News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on March 03, 2020, 09:33:47 AM
Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2020, 08:03:52 AM
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Notes:
1. In the US, there seems to be a West Coast bias and an urban bias.
2. It's not that much of a problem in the US until it starts spreading. New locations aren't the same as spreading. But once it spreads...
3. The world seems to be getting about 2000 new cases per day. Compared to the world population, it's a somewhat small number.
4. Covfefe and COVID-19 are almost adjacent alphabetically. (However, Covia is the name of a company, and it's in between.)
5. I rather like the name "Mexican beer virus". However, I do find it unfair that their sales are going down just because of the epidemic.

I am concerned being as I do doordash in philly.

With the first case being in NY thats a stone throw from Philly.

5 Million people left Wuhan since December.

That means the chances of the virus being in the Philly metro is 70%.

Even though the virus is more deadly for older people & immune compromised. Getting the virus & having a chance of getting extremely sick or getting the virus & having it come back every year till the vaccine is established will be bad on some people's health.

The worse part about this is the 2 week period before feeling any symptoms.

Which means you can spread it to 100's of people or come into contact with people who have it.

iPhone

I wouldn't be worried about DoorDash deliveries.  Have you touched any snail-mail recently?  It could just as likely any mailperson that has handled your mail has the virus.

Have you been in a store on your own?  Anyone in that store could have had the virus.

Similarly, I wouldn't be worried about New York City. The entire universe is a stone's throw from the city with the amount of traffic that goes thru that city, then drives away, gets on a train to anywhere in the Northeast, or on a plane anywhere in the world.

02 Park Ave

I am surprised that Seattle hasn't been shut down yet.

What is Governor Inslee thinking?
C-o-H

hotdogPi

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 03, 2020, 10:45:31 AM

If Seattle is quarantined, that means that the rest of Seattle is much more likely to get the virus, even if stops the spread outside of Seattle.

Do we know if the people that died live within the same square mile?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Tonytone

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2020, 10:48:12 AM

If Seattle is quarantined, that means that the rest of Seattle is much more likely to get the virus, even if stops the spread outside of Seattle.

Do we know if the people that died live within the same square mile?
They were all from the nursing home.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

Quote from: kalvado on March 03, 2020, 10:21:15 AM
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Notes:
2. It's not that much of a problem in the US until it starts spreading. New locations aren't the same as spreading. But once it spreads...
3. The world seems to be getting about 2000 new cases per day. Compared to the world population, it's a somewhat small number.
4. Covfefe and COVID-19 are almost adjacent alphabetically. (However, Covia is the name of a company, and it's in between.)
5. I rather like the name "Mexican beer virus". However, I do find it unfair that their sales are going down just because of the epidemic.

Even though the virus is more deadly for older people & immune compromised. Getting the virus & having a chance of getting extremely sick or getting the virus & having it come back every year till the vaccine is established will be bad on some people's health.

Which means you can spread it to 100's of people or come into contact with people who have it.

iPhone
if 100s of people were that easily infected, everyone would be sick by now. Average number of transmissions seem to be about 3. Some are higher, many are lower. 3 is still a lot, though.
Oh so the spread isnt as fast as everyone is thinking then.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

How long would anyone last being cooped up in their houses for 2 weeks.  Ignore the work issue.  Think everything else that you would need on a daily basis.

Delivery doesn't get around it, because, remember, the entire city/region is quarantined.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 03, 2020, 10:43:57 AM

Notes:

iPhone

I wouldn't be worried about DoorDash deliveries.  Have you touched any snail-mail recently?  It could just as likely any mailperson that has handled your mail has the virus.

Have you been in a store on your own?  Anyone in that store could have had the virus.

Similarly, I wouldn't be worried about New York City. The entire universe is a stone's throw from the city with the amount of traffic that goes thru that city, then drives away, gets on a train to anywhere in the Northeast, or on a plane anywhere in the world.
Havent touched any mail yet. I saw a article about a USPS delivery person having it.

The only issue I have with the door dash is the fact that I touch doors & etc. but ive been washing my hands as always & using hand sanitizer. Even though that gets cancelled out by germs in the car & etc.

I have been in walmart & well we all know how walmart is.....

I see New york is taking precautionary measures so they arent slacking. Im sure a city with 8 million knows how to handle it self.

iPhone

US71

There are unconfirmed reports of several people infected in Arkansas. 

On a semi-related note,  the St. Francis County Sheriff's Office has offered free testing of meth for Corona virus ;)
https://www.foxnews.com/us/arkansas-police-offer-to-test-meth-for-coronavirus-better-safe-than-sorry
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

02 Park Ave

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 03, 2020, 10:58:42 AM

How long would anyone last being cooped up in their houses for 2 weeks.  Ignore the work issue.  Think everything else that you would need on a daily basis.

