News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Updated FHWA Interstate Route Log As Of Dec. 31, 2015

Started by Alex, February 02, 2016, 11:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Just noticed today that the Route Log and Finder list was updated on January 27, 2016. There is a new URL as well at http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/interstate_highway_system/routefinder/index.cfm

I-41 is now included and I've noted mileage additions to I-69, I-73 and I-74. The I-69 suffixed routes now match the TxDOT Highway Designation Files, which reflected additions from this past fall.

Rothman

Thanks for the note.  Didn't see this, either.

(NY wins with 32 routes :D)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alex

Noted that NC tweaked the mileages of a few routes including I-26, I-77, I-277, I-440 and I-495

The mileage for California's I-210 decreased, likely reflecting the portion that is now CA 57 south to the Kellogg Interchange.

I-22 mileage for Mississippi is added now.

The Maine figures for I-95/295/495 are still pre-2004.

I-181 is still referenced for Tennessee.

The I-465 Indiana mileage still includes what is I-865.

I-55 figures now also reference the overlaps with I-64 in IL and MO.

Grzrd

Quote from: Alex on February 02, 2016, 12:47:24 PM
I-22 mileage for Mississippi is added now.

However, no mileage for I-269 in either Mississippi or Tennessee.

mvak36

The mileage for California's I-210 decreased, likely reflecting the portion that is now CA 57 south to the Kellogg Interchange.

I wonder if they will ever extend I-210 along CA-210. I've seen it suggested elsewhere, can't remember where though.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

andy3175

The overlap between I-95 and I-495 over the Capital Beltway is not acknowledged in the route log, as the I-495 MD/VA mileage shown in the route log only covers about half of the beltway (a little more than 30 miles), and the I-95 DC mileage of 0.11 mile is only shown for I-95 even though it is signed for both I-95 and I-495. For whatever it's worth.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Alex

I verified/updated every active route on the Interstate Guide with the 2015 figures today.

Adding to what Andy wrote:

The Baltimore beltway mileage for I-695 still omits the "MD 695" portion to the south.

The I-49 mileage for LA was updated to include the new section north of Shreveport.

I-90's total for WI is still off.

NE2

Quote from: Alex on February 02, 2016, 11:44:58 PM
The Baltimore beltway mileage for I-695 still omits the "MD 695" portion to the south.
Which is apparently correct...FHWA has never added this piece. I-895 is also missing the non-Interstate piece south of I-695.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

andy3175

The Route Log lists I-80 in California as 199 miles, but it's actually closer to 205 miles long. Perhaps the section in City/County of San Francisco remains omitted? But "San Francisco" itself remains listed in the log, and the portion of I-80 between the Bay Bridge and US 101 was recently upgraded substantially and improved.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

kurumi

I-181 is still referenced for Tennessee.

I-26 is listed at 31 miles in Tennessee, which gets you from the state line to just past US 321. Seems incorrect.

The I-181 length (8.4 miles) looks correct (before I-26 was extended), from I-81 to US 11W.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

I wonder if the piece of I-86 east of I-81 is included.  Binghamton is not listed in the cities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: GrzrdHowever, no mileage for I-269 in either Mississippi or Tennessee.

Not surprising.  Given how new the tiny section that opened is, TDOT and MDOT likely haven't updated their internal numbers yet.

Quote from: andy3175The overlap between I-95 and I-495 over the Capital Beltway is not acknowledged in the route log, as the I-495 MD/VA mileage shown in the route log only covers about half of the beltway (a little more than 30 miles), and the I-95 DC mileage of 0.11 mile is only shown for I-95 even though it is signed for both I-95 and I-495. For whatever it's worth.

FHWA doesn't officially consider the overlap to exist.  To them, the eastern half is only I-95, not both routes.  They've allowed VDOT and SHA to sign 495 for continuity purposes.

Alex

Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2016, 12:48:21 AM
I wonder if the piece of I-86 east of I-81 is included.  Binghamton is not listed in the cities.

FWIW, the figure for I-86 in NY was unchanged from the 2014 log.

