News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 11, 2022, 07:53:30 PM
The 85 express lanes in Gwinnett are dangerous, IMO because they are so narrow with little shoulder. They should have put up sticks in the areas where single person traffic from the main lanes can't weave in and out of them like they have in Florida and California

Highway funding in Georgia is feast and famine, and those lanes were designed and funded during a famine. It's been going on forever.

Tom958

There have certainly been problems with signage here, but the fundamental problem is the layout of the detours. There's too much going on in too small an area to sign effectively, especially when overheads are out of the question. I'm told, though, that the ramps for 400 will be recombined within a few weeks. No more exits 27A and B, just 27, which will simplify things a bit.

https://www.cbs46.com/news/frustrations-flare-over-confusing-i-285-ga-400-signage-gdot-responds/article_27f6a962-8ac1-11ec-a3eb-ff1a377aa3f2.html?block_id=1107653

architect77

Quote from: Tom958 on February 12, 2022, 10:22:44 AM
The 85 express lanes in Gwinnett are dangerous, IMO because they are so narrow with little shoulder. They should have put up sticks in the areas where single person traffic from the main lanes can't weave in and out of them like they have in Florida and California

Highway funding in Georgia is feast and famine, and those lanes were designed and funded during a famine. It's been going on forever.

Yes historically and until 2015, the lawmakers from rural Georgia scoffed at funding to pay for metro area highways, and the only way the metro could have enjoyed more funding was if it raised it independently from the rest of the state. GA ranked 49th in transportation expenditure per capita.

I-85 was widened as part of the "freeing the freeways" initiative in the late 80's just as spaghetti junction was built. I-85 was the largest of all freeways except for the downtown connector. Through Gwinnett is was 5, generously ample lanes in each direction.

The Olympics prompted the HOV lane to be painted into existence thus ending a relaxing driving experience on I-85. Initially there were many diamonds on the pavement and white HOV-2 overheads mounted in the median center wall.

If I had to make the decision, I'd go back to 5 lanes for I-85 to improve safety and the experience. I just don't like having 2 inner lanes being narrower than the national standard.

But that raises the question whether additional lanes on freeways this wide really help. I wonder how much the shoulder lanes increase through put. I don't care for them, and I don't think the green and red signs are universally understood by drivers not from here.

GDOT gets plenty of funding now, we just have to make sure 25% isn't being diverted to the general fund like previously, On that note, GA will enjoy a $4-6 billion surplus in the state budget this year and likely the next few.

ran4sh

The "sticks" don't actually prevent cars from changing lanes, they just make it look like it's not possible. In the places that use them, emergency vehicles can easily go across them when necessary. I'm ok with Georgia not using them, they would be an extra expense for something that doesn't really have any benefit.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

ran4sh

Quote from: architect77 on February 12, 2022, 06:24:28 PM

Yes historically and until 2015, the lawmakers from rural Georgia scoffed at funding to pay for metro area highways, and the only way the metro could have enjoyed more funding was if it raised it independently from the rest of the state. GA ranked 49th in transportation expenditure per capita.

I-85 was widened as part of the "freeing the freeways" initiative in the late 80's just as spaghetti junction was built. I-85 was the largest of all freeways except for the downtown connector. Through Gwinnett is was 5, generously ample lanes in each direction.

The Olympics prompted the HOV lane to be painted into existence thus ending a relaxing driving experience on I-85. Initially there were many diamonds on the pavement and white HOV-2 overheads mounted in the median center wall.

If I had to make the decision, I'd go back to 5 lanes for I-85 to improve safety and the experience. I just don't like having 2 inner lanes being narrower than the national standard.

But that raises the question whether additional lanes on freeways this wide really help. I wonder how much the shoulder lanes increase through put. I don't care for them, and I don't think the green and red signs are universally understood by drivers not from here.

GDOT gets plenty of funding now, we just have to make sure 25% isn't being diverted to the general fund like previously, On that note, GA will enjoy a $4-6 billion surplus in the state budget this year and likely the next few.

The OTP HOV lane was established about 4-5 years after the Olympics (during the Olympics it was just ITP that had HOV lanes)

Green arrows and red Xs for lane control are standard signs nationally and have been such a standard for a long time, Idk how you can say people not from here don't understand it.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

US 89

Quote from: ran4sh on February 13, 2022, 02:43:29 AM
The "sticks" don't actually prevent cars from changing lanes, they just make it look like it's not possible.

