News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 14, 2023, 02:43:24 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on August 13, 2023, 02:29:43 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 09, 2023, 06:18:04 AM
I-295 Northbound, DE 141 to US 13 Virtual Workshop
That is awesome, that should finally take care of the NB 95/295 bottleneck.
If only they could do something about the SB bottleneck....

Best solution there would be to reverse the split they have on NB Route 1 - keep thru traffic on the left side and traffic on 295 SB looking to reach Route 1 would take a flyover to the right side of the road.  Eliminates all of the weaving.  Unfortunately, the marshland surrounding 95 limits what they can do.
So they are just going to leave it as it, my god that is awful.

Also how long is this 896 mess going to be?

jmacswimmer

General observation about the I-95/DE 896 interchange project: I just realized the closure of the I-95 NB offramp is continuous for the duration of the project, and it seems, er, interesting that the official detour is to continue to exit 3, u-turn, and access DE 896 from the I-95 SB offramps.

Setting aside the matter of a certain toll plaza, I would think that exiting early at MD 279 would be faster (toll or no toll) than the exit 3 u-turn for most destinations involving NB exit 1. Currently the only indication of anything out of the ordinary ahead of the MD 279 interchange is these red & blue detour signs right before exit 109B which I presume are related to the project but provide no additional context beyond being, well, color-coded detours. I would also venture a guess that even if you continue past exit 1 to exit 3, that it might still be faster to not bother getting back on I-95 SB depending on destination.

Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2023, 01:53:00 PM

Have you checked the project website? I'd imagine it has an estimated timeline for completion.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Dough4872

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 28, 2023, 03:05:08 PM
General observation about the I-95/DE 896 interchange project: I just realized the closure of the I-95 NB offramp is continuous for the duration of the project, and it seems, er, interesting that the official detour is to continue to exit 3, u-turn, and access DE 896 from the I-95 SB offramps.

Setting aside the matter of a certain toll plaza, I would think that exiting early at MD 279 would be faster (toll or no toll) than the exit 3 u-turn for most destinations involving NB exit 1. Currently the only indication of anything out of the ordinary ahead of the MD 279 interchange is these red & blue detour signs right before exit 109B which I presume are related to the project but provide no additional context beyond being, well, color-coded detours. I would also venture a guess that even if you continue past exit 1 to exit 3, that it might still be faster to not bother getting back on I-95 SB depending on destination.

Have you checked the project website? I'd imagine it has an estimated timeline for completion.

Of course DelDOT doesn't want detour traffic bypassing their toll plaza. They're all about getting money from motorists so they make them pay the toll and then detour by going out of the way.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Dough4872 on August 28, 2023, 04:25:46 PM

Of course DelDOT doesn't want detour traffic bypassing their toll plaza. They're all about getting money from motorists so they make them pay the toll and then detour by going out of the way.

In general, detours are going to be posted *after* the closure point.  The reasoning is that motorists aren't going to be paying attention to detour signs before the closure point, and will drive right past the signs.  When they get to the closed ramp, they'll need detour signage anyway.  So no reason to sign 2 detours.

If the detour is so far out of the way after the closure point, they may sign the detour prior to the construction, but it doesn't occur often.

MASTERNC

I imagine GPS takes care of this 99% of the time

bluecountry

That DE896/95 display is really confusing.
I cannot figure out if 896 through traffic is going to have traffic signals or be a diverging diamond.

Alps

Quote from: bluecountry on August 30, 2023, 08:09:32 PM
I cannot figure out if 896 through traffic is going to have traffic signals or be a diverging diamond.
Yes.

https://95896improvements.com/
has videos showing improvements
try the videos

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

bluecountry

Quote from: Alps on August 31, 2023, 01:04:38 AM
Yes.

try the videos
Thanks.  Still wish DELDOT would fix 295 junction with 95SB.

Tonytone

Quote from: bluecountry on September 10, 2023, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 31, 2023, 01:04:38 AM
Yes.

try the videos
Thanks.  Still wish DELDOT would fix 295 junction with 95SB.

The only way they can fix the SB 95/295 Merge is by going back 50 years and putting the SB 295 Ramp on the right side of 95 where its supposed to be, mirroring the NB 295/95 Side.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

I just think it's hilarious, that this 896/95 project is only happening to due traffic shunpiking the toll to go past it into Maryland, and Newark.

They are literally building a huge ramp to handle the volume of shunpiking.

Alex

Quote from: Tonytone on September 11, 2023, 01:19:44 AM

I just think it's hilarious, that this 896/95 project is only happening to due traffic shunpiking the toll to go past it into Maryland, and Newark.

