News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on February 15, 2021, 10:09:08 AM

Quote from: webny99 on February 14, 2021, 10:45:46 PM
It is absurd to see snow as far south as San Antonio. I've had friends down there since about 2014 or so, and I believe this is only the second time they've had snow since then.

Snowed even further south. Del Rio, TX had heavy snow falling at one point last night

Del Rio is west of San Antonio, not south.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ET21

Quote from: kphoger on February 15, 2021, 10:11:33 AM
Quote from: ET21 on February 15, 2021, 10:09:08 AM

Quote from: webny99 on February 14, 2021, 10:45:46 PM
It is absurd to see snow as far south as San Antonio. I've had friends down there since about 2014 or so, and I believe this is only the second time they've had snow since then.

Snowed even further south. Del Rio, TX had heavy snow falling at one point last night

Del Rio is west of San Antonio, not south.

Corpus Christi then, which also had about an inch of snow and a couple tenths of ice
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Bruce

We're already done with the snow and now will have a nice layer of ice to deal with. Temps now above freezing again.

kphoger

The local power company has announced rolling blackouts to conserve energy.

Yay!   :awesomeface:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ilpt4u

Taking a live look at the Google Maps Traffic page...basically the entire I-69 NAFTA Freeway corridor is slow moving Interstate travel, as this snow storm extends from Houston, TX to Port Huron, MI

ozarkman417

Measured 4-5 inches of snow on the ground today. With the second wave, I'm only expected to get 3-4 inches, but if for some reason the storm track were to move north, I would be recieving double that amount. This is the most snow Springfield has received in 8 or so years.

US 89

Currently 45 with some light rain showers in ATL. Actually had some thunderstorms earlier today, including at least one lightning strike about a mile from me. But that was nothing compared to South Georgia and the Florida panhandle, which saw several severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings this afternoon. In particular, Damascus GA was hit by a significant tornado - we'll probably get a rating on that tomorrow or the day after.

Tonight, the arctic air will finally make a push into Georgia although it won't be anywhere near as cold as most of the rest of the country is experiencing. That said, the 3/4 inch of rain earlier today combined with a low of 25 will be perfect for black ice formation tonight. Many schools and institutions around the Atlanta metro will be on a 2 hour delay tomorrow as a result.

The high tomorrow is going to be 34 - over 20 degrees below average - with wind chills around 10. At least we'll see the sun for the first time in a week.

capt.ron

Roads almost statewide in Arkansas have a good coating of snow on them from the first of two major winter storms (Uri, Viola). About 8 to 10 inches on the ground in my locale. Another 6 to 10 inches is predicted for Tuesday night until early Thursday morning. Until we get warmer weather soon, Central AR and points north will pretty much grind to a halt.

webny99

It's amazing what a broad swath of the country is currently experiencing the effects of this storm system. You couldn't count on a single mile of clear roads all the way from here to San Antonio.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 15, 2021, 08:07:24 PM
Taking a live look at the Google Maps Traffic page...basically the entire I-69 NAFTA Freeway corridor is slow moving Interstate travel, as this snow storm extends from Houston, TX to Port Huron, MI

For posterity:
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cjk374

7 a.m.

2/16/21

The KSLA Ch. 12 app on my phone is showing +7°F for my location. The last time it was this cold in this area (using stats from the Shreveport NWS) was December 1989...31 years!

Fun fact: the coldest temperature ever recorded in Louisiana: -16°F, recorded 30 miles west of me in Minden, in 1899. So it can get worse around here if Mother Nature really tried hard enough.

As for round 2, it's supposed to roll in here about midnight/1 a.m. and last al the way through Thursday! Accumulation predicted to be 2-4 more inches of snow & ice when it is all said and done.  This is the most accumulation of snow & ice I have seen here since the early 80s.

This is wild to me!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kphoger

It was around —10°F when I left for work this morning.  No snow since yesterday afternoon, although it's possible we'll get a few more flurries later today.  By and large, though, today is forecast to be partly sunny with temps getting up to 12°F at around 4:00.

