News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 14, 2009, 11:10:04 PM
Can somebody point out what's wrong in these pictures? ;)

Presence of SUVs.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

Is that SERIOUSLY DUCT TAPE over those signs?  :-D
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

The 45 MPH speed limit

simguy228

Oh yeah. I remember driving by those signs when driving up to TN :-D
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

FLRoads

The fact that you are already on U.S. 17 and Florida 228, since they were siphoned onto Interstate 10 at Exit 361 a few years back? If I remember correctly, U.S. 17 got realigned onto Interstate 10 at Exit 361, multiplexes with it until Interstate 10's end where it travels along Interstate 95 north to Exit 353B.

florida

For what's wrong: In the second picture, isn't that the exit for Forest Street (352A)? Aren't US 17/SR 228 supposed to be routed onto that when all the construction is done? If so, it shouldn't be TO, but NORTH?

------

Side note:

There is a new interchange being built on US 301 in Orange Springs for SR 26. SR 26 will bypass Orange Springs to the south, and the ROW looked big enough for a four-lane roadway; the bypass will be basically between the section of SR 26 that "curves" north into Orange Springs, so that curve will be cut out.

Plus, a lot of C- shields in Union and Bradford Counties have bit the dust. Everything from Brooker east to the CR 227/CR 18 split is gone (except one on a side road). A good five shields in Union County (that are visible on GSV) are gone. What a shame.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

Quote from: florida on November 15, 2009, 12:58:50 PM

Side note:

Plus, a lot of C- shields in Union and Bradford Counties have bit the dust. Everything from Brooker east to the CR 227/CR 18 split is gone (except one on a side road). A good five shields in Union County (that are visible on GSV) are gone. What a shame.

Does that include Keys shields and Coloured U.S. shields? Brent and I did some extensive research on GSV and jotted down the locations of over 20 sign finds. We've not yet gone into the field to document them however...

florida

The colored U.S. shields are still there.

Locations without signs (but GSV still shows them):
Union County:
-CR 238A west at CR 239 (southwesterly of Lake Butler).
-CR 241 north at CR 241A
-CR 239 spur into Oak Grove Cemetary (both have been re-signed as CR 239B with pentagons)
-CR 239A at CR 239 (south of the CR 238A intersection listed above)

Bradford County:
-CR 235 north at CR 229
-CR 18 & CR 225 intersection in Graham.
-CR 18 & CR 231 (east-west section) east of Brooker.

Everything else is there, and a few surprises too....if you pick the correct road, you will find a dead bull on the shoulder!  :wow:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: flaroadgeek on November 15, 2009, 12:14:09 PM
The fact that you are already on U.S. 17 and Florida 228, since they were siphoned onto Interstate 10 at Exit 361 a few years back? If I remember correctly, U.S. 17 got realigned onto Interstate 10 at Exit 361, multiplexes with it until Interstate 10's end where it travels along Interstate 95 north to Exit 353B.

Quote from: florida on November 15, 2009, 12:58:50 PM
For what's wrong: In the second picture, isn't that the exit for Forest Street (352A)? Aren't US 17/SR 228 supposed to be routed onto that when all the construction is done? If so, it shouldn't be TO, but NORTH?

Yep guys.  Those signs shouldn't be saying "TO" for US-17 and FL-228, but should be saying "North US-17, East FL-228".  However, florida, those routes aren't suppose to be routed onto Forest.  They are going to be staying with US-23 once they leave I-95 as far as I know.

simguy228

And I thought PA was the worse state when it comes to guide signs :-D :sombrero:
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

rickmastfan67

I'm curious, has anybody been in Fort Myers lately?  The reason I'm asking is because of the US-41 Business route there.  From what I can piece together, it's Southern end is now @ it's intersection with FL-80 via StreetView (if you look @ Park Ave and even on FL-82, there are "TO BUSINESS US-41" shields; and from the looks of it the "TO" banners are very recent because they are brighter then the rest of the sign).  Yet, the FDOT GIS still shows it going down to FL-82 and back to US-41.  Yahoo maps agree with what is in the field, Google agrees (somewhat) with the GIS files.  So, you can see why I'm a tad confused here.  I'm more inclined to go with what's posted in the field, but I've always liked to be "by the book" and have the correct route for stuff like this.  So, any help in this would be appreciated. :)

florida

There should still be an END BUS US 41 shield at US 41(?)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: florida on November 17, 2009, 10:54:06 AM
There should still be an END BUS US 41 shield at US 41(?)

I'm talking about the Southern end, not the Northern end.  I couldn't find any End shields for that end.

FLRoads

There is an END Business U.S. 41 shield at the southern end on Main Street just east of the U.S. 41 overpass at the foot of the Caloosahatchee Bridge. I saw it back in June when I was down last to visit my parents.

