User Content > Road Trips

ya boy pauly's goin ta' tha place

<< < (2/5) > >>

paulthemapguy:
My first trip to Yellowstone in 2009 used I-90 to Bozeman and then US191 south to West Yellowstone: the South Dakota version of your route.  A wildfire is burning right by US191 NW of Yellowstone--so it's a good thing we didn't take that route this time.

Our journey through eastern WA and OR on day 6 was the hottest day of my frickin life.  Eastern WA and OR, to many people's surprise, is a desert.  The temperature stayed above 100 degrees from Spokane all the way to The Dalles (the car thermometer topped out at 109F!).  Shout out to my car for keeping its cool all the way through lol.

A.J. Bertin:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 23, 2018, 09:34:16 AM ---Our journey through eastern WA and OR on day 6 was the hottest day of my frickin life.  Eastern WA and OR, to many people's surprise, is a desert.  The temperature stayed above 100 degrees from Spokane all the way to The Dalles (the car thermometer topped out at 109F!).  Shout out to my car for keeping its cool all the way through lol.

--- End quote ---

Wow!!

US 89:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 23, 2018, 09:34:16 AM ---Our journey through eastern WA and OR on day 6 was the hottest day of my frickin life.  Eastern WA and OR, to many people's surprise, is a desert.  The temperature stayed above 100 degrees from Spokane all the way to The Dalles (the car thermometer topped out at 109F!).  Shout out to my car for keeping its cool all the way through lol.

--- End quote ---

I dont doubt that it was hot, but I find 109 hard to believe. Car thermometers tend to run high in the summer: I once got a reading of 122F in Salt Lake City, where the all-time record is 107.

The other important thing to note is that when it gets that hot in the west, its typically a dry heat. 100 degrees in Chicago is going to feel a lot hotter than 100 in Spokane, simply because the humidity/dewpoint in Chicago is higher.

Brandon:

--- Quote from: US 89 on August 24, 2018, 05:11:46 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I dont doubt that it was hot, but I find 109 hard to believe. Car thermometers tend to run high in the summer: I once got a reading of 122F in Salt Lake City, where the all-time record is 107.

The other important thing to note is that when it gets that hot in the west, its typically a dry heat. 100 degrees in Chicago is going to feel a lot hotter than 100 in Spokane, simply because the humidity/dewpoint in Chicago is higher.

--- End quote ---

I know that it was warm on Saturday (8/11), crossing Montana for me.  I saw temperatures in the high 90s regularly in the car, and it even got up to 102 at one point on the plains.  And it did feel rather warm out when I went to the welcome center in Wibaux, and filled up in Miles City and Livingston, MT.

paulthemapguy:

--- Quote from: US 89 on August 24, 2018, 05:11:46 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You're right!  My car thermometer over-reports the temperature by about 3-5 degrees (more when it's hotter), so I think the actual temperature topped out around 104.  And yeah I know dry heat blah blah.  My phone reported temperatures peaking at 103.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version