News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Thirteen of your last 25 posts (52 percent) are in this thread.

Maybe you should lay off a bit. Or a lot.

Rothman

I don't see the issue with him reporting his daily weather in this thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on April 21, 2019, 01:28:36 PM
I don't see the issue with him reporting his daily weather in this thread.

This thread is meant for unusual events.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

50s with fog and light rain.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Hoping for the first 80 of 2019 today, made it to 77 yesterday, which was the warmest Easter in 5 years
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Eth

After a drizzly and unseasonably cold Saturday (a high of 50 degrees; the average low this time of year is 53), we've quickly reverted back to warm sunshine. 72 degrees today at lunchtime with a high of 80, and pretty much expected to stay that way all this week.

Roadgeekteen

Hurricane Rex

Finally getting out some rain and into the sun for longer periods. Not above average but I'll take it.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

ipeters61

Currently under a tornado watch here.  71 degrees with 16mph winds according to NWS.  It just started to downpour about 5 minutes ago.

The weather here was pretty interesting today.  We had a few downpours in the morning (9am-11am) and then it was sunny, but as I was leaving work around 4:30pm, there were some dark clouds approaching.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

KEVIN_224

Tolland County, CT (i.e. Vernon, Stafford Springs and U-Conn-Storrs areas) was under a tornado warning for a time on Friday afternoon. Hartford's Brainard Airport (HFD) picked up 2.2 inches in about 24 hours. Sections of the Connecticut River were already aggravated from earlier in the week.

ce929wax

F*&^%ing snow.   Sometimes I hate Michigan.

Mark68

Rain/snow mix yesterday. Cloudy and 40 right now with an expected high of 53 along with afternoon showers.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Bruce

High 60s/low 70s for most of this week and it's expected to be mid-70s next week. Also low humidity, which means everything feels too dry.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on May 02, 2019, 07:45:06 PM
High 60s/low 70s for most of this week and it's expected to be mid-70s next week. Also low humidity, which means everything feels too dry.

I'm seeing 84 next Friday! Psyched!

MNHighwayMan

High of 70 °F predicted for today, and 74 °F tomorrow, then back into the sublime 60s for the start of next week. Lots of rain in that forecast, too, starting tomorrow.

I have a strong dislike for hot weather. A temperature of 75 degrees is the definitive spot where I start to be uncomfortable, with my preference for temps being between 60 and 70 degrees, both inside and out. I settle for 70—75 inside during the summer, though, on account of electricity cost.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 04, 2019, 10:32:36 AM
I have a strong dislike for hot weather.

Same here, I'm probably weird in that I prefer temps in the 50s to temps in the 80s. Anything in the 60s is great, while anything in the 70s is usually OK as long as it's not stifling or excessively humid.

jakeroot

I mostly prefer 80s-90s because it gets me out. 50s and below keeps me inside, or force me to get all dressed up before going out.

If you talk to a lot of Seattleites, they'll go on and on about how much they prefer the colder weather. But there sure seems to be a lot more people out walking and biking during warm weather. It's "cool" here to like rainy/clouds/cool weather, but we're all human...being warm is a natural preference. Being hot? Not sure how many people are truly hot at 80 or even 90. At least those that are in good shape. If you're fat, I could see a preference for colder weather.

The only time that I'm annoyed by hot weather is at night when I'm in DC. Unlike Seattle (the climate I'm used to), the temp doesn't readily drop when the sun does. It can get rather annoying when it's 9:30 PM and it's still 85 and humid as hell. But even then, that's only the case when I'm at DC United games. Otherwise, I'm near AC and I can figure things out.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on May 04, 2019, 06:48:59 PM
I mostly prefer 80s-90s because it gets me out. 50s and below keeps me inside, or force me to get all dressed up before going out.

If you talk to a lot of Seattleites, they'll go on and on about how much they prefer the colder weather. But there sure seems to be a lot more people out walking and biking during warm weather. It's "cool" here to like rainy/clouds/cool weather, but we're all human...being warm is a natural preference. Being hot? Not sure how many people are truly hot at 80 or even 90. At least those that are in good shape. If you're fat, I could see a preference for colder weather.