The signage you are speaking of is from when Business U.S. 41 use to follow Second Street with Florida 80. Business U.S. 41 then turned north onto Park Street where it heads to the northbound span of the Edison Bridge. It was moved further south to Florida 82 (MLK Jr. Blvd) some years ago. FDOT never took the signage down, or rather, they never removed the TO banner, as they should have.

Next time I go home to visit my parents I will try to take a tour of downtown to see EXACTLY how it is all signed now. It seems that every so many years the FDOT likes to reroute the downtown routes of Business U.S. 41 and Florida 80.

Hope this helps!

rickmastfan67

Yes, it did help! :)  I was able to find the End Bus US-41 shield along Main St via StreetView, even though it was badly blurred.  So, I'll now modify the route to match what the GIS shows because I still had it along the old route of FL-80 in Downtown. :)

FLRoads

Yeah, it can get confusing trying to figure out where the routes are in downtown. I'm not even sure if FDOT has it right, because I swear that the City of Fort Myers does its own thing when it comes to their downtown routes...

rickmastfan67

Quote from: flaroadgeek on November 18, 2009, 07:14:42 PM
Yeah, it can get confusing trying to figure out where the routes are in downtown. I'm not even sure if FDOT has it right, because I swear that the City of Fort Myers does its own thing when it comes to their downtown routes...

Well, the GIS shows a gap for FL-80 intown.

FLRoads

Yes, from what I understand there is now a gap with Florida 80 in downtown. Google Map shows Florida 80 going down Main and First Streets while Bing Maps still show Florida 80 going down Second Street to Seaboard. I wish I could get down there soon to see exactly what Florida 80 and Business U.S. 41 does downtown now...

florida

Re: Fort Myers... SR 80 is split, and technically has two segments. It has a short routing from US 41 to the SR 82 Spur and ends, then it picks up from SR 739 and east. Business 41 goes up the small bit of SR 80, down the SR 82 Spur, then aross SR 82 to SR 739 and north to US 41.

Other things:
-SR 548 opened up the last segment, west of US 98/Florida Ave, in Lakeland. Its western terminus is at unsigned SR 600 (George Jenkins) where it turns from George Jenkins onto Sloan. There is an END SR 548 assembly there, too.
-The SR 539 and SR 563 intersection has been reformatted into a perpendicular intersection, as opposed to the curve SR 563 used to have around Lake Wire; the only thing left of that curve is the right turn lane for SR 563 NB. SR 539 has also been realigned as a more straight-shot from about Magnolia, south to SR 563. You can drive on the old alignments of SR 539, but they are cut off by the SR 548 viaduct now. There is an END SR 539 assembly, also.
-According to the contractor who did the work, Business US 98 is still alive and kicking :D And the US 33 sign is still on SR 33 just north of the US 92 intersection.
-In Plant City, the LGS with the older SR 39 shield on it, on CR 39B south at its turn west to SR 39, has been removed. Also, the two keys SR 574 shields have been removed from the CR 574A (Sammonds Road) intersection because CR 574A's approach has been remodified for safer use.
-There is still at least one last colored shield in Lake County...super-imposed over a another sign.
-Lake CR 565A (east-west section) has been realigned at its western terminus at SR 50.
-Sumter County has signed CR 567 and CR 730 along SR 471.

FLRoads

QuoteAccording to the contractor who did the work, Business US 98 is still alive and kicking  And the US 33 sign is still on SR 33 just north of the US 92 intersection.

Wow, that shield is still kicking around?? I took a photo of it back in early 2006. Not surprised its still there, though...

florida

Here it is..

And Business 98..

Newly configurated SR 539 & SR 563 intersection.

florida

If you love End/Begin signs..

florida

How many different Crosstown Expressway shields can we find?

agentsteel53

the first one is a classic.

wasn't Leroy Selmon a member of the Buccaneers team that went 0-14?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bryant5493

Alright, I was thinking about -- in the near future -- taking a roadtrip down to Albany (GA), following U.S. 19. I would start on the southside of Griffin, following U.S. 19 into Zebulon, Thomaston, Thomasville, then going into Tallahassee. From Tallahassee I would travel to Jacksonville, via a scenic route. I looked at MapQuest and avoided all Interstates. From Tallahassee, I would follow U.S. 27 South, picking up U.S. 19 in Jefferson County (FL), then follow U.S. 19 South/27 South into Perry, Florida. I would then continue to follow U.S. 27 South to Brantford, then pick up S.R. 247 East toward Lake City, Florida. From Lake City, I'd pick up U.S. 90 East, taking that into Jacksonville. While in Jacksonville, I would drive along I-295 (at the time I go, 295 would have probably taken over all of S.R. 9A).

Does anybody have any info on these routes? I've never been to the Florida panhandle, nor have I been on U.S. 19 south of Griffin. I'm shooting to do this roadtrip in the summer of 2011, if everything works out like I think it should.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.