News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: robbones on December 31, 2014, 10:16:54 AM
I was on GSV on my phone and was trying to figure out if US 412B near Huntsville is just 4 characters crammed onto a 3dus or if that is a 4dus sign. My phone is being retarded and won't clarify the picture

Likely a 3d sign with narrower numbers.

Or maybe just crammed in there
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

codyg1985

The former is what I have seen on US 278 in Arkansas.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

bjrush

Quote from: US71 on December 31, 2014, 11:44:19 AM
Quote from: robbones on December 31, 2014, 10:16:54 AM
I was on GSV on my phone and was trying to figure out if US 412B near Huntsville is just 4 characters crammed onto a 3dus or if that is a 4dus sign. My phone is being retarded and won't clarify the picture

Likely a 3d sign with narrower numbers.

Or maybe just crammed in there

Never seen a 4 digit shield in Ar
Woo Pig Sooie

bugo

Here's a US 278B sign with 4 characters in a shield:

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on March 05, 2015, 10:09:55 PM
didn't realize they were building a southern bypass of Paragould. You can see some construction in the southeast quadrant on the Goog's aerials.
(above quote from Moving I-69 Out of NWLA (Responding to NE2) thread)

Coincidentally, in an announcement that should brighten NE2's day, AHTD has posted a March 5 Information Release heralding the choice of a SPUI for the AR 358 interchange on the bypass (although actual construction of it may be a long way off):

The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) has identified the preferred alternative for the future Highway 412 Bypass (Paragould Bypass) Interchange at State Highway 358 .... the Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) on the eastern alternative has been identified as the best alternative for a connection at State Highway 358 .... Three alternatives were analyzed for this interchange — a West Diamond Interchange, an East Diamond Interchange, and an East SPUI .... Right of way acquisition is expected to begin this summer, and construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2016. Even though right of way is being acquired to accommodate the interchange, actual construction of the SPUI will not be part of the upcoming project. Only the initial two lanes of the ultimate four-lane bypass are being constructed at this time. The interchange will be constructed when the additional two lanes are added in the future.

NE2

SPUIs are overrated.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on March 06, 2015, 01:51:50 PM
SPUIs are overrated.

Be the first one in Arkansas, I think.

Bobby5280

A SPUI could do some good in Lawton, OK at the Gore Blvd exit on I-44. Gore Blvd. has 3 traffic lights in short succession along that interchange. A SPUI would cut it to only two and ease what is perhaps the worst traffic clusterf**k in that entire city.

bugo

Quote from: Grzrd on March 06, 2015, 01:47:01 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 05, 2015, 10:09:55 PM
didn't realize they were building a southern bypass of Paragould. You can see some construction in the southeast quadrant on the Goog's aerials.
(above quote from Moving I-69 Out of NWLA (Responding to NE2) thread)

Coincidentally, in an announcement that should brighten NE2's day, AHTD has posted a March 5 Information Release heralding the choice of a SPUI for the AR 358 interchange on the bypass (although actual construction of it may be a long way off):

The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) has identified the preferred alternative for the future Highway 412 Bypass (Paragould Bypass) Interchange at State Highway 358 .... the Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) on the eastern alternative has been identified as the best alternative for a connection at State Highway 358 .... Three alternatives were analyzed for this interchange — a West Diamond Interchange, an East Diamond Interchange, and an East SPUI .... Right of way acquisition is expected to begin this summer, and construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2016. Even though right of way is being acquired to accommodate the interchange, actual construction of the SPUI will not be part of the upcoming project. Only the initial two lanes of the ultimate four-lane bypass are being constructed at this time. The interchange will be constructed when the additional two lanes are added in the future.

I never would thought this was being built as a freeway. The bypass, unfortunately, ends at US 412 at 90 degree angles. Why it doesn't seamlessly tie into existing US 412 is beyond me. There is precedent: the US 412 bypass at Mountain Home is a left turn westbound onto the bypass.

When did the east section open? What number does the road have?

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

I wonder why it isn't AR 512?

US71

Quote from: bugo on March 07, 2015, 08:56:04 AM

I-530 around Pine Bluff was US 65 Spur. 512 would be a throwaway number which, IMO would make no sense.

NE2

Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2015, 09:51:44 AM
I-530 around Pine Bluff was US 65 Spur.
And 4S was the Camden bypass before 1976 (when 4 and US 79 were moved onto it). The policy of temporary spur routes on bypasses goes far back.

512 would be a throwaway number which, IMO would make no sense.
It would sort of fit with 549 (which should have been 449, but whoever chose the number may have been confused with 540).

bugo

Quote from: bugo on March 07, 2015, 08:56:04 AM

I-530 around Pine Bluff was US 65 Spur. 512 would be a throwaway number which, IMO would make no sense.

549 is a throwaway number.

codyg1985

Quote from: US71 on March 06, 2015, 02:38:59 PM
SPUIs are overrated.

Will the SPUI at future I-49 at US 71 North in Bentonville actually be built before this one?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

M86

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 08, 2015, 05:28:20 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 06, 2015, 02:38:59 PM
SPUIs are overrated.

Will the SPUI at future I-49 at US 71 North in Bentonville actually be built before this one?
I've been trying to figure this out... Viewing AHTD's plans is like breaking into Fort Knox.

robbones

Just saw an AR 412 sign in Springdale at the I 49 (exit 72) NB off ramp. Should be US 412. Way to go AHTD

US71

Quote from: M86 on March 18, 2015, 01:08:14 AM
I'll try and investigate tomorrow.
Quote from: robbones on March 09, 2015, 01:05:20 PM
Just saw an AR 412 sign in Springdale at the I 49 (exit 72) NB off ramp. Should be US 412. Way to go AHTD
I am ex
Quote from: robbones on March 09, 2015, 01:05:20 PM
Nope.  That is all.

Then the error has been corrected?.

M86

Their STIP really needs to be updated.

bjrush

It will be in 2016. It is updated in 3 year cycles
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Quote from: bjrush on March 20, 2015, 11:04:04 AM
It will be in 2016. It is updated in 3 year cycles
I'm talking online for AHTD.

bjrush

Scott Bennett, Director of Highways at AHTD, will be in NWA on Friday, April 24 from 12-1 pm speaking as a part of the Dan Flowers Distinguished Lecture Series at the University of Arkansas  Topic is Arkansas Highways...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The speech is free and open to the public
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on April 02, 2015, 03:52:00 PM
Scott Bennett, Director of Highways at AHTD, will be in NWA on Friday, April 24 from 12-1 pm speaking as a part of the Dan Flowers Distinguished Lecture Series at the University of Arkansas  Topic is Arkansas Highways...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The speech is free and open to the public
Mind the speed limit ;)

bjrush

I hope any road enthusiast in NWA attends. I think this will be a good speech. Hopefully he comments on the proposal to shrink the highway system
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on April 04, 2015, 08:36:52 AM
I hope any road enthusiast in NWA attends. I think this will be a good speech. Hopefully he comments on the proposal to shrink the highway system
I'd like to, but it's iffy right now. Dealing with a family emergency

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.