News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which state has the highest number of non-Interstate freeways?

Started by Poiponen13, September 23, 2023, 09:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

For Utah...

Full freeways:
- SR 67 (Legacy Parkway)
- SR 177 (West Davis Highway - to be opened next year)

4+ lane freeway segments:
- US 6, Carbonville Rd to SR 55
- US 40: I-80 to SR 32
- US 89: I-15 to I-84
- US 91: east of Brigham City to Mantua
- SR 7 (Southern Parkway): I-15 to Desert Canyons Parkway
- SR 9, I-15 to Old Highway 91
- SR 85 (Mountain View), 3500 South to SR 201
- SR 154 (Bangerter Highway): I-15 to 2700 West, 13400 South to 9800 South, 9800 South to 4700 South, California Ave to SLC Intl Airport
- SR 201, 7200 West to I-15/80

Super 2 freeway segments:
- US 6, Price bypass
- SR 7, the remainder (Desert Canyons Parkway to SR 9)
- SR 92, Lehi commuter lanes (I-15 to Highland Blvd)

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 23, 2023, 10:18:58 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 23, 2023, 09:22:10 AM
Also, are there any states that do not number exits on such freeways?
I think numbering exits on non-interstate freeways seems to be the exception in most states.  Iowa is the only state I am aware of that consistently numbers the exits for almost all freeway segments.

Utah also does. In the list above, the only routes without posted exit numbers are SR 92 and SR 9.

As a matter of fact, there are almost no truly unnumbered exits in Utah. Even if it doesn't have a posted number, almost every grade-separated interchange in the state has an internal number, including one-off interchanges on otherwise at-grade roads.

RZF

Quote from: DTComposer on September 23, 2023, 07:37:10 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 23, 2023, 01:31:23 PM
Some others with freeway segments:

68 (West of Salinas and Monterey)
204 (North of downtown Bakersfield)
77 (The whole thing)
These fell into my "super-short-only-one-or-two-exit" category, but am adding them for completeness. Also adding 35 and 259.

75 (The Coronado Bridge)
18 if you count what is signed "as freeway"  north of San Bernardino.
Forgot about 18, I think because it's undivided - but the 18/138 interchange has always been one of my favorites from a design standpoint.

63 multiplexes 198 in Visalia on a freeway grade. 
44 (The western terminus in Redding)
255 (the one lane freeway portion coming out of Eureka)
108 (the one lane freeway in Sonora)
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 23, 2023, 05:17:31 PM
Even US 395 has a short freeway section north of Reno. The CA 70 junction has "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" banners as well (just before it downgrades into Lassen county). There's also the segment with one exit near Crowley Lake in Mono county.
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 23, 2023, 05:17:31 PM
If we are counting US Routes then 101, 50 and 199 would need to be on the list.  I forgot CA 244 on my earlier post.  There are some non-state owned freeway segments out there also like Alfred Harrell Highway, Pacific Highway in San Diego and part of Golden State Boulevard in Fresno.
50 and 101 were on the list, forgot about 199. I didn't include 244 since it's functionally a ramp with no additional exits.

I'll go back and add non-state-owned freeways. Could also include Central Expressway in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, La Cienega Boulevard in Los Angeles.
CA 154 has one freeway exit in Santa Barbara as well, if we want to add that to the list.

SkyPesos

I think numbering exits on non-interstate freeways seems to be the exception in most states.  Iowa is the only state I am aware of that consistently numbers the exits for almost all freeway segments.
Ohio has been adding exit numbers to its freeways and expressways over the past decade. I think a majority of the exits on non-interstate freeways in the state have exit numbers now, though some notable ones without exit numbers yet include US 35 in Dayton and a portion of the OH 161/16 freeway east of Columbus.

wriddle082

Tennessee has a decent number of them, though they're mostly short, but each is pretty important.

In numerical order, these routes are all freeway or have freeway segments:  TN 22, US 23, US 27, US 31E, US 43, US 45E, US 51, TN 60, US 64, TN 71, US 78, TN 93, TN 109, TN 111, US 129, TN 153, TN 155, TN 158, TN 176, TN 300, TN 319, US 321, TN 385, TN 386, and TN 396.  Also Plough Blvd. and Sam Cooper Blvd in Memphis.

South Carolina only has eight:  US 17, SC 22, SC 30, SC 31, Business I-85, SC 277, US 278, and US 501.

TheStranger

77 (The whole thing)
These fell into my "super-short-only-one-or-two-exit" category, but am adding them for completeness. Also adding 35 and 259.

262 would then also fit as it starts out as a brief freeway between I-880 and Warm Springs (which I think is longer than the entirety of Route 77)

I'll go back and add non-state-owned freeways. Could also include Central Expressway in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, La Cienega Boulevard in Los Angeles.

IIRC, Friars Road has a long enough segment of multiple exits in San Diego to fit (if Central Expressway would be included), specifically west of I-805.

