Macy’s Planning to Go Forward With Store Closures

Started by kevinb1994, November 18, 2021, 02:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on February 28, 2024, 06:27:37 AM
By 20 years ago, the parent company of Macy's had acquired most of the local and regional department store chains (Richs in Atlanta, Lazarus in Midwest, and many other chains all over the country), converted them all to Macy's stores, destroyed their identities and in the process, probably lost much of their customer base and loyalties.  And it was predictable even then what was going to happen.  Compared to Richs and Lazarus (the 2 regional chains that I was familiar with), Macy's just sucked.  Small wonder malls are slowly dying.  The mismanaged anchor stores started the process.  Does anybody remember Sears?

Macy's could have bought themselves some customer loyalty by retaining the old regional names like Kroger does with their grocery stores. The Bon Marche of Seattle was one of the chains that died with the Macy's merger and the new chain has completely pulled out of its home city, with only mall stores scattered around the suburbs left.

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on February 28, 2024, 02:35:18 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 28, 2024, 12:21:07 PM
By 20 years ago, the parent company of Macy's had acquired most of the local and regional department store chains (Richs in Atlanta, Lazarus in Midwest, and many other chains all over the country), converted them all to Macy's stores, destroyed their identities and in the process, probably lost much of their customer base and loyalties.  And it was predictable even then what was going to happen.  Compared to Richs and Lazarus (the 2 regional chains that I was familiar with), Macy's just sucked.  Small wonder malls are slowly dying.  The mismanaged anchor stores started the process.  Does anybody remember Sears?
In Michigan we had a chain called Hudson's. Their flagship store was at 1206 Woodward Avenue in Detroit that closed down in the early 80's. The building sat vacant for about 15 years before they demolished it, then the site sat vacant for about 20 years before they built something on it but anyway Marshall Field's is what ate that store up, then 4 years later Macy's replaced Marshall Field's.

To add to that, Hudson's merged with Dayton's in 1968-69, and the combined company was Dayton-Hudson.  Dayton-Hudson would buy Marshall Field's from BATUS in 1990, and then combined all it's non-Target and non-Mervyn's stores under one banner in 2001, that being Marshall Field's.
And up until that merger Hudson's was the nation's largest independently owned department store chain. Dayton's was mostly in Minnesota and Hudson's mostly in Michigan. I believe that Dayton-Hudson bought Marshall Field's about a decade before renaming every store to Marshall Field's.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on February 28, 2024, 02:36:40 PM
In Michigan we had a chain called Hudson's. Their flagship store was at 1206 Woodward Avenue in Detroit that closed down in the early 80's. The building sat vacant for about 15 years before they demolished it, then the site sat vacant for about 20 years before they built something on it but anyway Marshall Field's is what ate that store up, then 4 years later Macy's replaced Marshall Field's.
Dayton (also parent of Target) bought Hudson's and became Dayton-Hudson. They they bought Marshall Field's, and the whole thing was bought by Macy. (I say bought, some might be mergers, like the "merger" between Chrysler and Daimler. We know how much of a "merger" that was.)

//sniped while typing//
Yeah that was in the late 60's so Hudson's was still around for at least another 30 years. Marshall Field's was bought by Dayton-Hudson around 1990. I believe it was the May Company that sold everything to Macy's which was called Federated Department Stores at the time of the merger or being bought out by them whatever one it was.

And yeah I still call it Chrysler and only Chrysler lol.

Flint1979

Quote from: Bruce on February 28, 2024, 03:14:10 PM

Macy's could have bought themselves some customer loyalty by retaining the old regional names like Kroger does with their grocery stores. The Bon Marche of Seattle was one of the chains that died with the Macy's merger and the new chain has completely pulled out of its home city, with only mall stores scattered around the suburbs left.
I like how Kroger does that. I'm in a region where the Kroger name is the name of the store but I like that they just leave the stores alone that they buy. Actually in my area Kroger closed all their stores in the early 80's and they all became Kessel Food Market's owned by a local guy named Al Kessel. Al Kessel then sold some stores to Save-A-Lot, some stores to Kroger and some stores closed. They didn't leave the name Kessel's though they renamed it back to Kroger, for years a lot of people in Saginaw and Flint called it Kessel's even after Kroger bought it back.

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on February 28, 2024, 03:14:10 PM

Yes.  Dear Macy's, If you didn't WANT the Bon, why the heck did you buy it?

And the ones in the suburbs are seriously neglected.  I went to buy dressy pair of shoes about a year ago, and the entire stock of shoes was just dumped on tables in no order at all - all sizes, styles, even mens' and womens' all mixed together.  And no clerk in sight.  Other departments looked similarly bad.