Delivery doesn't get around it, because, remember, the entire city/region is quarantined.

Be prepared!  Think of the reports and pictures out of the Peoples Republic of China over the past six weeks.
C-o-H

Max Rockatansky

Maybe he's thinking thy trying to quarantine a city the size of Seattle for a virus that is actually not really wide spread is insane?...or at least a waste of resources?  The amount of manpower that would be required to enforce shutting down a City the size of Seattle is massive and expensive. 

LM117

Quote from: US71 on March 03, 2020, 11:32:46 AM

On a semi-related note,  the St. Francis County Sheriff's Office has offered free testing of meth for Corona virus ;)
https://www.foxnews.com/us/arkansas-police-offer-to-test-meth-for-coronavirus-better-safe-than-sorry

I bet there's a dumbass that falls for it.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LM117 on March 03, 2020, 11:38:54 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 03, 2020, 11:32:46 AM

Well come on now, what good is meth if it's laced with Coronavirus?

I bet there's a dumbass that falls for it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 03, 2020, 11:34:57 AM

Be prepared!  Think of the reports and pictures out of the Peoples Republic of China over the past six weeks.

Suddenly I'm reminded of a certain Lion feeding a group of Hyenas a bag of good in song form.

Bruce

The virus has been circulating here for weeks and so far all but one of the fatal cases have been linked to that single nursing home. All fatalities from older people with underlying health conditions.

A full shutdown would be unnecessary at this point and do more harm than good. People are panic buying like crazy and having an announced shutdown would quickly turn into mass hysteria that could overwhelm emergency services and supply chains. Not to mention the effects on the national economy, since the Seattle area is home to some of the largest companies in the world.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 03, 2020, 11:34:57 AM

This would mean you won't want to leave your house NOW.  By the time the virus is in the area, it's too late.

That would also mean you would have to have been prepared already.  Going out tonight to gather supplies for a month-long slumber party would put you at risk with anyone else that is getting prepared, and unknowingly already has the virus.

Bruce

Most stores are out of the "essentials" (toilet paper, canned foods, instant meals, rice, beans) because of panic buying. It really shows how ill prepared most Americans are for any kind of disaster or situation...makes me really fear what would happen in the event of a major earthquake (when supplies would be extremely limited because of impassible routes).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on March 03, 2020, 03:10:19 PM
Most stores are out of the "essentials" (toilet paper, canned foods, instant meals, rice, beans) because of panic buying. It really shows how ill prepared most Americans are for any kind of disaster or situation...makes me really fear what would happen in the event of a major earthquake (when supplies would be extremely limited because of impassible routes).

Never mind the fact that metro Seattle is way more susceptible to a major earthquake than a large scale pandemic.  That said, most people in Seattle have been through enough earthquakes that it is a known quantity and people have become harden to the danger of a large scale event.  The fact that this whole virus talk is in the news all the time and not something people live with everyday gets a lot folks spun up...in this case needlessly.

Bruce

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 03, 2020, 03:33:45 PM

Never mind the fact that metro Seattle is way more susceptible to a major earthquake than a large scale pandemic.  That said, most people in Seattle have been through enough earthquakes that it is a known quantity and people have become harden to the danger of a large scale event.  The fact that this whole virus talk is in the news all the time and not something people live with everyday gets a lot folks spun up...in this case needlessly.

The number of transplants since the 2001 Nisqually quake (which wasn't felt by all of the metro area) makes me think that most don't have a living memory of it. Plus, the biggest earthquake risks are two different kinds: the Cascadia subduction zone's megathrust event, which would be a multi-state disaster; or the rupture of a shallow local fault like the Seattle Fault, which would quickly liquefy quite a few areas and bring strong shaking right under downtown Seattle.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on March 03, 2020, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 03, 2020, 03:33:45 PM

The number of transplants since the 2001 Nisqually quake (which wasn't felt by all of the metro area) makes me think that most don't have a living memory of it. Plus, the biggest earthquake risks are two different kinds: the Cascadia subduction zone's megathrust event, which would be a multi-state disaster; or the rupture of a shallow local fault like the Seattle Fault, which would quickly liquefy quite a few areas and bring strong shaking right under downtown Seattle.

To an extent it's kind of the same way down here in Central California.  All the older locals really didn't even have a reaction to the Ridgecrest Earthquake and foreshock.  Pretty much everyone who was from the eastern states started to panic when the foreshock hit us.  The ratio of people who are new around here to those who are endemic was more equally proportional than I thought. 

bing101

bing101

Here we go again more press conferences over the fallout.

bing101

Another one for New York and their COVID-19 fallout.

bing101

Bruce

Can you add a blurb of context before dropping these videos in the middle of the thread? It's unhelpful to link to long pressers without location and dates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.