The highways here are still mostly clear.  The two right lanes have been pretty clear all day yesterday and today, and the left lane is easy enough to drive in for passing, even if it has occasional snow pack due to drifting.  Major streets are either un-slippery snow pack or else sanded/salted.  Side streets remain unplowed, but this snow gives plenty of traction.

We haven't personally had a blackout yet, but the power company has already said they'll be doing more of them today.  They recommended people to keep their thermostats set between 65°F and 68°F.  Ours is set at 70°F, which leaves the main living areas at around 65—67°F, our bedrooms at around 55—60°F, and the back half-bath at around 52°F (partly because our kids have a habit of leaving bathroom doors closed when nobody's in there, so no heat makes it in).  My wife runs a licensed home daycare, and state regulations require us to maintain at least 65°F indoors.  Considering that the areas the daycare kids are in are currently 65—67°F, we can't really afford much of a blackout.  If the temp drops below 65°F, she's required to call parents and have them pick their kids up.  Yeesh...
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

Just ran the snowblower on the driveway and we've had a foot of snow since yesterday morning, and I'm not exaggerating. And it's still snowing. Well over 2 feet of depth on the ground right now.

The $700 on the snowblower is the best $700 I've ever spent.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ET21

14.5 inches of new snow from this system, most of it lake effect. My snowpack is now 30 inches
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 09:13:01 AMIt was around —10°F when I left for work this morning.  No snow since yesterday afternoon, although it's possible we'll get a few more flurries later today.  By and large, though, today is forecast to be partly sunny with temps getting up to 12°F at around 4:00.

Did you take the battery inside?

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 09:13:01 AMThe highways here are still mostly clear.  The two right lanes have been pretty clear all day yesterday and today, and the left lane is easy enough to drive in for passing, even if it has occasional snow pack due to drifting.  Major streets are either un-slippery snow pack or else sanded/salted.  Side streets remain unplowed, but this snow gives plenty of traction.

I have never known a time when Wichita has plowed side streets, though some suburbs (e.g., Bel Aire) do.  I have walked up our street with a shovel several times in past snowstorms to clear intersection throats where cars tend to get stuck unless they come through with some momentum.

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 09:13:01 AMWe haven't personally had a blackout yet, but the power company has already said they'll be doing more of them today.  They recommended people to keep their thermostats set between 65°F and 68°F.  Ours is set at 70°F, which leaves the main living areas at around 65—67°F, our bedrooms at around 55—60°F, and the back half-bath at around 52°F (partly because our kids have a habit of leaving bathroom doors closed when nobody's in there, so no heat makes it in).  My wife runs a licensed home daycare, and state regulations require us to maintain at least 65°F indoors.  Considering that the areas the daycare kids are in are currently 65—67°F, we can't really afford much of a blackout.  If the temp drops below 65°F, she's required to call parents and have them pick their kids up.  Yeesh...

We haven't had power cuts either.  Supposedly Wichita will continue to be at risk at least through Wednesday, when temperatures are forecast to rise to the twenties.  I understand planned power cuts have already occurred in the Kansas River cities (Salina, Manhattan, Topeka, Kansas City).

I have reservations about the suggestion to set thermostats as low as 65° F.  When power is cut to the thermostat in a house, it is not uncommon--and may in fact be routine--for a gas furnace not to cycle back on even when the power comes back on, unless and until the heating pattern is manually re-selected on the thermostat.  I've seen reports of indoor temperatures dropping 10° F within 20 minutes, and if the starting temperature is 65° F, that drop will allow pipes to freeze.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 16, 2021, 12:25:21 PM
Did you take the battery inside?

No, I didn't.  I suspected that yesterday morning's hard start was in part due to the fact that, on Sunday, I had started the car to move it off the driveway during shoveling, then started it to put it back in the driveway later.  Thus, I had drained the battery some but not driven anywhere to allow the alternator to recharge it.  And sure enough, starting the car this morning was no more difficult than yesterday.  Though, I did tell my boss there was a possibility it wouldn't start for me.

My car has a lingering timing issue, the cause of which is unknown and therefore not fixed.  I decided not to remove the battery overnight and risk the ECM resetting and causing the problem to worsen.

