News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 06, 2014, 03:30:51 PMIt would have to be a nitpik type of thing if anything.  Anything between Exits 1 & 6 are what would be found elsewhere on the interstate portion of the Turnpike.
Is there a difference in overpass clearances between the southern section (Exits 1-6) vs. Exit 6 and up?  I'm assuming that the southern section is one section that hasn't yet been significantly redesigned/altered since it was built.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 06, 2014, 05:00:42 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 06, 2014, 03:30:51 PMIt would have to be a nitpik type of thing if anything.  Anything between Exits 1 & 6 are what would be found elsewhere on the interstate portion of the Turnpike.
Is there a difference in overpass clearances between the southern section (Exits 1-6) vs. Exit 6 and up?  I'm assuming that the southern section is one section that hasn't yet been significantly redesigned/altered since it was built.

I don't believe any of them are posted for low overheight clearance (less than 16 foot overheight clearance).   

Come to think of it, I do not recall ever having seen a structure over the New Jersey Turnpike that was posted for clearance issues.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 07, 2014, 02:42:05 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 06, 2014, 05:00:42 PM

I don't believe any of them are posted for low overheight clearance (less than 16 foot overheight clearance).   

Come to think of it, I do not recall ever having seen a structure over the New Jersey Turnpike that was posted for clearance issues.

Correct.  I *think* the lowest overpass is under the Pulaski Skyway, which I think has 14' of clearance at its lowest point, but I'm not sure of the exact number.  Otherwise, most of the overpasses provide at least that much of clearance.  The newer ones provide a bit more clearance but not by much. 

In NJ, at least for NJDOT highways, they only sign overpasses that provide 14' 5" of clearance or less.  There's a rare sign here and there above that height.  Very few overpasses will provide 16' or greater of clearance.  Even most new overpasses only provide 15' 6" or so.

NE2

Parts of signed I-695 and I-895 in Maryland were never approved by FHWA. Just fuck it and post the signs.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Post-Gazette.com: Two former Pa. Turnpike officials plead guilty to conflict of interest

QuoteAlthough charges were announced last year with great fanfare in an alleged "pay to play"  scandal involving secret gifts of cash, travel and entertainment, and campaign contributions, the case against numerous former Pennsylvania Turnpike officials ended quietly Thursday with plea deals and no jail time.

QuoteThe last two defendants in the high-profile corruption case pleaded guilty Thursday to one count each of felony conflict of interest; other defendants in the case had previously entered guilty pleas, entered a diversion program that will allow charges to be dropped or had charges dismissed.

QuoteFormer Pennsylvania Turnpike CEO Joseph Brimmeier and former COO George Hatalowich were sentenced Thursday to 60 months of probation, a fine of $2,500 and 250 hours of community service. The state is not requesting restitution in either case.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

I-276 BGS replacement update (no photos, just observations as of Nov. 22):

Apparently, somebody at PTC must've read either this thread or elsewhere on this site about the absence of I-476 South info. on the main BGS' for Exit 333 (Norristown) along I-276 eastbound. 

The new BGS' along I-276 eastbound now read as:

EXIT 333
NORRISTOWN
476 SOUTH
Chester

Such wording eliminates the redundant Norristown listings that the previous (and current BGS along I-276 westbound) contained.  IMHO, a supplemental BGS listing either Plymouth Road or Plymouth Meeting (or Mtg.) should still be provided.  Note: the older gantry with the button-copy BGS' at the eastbound exit (333) gore is still standing; the new red pipe gantry with the new BGS' is erected in front of the old gantry.

As with the other replacement BGS' along I-276; all the fonts (except for those on the route shields which are in Series C) are in Clearview and the destination listings are oversized.  Such makes for some unnecessarily large & wide signs (especially for the westbound EXIT 333 NORRISTOWN Norristown) BGS'.

At the Fort Washington (Exit 339/PA 309) plaza, the new gantry and BGS for I-276 West are now erected.  Interestingly, the old button-copy BGS for I-276 East has been transferred onto the new gantry.  Judging by the additional bare vertical members on the gantry, the replacement BGS will be wider than the old BGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

IIRC, one of the selling points of Clearview was that you wouldn't need to enlarge sign legends to maintain legibility.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on November 24, 2014, 12:53:33 PM
IIRC, one of the selling points of Clearview was that you wouldn't need to enlarge sign legends to maintain legibility.
Agreed, but that hasn't stopped many agencies (not just PTC and/or PennDOT) from doing such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 24, 2014, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 24, 2014, 12:53:33 PM
Agreed, but that hasn't stopped many agencies (not just PTC and/or PennDOT) from doing such.

