News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 06, 2023, 02:21:50 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 06, 2023, 02:16:07 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on January 06, 2023, 01:11:04 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 05, 2023, 10:44:18 PM
The NFL also proposes a neutral site for the AFC Championship if it's between two teams that could have earned the #1 seed. The specific matchups for which this could occur will be determined by this week's games: https://www.nfl.com/news/week-17-buffalo-cincinnati-game-will-not-be-resumed-neutral-afc-championship-gam

I think Cleveland Browns stadium would be an almost perfect location for the AFC Championship game as it looks to be about equally distant between Cincinnati and Buffalo....a perfect opportunity for fans of both teams to make that reasonable drive to Cleveland to see which team will advance to Super Bowl LVII.  And an NFL championship hasn't been played in Cleveland perhaps in my lifetime.
Considering Kansas City has to be a participant, I would think Indianapolis (if Indoors) or Nashville (if Outdoors) are probably better candidates.

I doubt any of the Outdoor Great Lakes stadiums will be considered (Green Bay, Chicago, Cleveland), due to weather being a bigger wild card along the lakeshores. Middle of the country. Nashville is about the only one that fits the billing. Cincy maybe for a Chiefs/Bills game, but that introduces other weird questions

Indoor stadiums, Indy or Minneapolis probably makes the most sense, since these scenarios all involve KC vs either Cincy or Buffalo. MSP only makes sense if the Vikings are already eliminated by Championship Sunday

Even with the potential participants all being outdoor teams, the NFL isn't going to pick an outdoor neutral site. My money is on Indy.
Also, it may consider Atlanta, Glendale (Arizona), Houston and New Orleans, since their own teams have already been eliminated.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 06, 2023, 04:53:45 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 06, 2023, 02:16:07 PM
A 12-4 Bengals/12-4 Bills AFC Title Game would be in Cincinnati, as both teams played the same number of games, and the tie-breaker goes to Cincy, all the way down to Strength of Victory in the tie-breakers

However, a 13-3 Bills / 12-4 Bengals AFC Championship would be in Buffalo, even despite the fact that the Bengals could have been 13-4 with the head-to-head win. But the NFL is not considering a neutral site in that scenario since both teams played the same number of games.

Overall, it seems that the feedback on this resolution has been the most negative from Bengals fans (at least from what I've seen). They're now guaranteed the AFC North title, but eliminated from contention for the #1 seed, and face an unusual scenario of not being guaranteed a home game if they meet the Ravens as a #3 seed / #6 seed matchup... not ideal, however, that overlooks the fact that they can eliminate that scenario by just beating the Ravens this week. If they do that, they could still have a rematch next week but the game would be in Cincinnati and the coin-flip scenario would not be in play.

(I also found this tweet by the Ravens rather (amusingly?) odd. I get that they would love a home playoff game and that gives them incentive to win this week, but why would you be rooting for a Chargers win here, which would guarantee you a lower seed? Wouldn't you rather get the #5 seed and an easier matchup against the Jaguars? That seems to me like a significantly better situation than relying on the coin toss to get home field and facing a road rematch with the Bengals if you lose the toss.)
People put way too much stock in home field. I haven't looked, maybe home field advantage is coming back a little after it was basically nonexistent in 2020 and 2021. But it's not worth the price of paying the Bengals rather than the Jaguars or Titans.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Henry on January 06, 2023, 08:37:58 PM
Also, it may consider Atlanta, Glendale (Arizona), Houston and New Orleans, since their own teams have already been eliminated.
No way Glendale would be used. That looks bad, playing a neutral AFC Titile Game at the same stadium as the SuperBowl

If you want fans from both teams to reasonably attend, the site needs to be, shall we say, between KC and Cincy/Buffalo

Indoors, MSP, Indy, and Detroit fit. Vikings could be in, and potentially hosting, the NFC Title Game. If Detroit squeaks in, it will be as the 7 seed, and they cannot host the NFC Title Game as the 7 seed. Buffalo already has played a "home"  game at Ford Field this year. I do think Indy makes the most sense of the Indoor possibilities

Indy is out: https://twitter.com/mickeyshuey/status/1611483991764357132
Detroit is out: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-move-up-field-turf-replacement

I think that would leave MSP for Indoors. ATL, NO, or Houston just seem like decent travel hurdles for the fan bases

Outdoors, Green Bay, Chicago, Nashville, Cincy (if KC/Buffalo), Cleveland, Pittsburgh are about the only realistic options. I think the NFL would immediately toss Green Bay, Chicago, and Cleveland just due to lake effects on weather this time of year. That leaves Nashville, possibly Cincy, and possibly Pittsburgh. Cincy could be weird to host a Bills game, and obviously is not neutral for KC/Cincy. Pittsburgh smells like a home away from home field for either Cincy or Buffalo. Nashville makes sense if Outdoors. And obviously, if the Title game involves 2 of KC, Buffalo, and Cincy, the Titans are already eliminated at that point

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 06, 2023, 10:30:11 PM

That event must have gotten scheduled very recently. The Colts weren't eliminated from playoff contention until a few weeks ago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tdindy88

