News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your first road atlas

Started by bugo, September 02, 2014, 12:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Mine was a 1983 Rand McNally. 

DandyDan

I had a 1982 Rand McNally for Christmas.  At least I think it was the 1982 edition.  I do remember getting one for Christmas when I was still in elementary school.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

1995hoo

Couldn't tell you what year, but it would have been a AAA atlas because my parents always got AAA maps and the like.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dgolub

I had the five-borough New York City and Nassau County atlases from Hagstrom going back to when I was a little kid.

US71

1950-something I found abandoned. Not sure I still have it, tough :(

UPDATE
1963 Rand McNally/State Farm Road Atlas.

I also have a 1967 with the same cover
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alex

1984 Gousha North America Road Atlas. Received as a gift from my Uncle that Christmas (the atlas catapulted my interest in roads)!. I lost the original (stupidly gave it away), but found the same copy on Ebay a few years ago and bought it again.

US 41

1990 Rand McNally (made before I was born). I think it would be cool to have a road atlas from when my dad was born and one from when my grandpa was born. There would be so many changes.

I often wonder how different the American Highway network will be when I have grandchildren. Maybe there will be a new highway system that is even better than the interstates (doubt it, but a possibility).
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

AsphaltPlanet

1988 Mapart Toronto and Area Road Atlas.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

US 41

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on September 02, 2014, 12:00:37 PM

Are RandMcNally's common in Canada or does Canada have its own road atlas?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

mapman1071

1966 Hagstrom NYC 5 boro Pocket Atlas
1975 Rand McNally

Dr Frankenstein

I think mine was a 1995 or 1996 MapArt Québec atlas. I'd follow on the map while my parents were driving as a way to entertain myself, using the signs to situate myself (or occasionally asking an annoyed parent).

Pete from Boston

It was a Hagstrom.  Dense with detail, imperfect, personally and thoughtfully conceived.  I miss those maps. 

sammi

My first encounter with a map (and this probably doesn't count) was in the supplementary pages of a Baguio and area (+63 74) phone directory from 1998. Another thing in that phone book that interested me was the presence of ZIP code listings, e.g.
    Agoo     2504
    Aringay  2503
    Bacnotan 2515
    Bagulin  2512
    Balaoan  2517
    Bangar   2519
    Bauang   2501

and it used to frustrate me that they were in alphabetical order, and not ZIP code order. :)

I used to have an EZ Map Philippines road atlas and an EZ Map Metro Baguio street atlas, but I seem to have misplaced them. X-( I'd probably go look for them when I go back.

As for Canadian ones, I've used a MapArt Toronto and Area and a MapArt Golden Horseshoe (which is a superset of the Toronto and Area one), but they're not mine and I have yet to get one at all. (Anyone recommend any? :P)

CNGL-Leudimin

My first road atlas was a 2002 Campsa (now Repsol) Spain & Portugal one.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

oscar

1973 Rand McNally, which I still have (I later acquired some earlier editions).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

Late 90s/early 2000s Hagstrom New York atlas... I believe the second to last edition.  I still have one for nostalgia purposes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

1977 AAA.

My parents had a late 1950s Rand McNally which I looked at a lot growing up and is now with me.

Roadrunner75

I wish I could find whatever happened to the contents of my parent's old map drawer, to answer this question.  Probably a mid-to-late 70s Rand McNally and by the time I was really reading it a lot of interstate gaps shown on it were rapidly being completed.  I remember looking at either this or some other maps in the drawer where the Commodore Barry Bridge (US 322 NJ/PA) wasn't even shown as complete.  Also remember some really old Esso state maps, among other gems.  One of my favorites were Franklin Maps of Gloucester County showing multiple proposed alignments of NJ 55 through the northern part of the County (single dashed as if it were to be an undivided route), along with a proposed US 322 freeway.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: US 41 on September 02, 2014, 12:21:34 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on September 02, 2014, 12:00:37 PM

Are RandMcNally's common in Canada or does Canada have its own road atlas?

We have RandMcNally maps, but they aren't very good.  Mapart, now RouteMaster, makes much, much better maps of Canada than RandMcNally
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

The High Plains Traveler

I harangued my parents for Thomas Bros. street guides of the L.A. area. They bought me one or two. Easy Christmas present, I guess, when other kids were getting a GI Joe.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

xcellntbuy

A 1970 Rand McNally.  It cost the outrageous price of $1.95.  Mom thought it was way too much for a then-10-year old.

kurumi

1985 Rand McNally. Back in those days I would scan every page of each year's atlas, looking for new 3-digit interstates. We don't get surprised like that anymore.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

rschen7754

Probably a 1996 Rand McNally. The map that made the most impact on me was an AAA map of the LA freeway system, though.

renegade

1970 Rand McNally, branded by State Farm on the front and rear covers.  My Dad gave it to me when I was eleven years old in the hope that I would, for the love of God, stop picking up free maps by the handful at every gas station.  When the free maps ended, I started buying the Rand every year with my allowance when it came out.  Unfortunately, that first atlas is long gone, but I have nearly every one I have purchased since the late '80s, plus I have found a couple from the mid-'60s that I keep put away.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

bandit957

Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2014, 10:56:09 AM
1984 Gousha North America Road Atlas. Received as a gift from my Uncle that Christmas (the atlas catapulted my interest in roads)!. I lost the original (stupidly gave it away), but found the same copy on Ebay a few years ago and bought it again.

The exact same copy??? How did you manage to find the exact same copy?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.