Which I would argue is the whole point. If their appearance is enough to convince people to not drive across them where they would have otherwise crossed a paint double line, then they've served their purpose.

architect77

Quote from: ran4sh on February 13, 2022, 02:48:23 AM

The OTP HOV lane was established about 4-5 years after the Olympics (during the Olympics it was just ITP that had HOV lanes)

Green arrows and red Xs for lane control are standard signs nationally and have been such a standard for a long time, Idk how you can say people not from here don't understand it.

I've driven through 35 states, and i've never seen any huge Red X, Green Arrow LEDS suspended over the shoulder like in Gwinnett.

I'm not opposed to them, nor am I saying the symbols themselves aren't universally understood.

I'm just saying I've never seen an implementation for shoulder driving that looks like the one in Gwinnett. Perhaps visitors would immediately understand what they are for, however without any overhead notice associating them with shoulder lane limited usage, I feel they are incomplete at best.

But interpretation time for info on signs hasn't been a priority for GDOT.

Just now San Francisco has opened their express lanes for roads heading down the peninsula. Their compact, center median supported, Express Lane overheads are exactly what I was longing for here to reduce the visual clutter on our formerly attractive interstates.

sfexp by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Tomahawkin

Am I being optimistic or has ground clearing begun for the Covington highway Bridge replacement over 285, IMO that is atleast 1 of about 8 bridges over 285 That need to be replaced

Tom958

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 14, 2022, 02:18:27 PM
Am I being optimistic or has ground clearing begun for the Covington highway Bridge replacement over 285, IMO that is atleast 1 of about 8 bridges over 285 That need to be replaced

It has. My tenuous understanding is that the Redwing Circle bridge will be replaced first so that it can serve as a detour for Covington Highway. Glenwood Avenue is part of the contract, too.

Georgia

I drove that stretch of 85 northbound and there are signs explaining x means dont use and the green arrow means travel permitted.

edited: found the sign on street view, it seems straight forward to me.  it mentions that for the shoulder, x means it is closed and green arrow it is open. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9207936,-84.1915536,3a,75y,73.95h,105.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjpl5hpuET15AA7rET8yyQQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Tomahawkin

@Tom958 thanks for the 411. That makes perfect sense on the detour. I wonder if GDOT Plans on replacing all 3 bridges at the 285 and the Ponce/Church street interchange? There is also a antiquated R-road bridge there. This would have to be done in order to add a express lane in each direction in that area

architect77

Quote from: Georgia on February 14, 2022, 08:27:33 PM
I drove that stretch of 85 northbound and there are signs explaining x means dont use and the green arrow means travel permitted.

edited: found the sign on street view, it seems straight forward to me.  it mentions that for the shoulder, x means it is closed and green arrow it is open. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9207936,-84.1915536,3a,75y,73.95h,105.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjpl5hpuET15AA7rET8yyQQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A low shoulder sign on the right side of 6 lanes of traffic isn't sufficient to explain the overhead LED symbols. I think that all the lanes can see the red x's and green arrows, while only the right lane or two see the explanation.

I think all of this info on a crowded, visually cluttered freeway moving at sometimes very high speed should be presented as cleanly and clearly as possible for the fastest conveyance of information.  These are life and death maneuvers decided upon with only a window of several seconds to read and process the signage info and meaning.

With the general public's wide range of reaction times, simple and clear is always better.

Tomahawkin

Noticed that there is construction work at the ramp from Peachtree street to the Buford/Spring street connector. Anyone know about this?

G-DOT Tease The Folks? Only improvements I know of in that area is the round-About at Armour and Monroe Drive: That area is a total cluster####

nerdom

Quote from: architect77 on February 13, 2022, 07:28:17 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on February 13, 2022, 02:48:23 AM

I've driven through 35 states, and i've never seen any huge Red X, Green Arrow LEDS suspended over the shoulder like in Gwinnett.

I'm not opposed to them, nor am I saying the symbols themselves aren't universally understood.

I'm just saying I've never seen an implementation for shoulder driving that looks like the one in Gwinnett. Perhaps visitors would immediately understand what they are for, however without any overhead notice associating them with shoulder lane limited usage, I feel they are incomplete at best.

But interpretation time for info on signs hasn't been a priority for GDOT.

