News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pretentious street names

Started by 1995hoo, November 02, 2021, 08:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: skluth on November 02, 2021, 04:25:58 PM
It's funny that Ye is a misunderstanding caused by the invention of printing and fonts. We don't have thorn or eth thanks to the Germans who didn't use either letter.

The obvious follow-up, of course, is what do they do in Iceland when they want to sound old-timey?

catch22

Ford Motor Company's HQ building in Dearborn, MI has the address "1 American Road."   It was originally simply "The American Road" with no number.  American Road is the just the driveway to the front parking lot. If logic prevailed instead of vanity, the building would have an address somewhere in the 17100 block of Michigan Avenue.

Big John

Avenue of the Americas in New York City

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on November 02, 2021, 06:31:21 PM

Who actually calls it that? I've never heard it called anything other than Sixth Avenue.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zachary_amaryllis

interocean blvd in holyoke, colo. i've mentioned it elsewhere.

fort collins has this area with all these nautical-themed streets ... that surround a smallish pond. things like whaler's way, landings drive, etc.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

formulanone

Quote from: I-35 on November 02, 2021, 02:40:41 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 02, 2021, 01:11:29 PM
It's hard to top the "Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce Beltway", for all-round unctuousness.

Tell me the locals have shortened that to the CoC Ring.

Ooof...though it's more of a spur.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.94455,-75.9831851,4452m/data=!3m1!1e3

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2021, 06:33:40 PM

Who actually calls it that? I've never heard it called anything other than Sixth Avenue.
It did have its day in the late '80s and early '90s, but...yeah.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

Imagine having an office on Silicon Valley Boulevard, in San Jose: https://goo.gl/maps/8HkZF6v5DL95FDrk7

You are closer to Gilroy than to Google.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

paulthemapguy

When I was about 13 years old, my mom was driving the minivan with myself and my brother inside, and she took a wrong turn into this OBNOXIOUSLY PRETENTIOUS neighborhood in southern Naperville, where every street name begins with "Royal".  Seriously.  Look at this garbage. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6884206,-88.2207144,16.75z

A historic moment occurred as my mom got lost in that neighborhood, because she got really angry, prompting her to yell, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, I'M STUCK HERE ON ROYAL SHITBOX DRIVE".  My brother and I laughed our asses off and "Royal Shitbox Drive" became a thing we would reference for years to come.

Anyway, what other Royal Shitbox Drives have people encountered?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

vdeane

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 02, 2021, 08:30:33 PM
When I was about 13 years old, my mom was driving the minivan with myself and my brother inside, and she took a wrong turn into this OBNOXIOUSLY PRETENTIOUS neighborhood in southern Naperville, where every street name begins with "Royal".  Seriously.  Look at this garbage. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6884206,-88.2207144,16.75z

A historic moment occurred as my mom got lost in that neighborhood, because she got really angry, prompting her to yell, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING, I'M STUCK HERE ON ROYAL SHITBOX DRIVE".  My brother and I laughed our asses off and "Royal Shitbox Drive" became a thing we would reference for years to come.

That reminds me of King's Isle Luxury Apartments in a nearby town; they do something similar with their street names.  They even have a very large castle wall sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 02, 2021, 08:30:33 PM

I believe those are all golf courses in Great Britain. Even the streets that don't start with Royal.

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

empirestate

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2021, 06:33:40 PM

When writing/giving an address, everybody. When referring to the street itself, nobody.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: catch22 on November 02, 2021, 06:02:53 PM
Ford Motor Company's HQ building in Dearborn, MI has the address "1 American Road."   It was originally simply "The American Road" with no number.  American Road is the just the driveway to the front parking lot. If logic prevailed instead of vanity, the building would have an address somewhere in the 17100 block of Michigan Avenue.

Then there's "One Microsoft Way" in Redmond WA.  A combination of an address and business model.  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

kiwislark

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 02, 2021, 02:18:53 PM
Quote from: michravera on November 02, 2021, 02:05:49 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2021, 10:51:36 AM
Pretty much any road with a French name that isn't located in Detroit, New Orleans or near Quebec.

What about roads in France, Monaco, Western Italy, Switzerland, Guadeloupe, or Francophonic Africa? Are those pretentious?

How dare you forget French Guiana and St. Pierre & Miquelon.  :)

Chris
French Polynesia and New Caledonia too!

Bruce

Pretty much any road with a French name that isn't located in Detroit, New Orleans or near Quebec. 

Pend Orielle and Coeur d'Alene say bonjour.

Scott5114

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 02, 2021, 11:08:22 PM
Quote from: catch22 on November 02, 2021, 06:02:53 PM

Then there's "One Microsoft Way" in Redmond WA.  A combination of an address and business model.  :)

The same is true with Apple and "One Infinite Loop" in Cupertino CA.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Crown Victoria

Sargento Foods has their headquarters at One Persnickety Place in Plymouth, WI.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7725115,-87.9981606,17.71z?hl=en

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 03, 2021, 08:57:48 AM
Sargento Foods has their headquarters at One Persnickety Place in Plymouth, WI.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7725115,-87.9981606,17.71z?hl=en

Which was an old advertising slogan of theres....and they would love to change the name of.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on November 03, 2021, 02:35:42 AM

Ah, how can I forget about CDA when I used to date a girl from there?

michravera

Quote from: empirestate on November 02, 2021, 05:56:03 PM
Quote from: skluth on November 02, 2021, 04:25:58 PM
It's funny that Ye is a misunderstanding caused by the invention of printing and fonts. We don't have thorn or eth thanks to the Germans who didn't use either letter.

The obvious follow-up, of course, is what do they do in Iceland when they want to sound old-timey?

The answer is simple: In Iceland, when they want to sound old-timey, the simply speak English! It is reasonable to think that Icelandic (although what I've seen of it looks more PIE than most other European languages) has evolved and English might be viewed as the "old" language.

vegas1962

When the Detroit Pistons won their first NBA championship in 1989, the access road leading into the parking lot at the Palace of Auburn Hills was dubbed "1 Championship Drive."  The number was increased each time one of the arena's basketball tenants, the Pistons and the WNBA Detroit Shock, won a league title.  At the time of the building's demise, the address had incremented to "6 Championship Drive" for the Pistons' three NBA titles and the Shock's three WNBA championships. And they should have made it "7 Championship Drive," but alas, they decided to not bother counting the Detroit Vipers' IHL championship in 1997.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 03, 2021, 10:26:50 AM
Quote from: Bruce on November 03, 2021, 02:35:42 AM

Ah, how can I forget about CDA when I used to date a girl from there?

Northern Minnesota has a decent amount too.  Mille Lacs, Cloquet, etc.

Chris

thspfc

Quote from: vegas1962 on November 03, 2021, 04:05:57 PM
When the Detroit Pistons won their first NBA championship in 1989, the access road leading into the parking lot at the Palace of Auburn Hills was dubbed "1 Championship Drive."  The number was increased each time one of the arena's basketball tenants, the Pistons and the WNBA Detroit Shock, won a league title.  At the time of the building's demise, the address had incremented to "6 Championship Drive" for the Pistons' three NBA titles and the Shock's three WNBA championships. And they should have made it "7 Championship Drive," but alas, they decided to not bother counting the Detroit Vipers' IHL championship in 1997.
Ford Field has entered the chat  :-D

epzik8

Lots of side streets in Columbia, Maryland
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.