News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Beckley, WV: East Beckley Bypass/Z-Way

Started by Bitmapped, November 21, 2012, 12:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

1995hoo

What is the significance (if any) of the zed in that name?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 21, 2012, 12:43:02 PM
What is the significance (if any) of the zed in that name?

Not sure exactly where the Z-Way name comes from.  I think it was originally supposed to refer to the planned road upgrades crisscrossing the Beckley area.

hbelkins

I guess you have to be a local to understand some of the places they are talking about in that story, but why would there need to be a new road built from Airport Road to the bypass? Shouldn't traffic be able to use I-64 to the bypass exit?

Once the bypass is completed all the way up to Corridor L, the US 19 four-lane, I can see traffic using I-64 east to the bypass north to "shunpike" the toll ramp from the Turnpike to Corridor L.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

This road, and a similar connection between I-68 and I-79 in Morgantown would cost millions to take a few minutes off current exitting interstate routes. 

The only needed construction in the Beckley area, and marginally so, is a connection from the Glade Springs area to either 64 or 77. 

Bitmapped

Quote from: SP Cook on November 23, 2012, 02:27:36 PM
This road, and a similar connection between I-68 and I-79 in Morgantown would cost millions to take a few minutes off current exitting interstate routes. 

The only needed construction in the Beckley area, and marginally so, is a connection from the Glade Springs area to either 64 or 77. 

Beckley and Morgantown both have severe traffic problems.  It's just that the East Beckley Bypass and the long-dead I-268 proposal don't really address the problem.  The primary issue is traffic starting/ending in the corridor, not through traffic.  WVDOH needs to widen the existing roads (US 19 in Beckley, WV 705 and others in Morgantown) not create bypasses around them.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on November 22, 2012, 11:04:34 PM
I guess you have to be a local to understand some of the places they are talking about in that story, but why would there need to be a new road built from Airport Road to the bypass? Shouldn't traffic be able to use I-64 to the bypass exit?

Once the bypass is completed all the way up to Corridor L, the US 19 four-lane, I can see traffic using I-64 east to the bypass north to "shunpike" the toll ramp from the Turnpike to Corridor L.

It's unlikely that the East Beckley Bypass will ever extend all the way to Corridor L as proposed.  There's not really a need for it.  The 5-lane part of US 19/Robert C. Byrd Drive works pretty well as-is.  WVDOH should have just widened Eisenhower Drive to 5 lanes rather than built a bypass.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 23, 2012, 10:34:31 PM
It's unlikely that the East Beckley Bypass will ever extend all the way to Corridor L as proposed.  There's not really a need for it.  The 5-lane part of US 19/Robert C. Byrd Drive works pretty well as-is.  WVDOH should have just widened Eisenhower Drive to 5 lanes rather than built a bypass.

The northern part of US 19 is pretty built-up and I'd imagine is a traffic mess during busy times.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on November 23, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on November 23, 2012, 10:34:31 PM

The northern part of US 19 is pretty built-up and I'd imagine is a traffic mess during busy times.

My experience has been traffic generally flows reasonably well on the 5-lane part.  The traffic lights for the shopping plazas near the Robert C. Byrd Drive/Eisenhower Drive intersection cause some minor delays but not enough to warrant a bypass.  North of that 1/2-mile stretch, there really isn't anything until you get up to Corridor L.  Crossroads Mall just has a single traffic light.

Quote at the end of the WHOLE post... -S

Alex

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 23, 2012, 10:32:51 PM

Beckley and Morgantown both have severe traffic problems.  It's just that the East Beckley Bypass and the long-dead I-268 proposal don't really address the problem.  The primary issue is traffic starting/ending in the corridor, not through traffic.  WVDOH needs to widen the existing roads (US 19 in Beckley, WV 705 and others in Morgantown) not create bypasses around them.

What is the long-dead I-268 proposal?

hbelkins

A northern bypass of Morgantown, running from I-68 somewhere near the hill crest before you start down to Cheat Lake to I-79 somewhere south of the state line -- IIRC.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on November 24, 2012, 01:50:09 PM
A northern bypass of Morgantown, running from I-68 somewhere near the hill crest before you start down to Cheat Lake to I-79 somewhere south of the state line -- IIRC.

I-268 would have basically followed the West Run valley.  It would have left I-68 near the current Exit 7 and hit I-79 by the WV Welcome Center.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.