Just now San Francisco has opened their express lanes for roads heading down the peninsula. Their compact, center median supported, Express Lane overheads are exactly what I was longing for here to reduce the visual clutter on our formerly attractive interstates.

sfexp by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Not sure what they look like in Gwinnett but the are used on 495 between Tyson's Corner and the Potomoc. Red X, Green arrow, and a southeastern Yellow arrow for merge. Only place I've ever seen it.

Capital Beltway
https://maps.app.goo.gl/h9jyHjk67c26GFeV9

architect77

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 19, 2022, 04:58:06 PM
Noticed that there is construction work at the ramp from Peachtree street to the Buford/Spring street connector. Anyone know about this?

G-DOT Tease The Folks? Only improvements I know of in that area is the round-About at Armour and Monroe Drive: That area is a total cluster####
I believe this is another roundabout being built midway through the existing Northbound ramp to the Buford Spr. Connector. It is for access to whatever is being built on the hillside where the ICONOLOGIC building used to sit. It was demolished at the beginning of this project.

Tom958

The dick and balls logo on the VMS on southbound I-85 approaching Spaghetti Junction is back! I took this at 3 this morning. I assumed that after it'd been displayed to thousands of slow-moving motorists at rush hour per my November 13, 2021 post, GDOT had put a  stop to it. Happily, I was wrong.  :-D

Tomahawkin

Traffic Alert! Avoid Abernathy and the 400 interchange for the next 5 weeks. The 400 Bridge is going to be rebuilt so there can be a DDI built. It seems all those Bridges on 400 north of 285 were built in 1980? I'm curious to see how GDOT Plans on adding 4 north/south toll lanes in each direction at ground level, given that there is no land because of all the houses/apartments in Sandy Springs and Roswell???

kernals12

It's shocking to me that Atlanta, one of the fastest growing metro areas in the United States and already one of its most congested, has no new freeway corridors planned.

sprjus4

A 70 mph 6 lane outer beltway toll road (E-ZPass) with properly spaced interchanges (major junctions only) would prove valuable for long distance traffic. Spacing exits out strategically can also help to cut down on sprawling development that may be a concern.

It would allow I-75, I-85, and I-20 through traffic to bypass Atlanta and I-285 entirely.

It could also have utility for regional travel between suburbs, but spacing interchanges out could cut down on local exit-to-exit trips.

RoadWarrior56

You are at least 20-years too late for this.  That is what the Outer Perimeter was all about.  It was supposed to be constructed 20-30 miles out from I-285 and be all or partially tolled.  It later got truncated to the "Northern Arc" (proposed SR 500), which would have only connected I-75 near Cartersville, with I-85 behind Mall of Georgia, and SR 316 at Sugarloaf Parkway.  Most of the right-of-way for the Northern Arc had been purchased, but opposition from NMBY's and the lack of political will in 2002 killed it for good.  Unfortunately I don't see it coming back, even though it is badly needed.  I have lived in Metro Atlanta for over 40 years and I work in this profession so I know the history well.   See the link below for the Wikipedia entry for the Outer Perimeter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Perimeter

architect77

Quote from: kernals12 on February 23, 2022, 10:34:24 PM
It's shocking to me that Atlanta, one of the fastest growing metro areas in the United States and already one of its most congested, has no new freeway corridors planned.
Please email this statement to GDOT. It's at the crux of our infamous congestion.

Tomahawkin

With the rate of Sprawl, Atlanta needs to emulate the new super beltway that the Houston area has. I know cats from Temple (west), Rome (Northwest), Braselton (NE) and Perry (Far South) who commute to Atlanta on a daily basis. A super beltway would need to serve these cities. This is a super pipedream and will never happen before 2050

hotdogPi

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 26, 2022, 10:32:53 PM
With the rate of Sprawl, Atlanta needs to emulate the new super beltway that the Houston area has. I know cats from Temple (west), Rome (Northwest), Braselton (NE) and Perry (Far South) who commute to Atlanta on a daily basis. A super beltway would need to serve these cities. This is a super pipedream and will never happen before 2050
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

Georgia

Tomahawkin

There are more worn out bridges that could follow suit with the increased truck traffic. Those old bridges with the Turd green spans are in desperate need of repairs. I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner on 285 and IH20. I always wonder how that 3 lane 100+ foot high flyover at Spaghetti Junction doesn't collapse with the nonstop traffic on it at a standstill every afternoon even on weekends

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.