It is dealing with weaving traffic on SR 896 southbound between the two loop ramps with I-95, and finally addressing the growth in commuter traffic from I-95 onto SR 896 south of Newark, started with the completion of the four laning back in 1993.

Why would DelDOT consider shunpiking traffic as a reason to upgrade something?

74/171FAN

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex on September 11, 2023, 09:22:45 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on September 11, 2023, 01:19:44 AM

It is dealing with weaving traffic on SR 896 southbound between the two loop ramps with I-95, and finally addressing the growth in commuter traffic from I-95 onto SR 896 south of Newark, started with the completion of the four laning back in 1993.

Why would DelDOT consider shunpiking traffic as a reason to upgrade something?

I took those ramps everyday for years. The biggest back up was with 95 SB Drivers getting off 95 & getting on the Newark & Middletown Ramps.

The NB 95 ramps had no back up issues.

In fact they fixed the Loop merge issue when they dropped 896 from 2 lanes at the loop merges to 1 lane allowing the 95 On & Off ramps to have their own dedicated lane fixing the merging issue.

Like ive said before on here if the toll booth was after the MD 279 Elkton/Newark exit there wouldnt be traffic that bad on those ramps from shunpiking & this project wouldn't be needed.

Also from 896 project page https://95896improvements.com/about/project-overview#purpose-and-need

QuoteOf the estimated Annual Average Daily Traffic of about 127,000 vehicles per day (89% passenger vehicles, 11% heavy-duty vehicles) traveling through this part of the I-95 corridor, over half (60%!) of these vehicles utilize this interchange to enter/exit I-95.

Over 60% of people taking an exit sounds like Skipping the toll to me.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on September 11, 2023, 10:16:31 AM
Also from 896 project page https://95896improvements.com/about/project-overview#purpose-and-need

QuoteOf the estimated Annual Average Daily Traffic of about 127,000 vehicles per day (89% passenger vehicles, 11% heavy-duty vehicles) traveling through this part of the I-95 corridor, over half (60%!) of these vehicles utilize this interchange to enter/exit I-95.

We determined that number was mis-stated.  Going back to this post: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=372.msg2820412#msg2820412 , the traffic count North of Interchange 1 in 2021 is 117,657, and south of Interchange 1 was 79,581, showing about 33% of the traffic exited and entered here. 

That said, looking at the more recent 2022 data: https://deldot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=4f76a1fa5b5c493cb3e1fad44a50dad1 , it shows traffic volumes went up prior to the interchange, but down after the interchange, which is...odd.  It now shows 120,328 vehicles north of Int. 1, and 69,847 south of Int 1, revealing 42% of traffic is now exiting at the interchange in 2022.  Yet looking at the traffic counts on and and near 896, they don't really reflect any major difference, and I think they actually decreased in some cases.  Not sure where the additional 20,000 vehicles went.

Either way, it's not close to the 60% figure cited by the news article.

Remember also that people live, work, and go to school off 896.  The traffic counts in the above show there's a significant dropoff the closer you get to the DE/MD state line via various routes that people could take to shunpike.  Looking at DE 279, there's only about a 2,000 vehicle increase south of DE 4 & Red Lion Road compared to North of it.  And on the other side, there's significant volume drops prior to the MD State Line.

It's also notable that even without a toll plaza, many of the people entering MD from various roads off of 896 would do so anyway if they live close to the state line.  There's some significant developments within a mile of the state line that would require backtracking if someone were to enter/exit at MD 279 and go thru the toll plaza.

And finally, motorists using 95 to 896 South could be also shunpiking...DE 1 & US 301.  Of the various toll free options to get to Middletown, 95 to 896 to 71 is the fastest; usually faster than taking DE 1 to US 13 south of the C&D Canal.

So, yes, people are shunpiking.  Is it 60%?  No - the media got that wrong, and DelDOT's traffic counts prove that.  What's the actual percentage?  If I had to guess some numbers, probably in the neighborhood of 10-15%, with another few percentage points of people living in MD that would utilize the interchange regardless.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 11, 2023, 01:25:44 PM

We determined that number was mis-stated.  Going back to this post: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=372.msg2820412#msg2820412 , the traffic count North of Interchange 1 in 2021 is 117,657, and south of Interchange 1 was 79,581, showing about 33% of the traffic exited and entered here. 

That said, looking at the more recent 2022 data: https://deldot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=4f76a1fa5b5c493cb3e1fad44a50dad1 , it shows traffic volumes went up prior to the interchange, but down after the interchange, which is...odd.  It now shows 120,328 vehicles north of Int. 1, and 69,847 south of Int 1, revealing 42% of traffic is now exiting at the interchange in 2022.  Yet looking at the traffic counts on and and near 896, they don't really reflect any major difference, and I think they actually decreased in some cases.  Not sure where the additional 20,000 vehicles went.

