on some cities, it's a good bandwagon to ensure unity once again.
What they're creating is the delusion of unity. They're thinking "Oh, now I can cross the street and meet my neighbors because the big, bad highway isn't blocking my view." But it's not true, because all they're creating is a surface road that has endless stop and go traffic, and thus more traffic jams, more air pollution, and more of a risk of accidents from people being hit by cars that would otherwise avoid contact with them.

vdeane

^ Largely agreed.  It's more a perception because it's objectively more safe and easier to walk over or under a freeway than it is to cross the same number of lanes at-grade, but people don't feel that way because the freeway makes them feel "uncomfortable" (and also because they're not waiting as long to cross the boulevard as they would be if they weren't jaywalking).  That said, I-175 and I-375 are both short spurs that don't really go anywhere, so they probably wouldn't be missed much if they were to go away.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ElishaGOtis

In my opinion, I-175 is a great candidate for a cap between MLKJ St & 8th Street. While only one block, the segment definitely has potential as a "proof of concept." It's probably one of the only examples that exist in Florida due to the high water table.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/aojFDU4zHfwfvR3c9

EDIT: Found another possible location in Lakeland for such, but this one is not on a Freeway. https://maps.app.goo.gl/7zbmjvRw6hv2u8bB6
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

The Ghostbuster

While Interstate 175 never had exit numbers, I believe Interstate 375's exits were once numbered 1 and 2. While I believe Interstates 175 and 375 were to have gotten exit numbers during the preliminary planning of converting Florida's Interstate exit to mileage-based, they obviously decided to leave the freeways with unnumbered exits. They also didn't renumber Interstate 110's exit numbers either.

D-Dey65

Well, I know both were planned for extensions west and north of I-275.

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on February 17, 2024, 07:34:15 PM
Found another possible location in Lakeland for such, but this one is not on a Freeway. https://maps.app.goo.gl/7zbmjvRw6hv2u8bB6
I keep thinking that this had a proposed extension that was never built as well. I saw the historic aerials of this road and the changes through the times. But I also know that south of the Polk Parkway, there's a right-of-way along unmarked Harden Boulevard for potential new lanes. I also know that southwest of the abrupt terminus at West Pipkin Road, there's a street named "Old Route 37. That makes me think SR 563 was originally supposed to end at SR 37 south of Lakeland.

SilverMustang2011

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 18, 2024, 04:36:39 PM

I-275's interchange with 31st Street South was also part of that planned freeway system that never came to be: https://maps.app.goo.gl/rrsrhvL7AvMT2W579. Given that it's 1-2 miles west of the I-175 junction, I wonder if this freeway was supposed to connect with the I-175 extension, where SB 275 would have gotten access to it from the 175 interchange, which also would have had access to NB 275.

Alex

Quote from: SilverMustang2011 on February 19, 2024, 11:42:16 AM

I-275's interchange with 31st Street South was also part of that planned freeway system that never came to be: https://maps.app.goo.gl/rrsrhvL7AvMT2W579. Given that it's 1-2 miles west of the I-175 junction, I wonder if this freeway was supposed to connect with the I-175 extension, where SB 275 would have gotten access to it from the 175 interchange, which also would have had access to NB 275.

See this post from 2013 and the corresponding 1970s map I scanned.
There was not a planned extension of I-175, but I-375 had one on the 1985 Recommended Principal Street and Highway Plan that Dan linked to at http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00017174/00001/2x?vo=32&vp=0,3777

SilverMustang2011

There was not a planned extension of I-175, but I-375 had one on the 1985 Recommended Principal Street and Highway Plan that Dan linked to at http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00017174/00001/2x?vo=32&vp=0,3777

Thank you for clearing that up. I've read about the scrapped freeways in Pinellas County before but that's the first time I've seen their intended routes. Having all of the freeways they intended to put in would be overkill, but it's been interesting growing up in the area and seeing all and the projects and headaches Pinellas County has had trying to fix traffic from building nothing except 275 (Making parts of US-19 and Gandy Blvd fully limited-access, Gateway Express, and 6-laning almost all arterial roads come to mind)

D-Dey65

Quote from: SilverMustang2011 on February 20, 2024, 02:25:35 PM

Thank you for clearing that up. I've read about the scrapped freeways in Pinellas County before but that's the first time I've seen their intended routes. Having all of the freeways they intended to put in would be overkill, but it's been interesting growing up in the area and seeing all and the projects and headaches Pinellas County has had trying to fix traffic from building nothing except 275 (Making parts of US-19 and Gandy Blvd fully limited-access, Gateway Express, and 6-laning almost all arterial roads come to mind)
It was actually Alex who wrote that message, but yeah.

Whenever I drive on any of the roads of Pinellas County, I tend to compare it to driving in the Bronx... except when I'm on I-275, I-375, and I-175. The point of building all those roads as well as some of the other scrapped freeways shown was simply to get drivers from point-a to point-b more easily. Not just white drivers, but all drivers. It was never about keeping the black man or the brown man down, even in the south which has been so infamous for its ridiculous Jim Crow laws, and sundown towns. 

D-Dey65

Okay, onto another topic;

I've been working on an attempt to expand the Wikipedia article on hidden Florida State Road 500. That has lead me to work on other roads that overlap SR 500, including many that I've worked on in the past which have been given citation tags. This require snagging archived pages of Robert V. Droz's old US Highways website, but it has also lead me to Historic Aerials.

And Historic Aerials has confirmed that Magnolia Avenue and Old Gainesville Highway in northern Ocala are historically connected, and thus were both "Old 441." And one map on that site confirms the existence of an Alternate US 441 there.

Now, I have work on finding the evidence regarding US Business 441 in the Mount Dora area.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 20, 2024, 03:43:09 PM
I've been working on an attempt to expand the Wikipedia article on hidden Florida State Road 500.
Don't even bother doing so. No matter what sources you'll provide, they'll find an excuse to consider it not good enough.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.