News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

The Redskins released Alex Smith. Fully expected, and fully understandable given his cap hit combined with his hampered mobility, but still a sad coda to his time in DC. What a comeback story, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CoreySamson

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 05, 2021, 02:08:17 PM
The Redskins released Alex Smith. Fully expected, and fully understandable given his cap hit combined with his hampered mobility, but still a sad coda to his time in DC. What a comeback story, though.
I would like to see the Texans pick him up since Watson won't be playing for them anymore.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Drew Brees has announced his retirement after 20 years in the NFL and 15 years with the Saints.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2021, 05:59:12 PM
Drew Brees has announced his retirement after 20 years in the NFL and 15 years with the Saints.
Poor Falcons and Panthers. Brees finally retires and now they have to deal with Brady.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 15, 2021, 06:18:14 PM
Poor Falcons and Panthers. Brees finally retires and now they have to deal with Brady.
Nah, I'm all for it. The less fun those teams have, the merrier.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 15, 2021, 06:18:14 PM

The NFC South has always been a competitive division even with Brees. Except for the past few years, it usually comes down to the wire just like the NFC East. It's also the only division where all four teams have made the championship recently.

ilpt4u

Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2021, 06:43:43 PM
The NFC South has always been a competitive division even with Brees. Except for the past few years, it usually comes down to the wire just like the NFC East. It's also the only division where all four teams have made the championship recently.
Not quite on that last point
NFC South:
Bucs: LV
Falcons: LI
Panthers: L
Saints: XLIV

NFC West:
49ers: LIV
Rams: LIII
Seahawks: XLIX
Cardinals: XLIII

Of course, the current NFC South and West are basically one division that split into two (the old NFC West: Rams, 49ers, Saints, Falcons, Panthers), with the Cardinals (old NFC East), Seahawks (old AFC West), and Bucs (old NFC Central) added

thspfc

Brees retiring is that best thing that will happen to the Saints this offseason. Now they can stop thinking about the inevativble playoff implosions spearheaded by Mr. Regular Season Stats, deal with their terrible salary cap situation, and stop supporting the sexual abuse of children (though the third one is not Brees' fault). Long story short, the Saints are my least favorite team in the league and I can't wait for them to stink again.

webny99

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 15, 2021, 06:56:00 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2021, 06:43:43 PM
It's also the only division where all four teams have made the championship recently.
Not quite on that last point
NFC South:
Bucs: LV
Falcons: LI
Panthers: L
Saints: XLIV

NFC West:
49ers: LIV
Rams: LIII
Seahawks: XLIX
Cardinals: XLIII

You've got me there, although I was actually referring to the NFC title game, not the Super Bowl (this changes the years for the Cards, Seahawks, and Saints).

I almost said "in the past six years" or "the most recently of any division", but I couldn't think of a non-clumsy way to word it.

thspfc

I would be shocked if the Bucs don't win the NFCS in 2021. There's just no one else who is relevant. Saints are in shambles. Falcons have no defense and a first year coach. Panthers have no quarterback.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2021, 07:56:49 PM
Brees retiring is that best thing that will happen to the Saints this offseason. Now they can stop thinking about the inevativble playoff implosions spearheaded by Mr. Regular Season Stats, deal with their terrible salary cap situation, and stop supporting the sexual abuse of children (though the third one is not Brees' fault). Long story short, the Saints are my least favorite team in the league and I can't wait for them to stink again.

I get that your problems with the Saints are probably deeper rooted than just Drew Brees, but how about an ounce of respect for the guy who just finished a HOF career...

(Personally, I don't have anything against the Saints. Their unbelievable back-to-back-to-back-to-back January implosions make me feel just a tad sorry for them, if anything, although it's hard not to think of Bountygate when bad stuff happens to them.)

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2021, 08:07:30 PM
I would be shocked if the Bucs don't win the NFCS in 2021. There's just no one else who is relevant. Saints are in shambles. Falcons have no defense and a first year coach. Panthers have no quarterback.

The Bucs are the favorite, but I would not be stunned if any of the other three teams won it. Their games within the division are always wild and unpredictable.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2021, 09:21:40 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2021, 07:56:49 PM

I get that your problems with the Saints are probably deeper rooted than just Drew Brees, but how about an ounce of respect for the guy who just finished a HOF career...

(Personally, I don't have anything against the Saints. Their unbelievable back-to-back-to-back-to-back January implosions make me feel just a tad sorry for them, if anything, although it's hard not to think of Bountygate when bad stuff happens to them.)

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2021, 08:07:30 PM

The Bucs are the favorite, but I would not be stunned if any of the other three teams won it. Their games within the division are always wild and unpredictable.
So, like, five blowouts and one close game? So wild and unpredictable.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 16, 2021, 07:44:02 AM
Their games within the division are always wild and unpredictable.

Score(s) aside, from a historical perspective they're unpredictable. The Saints whooping the Bucs 38-3 was one of the most surprising results of the year. The Falcons were underdogs against the Panthers on TNF Week 8 and won easily. Meanwhile, they were favored in Week 11 against the Saints with Brees out and lost handily.

Also, back in 2015, the Falcons ended the 14-0 Panthers perfect season. And in 2019 the 1-7 Falcons beat the 7-1 Saints as one of the biggest underdogs of the season, which ended up costing the Saints a bye.

kevinb1994

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2021, 07:59:31 AM
Quote from: thspfc on March 16, 2021, 07:44:02 AM
Their games within the division are always wild and unpredictable.

