News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Fútbol chatter

Started by mgk920, June 19, 2013, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 08, 2019, 09:12:46 AM
Update: It's now clear the Champions League winner will be English.
Yes!
It might be time for my friends to stop telling me Spurs can't win trophies. By tanking in the EPL, Tottenham is in the Champions League Final, at long last.

Bruce

Two comebacks by English clubs from 3-0 down...the world is truly broken!

thspfc

The Champions League is really screwed up this year. I'm not complaining though. . .

Bruce

Manchester City are champions, Liverpool are heartbroken (at least for a few more weeks).

Bruce

The 84 minutes between goals in the Champions League final was rather boring. Let's not have an all-English final ever again.

thspfc

Quote from: Bruce on June 01, 2019, 05:17:13 PM
The 84 minutes between goals in the Champions League final was rather boring. Let's not have an all-English final ever again.
I thought it was a good game, though not the 3-2 I predicted.

Bruce

US Women win 13-0 over Thailand to open their Women's World Cup campaign, setting a new world record for that margin of victory. Alex Morgan bagged five goals. FIVE!

https://twitter.com/FIFAWWC/status/1138549426912419840

thspfc

Quote from: Bruce on June 11, 2019, 04:52:33 PM
US Women win 13-0 over Thailand to open their Women's World Cup campaign, setting a new world record for that margin of victory. Alex Morgan bagged five goals. FIVE!

https://twitter.com/FIFAWWC/status/1138549426912419840
YIKES
Shows how far the US women are ahead of some of some decent countries in women's soccer.
Now we wait until the day when the men can finally compete with Venezuela.

Bruce

Today marked 25 years since the start of the 1994 World Cup, hosted by the United States, which smashed attendance and television records and really kickstarted the current era of American soccer.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Bruce on June 17, 2019, 11:56:59 PM
Today marked 25 years since the start of the 1994 World Cup, hosted by the United States, which smashed attendance and television records and really kickstarted the current era of American soccer.
Probably what led me and my sister to take up soccer in our youth.

thspfc

Gyasi Zardes scored a painful goal for the USA to lock up the 4-0 victory over Guyana. https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1546094147814

Bruce

USA advance to the Women's World Cup Final for the third consecutive (and fifth overall) time. Some late scares (and dirty play) from England at the end, but it worked out as intended.

https://twitter.com/USWNT/status/1146159958934937601

Bruce

The United States took home their fourth Women's World Cup (second back-to-back)...that's half of all Women's World Cups ever played.

Match highlights:

Crowd reactions from various watch parties:

Trophy lift:

Highlights from the whole tournament:

thspfc

I thought that penalty was a bit too much. I've played soccer for almost 10 years and reffed for three, and I would not have called it a penalty.

Bruce

Quote from: thspfc on July 07, 2019, 06:12:38 PM
I thought that penalty was a bit too much. I've played soccer for almost 10 years and reffed for three, and I would not have called it a penalty.

In my view, a high boot that gets anywhere near the face should be called 100% of the time. It's too dangerous to let go.

US 89

After watching this WWC I think I’ve come to the conclusion that Morgan and Rapinoe are overrated. They tend to get all the media attention, but I don’t think I’d consider them the best on the USWNT right now. In my opinion Lavelle, Ertz, Heath, and probably Horan are the best players on that team and don’t seem to get the attention they deserve.

Anyway, now for the CONCACAF Gold Cup this evening, where the US will play Mexico in the final. The USMNT has looked decent in this tournament (at least compared to their performance the past couple years), but I’m not sure if they can pull off a win against Mexico.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on July 07, 2019, 06:12:38 PM
Kicking someone in the arm in the penalty box is going to get that penalty called.

Buck87

Random footnote:
The major European colonizers of land that which now makes up the 48 contiguous United States are also the same four counties the US Women defeated in the World Cup knockout round.

ET21

US Women's should play the Men's team, and dominate them  :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bruce

Quote from: nexus73 on July 09, 2019, 02:59:21 PM
A team of 15 year old and under boys beat the US Women's team earlier. 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Rick

Oh boy, this article again.

It was a scrimmage, not a competitive fixture or even a friendly. There's no way the USWNT would risk injuring themselves while playing an informal warm-up with an MLS academy team.

Yes, the USWNT would probably not beat a major men's national team, but they wouldn't be demolished. Soccer is less about physicality and more about form and talent (see why the world's best player is the "undersized" Leo Messi).

Speaking of the USWNT, they are earning more revenue for the U.S. Soccer Federation in tickets compared to the men's team. Americans love themselves a winner, while the men's team is still falling behind to Mexico's B-squad (with help from incompetence referees).

nexus73

Quote from: Bruce on July 09, 2019, 03:31:27 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Rick

It was a scrimmage, not a competitive fixture or even a friendly. There's no way the USWNT would risk injuring themselves while playing an informal warm-up with an MLS academy team.

Yes, the USWNT would probably not beat a major men's national team, but they wouldn't be demolished. Soccer is less about physicality and more about form and talent (see why the world's best player is the "undersized" Leo Messi).

Speaking of the USWNT, they are earning more revenue for the U.S. Soccer Federation in tickets compared to the men's team. Americans love themselves a winner, while the men's team is still falling behind to Mexico's B-squad (with help from incompetence referees).

Score was kept.  Boys 5  Girls 2.  If the US women's soccer team played a MLS team, the MLS team could name the score.  Physicality counts!  So what if you don't believe that.  Back when I was in high school, 2 boys who were rotational backups on the basketball team played 5 girls.  The 2 boys won with ease.  Had you watched PDX at the NYCFC game in between the World Cup and Gold Cup games, you would see with your own eyes what a mismatch a boys vs girls game would be.  The men are way faster, way stronger and way more aggressive.  The girls would have been left on the turf with tears from the first minute.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

thspfc

Quote from: nexus73 on July 09, 2019, 06:46:30 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 09, 2019, 03:31:27 PM

Rick

Score was kept.  Boys 5  Girls 2.  If the US women's soccer team played a MLS team, the MLS team could name the score.  Physicality counts!  So what if you don't believe that.  Back when I was in high school, 2 boys who were rotational backups on the basketball team played 5 girls.  The 2 boys won with ease.  Had you watched PDX at the NYCFC game in between the World Cup and Gold Cup games, you would see with your own eyes what a mismatch a boys vs girls game would be.  The men are way faster, way stronger and way more aggressive.  The girls would have been left on the turf with tears from the first minute.

Rick
The fact that the U15s and USWNT were playing against each other is a miracle in itself.

Alps

Keep it civil.
No, the US women's team could not beat the men's team. Let's just leave it at that?

mgk920

Quote from: Alps on July 10, 2019, 02:01:00 PM
Keep it civil.
No, the US women's team could not beat the men's team. Let's just leave it at that?

Also, the Mens' team held their own and played a very even game against Mexico in the CONCACAF Gold Cup championship game at Soldier Field in Chicago later on that evening.  It was just that one of Mexico's shots hit its mark while none of the USA's did.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.