The only time that I'm annoyed by hot weather is at night when I'm in DC. Unlike Seattle (the climate I'm used to), the temp doesn't readily drop when the sun does. It can get rather annoying when it's 9:30 PM and it's still 85 and humid as hell. But even then, that's only the case when I'm at DC United games. Otherwise, I'm near AC and I can figure things out.

Sunny and warm days are made nicer if they're more spread out and not an oppressive, months-long process. Lack of air conditioning in our homes also means that the cold is a friend.

webny99

In my case just the opposite. Anything in the 50s and 60s is great outdoors weather. I wouldn't even consider "dressing up" to go outside at 50 - I actually found the thought of doing so mildly amusing - while at 80+ I'd probably rather be inside in the AC than go out at all. It really depends on context whether I will legitimately be "hot" at 80 degrees. With the sun behind clouds and a nice breeze blowing, probably not. But with no wind and the sun beating down, almost certainly yes.

Two factors are that this area tends to have high humidity, and I'm in OK but definitely not the greatest physical shape.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on May 04, 2019, 09:03:42 PM
In my case just the opposite. Anything in the 50s and 60s is great outdoors weather. I wouldn't even consider "dressing up" to go outside at 50 - I actually found the thought of doing so mildly amusing - while at 80+ I'd probably rather be inside in the AC than go out at all.

Agree. Temperatures in the 50s are still t-shirt and shorts weather (edit: if it's calm and not windy/raining), especially if I'm planning on being active.

ipeters61

In my case just the opposite. Anything in the 50s and 60s is great outdoors weather. I wouldn't even consider "dressing up" to go outside at 50 - I actually found the thought of doing so mildly amusing - while at 80+ I'd probably rather be inside in the AC than go out at all. It really depends on context whether I will legitimately be "hot" at 80 degrees. With the sun behind clouds and a nice breeze blowing, probably not. But with no wind and the sun beating down, almost certainly yes.

Two factors are that this area tends to have high humidity, and I'm in OK but definitely not the greatest physical shape.
I'm like you, webny99.  People here will complain that it's "too cold" to go without a jacket unless it's at least 65, but I won't wear one starting at around 50-55 (ostensibly because I lived in New England or Northeastern PA for most of my life)...and then I feel too hot when it's at least 75 (without a cloud in the sky) to 80 (with clouds/breeze).  The only real advantage to that hot weather is that it's reasonable if I can go to the beach that day, but otherwise it's just painful.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on May 04, 2019, 08:54:17 PM
Sunny and warm days are made nicer if they're more spread out and not an oppressive, months-long process. Lack of air conditioning in our homes also means that the cold is a friend.

I have been lucky, growing up in homes that have had AC. My opinion on hot weather may be different if that weren't the case. One of the primary arguments against hot weather is that you can escape the cold with a jacket, but you can't necessarily escape the heat (you can only remove so much clothing!). But if you have AC, you can effectively escape the heat.

If it means anything, I did grow up in suburban Pierce County, well away from the water. Summer temps in the 80s and 90s seem to be a bit more common down here than up north. It's entirely possible that I've developed a higher tolerance for heat than people in your neck of the woods.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 05, 2019, 02:47:54 AM
In my case just the opposite. Anything in the 50s and 60s is great outdoors weather. I wouldn't even consider "dressing up" to go outside at 50 - I actually found the thought of doing so mildly amusing - while at 80+ I'd probably rather be inside in the AC than go out at all.

Agree. Temperatures in the 50s are still t-shirt and shorts weather (edit: if it's calm and not windy/raining), especially if I'm planning on being active.

For the record, "all dressed up", to me, means putting on warmer clothes than what is normally comfortable to wear around the house. Switching into jeans, putting on a light jacket, putting on shoes instead of something you can slip on like flip-flops, etc. In summer weather, indoor and outdoor clothing is virtually the same.

Check out these polls I can find online:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weather/1820857-what-temperature-can-you-comfortably-wear.html
https://community.babycenter.com/post/a56408845/temperature_and_shorts_poll
https://weather.com/news/news/how-hot-is-too-hot-survey

In the first two, we can see a strong preference for shorts starting in the 70s. The last link is "how hot is too hot". According to the poll, the Upper Midwest is the least tolerable, with people becoming uncomfortable at 85. Either way, that's still a ways up there, and right about in line with what I would consider to be ideal.

My only point with these polls is to point out that, while my preference may seem odd to you guys, it's more normal than you may realize.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.