There was basically a 0% chance the Colts would be in the AFC Championship Game, let alone host it, even at the beginning of the season. Even if there was, they would have found SOME way around it in that circumstance. Much better to have a guaranteed backup event.

hobsini2

There could also be a potential for a university to host the game, say Ohio State or Memphis. Or maybe a former NFL site in St Louis. The Dome is still there.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ilpt4u

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 07, 2023, 09:10:39 AM

That event must have gotten scheduled very recently. The Colts weren't eliminated from playoff contention until a few weeks ago.
There was a special carve-out, specifically, for the Colts playing a Home AFC Championship Game. From what I read, it specifies the Colts by name as the only exception

webny99

Detroit is also out as a potential neutral site. At this point, Nashville might be the favorite (then again, Titans could still make the playoffs, which would complicate things). But obviously there's only a small chance the neutral site happens to begin with, and a final decision can't be made until after the divisional round.

skluth

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 07, 2023, 11:09:02 AM
There could also be a potential for a university to host the game, say Ohio State or Memphis. Or maybe a former NFL site in St Louis. The Dome is still there.

The turf in St Louis was as bad as the old Philly artificial turf. I don't know if they ever upgraded it after the Rams left, maintained it, or if it even still exists. I'd also doubt the NFL will put any games there given the city's lawsuit against the Rams. Too much bad blood. I'd say Nashville, Atlanta, and Charlotte are the most likely neutral site possibilities. DC could also be in the mix but I can't see the NFL trying to work anything with Dan Snyder right now.

Big John

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 07, 2023, 11:09:02 AM
A couple decades ago, the NFL made only NFL stadiums eligible to host the superb owl, ensuring they have all the NFL facilities. I see this reasoning for hosting a playoff game at a neutral site.

gonealookin

Vegas is in the discussion for a neutral-site game, according to the Review-Journal:  https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/raiders-open-to-allegiant-stadium-hosting-afc-title-game-2707828/

QuoteAllegiant Stadium is among the venues the NFL has contacted as a potential host. The game is scheduled to be played Jan. 29.
With the Pro Bowl being played at Allegiant Stadium the following week, and league personnel in town to oversee that event, the necessary infrastructure would be in place to accommodate both events.

Also, with the weeklong Pro Bowl festivities commencing after the conference championship games, the fans in town for the AFC championship game could potentially stay in town to participate.

thspfc

This is all nonsense. If the league really cared about making this fair then Bills/Bengals would have been rescheduled, not cancelled.

Mapmikey

Quote from: thspfc on January 07, 2023, 03:54:57 PM
This is all nonsense. If the league really cared about making this fair then Bills/Bengals would have been rescheduled, not cancelled.

Would there have been a way to do this without giving all the other playoff teams a bye week?

thspfc

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 07, 2023, 04:12:28 PM
Quote from: thspfc on January 07, 2023, 03:54:57 PM

Would there have been a way to do this without giving all the other playoff teams a bye week?
No, but that comes back to the point of how much they really care. Neutral site playoff games feel like an empty gesture when the game could have been made up without too much complication.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: gonealookin on January 07, 2023, 03:38:12 PM
Vegas is in the discussion for a neutral-site game, according to the Review-Journal:  https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/raiders-open-to-allegiant-stadium-hosting-afc-title-game-2707828/

With the Pro Bowl being played at Allegiant Stadium the following week, and league personnel in town to oversee that event, the necessary infrastructure would be in place to accommodate both events.

Also, with the weeklong Pro Bowl festivities commencing after the conference championship games, the fans in town for the AFC championship game could potentially stay in town to participate.

This part seems to be a poorly opinionated opinion by the story's author. 

Detroit sold out the Bills-Browns game when they only had 2 days to sell tickets.  Numerous one-game playoffs occur with very little time to sell tickets, and most sell out as well. 

No one is going to book tickets for a neutral site game, then decide to make it a week-long trip to enjoy the pro-bowl festivities...whatever they are.  A few visitor websites claim "a week-long celebration of player skills", but offer no detail and no schedule of said celebration or activities. The game is expected to be so lowly attended that only the 100 and 200 levels will be open.  The entire upper bowl - the 300 and 400 levels, will be closed.  If you want tickets, you can still get original - not resale - tickets 3 rows off the field.

That said, Vegas does have a lot going for it - namely, a lot of flights, a lot of hotel rooms and a lot of dining options that can prepare for an event on short notice.  And there's no large-scale events going on that weekend.  Actually, one of Vegas's largest conferences, the CES Tech show, is currently happening this weekend.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on August 02, 2022, 02:03:39 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 01, 2022, 12:12:42 PM
I've also started my list of preseason forks and I've got some spicy ones in the AFC ...

Alright, I settled on 12 teams. ...
Here goes:

Steelers  ❌
Browns  ❌
Jets  ❌
Patriots  ❌
Texans  ❌
Titans  ❌

6/6 on my AFC preseason forks. Never a doubt!! 🔒

I was 6/7 on playoff teams overall. Jaguars were my only incorrect fork, but cashing in on the Titans when they had a 97% chance to win the division after Thanksgiving more than makes up for that.

