News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I'm going to make everyone in this thread hate me, but...

Wordle 454 3/6

⬛🟨🟨⬛🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 16, 2022, 11:35:06 PM

Wordle 454 3/6

⬛🟨🟨⬛🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This bothered me a lot. Both seeing that you actually solved it and not solving it myself.

Wordle 454 X/6*

⬛⬛🟨🟨⬛
⬛🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬛🟩🟩

formulanone

Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2022, 01:31:49 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 16, 2022, 11:35:06 PM

Wordle 454 3/6

This bothered me a lot. Both seeing that you actually solved it and not solving it myself.

Wordle 454 X/6*

I got it in four yesterday (RADII was a really cheeky 2nd guess, but helped me get two letters further).

Also... https://statle.us/

hbelkins

When you have to flush four times to make a persistent floating nugget finally go down the toilet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2022, 08:49:49 PM
When you have to flush four times to make a persistent floating nugget finally go down the toilet.

:-D

My toilet is so powerful I have to run away after flushing to make sure I don't go down with it.

vdeane

The changed Smart Balance formula.  It's vastly inferior to the old one.  Despite the packaging, it cannot, in fact, be used for cooking (too much water), which is very unfortunate since it was the only thing I had that could spread over my non-stick pan.  It doesn't melt on toast, either.  What it does do is separate so easily that it had already begun doing so even before I opened the tub.  I ended up throwing it out, which is very unusual for me.  I'm not sure if I've ever thrown out food that wasn't spoiled or something before.  Now I'm stuck using a Land o Lakes butter + canola oil spread that doesn't spread over the bottom of the pan as easily (as the vapor point is lower, so it sizzles rather than melts), splatters all over the stove and counter a lot more, and contains milk (I'm lactose intolerant), but it's all I can think of to use, since everything else that isn't stick butter has a high water content, and my pan specifically said not to use Pam.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

I'll add a few road-related ones...

-When drivers turning left stay on the right side of the lane so traffic can't get past on the shoulder

-When drivers turning left stay on the left side of the lane so traffic can get past on the shoulder, but then other drivers refuse to do so, creating a long backup for no reason. (I'll always consider passing the person going straight if it's safe to do so)

-When drivers turning right refuse to pull up next to drivers going straight to complete a right turn on red, especially when the shoulder is specifically widened to do so. There have even been times when I went whizzing by a line of traffic supposedly going straight, only to later notice that one of them has their right blinker on. Whoops! Oh well... I guess their sub-zero situational awareness is not my problem. TBH, I probably would have considered passing them even if I did see their blinker on!  :-P

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on September 18, 2022, 09:32:15 PM
-When drivers turning left stay on the left side of the lane so traffic can get past on the shoulder, but then other drivers refuse to do so, creating a long backup for no reason. (I'll always consider passing the person going straight if it's safe to do so)

You do realize that in most states, using the shoulder to pass is illegal, right? In Oklahoma, for instance:

Quote(b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main traveled portion of the roadway.

Now, I'm no lawyer, so I don't know if I could credibly argue that the shoulder qualifies as part of the "main traveled portion of the roadway", but I'm not about to risk having an interaction with Officer Chad Fortyguns to save six seconds of travel time.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

It's SOP around here if/when the shoulder is wide enough to do so. Here's one example of where the shoulder has been specifically widened to allow passing of left turning vehicles. The same also applies to vehicles turning right, at locations such as this one where the right shoulder functions as a de-facto right turn lane minus the outside stripe. In both cases, I view using it as such as a courtesy to other drivers, so as not to hold them up unduly. When you get a line of a dozen or more vehicles, the chain effect of braking is annoying and disruptive, and that six second delay multiplies quickly.