Also in the San Diego area:
Pacific Highway (former US 101 near Lindbergh Field)
Fairmount Avenue Expressway

From Orange County:
Since 261 was mentioned before, the freeway extension of Jamboree Road also could be brought up there (and likewise, Los Patrones Parkway south of 241)

From LA area:
The Colorado Street Freeway spur (former Route 134) off I-5
Chris Sampang

thspfc

In WI I count 25 distinct ones . . .

- US-53 portions north of I-94
- US-53 in La Crosse County
- WI-35 in St. Croix County
- WI-64 in St. Croix County
- US-12 in Sauk County
- Madison Beltline
- US-12 in Walworth County
- US-151 northeast of I-39/90/94
- US-18/151 around Verona
- US-14 south of the Beltline to Oregon
- WI-16 in Waukesha County
- WI-23 in Sheboygan County
- WI-26 northeast of Janesville
- WI-30
- WI-441
- WI-172
- WI-119
- WI-54/57 northeast of Green Bay
- US-41/141 north of Green Bay
- WI-29 west of Green Bay
- US-10 west of Appleton
- US-45 northwest of Oshkosh
- WI-29 in the Wausau area
- US-51 north of I-39's northern terminus
- US-51 north of Madison (toes the line of freeway vs. expressway that happens to have no intersections for a few miles)

Big John

^^ to be picky, it is WI 172 east of I-41, not a freeway west of I-41.

bing101

New York State has to be up there given that non-interstate freeways are called parkways especially in the New York City area.

ilpt4u

As for listing other states:

Illinois

Full Freeway
* IL 6 (has exit numbers)
* IL 255 (has exit numbers)
* IL 390 (has exit numbers)

Freeway segments
* US 20 around Rockford and again around Freeport (no exit numbers)
* US 34 around Galesburg (no exit numbers)
* US 41, multiple segments in Chicagoland (no exit numbers)
* US 50 near the Indiana border (no exit numbers)
* US 51 south of I-72 in the Decatur area (no exit numbers)
* US 67 around Jacksonville (no exit numbers)
* IL 38 (no exit numbers)
* IL 53 (no exit numbers)
* IL 83 (no exit numbers)
* IL 92 in Moline (no exit numbers)
* IL 137/the Amstutz in Waukegan (no exit numbers)
* IL 336 Super-2 segment around Macomb) (no exit numbers)
* IL 394 (no exit numbers)
US 20 is also a freeway thru Elgin
Also IL 56 when it leaves the Reagan Tollway into Sugar Grove is a short freeway and originally part of the Tollway, unless the RIRO is a DQ, but surely not

Of course, the better part is a number of these non-interstate freeway segments were built to be interstates. US 50 near (and into) Indiana was constructed when that was to be the I-64 routing

US 51 south of Decatur was with an eye to eventually what became I-39

IL 6 was to be either part of a longer freeway up to I-80 that would get the I-shield or also projected to come back to either 74, 474, and/or 155 as a more complete beltway and that would have continued the I-474 designation

LSD and the Amstutz were going to be part of the IL/WI Lakefront Freeway which would have received and I-shield

US 20 in Elgin could yet possibly connect someday to the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway, tho that segment in Elgin would need some improvements to get to I-standard should the Elgin-O'Hare ever graduate from IL 390 to I-390

And IL 53's story has been told plenty of times on this board, but if it could ever be extended north it would probably get either an I-355 extension or an x94 if it hooks back to the Tri-State/I-94 in Lake County, but it seems that vision is basically dead

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on September 24, 2023, 02:53:09 AM

77 (The whole thing)

262 would then also fit as it starts out as a brief freeway between I-880 and Warm Springs (which I think is longer than the entirety of Route 77)

IIRC, Friars Road has a long enough segment of multiple exits in San Diego to fit (if Central Expressway would be included), specifically west of I-805.

Also in the San Diego area:
Pacific Highway (former US 101 near Lindbergh Field)
Fairmount Avenue Expressway

From Orange County:
Since 261 was mentioned before, the freeway extension of Jamboree Road also could be brought up there (and likewise, Los Patrones Parkway south of 241)

From LA area:
The Colorado Street Freeway spur (former Route 134) off I-5

Regarding Bakersfield there is another short freeway segment along Manor Street.  It was constructed around the same time the western portion of Alfred Harrell Highway was rebuilt to freeway standards.

gonealookin

To address the "which has fewest?" part of the OP's question:  Are there any that are dead zero?  Wyoming has a little bit of US 20/26 bypassing the north side of Casper and I think that's it.  You could also make a case that the mileage of the I-180 "Interstate non-freeway" should be subtracted from that.

SkyPesos

Quote from: gonealookin on September 24, 2023, 12:36:15 PM
To address the "which has fewest?" part of the OP's question:  Are there any that are dead zero?  Wyoming has a little bit of US 20/26 bypassing the north side of Casper and I think that's it.  You could also make a case that the mileage of the I-180 "Interstate non-freeway" should be subtracted from that.
Indiana doesn't have that many relative to the number of interstates or other roads they have. Only non-interstate freeways there I can think of are US 31 for about 15 miles north of I-465 (the rest of its route to South Bend is an expressway), the US 20/31 partial loop around South Bend, IN 265 near Louisville (which would probably get signed as I-265 at some point in the future), IN 912 (except the new bridge, which is 2 lanes) and IN 641 in Terre Haute.

freebrickproductions

I'd assume Georgia also ranks up there given how many (usually short) freeway sections the US routes around the state have, usually as bypasses of cities. Maybe Mississippi as well.