Too bad about the Union Square San Francisco location, that was a stop my mom ofted had my tag along to.  Hope it doesn't stay vacant.

DenverBrian

This all presupposes that had the department stores stayed regional, they somehow would have thrived. The entire concept of the department store is a failing concept; doesn't matter who the owner is or whether it's a national chain or a regional chain.

mgk920

Quote from: GaryV on February 28, 2024, 02:36:40 PM
Dayton (also parent of Target) bought Hudson's and became Dayton-Hudson. They they bought Marshall Field's, and the whole thing was bought by Macy. (I say bought, some might be mergers, like the "merger" between Chrysler and Daimler. We know how much of a "merger" that was.)

//sniped while typing//

We'll see how that frequently name-changed company's somewhat threadbare store here in the unincorporated suburbs around Appleton, WI fares WRT these plans.  My sense is not really all that well, but that is for the future to tell.

ike

vdeane

Just read today that they plan to keep both stores around Albany.  I'm surprised - I would have thought they would close one of them, given that they're within a couple miles of each other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: DenverBrian on February 28, 2024, 06:30:46 PM
This all presupposes that had the department stores stayed regional, they somehow would have thrived. The entire concept of the department store is a failing concept; doesn't matter who the owner is or whether it's a national chain or a regional chain.

I dunno.  I do most of my shopping in a department store that's doing pretty well.  I like to see what I'm buying.  Are there flaws in the sewing in clothes?  Do they really fit?  If the thing needs to be assembled, are the instructions comprehensible?  Just now the department store is called Target.

Rothman

Makes me wonder under what circumstances they'd shut down the flagship in NYC.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

Rothman

Now I wonder if big downtown stores can be converted to housing in a way that is economically feasible.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on February 29, 2024, 07:06:27 AM
Now I wonder if big downtown stores can be converted to housing in a way that is economically feasible.

Not as easily.  These big stores have large, broad floors with minimal natural sunlight getting to the interior of them.  You'd probably see them, or parts of them converted to office space first, as was done to the upper 5 floors of the Marshall Field's building in Chicago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Who really actually still shops a Macy’s?

Rothman

Quote from: Brandon on February 29, 2024, 08:05:53 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 29, 2024, 07:06:27 AM

Not as easily.  These big stores have large, broad floors with minimal natural sunlight getting to the interior of them.  You'd probably see them, or parts of them converted to office space first, as was done to the upper 5 floors of the Marshall Field's building in Chicago.
And office space demand isn't the strongest right now.

elsmere241

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 29, 2024, 08:07:57 AM
Good one given that Amazon, Walmart and Target have taken over as the most shopped places in the country.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on February 29, 2024, 10:33:08 AM
Good one given that Amazon, Walmart and Target have taken over as the most shopped places in the country.

None can compete with Am’son though for convenience.

Pink Jazz

Somewhat related, but I noticed with IZOD products currently Amazon is selling the latest Spring/Summer 2024 collection at full MSRP, while JCPenney, Kohl's, and Belk are selling them for more reasonable prices. I would not pay full MSRP for clothing.

Brandon

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 29, 2024, 10:55:31 AM
Somewhat related, but I noticed with IZOD products currently Amazon is selling the latest Spring/Summer 2024 collection at full MSRP, while JCPenney, Kohl's, and Belk are selling them for more reasonable prices. I would not pay full MSRP for clothing.

I wouldn't buy any clothing through Amazon anyway.  You cannot see and touch the fabric to determine if it's to your liking.  It also makes fitting a lot more difficult.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DenverBrian

Quote from: Brandon on February 29, 2024, 11:00:18 AM

I wouldn't buy any clothing through Amazon anyway.  You cannot see and touch the fabric to determine if it's to your liking.  It also makes fitting a lot more difficult.
But returns are pretty easy - often at a Kohls. <shrugs>

Brandon

Quote from: DenverBrian on February 29, 2024, 03:01:33 PM

Why do that when I can go to a Kohl's and just choose off the rack?

JayhawkCO

I don't shop there, but I have bought some stuff online at macy’s.com. I think I got 4 sport coats, only two of which required any alterations, for $220 or so about 4-5 years ago.

GaryV

Quote from: Brandon on February 29, 2024, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on February 29, 2024, 03:01:33 PM

Why do that when I can go to a Kohl's and just choose off the rack?
Amazon has a lot of products that Kohl's doesn't carry.

kkt

I'd much rather not have to return it at all because I had two minutes looking at the actual article.
Repacking it, requesting a return authorization online, taping it on the box, taking the box to a UPS outlet (or whatever).

I also don't like making the market dominant sales outlets richer.  It's in everyone's interest to ensure continued competition.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.