Henry

Quote from: mvak36 on February 02, 2016, 02:09:53 PM

I wonder if they will ever extend I-210 along CA-210. I've seen it suggested elsewhere, can't remember where though.
I think the answer to that is the same as when they'll extend I-15 along CA 15, or change CA 905 to I-905: Probably not in our lifetimes, but eventually.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

odditude

Quote from: andy3175 on February 02, 2016, 11:56:46 PM
The Route Log lists I-80 in California as 199 miles, but it's actually closer to 205 miles long. Perhaps the section in City/County of San Francisco remains omitted? But "San Francisco" itself remains listed in the log, and the portion of I-80 between the Bay Bridge and US 101 was recently upgraded substantially and improved.
similarly, Philadelphia is listed for I-295; a route doesn't need to enter the city/county/state proper to serve the metro area.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 03, 2016, 12:18:57 PM
There is no Bangor in Maryland.

Speaking of Maryland, the distance for I-195 was shortened from 4.71 to 4.35.

TheStranger

The San Francisco Skyway west of 480 was removed from the official Interstate system 1968 IIRC (and I recall it was part of California trying to get more chargeable mileage for the Century Freeway/105)  Having said that, I would say 95% of the improvements have taken place from 5th Street eastward at most (along the old US 40/50 ramps that are the original west terminus of the Bay Bridge) along where the old 480 junction used to be; the section of freeway between 101 and 5th is pretty unchanged from its 1950s origins and I don't think has ever been widened or realigned.
Chris Sampang

kkt

As far as FHWA is concerned, I-80 ends at the west end of the Bay Bridge.  The early 1950s proposal was for a western extension of I-80 to the Central Freeway, then west along the Fell/Oak panhandle of Golden Gate Park, then ending at an interchange with the Park Presidio Freeway which would have replaced Park Presidio Boulevard.  That proposal is what California mileage is based on, although not the exit numbers.
This is a good starting point for the confusing history: http://www.cahighways.org/maps-sf-fwy.html

JCinSummerfield

I'm not sure what the definition of "serving major cities" is.  It lists I-275 as serving both Ann Arbor & Detroit.  Seems a bit of a stretch.

Also, it says Detroit is served by I-295.  Definite mistake there.

Monroe, MI served by I-74.  I think they meant I-75.

It lists Toledo, OH as served by I-80, but not I-90.

And if Ann Arbor & Detroit proper can be served by I-275, shouldn't I-80 & I-90, I-475 (OH) & I-280 be considered as serving Monroe, MI?

NE2

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on February 03, 2016, 01:17:31 PM
And if Ann Arbor & Detroit proper can be served by I-275, shouldn't I-80 & I-90, I-475 (OH) & I-280 be considered as serving Monroe, MI?
No.

The definition of an anal roadgeek: someone who doesn't think I-275 can serve Detroit unless I-80/90 serves Monroe.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheStranger

Quote from: kkt on February 03, 2016, 12:48:38 PM

As far as FHWA is concerned, I-80 ends at the west end of the Bay Bridge.  The early 1950s proposal was for a western extension of I-80 to the Central Freeway, then west along the Fell/Oak panhandle of Golden Gate Park, then ending at an interchange with the Park Presidio Freeway which would have replaced Park Presidio Boulevard.  That proposal is what California mileage is based on, although not the exit numbers.

Hm, Google Maps shows 203 miles from the 101/80 split at the Central Freeway east to the Nevada border - which is pretty close to the California mileage listed above, without having to include the unbuilt Western Freeway (or the existing Central Freeway segment that was I-80/US 101 from the late 1950s to 1968).
Chris Sampang

bob7374

They updated the mileage for I-73 and I-99 in the logs, but not on their list of Shortest Interstates in the 'Miscellaneous Interstate Facts' on the main page (listed as updated 1/28/16), which still lists I-73 as the shortest 2di with 12.27 miles and I-99 as the third at 55 miles. As the log states, I-73 is now 80.85 miles long. The top honor should go to I-97 at 17.62.

Also, the I-74 listing for NC, though revised, is still wrong. The total mileage for I-74 signed freeways is around 125, though they list it as 72.12. The route runs with I-73 from Exit 25 to Exit 80, or 55 miles, they only list a 16.26 mile concurrency, nor do they list its running with I-77 for about 5 miles.

vdeane

I can understand not including the overlap with I-77.  It ends at the state line and the overlap is essentially useless.  Does NC honestly believe that states other than themselves have any interest in building I-74?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Nature Boy

Apparently, Dillon is the only "major city" served by I-95 in South Carolina. Florence is larger and more of a regional hub in the Pee-Dee region so the choice of Dillon seem strange there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.