I would've thought Alabama's definitely on the lower side when ranking from most to least for non-interstate freeways, at first. The only ones I'm was aware of are Research Park Boulevard (AL 255) in Huntsville, Memorial Parkway (US 231, US 431, and, briefly, US 72) in Huntsville, Red Mountain Expressway (US 31 and US 280) in Birmingham, and Northern Boulevard (AL 152) between I-65 and James Ferry Road in Montgomery, if you want to count that, which makes for a grand total of four.

However, if we define a "freeway" as being a grade-separated stretch of road or highway with at least two interchanges and no at-grade intersections between them, which I'm using for my definition to include the part of AL 152 (and to not count things like US 72 around Scottsboro), then you can also include part of McFarland Boulevard (US 82) in Tuscaloosa, the parts of US 80 and US 280 in Phenix City running to the GA state line, then that adds an additional three making for seven total non-interstate freeways in Alabama (assuming I ain't missed any others).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Poiponen13

Exit numbers on non-Interstate freeways are plus! Which states other than California and Iowa do that?

Big John

US 89

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 24, 2023, 01:54:35 PM
Exit numbers on non-Interstate freeways are plus! Which states other than California and Iowa do that?

Utah, as I mentioned above. Arizona, Colorado, and Nevada too.

Montana was probably a good case until the recent construction of the Kalispell western bypass. The short freeway segment from I-15 towards downtown Great Falls is unsigned I-315 and I can't think of any other freeways in the state that aren't the three 2dis or I-115.

Bruce

Washington, but only sometimes. It's weirdly inconsistent.

gonealookin

Quote from: US 89 on September 24, 2023, 02:11:15 PM

Utah, as I mentioned above. Arizona, Colorado, and Nevada too.

Also Oregon.  If you're numbering an exit on SR 140 in Klamath Falls, you're numbering 'em all.

wanderer2575

Add Michigan to the list, for the most part.  (The short M-8, M-47, and north-south portion of M-5 are the exceptions.)

J N Winkler

Other states that have at least partial exit numbering on non-Interstate freeways include Arkansas, Arizona, Maryland, North Carolina and Texas.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Quote from: bing101 on September 24, 2023, 11:52:47 AM
New York State has to be up there given that non-interstate freeways are called parkways especially in the New York City area.
There are plenty of non-interstate freeways that aren't parkways (and a few parkways that aren't freeways).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

pianocello

Quote from: formulanone on September 23, 2023, 05:06:29 PM
Florida has at least 20...

Turnpike (91), Extension (821), 112, 408, 417, 429, 528, 589, 618, 836, 869, 874

Stubby ones: 451, 453, 970, 878

826 has a non-freeway section, but about 20 miles of it is entirely freeway/limited access.

Jacksonville has US 1 Alternate for a few miles. FL 9B is tipped to be Future I-795, but still unposted with an Interstate shield.

Southern Boulevard (FL 80/US 441/98) has a few grade separations in a row, but also some driveway access. Collier County Road 886 is a similar example.

Short sections of 414, 924, and 934 (?) are limited-access for a few exits.

US 1 between Florida City and Key Largo, acts like a Super-2, not quite fitting the bill. 293 is another Super-2 facility, but with no hard divider. Similarly, 538?

Loads of random grade separations that are vaguely a mile long apiece between access points, but I wouldn't count those.
Have the new freeways in Pinellas County near the St. Pete airport been finished and opened to traffic yet? Those will count when they are. Also US 19 has a lengthy freeway stretch in that area, IIRC

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 23, 2023, 10:02:31 PM
Indiana-

U.S.: 20, 24, 31 (have exit numbers between Indy and South Bend), 41, 50
SR: 23, 37, 641, 912 (have exit numbers)
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 24, 2023, 12:51:57 PM
Indiana doesn't have that many relative to the number of interstates or other roads they have. Only non-interstate freeways there I can think of are US 31 for about 15 miles north of I-465 (the rest of its route to South Bend is an expressway), the US 20/31 partial loop around South Bend, IN 265 near Louisville (which would probably get signed as I-265 at some point in the future), IN 912 (except the new bridge, which is 2 lanes) and IN 641 in Terre Haute.

I think the Keystone Parkway (not a SR) qualifies too. Also can't forget the 4-mile stretch of the Lloyd Expressway (SR 62/66) that barrels through the heart of Evansville.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on September 23, 2023, 09:08:19 PM
So...where's the summary of this thread to answer the question?

To point out the obvious, that doesn't exist and would be pretty much impossible for one person to compile.

However, if there's user interest, one potential suggestion would be a Travel Mapping page for non-interstate freeways, just like the one we have for 6-lane freeways. That would make it easy to total up both mileage and number of individual routes in each state.

Rothman

A summary of the thread is impossible to compile?  Baloney.  Just would take someone time to gather the responses so far.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.