Score(s) aside, from a historical perspective they're unpredictable. The Saints whooping the Bucs 38-3 was one of the most surprising results of the year. The Falcons were underdogs against the Panthers on TNF Week 8 and won easily. Meanwhile, they were favored in Week 11 against the Saints with Brees out and lost handily.

Also, back in 2015, the Falcons ended the 14-0 Panthers perfect season. And in 2019 the 1-7 Falcons beat the 7-1 Saints as one of the biggest underdogs of the season, which ended up costing the Saints a bye.
I guess ARS was right about being Underdog ;)

thspfc

So many big free agent signings around the league this week. Patriots get a bunch of guys, including two meh WRs and two solid TEs. Bears sign Andy Dalton. Dolphins sign Will Fuller. Vikings sign Patrick Peterson. Bills sign Mitch Trubisky. Giants sign Kyle Rudolph. Buccaneers retain Lavonte David, Shaq Barrett, and Chris Godwin. At this point the Bucs don't have a single area of their roster that is not top 5 in the league except for maybe running back, but there have been rumors that they're going to get James White. Plus, they still have both their offensive and defensive coorinators. The only things stopping them from at least winning the NFC again are injuries or a lack of motivation after winning it all, but I don't worry about that with Brady at the helm.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 19, 2021, 11:42:13 AM
Bears sign Andy Dalton. ... Bills sign Mitch Trubisky. ...

Poor Bears fans.

I like this from the Bills angle - Matt Barkley is a great guy and was an OK backup, but Trubisky is a big upgrade.

thspfc

Huge news: Dolphins trade the 3rd overall pick to the Niners in exchange for the 12th overall pick and a boatload of other draft picks. Only logical explanation for this is that the Niners are going to draft a QB. With every passing team that finds a starting quarterback, it looks more and more possible that the Jets are going to hang onto Sam Darnold, which is a terrible move on the part of the Jets IMO.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 26, 2021, 01:21:05 PM
Huge news: Dolphins trade the 3rd overall pick to the Niners in exchange for the 12th overall pick and a boatload of other draft picks. Only logical explanation for this is that the Niners are going to draft a QB. With every passing team that finds a starting quarterback, it looks more and more possible that the Jets are going to hang onto Sam Darnold, which is a terrible move on the part of the Jets IMO.

Wow. Now for a full month of speculation: I have a prediction, but I'll keep it to myself. Looks like the Dolphins also traded with the Eagles to go from 12th back up to 6th (so maybe the Eagles' season finale tank was worth something after all...)

As for the Jets, I wouldn't be so opposed to sticking with Darnold if it wasn't such a great QB class. I think he could improve significantly under the new scheme and still be the guy - and yet, there are several other QB's in the draft that could be better than Darnold even if he is the guy. If they do stick with Darnold, it would make sense to trade down and get a haul for the number 2 pick.

Zeffy

I dunno what the Eagles are doing anymore. Frankly, I have pretty much zero faith in this season at this point.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alex

Quote from: Zeffy on March 26, 2021, 05:13:42 PM
I dunno what the Eagles are doing anymore. Frankly, I have pretty much zero faith in this season at this point.

And Howie Roseman appears to have no worries about his job security.
It appears to me that they have few aspirations for the 2021-22 season beyond rebuilding.

From the Bleeding Green National Eagles blog:

QuoteHowie Roseman definitely isn't on the hot seat

This much shouldn't come as a surprise. Despite playing a key part in the Eagles' downward trajectory since February 2018, Roseman was spared from any criticism in Jeffrey Lurie's postseason press conference. The Eagles' much-maligned general manager is in very good standing with the owner.

Today's trade down only reinforces that perception. It was a move that appears to be made with a long-term focus in mind. It's a decision that's going to take some time to fully evaluate. Lurie is trusting Roseman to lead the Eagles through a rebuild and get back on track.

Good news for those who still have faith in Philly's GM. Bad news for the many who would like to see him gone.

MinecraftNinja

Aaron Jones is back on the Packers.

webny99

Bills Stadium, formerly Ralph Wilson Stadium for much of this century and then New Era Field from 2016-19, is now Highmark Stadium.

I don't love it, but joked, "it's the high mark of the new era at the Ralph"  :-P

hobsini2

It's official. The NFL is going to a 17 game season.
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-approve-enhanced-schedule-with-17-regular-season-games-per-team
The extra game has all NFC teams on the road this year. 1st place in the division plays 1st place in the other division and so on.
AFC East vs NFC East
AFC North vs NFC West
AFC South vs NFC South
AFC West vs NFC North

So your matchups are:
Washington @ Buffalo
NY Giants @ Miami
Dallas @ New England
Philadelphia @ NY Jets
Seattle @ Pittsburgh
LA Rams @ Baltimore
Arizona @ Cleveland
San Francisco @ Cincinnati
New Orleans @ Tennessee
Tampa Bay @ Indianapolis
Carolina @ Houston
Atlanta @ Jacksonville
Green Bay @ Kansas City
Chicago @ Las Vegas
Minnesota @ LA Chargers
Detroit @ Denver
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

KCRoadFan

When will the ACTUAL SCHEDULE - as in, a list showing which team plays which other team, and on what date - be out? That's what I'm most interested in.

hobsini2

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 30, 2021, 05:54:44 PM
When will the ACTUAL SCHEDULE - as in, a list showing which team plays which other team, and on what date - be out? That's what I'm most interested in.
Usually comes out the 2nd or 3rd week of April before the Draft.
Since 2005, the earliest is April 6th and the latest (last year excluded) was April 23rd.
But there are reports that it could be as late as May 13th.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.