Ted$8roadFan

Bills 35, Patriots 23. Bills will face Miami; Patriots season is over.

Can't really be surprised, given the emotional week for Buffalo especially, and they were the better team. The Pats showed some fight, but were otherwise predictably overmatched.

NWI_Irish96

Texans convert two 4th and longs, one for a TD, then get the 2 pt conv to beat the Colts and hand the #1 pick to the Bears.

Bears not in the market for a QB, so likely trading the pick to the team that wants Bryce Young the most.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Without those 2 kick return TDs the game looks a lot different. Oh well.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 08, 2023, 04:44:00 PM
Texans convert two 4th and longs, one for a TD, then get the 2 pt conv to beat the Colts and hand the #1 pick to the Bears.

Bears not in the market for a QB, so likely trading the pick to the team that wants Bryce Young the most.

Draft drama! A great spot for the Bears to be in, and very fitting that it was former Bears coach Lovie Smith that helped make it happen by leading his team to a third win to close the season.

jakeroot

From my cousin, a Patriots fan: "the Pats died so the Dolphins could live".

Hoping that Tua returns for the post-season. Only chance us Dolphins fans have.

epzik8

Quote from: jgb191 on January 06, 2023, 01:11:04 AM
I think Cleveland Browns stadium would be an almost perfect location for the AFC Championship game as it looks to be about equally distant between Cincinnati and Buffalo....a perfect opportunity for fans of both teams to make that reasonable drive to Cleveland to see which team will advance to Super Bowl LVII.  And an NFL championship hasn't been played in Cleveland perhaps in my lifetime.

Plus, it would be consolation for their team having a fat chance to make it to the AFCCG anytime soon.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Ketchup99

Quote from: Henry on January 06, 2023, 08:37:58 PM
No way Glendale would be used. That looks bad, playing a neutral AFC Titile Game at the same stadium as the SuperBowl

If you want fans from both teams to reasonably attend, the site needs to be, shall we say, between KC and Cincy/Buffalo

Indoors, MSP, Indy, and Detroit fit. Vikings could be in, and potentially hosting, the NFC Title Game. If Detroit squeaks in, it will be as the 7 seed, and they cannot host the NFC Title Game as the 7 seed. Buffalo already has played a "home"  game at Ford Field this year. I do think Indy makes the most sense of the Indoor possibilities

Detroit is out: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-move-up-field-turf-replacement

I think that would leave MSP for Indoors. ATL, NO, or Houston just seem like decent travel hurdles for the fan bases

Outdoors, Green Bay, Chicago, Nashville, Cincy (if KC/Buffalo), Cleveland, Pittsburgh are about the only realistic options. I think the NFL would immediately toss Green Bay, Chicago, and Cleveland just due to lake effects on weather this time of year. That leaves Nashville, possibly Cincy, and possibly Pittsburgh. Cincy could be weird to host a Bills game, and obviously is not neutral for KC/Cincy. Pittsburgh smells like a home away from home field for either Cincy or Buffalo. Nashville makes sense if Outdoors. And obviously, if the Title game involves 2 of KC, Buffalo, and Cincy, the Titans are already eliminated at that point

As a Steelers fan, I can promise you that for Cincy, our city would be nothing like home away from home. The Cincinnati Bengals will never, ever be at home here. If we have our way the stadium would look like Arrowhead by the time it was said and done.

jmacswimmer

Quite the wacky finish in Indy to give the Bears the #1 pick (thanks, Lovie!!!) moments after they completed their tank. Personally I'm hopeful the Bears trade down for a ransom like NWI_Irish96 mentioned - and based on Ryan Poles's draft strategy in 2022, I could easily see that playing out.

Elsewhere, quite the interesting slate of wildcard matchups shaping up as the 4:25 games conclude. No coin flip necessary for Cincinnati/Baltimore, and the Seahawks stay alive with a game-winner in OT after doinking the try at the end of regulation. Curious how Detroit will play this evening now that they're officially eliminated - would they at least still have motivation to take their division rival down with them?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

thspfc

Just about the worst Cowboys performance I've ever seen. Starters should have been pulled to stop the bleeding with Philly up 16-0 at half. Dak's 14/37 for 128 yards is disgusting, and it's unnecessary that this game is going to be hanging over the players' heads entering the playoffs.

Philly didn't look too good either, but the wild card bye is usually a nice reset for teams that struggle down the stretch as compared to earlier in the season. The 2020 Chiefs, 2019 49ers, 2018 Patriots, 2018 Rams, 2017 Eagles, and 2015 Broncos come to mind.

Another impossible climb back to above .500 for Mike Tomlin's Steelers. He gets my vote for COTY. Every AFC North division series was a split, which is very AFC North.

As far as playoff teams go it doesn't get much worse than losing 5 straight and breaking the streak with a win against a slumping team on their 3rd string QB by a scoreline that could be a win/loss record in a 17 game season.

This Cowboys/Bucs wild card is a bit of a conflict of interest for me, with the Cowboys and Brady. I'm definitely rooting for the Cowboys, but no matter who wins, a lot of people will be proven right and a lot of people will be proven wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.