We haven't had power cuts either.  Supposedly Wichita will continue to be at risk at least through Wednesday, when temperatures are forecast to rise to the twenties.  I understand planned power cuts have already occurred in the Kansas River cities (Salina, Manhattan, Topeka, Kansas City).

I have reservations about the suggestion to set thermostats as low as 65° F.  When power is cut to the thermostat in a house, it is not uncommon--and may in fact be routine--for a gas furnace not to cycle back on even when the power comes back on, unless and until the heating pattern is manually re-selected on the thermostat.  I've seen reports of indoor temperatures dropping 10° F within 20 minutes, and if the starting temperature is 65° F, that drop will allow pipes to freeze.

Fortunately, we have a basement that runs almost the entire length of the house, so most all the pipes are indoors or underground.  The only sink whose pipes we're at all worried about leaks anyway, so it "trickles" on its own.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 09:13:01 AMMajor streets are either un-slippery snow pack or else sanded/salted.  Side streets remain unplowed, but this snow gives plenty of traction.

I have never known a time when Wichita has plowed side streets, though some suburbs (e.g., Bel Aire) do.

I've known for years now that this is how many places out west handle snow, and yet it still seems absurd to me that side streets simply don't get plowed. We got about 3 inches of new snow last night topped with an icy mix, and the plow came by at least twice: Once last night around 10 PM, and once in the early morning. The main roads, meanwhile, were basically clear by morning commute. I'd bet the plow had been down most of them at least 3-4 times between sunset and sunrise.

kphoger

Once, when I was in high school in Atwood, we got ten inches of snow.  The town has wide streets and not a lot of resources, so the streets would typically go unplowed unless the accumulation was a decent amount.  This time, though, they decided to plow a single lane down the side streets rather than the typical two lanes.  So we each got to shovel our driveway and three-eighths of the street!

(As an aside...  Living without the side streets being plowed means our driveways are never blocked by the shove-off from the snowplow.  Turning into your driveway at speed in order to barrel through–that isn't a thing here.)
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Where I am, it's mostly sunny and 16. Looking for a high around 20, then more snow through Wednesday night/
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

While I love the sunshine today and am looking forward to warmer temps, I'm afraid now the snow will begin to melt and re-freeze.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Melting/freezing is a problem in the Seattle area for sure.

For some reason, our heaviest snows occur just below freezing. Our snow tends to be very wet, and it really freezes hard. I encountered dry snow for the first time in MSP a few years ago, and it was really weird for me as I'm used to snowflakes being huge, building up very quickly, and then freezing hard.

The Seattle region got a bunch of snow this past weekend (anywhere from a couple inches to about a foot) and Sunday was tough for some, as it got above freezing during the day Saturday in many places but then dropped below freezing again that evening. So the next morning, all the slush and compact snow was super slick. It also snowed overnight again (substantially in some places) and so it was layered snow > ice > snow which made it even more interesting.

Thankfully, it was over a long weekend and with many coronavirus restrictions in place, people really weren't going anywhere so crashes were minimal.

snowc

Quote from: US 89 on February 16, 2021, 12:08:47 AM
Currently 45 with some light rain showers in ATL. Actually had some thunderstorms earlier today, including at least one lightning strike about a mile from me. But that was nothing compared to South Georgia and the Florida panhandle, which saw several severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings this afternoon. In particular, Damascus GA was hit by a significant tornado - we'll probably get a rating on that tomorrow or the day after.

Tonight, the arctic air will finally make a push into Georgia although it won't be anywhere near as cold as most of the rest of the country is experiencing. That said, the 3/4 inch of rain earlier today combined with a low of 25 will be perfect for black ice formation tonight. Many schools and institutions around the Atlanta metro will be on a 2 hour delay tomorrow as a result.

The high tomorrow is going to be 34 - over 20 degrees below average - with wind chills around 10. At least we'll see the sun for the first time in a week.
Louder than normal lightning had me sleeping on the couch. It was 40 degrees (really!) and it was an inverted air mass. Its now sunny and windy.

STLmapboy

7 inches of snow on the ground here in STL. We've now had the ground blanketed for 10 days. Some more snow on Wednesday.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.