News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Advertisements that look like/are designed like highway signs?

Started by Sanctimoniously, June 03, 2012, 11:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanctimoniously

I did a quick search to find topics similar to this, but I didn't find anything. How many times have you guys seen advertising companies attempt MUTCD compliance (maybe more like roadsign similarity) in a bid to make a good advertisement?

Here's an example of some of the billboards for Washington, NC's historical district along US 17. There are two of them posted north and south of Exit 180, the other one has the text "Beaten Path" for US 17 and "Off Beaten Path" for the historical district. I don't think they look too bad, except for the shield.

Any other examples you guys can come up with?
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

vtk

Hey, that's pretty darn good. Though I think the FHWA might frown on this kind of thing. The MUTCD says road signs shouldn't look like advertisements, and that becomes difficult when advertisements start to look like road signs.  Anyway, that's the closest I've ever seen; most ads that try to look like road signs compromise too much of the road sign look & feel in favor of brand-dictated design choices, or just trying to be more eye-catching.

Also, I think we did have a similar thread already, let's see if I can find it...
"Highway" Signs
Not quite the same thing, so I vote to let this new thread stand.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

CentralCAroadgeek

Here's one along TX-358 (S. Padre Island Drive) in Corpus Christi.

It even uses the correct Highway Gothic fonts!

PurdueBill

Interesting--that looks very similar to the one in Akron that I posted in the other thread.  I wonder if the two places are related somehow, or if one stole the idea from the other, or if it's just a coincidence.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rawmustard

Alps

Globe Liquors has several in the MA-RI area. Here's a typical example:

Clearly, they recycle old highway signs to make their own. This one appears to have come from I-495 SB, which would be reasonably close to US 44 in MA.

Central Avenue

Quote from: US71 on June 04, 2012, 10:58:16 PM

West Memphis, AR

It's hard to tell at this size, but...does that say "District" instead of "Interstate"?
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

US71

Quote from: Central Avenue on June 06, 2012, 04:55:26 AM

It's hard to tell at this size, but...does that say "District" instead of "Interstate"?

Yes.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mtantillo

Many states prohibit anything that looks like an official traffic control device from being visible to drivers...though how they would enforce this if the sign is outside the right-of-way, i'm not sure. 

One of the ones that always gets my attention is when a car dealership or other business rents a portable VMS to display information about an upcoming sale.  I always try to read it thinking it is an advisory about a construction zone!

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DaBigE

West Memphis, AR

I'm no lawyer, but wouldn't this count as a trademark infringement on AASHTO's interstate shield? Sure, technically it says 'District', but other than that, it looks like a dead-ringer. And if you're running for State Senate, wouldn't you want to use the AR highway shield? Or, is it foreshadowing that Keith has bigger aspirations?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Alex

hbelkins

Spotted several on US 17 northbound approaching Washington, NC and the US 264 interchange. I did get photos but who knows when I'll be able to put them online, considering that I took several hundred pics on my trip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

empirestate

Here's one in my neighborhood: http://goo.gl/maps/0gSqo

It's best viewed from the 1 train, but also can be seen from the street.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: DaBigE on July 08, 2012, 06:23:44 PM

West Memphis, AR

And since he's a poltician, no one associated from his party will complain about it, and when someone from the other party complains about it, they'll say it's all political. 

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: hbelkins on July 30, 2012, 12:19:51 AM
Spotted several on US 17 northbound approaching Washington, NC and the US 264 interchange. I did get photos but who knows when I'll be able to put them online, considering that I took several hundred pics on my trip.

There was one featured in my OP, albeit with a not-so-good photo. There are also some southbound.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

^ Interesting pics, as I thought there were rules against billboards looking like "official" road signs near public road ROW. I'm recalling some signs for the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas that were similarly designed, but they had to be taken down (and they were higher up and further off the road than these examples). I could just be remembering incorrectly though.

Clever signs though!
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.