I'm not sure about the legal definition either, and I'm sure it varies from state to state, but what I do know is that crossing a single line is much less egregious than crossing a double line, which clearly means "do not cross".

kirbykart

-When drivers turning left stay on the right side of the lane so traffic can't get past on the shoulder

-When drivers turning right refuse to pull up next to drivers going straight to complete a right turn on red, especially when the shoulder is specifically widened to do so. There have even been times when I went whizzing by a line of traffic supposedly going straight, only to later notice that one of them has their right blinker on. Whoops! Oh well... I guess their sub-zero situational awareness is not my problem. TBH, I probably would have considered passing them even if I did see their blinker on!  :-P
Here's one I've seen a couple of different times: When someone makes a left turn by going into the left lane a good hundred meters before the turn! Thankfully, I've only seen this on rural roads when someone is turning into a driveway, because this is extremely dangerous and illegal!!!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 18, 2022, 11:30:28 PM

You do realize that in most states, using the shoulder to pass is illegal, right? In Oklahoma, for instance:

Quote(b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main traveled portion of the roadway.

Now, I'm no lawyer, so I don't know if I could credibly argue that the shoulder qualifies as part of the "main traveled portion of the roadway", but I'm not about to risk having an interaction with Officer Chad Fortyguns to save six seconds of travel time.

It sounds illegal in New York as well:
NY Veh & Traf L § 1131 (2015)

Driving on shoulders and slopes.
Except for bicycles and those classes of vehicles required to travel on shoulders or slopes, no motor vehicle shall be driven over, across, along, or within any shoulder or slope of any state controlled-access highway except at a location specifically authorized and posted by the department of transportation. The foregoing limitation shall not prevent motor vehicles from using shoulders or slopes when directed by police officers or flagpersons, nor does it prevent motor vehicles from stopping, standing, or parking on shoulders or slopes where such stopping, standing, or parking is lawful.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

DenverBrian

Quote from: kirbykart on September 19, 2022, 09:59:27 AM

Here's one I've seen a couple of different times: When someone makes a left turn by going into the left lane a good hundred meters before the turn! Thankfully, I've only seen this on rural roads when someone is turning into a driveway, because this is extremely dangerous and illegal!!!
Speeding is extremely dangerous and illegal. And everyone does it. <shrugs>

If the left turner is on a rural road, with good sightlines, and no oncoming traffic anywhere to be seen...then, by all means, move into the oncoming traffic lane to make the left turn into the driveway and let cars behind get around.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 19, 2022, 11:48:08 AM

Except for bicycles and those classes of vehicles required to travel on shoulders or slopes, no motor vehicle shall be driven over, across, along, or within any shoulder or slope of any state controlled-access highway except at a location specifically authorized and posted by the department of transportation. The foregoing limitation shall not prevent motor vehicles from using shoulders or slopes when directed by police officers or flagpersons, nor does it prevent motor vehicles from stopping, standing, or parking on shoulders or slopes where such stopping, standing, or parking is lawful.

If someone's making a left turn, it's not controlled-access.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1 on September 19, 2022, 11:51:40 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 19, 2022, 11:48:08 AM

If someone's making a left turn, it's not controlled-access.

That is a good point. Looking into the matter further, I did find this, though (bolding mine):

NY Veh & Traf L § 1123 (2015)

When overtaking on the right is permitted.
(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

1. When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;

2. Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction;

3. Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.

(b) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway, except as permitted by section eleven hundred thirty-one of this article.

Which is similar to the Oklahoma law.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

^ Yes, upon looking at it more closely I would say that section 1131 only applies to interstates and other fully access-controlled freeways.

Also, "shall not be made by driving off the pavement", not mentioned in the Oklahoma law, is an important distinction. I'm talking about cases where the passing maneuver is completed on a paved shoulder (see the two links in my previous post).

Quote from: DenverBrian on September 19, 2022, 11:50:22 AM
Quote from: kirbykart on September 19, 2022, 09:59:27 AM
Speeding is extremely dangerous and illegal. And everyone does it. <shrugs>

If the left turner is on a rural road, with good sightlines, and no oncoming traffic anywhere to be seen...then, by all means, move into the oncoming traffic lane to make the left turn into the driveway and let cars behind get around.

