Regional Boards > Mountain West

Montana

<< < (9/10) > >>

Rothman:

--- Quote from: Bruce on December 10, 2021, 04:47:21 AM ---A research question: Can anyone pin down when I-90 was converted to a full divided highway in Montana? I read a claim that it was undivided with a soft median until the mid 1990s, but have not seen any newspaper sources to back this up.

--- End quote ---
I'd be really surprised if that were the case.  My family took a trip to Glacier coming from Yellowstone in about 1991 or 1992 and I'm pretty sure there was a soft median except for around Butte.  Still, real evidence could prove me otherwise.

roadfro:

--- Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 10, 2021, 12:56:06 AM ---One thing Iíve always wondered about the I-15/I-90 multiplex through Butte: why does it use I-15ís exit numbers instead of I-90ís? Given that I-90 is the dominant roadway at both splits, and the concurrency itself is oriented east-west, this makes absolutely no sense. What was MT DOT thinking?

--- End quote ---

A lot of the time, when two routes are the same type of highway, the route with the lower number gets the milepost priority.

Nevada DOT does this with the US 6 & US 95 overlap in central Nevada between Tonopah and the Coledale Junction. US 95 is the through route at both "T" junctions and is the route the vast majority of the traffic is following, but the mileposts along the overlapping segment reflect US 6.

FrCorySticha:
The bad weather that affected the Pacific Northwest also affected western Montana. Yesterday, westbound I-90 going up Lookout Pass was closed at St. Regis due to an avalanche on the westbound lanes about 7 1/2 from the summit of the pass. The eastbound lanes were still open, as was ID/MT 200, so westbound traffic was detoured from St. Regis to Thompson Falls and across to Sandpoint, ID.

I didn't want to risk not being able to get through eastbound, so I ended up taking the detour, which was in much better shape than the passes. Beautiful, fun drive too!

Kniwt:
The Missoulian reports that MDT is advancing plans to improve -- but not four-lane -- US 93 between St. Ignatius and Ronan.
https://missoulian.com/news/local/hazardous-strip-of-highway-93-in-line-for-widening/article_4a9e7faf-5020-5f51-b70d-5a53379763bd.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

--- Quote ---Montana Department of Transportation officials have reached the final planning stages of an expansion of the roadway, which crosses the wildlife-rich, waterlogged edge of the Ninepipe National Wildlife Refuge.

... The two-lane highway from 7.6 miles north of St. Ignatius to 1.25 miles south of Ronan often has just 100 feet of right-of-way, when the usual road width for that kind of road is 160 feet. In addition to passing close by numerous pothole lakes and ponds, the ground underneath is riddled with water features and other unstable formations. Plus there are numerous side roads branching off, adding to the traffic complexity.

An average 7,000 to 8,000 vehicles a day pass that section. The total grows about 35% during the summer season as tourists head for Flathead Lake, the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes Bison Range, and Glacier National Park.

... Expansion plans also include a separate bike-pedestrian path alongside the highway. The current design does not involve increasing to four lanes, due to ecological concerns.

--- End quote ---

Project website: https://www.mdt.mt.gov/pubinvolve/us93ninepipe/

LilianaUwU:
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but I've decided to maybe work on Montana highway pages on Wikipedia and I'm wondering: do any of y'all have sources about the highways such as route logs, history, etc.?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version