Remember also that people live, work, and go to school off 896.  The traffic counts in the above show there's a significant dropoff the closer you get to the DE/MD state line via various routes that people could take to shunpike.  Looking at DE 279, there's only about a 2,000 vehicle increase south of DE 4 & Red Lion Road compared to North of it.  And on the other side, there's significant volume drops prior to the MD State Line.

It's also notable that even without a toll plaza, many of the people entering MD from various roads off of 896 would do so anyway if they live close to the state line.  There's some significant developments within a mile of the state line that would require backtracking if someone were to enter/exit at MD 279 and go thru the toll plaza.

And finally, motorists using 95 to 896 South could be also shunpiking...DE 1 & US 301.  Of the various toll free options to get to Middletown, 95 to 896 to 71 is the fastest; usually faster than taking DE 1 to US 13 south of the C&D Canal.

So, yes, people are shunpiking.  Is it 60%?  No - the media got that wrong, and DelDOT's traffic counts prove that.  What's the actual percentage?  If I had to guess some numbers, probably in the neighborhood of 10-15%, with another few percentage points of people living in MD that would utilize the interchange regardless.
Careful. You're taking numbers before and after the interchange and assuming that's pure exit. People do enter there also. If you account for them, this traffic engineer bets that 50% is totally what's happening.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2023, 06:22:56 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 11, 2023, 01:25:44 PM

Careful. You're taking numbers before and after the interchange and assuming that's pure exit. People do enter there also. If you account for them, this traffic engineer bets that 50% is totally what's happening.

At this interchange, I would expect there would be very few people entering going south and exiting coming north.  Some, sure.  But not a whole lot.

I'm also considering things like the turn lanes at the most likely points of shunpiking, both on 896 and 279, and admittedly limited observations.  They wouldn't support the volume of traffic if everyone exiting was shunpiking.

Am I basing this just on the volumes shown, without the availability of more specific turning lane volumes and such?  Again, sure.  But I believe, as we groupthink here, we may over-estimate how many people shunpike because we've convinced ourselves that everyone should shunpike.  Seeing how relatively few cars wait to turn compared to the thru traffic at the likely shunpiking intersections on 896 leads me to believe shunpiking, while somewhat significant, isn't tremendously so, especially taking into account the number of people that live right around the DE/MD border and would use the exits before the toll plaza anyway because it's the shortest and best route available to their homes/destinations.

Tonytone

I 100% agree with both you Jeff and Alex that this project isn't just merited due to the fact of Shunpikers, ill pull my exaggeration back a bit.

However the congestion due to the loop ramps was fixed when they made it 1 lane over the bridge, so in reality minor rehabilitation of the ramps, and etc maybe would have been a better investment in money in this interchange. I see other interchanges like 273/1 or 13/1 in more need of a revamp then 896/95.

Glasgow, as well as further down 896 and beyond is built up now, in fact I would say most people who are exiting 95 via Middletown exit are most likely trying to access 896/40 and even going over the 896 bridge to middletown which will see even more use once the 301/896 connection is built.

However, for the Points Newark, and Elkton I do believe a good majority of people are using the Newark exit to bypass the road and hit MD 279 and even the other side of Newark, A good amount of traffic that gets off of there does three things, Takes the turn on the very backwood Welsh Tract Rd, Takes the weird Jugg Handle Turn onto Chestnut Rd or Takes the turn onto the 4 Towards Home Depot.

Those three turns disperse a good amount of traffic, and as a once resident in the area of 279 & Appleby Rd in Elkton I would also take 1 of three turns to go home.

The only time I would not take that exit, would be during the afternoon rush hour when that Newark Exit was very backed up, and I would continue straight through the toll to take the MD 279 exit to save me 15 minutes, and get home without a headache.

Also thanks for the exact numbers, I do remember us talking about that before, and I couldn't find the Offical numbers when searching online.

Do they have the numbers for the 3 Minor roads I brought up?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on September 11, 2023, 07:26:00 PM

Just whatever was on this link (copied from earlier): https://deldot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=4f76a1fa5b5c493cb3e1fad44a50dad1

DelDOT's website does have other traffic count links, but I haven't clicked in them to see what they offer. (Do a Google search on DelDOT traffic counts; that's the easiest way to pull up their info.)

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 11, 2023, 10:18:08 PM

Just whatever was on this link (copied from earlier): https://deldot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=4f76a1fa5b5c493cb3e1fad44a50dad1

DelDOT's website does have other traffic count links, but I haven't clicked in them to see what they offer. (Do a Google search on DelDOT traffic counts; that's the easiest way to pull up their info.)