You would think that oversized Clearview lettering was part of their sales appeal for as often as it is done. Highway Gothic is just as legible in oversized characters. See any new Georgia installs and its the same concept.

MASTERNC

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 24, 2014, 12:23:07 PM

Apparently, somebody at PTC must've read either this thread or elsewhere on this site about the absence of I-476 South info. on the main BGS' for Exit 333 (Norristown) along I-276 eastbound. 

EXIT 333
NORRISTOWN
476 SOUTH
Chester

That's been there for a few months IIRC

PHLBOS

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 24, 2014, 08:35:44 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 24, 2014, 12:23:07 PM

EXIT 333
NORRISTOWN
476 SOUTH
Chester

That's been there for a few months IIRC
Where were you this past Oct. 29 (see Reply #887) when I commented regarding the older Exit 333/Norristown signs?  :sombrero:

All kidding aside, thanks for the info./update.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 05, 2014, 04:05:13 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on November 05, 2014, 01:39:09 PM
There are some photos here:
http://www.gribblenation.com/breezewood/midway.html
I think this came up on another thread not too long ago, and someone had pointed to this page.

I had seen those pictures before (hence my reference to upstairs being set up as a meeting room or breakroom). I was just curious if there were any others. I'm not optimistic of finding anything from back when it was still in use.

This is interesting because the only time I've heard of such bunks for truckers is at the nearby Gateway Travel Center or whatever it's called in Breezewood — basically a private rest area/truckstop. They have quite a thorough telling of their history in there, complete with photos, and their original building in the 1940s included upstairs bunks for weary travelers.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 05, 2014, 04:05:13 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on November 05, 2014, 01:39:09 PM
There are some photos here:
http://www.gribblenation.com/breezewood/midway.html
I think this came up on another thread not too long ago, and someone had pointed to this page.

I had seen those pictures before (hence my reference to upstairs being set up as a meeting room or breakroom). I was just curious if there were any others. I'm not optimistic of finding anything from back when it was still in use.

This is interesting because the only time I've heard of such bunks for truckers is at the nearby Gateway Travel Center or whatever it's called in Breezewood — basically a private rest area/truckstop. They have quite a thorough telling of their history in there, complete with photos, and their original building in the 1940s included upstairs bunks for weary travelers.

cpzilliacus

Philly.com: Chinese investors sign up to fund I-95-Pa. Turnpike link

QuoteChinese investors have begun signing up to spend $500,000 each to help pay for a long-awaited connection between the Pennsylvania Turnpike and I-95.

QuoteIn exchange, the investors hope to get permanent residency in the United States for themselves and their families.

QuoteAgents for the novel financing plan have been pitching the proposal in China since September, touting the project's financial stability and showcasing photos of Gov. Corbett and Turnpike Commission officials breaking ground for the construction in Bucks County.

Quote"Guaranteed by U.S. Government, Class A+ Repayment Credit!" proclaimed the Chinese-language website promoting the investment last month. "A key expressway-connecting hub project in U.S.A.!"

But will the project get done partially completed any sooner than 2017?

SignBridge

2017 is extremely optimistic. It's almost 2015 and I don't think they've broken ground yet for the 95/Pa. Tpk. interchange. At least not as of last July when I was there. At the speed they're going, a more realistic completion date might by say 2025?

And to think the entire original 118-mile New Jersey Turnpike was built in 2 years........ Yes, I know things were a lot simpler then but still, we could use some of that post World War II style sense-of-urgency now........

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on November 30, 2014, 07:14:20 PM
2017 is extremely optimistic. It's almost 2015 and I don't think they've broken ground yet for the 95/Pa. Tpk. interchange. At least not as of last July when I was there. At the speed they're going, a more realistic completion date might by say 2025?

And to think the entire original 118-mile New Jersey Turnpike was built in 2 years........ Yes, I know things were a lot simpler then but still, we could use some of that post World War II style sense-of-urgency now........