I also don't have a problem with moving left to make a left turn if sightlines are good, especially if it's in a passing zone. I don't see it as a safety issue, and in fact, you could even argue it's a safety benefit: moving left in this manner makes clear to drivers behind you that you are going to be turning, which will prevent them from pulling out to pass.

jakeroot

The equivalent law here in Washington does not permit driving off the "roadway": to complete a pass.

Quote from: RCW 46.61.115
(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
(b) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

As defined elsewhere, the roadway does not include the shoulder.

Quote from: RCW 46.04.500
"Roadway" means that portion of a highway improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the sidewalk or shoulder even though such sidewalk or shoulder is used by persons riding bicycles. In the event a highway includes two or more separated roadways, the term "roadway" shall refer to any such roadway separately but shall not refer to all such roadways collectively.

I believe Texas legislatively permits passing on the shoulder.

1995hoo

I once used the shoulder for a short distance to access the left-turn lane near my parents' neighborhood near Fairfax City when I could see that if I didn't do so, I'd have to wait through another light cycle. Problem: The SUV in front of me caused me not to see the police car two vehicles up. He pulled me over for driving on the shoulder, although ultimately he let me off with a warning.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2022, 08:49:49 PMWhen you have to flush four times to make a persistent floating nugget finally go down the toilet.

If the stool is easy to pass and floats as a result of following dietary recommendations (100% fiber RDA every day, five servings from at least three different vegetables other than potatoes), I'd say this is a good problem to have.  It really takes a flushometer to clear bulky stools on a single flush, though every so often I work my toilet over with a plunger to keep flushing performance up to scratch.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DTComposer

When a pedestrian pushes the crosswalk button, but then crosses before the light changes, meaning vehicles sit through a 30-second crosswalk cycle waiting for no one.

elsmere241

How about when pedestrians completely ignore the signals?  Happens all the time on the arterial three blocks parallel from my street.

kphoger

You don't need to be a lawyer for that one.  Oklahoma's legal definition of "roadway" specifically excludes the shoulder–therefore the shoulder is most certainly not "part of the main traveled portion of the roadway".

Quote from: OKLAHOMA STATUTES
Title 47 – Motor Vehicles

§4 7-1-158 – Roadway and shoulder.
(a) Roadway. That portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the shoulder. In the event a highway includes two or more separate roadways the term "roadway" as used herein shall refer to any such roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: elsmere241 on September 19, 2022, 02:43:01 PM
How about when pedestrians completely ignore the signals?  Happens all the time on the arterial three blocks parallel from my street.

Depends on where. If you're in downtown Denver and you wait for the signal, you're immediately outed as a tourist. It's not that hard to see if traffic is coming or not.

formulanone

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 19, 2022, 03:04:39 PM

Depends on where. If you're in downtown Denver and you wait for the signal, you're immediately outed as a tourist. It's not that hard to see if traffic is coming or not.

I wait to see how the locals are doing it. Of course, that also depends on how many other tourists are around.

Usually I just cross if nobody's coming (or quite distant). When the kids were little, I tried to set an example. Now that they're older, I look to see if we can all cross at once even if it's a DONT WALK situation. Kind of bugs me that my wife's gut reaction is to wait a few moments even when there's zero vehicles around.

jakeroot

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 19, 2022, 03:04:39 PM
If you're in downtown Denver and you wait for the signal, you're immediately outed as a tourist.

That's true for every city. Locals know where to look for cars, how long the lights last, etc. Tourists don't, so they're more likely to wait.

Bruce

Quote from: DTComposer on September 19, 2022, 02:41:39 PM
When a pedestrian pushes the crosswalk button, but then crosses before the light changes, meaning vehicles sit through a 30-second crosswalk cycle waiting for no one.

It's often safer to go when you can see a clear break in traffic rather than wait for the signal, which may include conflicting driver movements (such as a left turn). I'd rather take my chances with a known quantity.

Case in point: I've been almost run over and killed by blind left turns when I have the crosswalk signal. If I had chosen to cross against the signal in a gap in traffic, I would have been much safer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.