News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 14, 2022, 08:41:57 PM
Around 35 degrees and it's SNOWING right now here in Tulsa.

We had some pretty good-size flakes coming down in Norman but nothing stuck. We ended up postponing gym day because we were worried about the roads icing up overnight.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ted$8roadFan

22 and sunny. We finally have our first hard frost.

kphoger

We got a little bit of a dusting overnight–the first snow that actually stuck this year.

Currently 23°F and sunny.  Here's the view from the office:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

kirbykart

WNY- The snow has arrived, it's cold but bearable outside. I'm curious to see when the warm week in February will happen.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

therocket

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kirbykart

Quote from: therocket on November 16, 2022, 11:39:34 AM
66 F˚ and sunny

Well that's coastal SoCal for you. The cold is arriving everywhere else, and you have perfect weather.

Billy F 1988

Gonna get brisk this weekend in Missoula! It's 26 under patchy clouds. The Air Stagnation Advisory was lifted a while ago. It was put up on Monday, I think, due to stale air toward the surface and that can make the air much more colder standing still than moving around. Of course, cold is cold, no matter which way it is. So, just to give you an idea of how cold it will get, Weather Underground has Thursday through Saturday between single digits to low teens. Wind chills will be around single digits to low single digits below zero, that is unless we pick up more wind, then they start tumbling to the twenties blow zero average. So it won't be as cold tonight since it'll be 19. Starting Thursday night, it'll drop to 4, then 2 on Friday night, 8 Saturday night and 15 Sunday night. Now, contrast it to timeanddate.com's projected lows for those four days: Thursday - 5, Friday - -3, Saturday - -2 and Sunday - 2. Car batteries HATE this cold, so I'd have to keep the juices flowing in the Sonata so I don't have to resort to jumping it like I did last weekend.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

kirbykart

Hey webny99, how much snow do you have out your way?

webny99

Quote from: kirbykart on November 17, 2022, 08:25:34 AM
Hey webny99, how much snow do you have out your way?

Just another dusting this morning for the third time this week. So far, it's not been enough to cause travel disruptions or even really stick to the roads. That isn't unusual, since we usually only get the leftovers from the Lake Erie machine.

I heard the Thruway is going to be closing later today... how is it south of Buffalo?

kirbykart

^Actually not that bad, and the snow will head northwards by Saturday.

Roadgeekteen

Bruce

51 and sunny, but the air quality is worsening due to the inversion.

jakeroot

Pretty much the same temperature everyday here in Okinawa: low 70s in the morning, high 70s in the afternoon. Today is fantastically sunny so far (it's a little before 0800 Friday).

One thing I've noticed is the humidity requires some trickery in the car. You can't just hop in and blast the AC. With the humidity and differential in temperature, having the glass too cold results in the windows fogging up very quickly. So I usually keep the temperature in the car a little warmer than I normally would, and keep the recycle on. This combo seems to prevent fogging.

Those of you in really warm and humid places may already be used to this, but it's new to me, being from a place where it's normally humid only when it's below 70 ish. Though the opposite occurs in the winter (too warm in the car compared to outside) and you get condensation on the inside, which is arguably more annoying actually.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on November 17, 2022, 05:57:18 PM
Pretty much the same temperature everyday here in Okinawa: low 70s in the morning, high 70s in the afternoon. Today is fantastically sunny so far (it's a little before 0800 Friday).

One thing I've noticed is the humidity requires some trickery in the car. You can't just hop in and blast the AC. With the humidity and differential in temperature, having the glass too cold results in the windows fogging up very quickly. So I usually keep the temperature in the car a little warmer than I normally would, and keep the recycle on. This combo seems to prevent fogging.

Those of you in really warm and humid places may already be used to this, but it's new to me, being from a place where it's normally humid only when it's below 70 ish. Though the opposite occurs in the winter (too warm in the car compared to outside) and you get condensation on the inside, which is arguably more annoying actually.

Heh, I had to get used to that when I moved to Tallahassee. For that to happen, the dewpoint outside has to be greater than the temperature inside the car, which typically means a dewpoint in the mid-70s. That was unheard of in Salt Lake City where I grew up, and fairly rare in Atlanta where I lived for a while, but it's a pretty regular occurrence down here in the summer.

Agreed that the winter scenario of condensation on the inside (higher dewpoint inside than temperature outside) is more annoying. With fog on the inside, you can't use your wipers to help get rid of it.

Scott5114

Oklahomans use the defroster for fog on the inside. (My dad, in fact, calls it the "defogger" instead of the "defroster"). Usually takes care of it within a minute or so. I also keep a microfiber towel around for if I'm too impatient to wait and want to wipe away the fog around my field of vision until the defroster kicks in.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

chrismarion100

Partly cloudy and 21 F. (Eau Claire WI)

Billy F 1988

The cold snap in Missoula is beginning already. 13 and mainly clear. Gonna get very cold overnight with wind chills in single digits below zero. It appears to linger on to Sunday night with Weather Underground showing a low of 11. Then it'll get back to some semblance of normalcy with yet another wintery system coming down the pike in the next few days heading into next Tuesday and Wednesday with evening snow showers in play.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 17, 2022, 08:22:54 PM
Oklahomans use the defroster for fog on the inside. (My dad, in fact, calls it the "defogger" instead of the "defroster"). Usually takes care of it within a minute or so. I also keep a microfiber towel around for if I'm too impatient to wait and want to wipe away the fog around my field of vision until the defroster kicks in.

I think we all do that, but I've been in plenty of situations where its effectiveness was...limited at best.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on November 17, 2022, 07:19:42 PM
Heh, I had to get used to that when I moved to Tallahassee. For that to happen, the dewpoint outside has to be greater than the temperature inside the car, which typically means a dewpoint in the mid-70s. That was unheard of in Salt Lake City where I grew up, and fairly rare in Atlanta where I lived for a while, but it's a pretty regular occurrence down here in the summer.

Thanks, I was thinking there was a more technical explanation in there somewhere. I park under cover, so it's not usually hot in my car. But the dew point here is around 72-75, which definitely explains the exterior fog.

kphoger

My car's mode door got stuck on the defrost/feet setting a couple of weeks ago, so I don't even have a choice until I get that fixed...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Currently -2C (28F), but feels like -9C (16F) with the wind chill. Current wind speed is 31 km/h (19 mph) with gusts of 41 km/h (25 mph). I'm lucky I could work in the site trailer most of the day!

elsmere241

My wife insists that the defroster should be set on "cold" - even in the winter.  Does that make any sense to any of you?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.