Heck, the flipping Brooklyn Bridge was constructed in only 13 years by hand
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SignBridge on November 30, 2014, 07:14:20 PM

Agreed that the PTC's pace is like slow molasses. 

Did drive by there in early November (2014), and some work was being done on the right side of I-276 approaching the site of the future I-95 interchange.

jeffandnicole

Here's pictures from the construction update page regarding what they've been doing.  http://www.paturnpikei95.com/construction/CurrentConstructionSectionD1E.htm

qguy

Yes, the first (Section D10/E) of the two phases that actually involve building the first part of the connection (the flyover ramps for what will be I-95 north-to-south and south-to-north) is under construction. The second (Section D20/F) of the two phases is scheduled to go to construction in spring of 2015.

This won't be the entire interchange, mind you, only the two ramps of I-95. But it is something. Finally one of the contracts for the interchange itself is under construction. Yip-yip-yahoo. Thank God for small miracles.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: qguy on December 01, 2014, 08:44:47 AM
Yes, the first (Section D10/E) of the two phases that actually involve building the first part of the connection (the flyover ramps for what will be I-95 north-to-south and south-to-north) is under construction. The second (Section D20/F) of the two phases is scheduled to go to construction in spring of 2015.

This won't be the entire interchange, mind you, only the two ramps of I-95. But it is something. Finally one of the contracts for the interchange itself is under construction. Yip-yip-yahoo. Thank God for small miracles.

Aside from the hemmoraghing of PTC cash to pay employees of SEPTA and the Port Authority of Allegheny County, is there any reason why this needs to take 2+ construction seasons? 

Maryland built several interchanges, plus mainline freeway on Md. 200 in one season.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2014, 08:09:29 AM
Here's pictures from the construction update page regarding what they've been doing.  http://www.paturnpikei95.com/construction/CurrentConstructionSectionD1E.htm

This is exactly what we (Laura, MTantillo and myself) saw in early November when we drove by there.

PHLBOS

Based on the graphic in the article that CP posted yesterday and in a FB posting containing another web-link (I saw it earlier but can't find it); the redesignation of I-95/295 north of the PA Turnpike and I-195 is slated to become I-395 rather than an extension of I-195. 

Such a designation would eliminate the need to change more mile markers & interchange numbers along I-195 as well as having a through-route running via a cloverleaf ramp (current I-295 South onto I-195 East).

Personally, I would've went with I-695 since the roadway in question is actually a beltway around Trenton and the fact that the original I-695 projects in both PA and NJ never came to fruition.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Quote from: qguy on December 01, 2014, 08:44:47 AM

So in about 7 years we should see the rest of the interchange built? By that time, I'm sure the NJ Turnpike will be widened all the way to the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 01, 2014, 11:22:17 AM
Based on the graphic in the article that CP posted yesterday and in a FB posting containing another web-link (I saw it earlier but can't find it); the redesignation of I-95/295 north of the PA Turnpike and I-195 is slated to become I-395 rather than an extension of I-195. 

Such a designation would eliminate the need to change more mile markers & interchange numbers along I-195 as well as having a through-route running via a cloverleaf ramp (current I-295 South onto I-195 East).

Personally, I would've went with I-695 since the roadway in question is actually a beltway around Trenton and the fact that the original I-695 projects in both PA and NJ never came to fruition.

What?! How many times is that designation going to change? I could've sworn I-195 was already pretty much the final answer.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

akotchi

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 01, 2014, 11:22:17 AM

I am glad to hear of this possible change.  I would also have used I-695, or I-895 (which also had an original project in both states, closer by), but at least something other than I-195 is the cleanest way to incorporate another designation into the system in this area.  Would eliminate the need for cardinal direction changes as well along the affected sections of present I-95 and I-295.  Limits the peripheral changes to milemarkers and exits in on "future-former" I-95 in Pa.  Much smarter use of precious construction dollars.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

NE2

I-195 is what AASHTO approved back in 2007. Doesn't mean they won't change it.

http://articles.philly.com/2014-08-14/business/52772901_1_toll-gantry-pennsylvania-turnpike-commission-new-jersey-turnpike
QuoteWhen Stage 1 is completed in 2018, I-95 will be rerouted onto the Pennsylvania Turnpike east of the connection and then onto the New Jersey Turnpike. The current I-95 north of the connection will be redesignated as I-395 or I-195, project manager Jeff Davis said.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.