News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Striping

Started by roadman65, May 15, 2019, 10:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was wondering what the denotation is of green pavement markings along a roadway like the one in this picture?

Has anyone seen this before or heard its definition?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Big John

^^I've seen green paint used for bike lanes, but not in that btokrn pattern.

corco

Scott5114

I would imagine that is a bike lane, and the stripes are to indicate that motor vehicles may be crossing it to reach the right-turn lane.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

So its in the MUTCD then?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on May 15, 2019, 11:34:39 PM
So its in the MUTCD then?
The green bike lanes aren't in the 2009 MUTCD. However, the FHWA has allowed the green bike lane marking as part of an interim approval issued in April 2011. The conditions of the interim approval specifically mentions the 'dotted fill' pattern depicted in the OP as an allowable option.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

The style I'm used to seeing in Vancouver do not have the gaps. The entirety of the cross-over point is painted green, with vehicle paths ultimately determining gap placement (though not intentionally; they are eventually repainted).

Multi-directional bike lanes also use elephants feet, which are utilised extensively in British Columbia, but I have not seen them in the US. They are the 1:1 dashed white markings alongside the wider path in photo 2. They can also accompany crosswalks (see the edge of the zebra markings in photo 1).

ET21

Green bike lanes have been popping up across Chicago, sometimes in tandem with a red painted lane for buses (mainly in downtown so far with that LoopLink)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jeffandnicole

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on May 16, 2019, 02:54:06 AM
The style I'm used to seeing in Vancouver do not have the gaps. The entirety of the cross-over point is painted green

Same around here.

Wichita example
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 16, 2019, 09:45:22 AM
See in Philly as well: https://goo.gl/maps/XJHAe8yf61oKwD7v7

Philly for years used solid blue for this purpose, which you can still see faded between the green in that example. Was this ever a standard thing or just how Philly decided to do it until it was standardized?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 17, 2019, 12:18:18 AM
Philly for years used solid blue for this purpose, which you can still see faded between the green in that example. Was this ever a standard thing or just how Philly decided to do it until it was standardized?

I've seen this in other areas as well. Somewhere in Vancouver at one point. Portland did an extensive study on blue bike lanes back in the day, but they're all green now. Apparently blue was the popular early choice because it didn't conflict with other colors, and was used to denote disabled parking (hopefully reminding drivers to be cautious around that color).

Bruce

The 2nd Avenue PBL in Downtown Seattle and the Yesler Way PBL both use the broken up chunks of green paint.

Broadway uses solid green with dashed lines.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2019, 12:52:32 AM

I've seen this in other areas as well. Somewhere in Vancouver at one point. Portland did an extensive study on blue bike lanes back in the day, but they're all green now. Apparently blue was the popular early choice because it didn't conflict with other colors, and was used to denote disabled parking (hopefully reminding drivers to be cautious around that color).

Apparently, according to FHWA's interim approval document, blue was not chosen for bike lanes specifically because the MUTCD reserved blue pavement markings for the disabled parking image (and lines adjacent to accessible parking spaces).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on May 17, 2019, 11:06:19 AM

Apparently, according to FHWA's interim approval document, blue was not chosen for bike lanes specifically because the MUTCD reserved blue pavement markings for the disabled parking image (and lines adjacent to accessible parking spaces).

You'd think they could get away with using blue, since most people probably wouldn't conflate blue bike lanes with some sort of disability indication.

I was a little confused by the Portland study, when they indicated that blue wasn't used anywhere else, despite the study clearly indicating that it was being used for disabled parking at the time (as it is now). But I don't recall hearing of any historic use of green pavement markings, that would have negated the option of using that color from the beginning. I personally prefer blue, as it's a more neutral (darker) color, in keeping with the natural environment. But I suppose that ruins the whole point.

Edit: on second thought, some shades of green for bike lanes do seem to fit in with the natural environment pretty well. On the other hand, blue isn't part of the natural environment, for the most part. So I wonder, if I brighter shade of blue was used, if it might be more effective?

kphoger

I could see a disabled person parking in a bike lane if it were painted blue.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2019, 02:51:15 PM
Quote from: roadfro on May 17, 2019, 11:06:19 AM

You'd think they could get away with using blue, since most people probably wouldn't conflate blue bike lanes with some sort of disability indication.

Depends on the area. I can think of several locations where entire handicapped spaces were painted blue. Granted, a motorist should be able to tell the difference based on site context, but we can't rely on that.

By design or by accident, green markings for a bike lane also coincide with the color of most MUTCD bike route signs, so you have that positive coordination.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2019, 03:27:46 PM
I could see a disabled person parking in a bike lane if it were painted blue.

Touche.

Quote from: DaBigE on May 17, 2019, 03:57:18 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2019, 02:51:15 PM

Depends on the area. I can think of several locations where entire handicapped spaces were painted blue. Granted, a motorist should be able to tell the difference based on site context, but we can't rely on that.

By design or by accident, green markings for a bike lane also coincide with the color of most MUTCD bike route signs, so you have that positive coordination.

I've long maintained that we make things too easy for stupid people, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. Nor should it, since common-sense engineering would stipulate making choices that are least likely to be misconstrued by a majority of the populace. If that means avoiding blue bike lanes, because they might be mistaken for a handicap parking spot, then I suppose that's a pretty good argument for using green.

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2019, 04:46:07 PM
I've long maintained that we make things too easy for stupid people, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

No argument there. I personally think society seems to be slowly getting dumber. That aside, ambulance-chasing lawyers don't help our cause either, as they'll exploit the tiniest of loophole.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

vdeane

The Madison Avenue road diet in Albany uses the intermittent green paint for bike lanes mainly at bus stops (since the bus crosses the bike lane), but also at the beginning of right turn lanes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ErmineNotyours

Thinking of this discussion, I came across this on the Seattle Waterfront north of the Aquarium, where peds are forced across the street due to construction.  The temporary walkway is painted blue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.