Interesting thank you for that link now we can look at some data.

28,000 vehicles take those three roads I mentioned, thats not including Ironhill road which is another 11K. (I wonder if MD had this same GIS map so we can see their end)

Let's hypothetically say 28K people got off at the ramp everyday to shunpike the toll via those three roads.

If we add 28K too the number that continues after the exit which was around 69K that brings the vehicles continuing on through the Toll at 97K   

A substantial amount of vehicles.

Now looking at the 279 in Newark the averages for that road is around 27K pretty high, I didn't expect that number, however it is a very traversed road.

I would assume that a good amount of vehicles looking at this data is in fact getting off at the Newark exit to Shunpike the toll.

What do you think?

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on September 11, 2023, 11:02:30 PM

28,000 vehicles take those three roads I mentioned, thats not including Ironhill road which is another 11K. (I wonder if MD had this same GIS map so we can see their end)

Let’s hypothetically say 28K people got off at the ramp everyday to shunpike the toll via those three roads.

If we add 28K too the number that continues after the exit which was around 69K that brings the vehicles continuing on through the Toll at 97K   

Now looking at the 279 in Newark the averages for that road is around 27K pretty high, I didn’t expect that number, however it is a very traversed road.

I would assume that a good amount of vehicles looking at this data is in fact getting off at the Newark exit to Shunpike the toll.

What do you think?

There are thousands of homes in the Newark-Elkton-Glasgow triangle that are served by the SR 896 exit, and thousands more served by the SR 279 exit that can easily be served by 896 with five minutes of extra driving. Delaware's population and employment centers live north of these exits, it's only natural for trips generated by these thousands of homes to trend northward up the interstate. People are taking these exits and using the secondary roads in its vicinity because they live there. The notion of toll-skipping even being a notable source of traffic generation at these exits is ridiculous, if that were true the reciprocal exit and collecting intersections on SR 279 would be just as heinous.

EDIT - To expound on this further, here's the dividing line in terms of travel times for a trip from SB I-95 to points in Elkton / Glasgow. West of the line you're better off taking the SR 279 exit, east of it SR 896. This was assuming clear conditions, however if you define a Depart By time for the evening rush hour it does not change the dividing line appreciably. Observe just how much of Elkton and its suburbs are better off being accessed by SR 896. These exits are busy because the area around them is busy, and any additional traffic generated by people toll-skipping is a drop in the bucket compared to the sheer number of people just taking the quickest route home.

👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 11, 2023, 07:06:42 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2023, 06:22:56 PM
Says a lot of smart things.
Can be an idiot more often than he will admit.

So I gave this some thought during my commute today.  Not only on 95 itself, but especially at the intersections off the highway. And totally get more of an appreciation of what you were saying, especially considering the various turning movements at 896 & 4, and 4 and 279.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 12, 2023, 01:15:36 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on September 11, 2023, 11:02:30 PM

Let's hypothetically say 28K people got off at the ramp everyday to shunpike the toll via those three roads.

Now looking at the 279 in Newark the averages for that road is around 27K pretty high, I didn't expect that number, however it is a very traversed road.

What do you think?

There are thousands of homes in the Newark-Elkton-Glasgow triangle that are served by the SR 896 exit, and thousands more served by the SR 279 exit that can easily be served by 896 with five minutes of extra driving. Delaware's population and employment centers live north of these exits, it's only natural for trips generated by these thousands of homes to trend northward up the interstate. People are taking these exits and using the secondary roads in its vicinity because they live there. The notion of toll-skipping even being a notable source of traffic generation at these exits is ridiculous, if that were true the reciprocal exit and collecting intersections on SR 279 would be just as heinous.

EDIT - To expound on this further, here's the dividing line in terms of travel times for a trip from SB I-95 to points in Elkton / Glasgow. West of the line you're better off taking the SR 279 exit, east of it SR 896. This was assuming clear conditions, however if you define a Depart By time for the evening rush hour it does not change the dividing line appreciably. Observe just how much of Elkton and its suburbs are better off being accessed by SR 896. These exits are busy because the area around them is busy, and any additional traffic generated by people toll-skipping is a drop in the bucket compared to the sheer number of people just taking the quickest route home.

Thank you for that breakdown, I have to say I agree with you, east of the 279 exit  is busier then west of it due to less sprawl that way of the river.

Taking the 279 exit would be a better bet for you if you lived in Elkton or trying to access Newark without the headache.

The 896 exit does give drivers better alternatives to get home or go shopping, and etc.

I do wonder if there was no toll how many more people would take that exit compared to 896 or would they continue doing the same thing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.