News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

New signs were recently erected at the east end of UT 7. The sign isn't unique, odd, or interesting, but the shoulder markings are! Looks like the sign crew wanted to leave absolutely no doubt as to which sign was to be erected here. (All of the new signs have similarly verbose markings on the shoulder.)

US 89

Quote from: Kniwt on September 10, 2017, 07:01:03 PM
New signs were recently erected at the east end of UT 7. The sign isn't unique, odd, or interesting, but the shoulder markings are! Looks like the sign crew wanted to leave absolutely no doubt as to which sign was to be erected here. (All of the new signs have similarly verbose markings on the shoulder.)

It's somewhat unique in that it uses the Interstate shield for the second control point. A typical sign would just say in plain text "JCT I-15". I like what UDOT is doing here.

cjk374

Quote from: roadguy2 on September 11, 2017, 12:47:34 AM

It's somewhat unique in that it uses the Interstate shield for the second control point. A typical sign would just say in plain text "JCT I-15". I like what UDOT is doing here.

And it's non-neutered. Most excellent!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

formulanone

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 10, 2017, 07:51:41 AM

At least the words/numerals are proportional to the standard CR shield unlike Mercer's new shields.

Possibly the first state-named county shield?

PHLBOS

The use of an interstate (or any route) shield (en lieu of text) for a destination on a mileage sign is the current MUTCD standard.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

tckma

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 09, 2017, 05:17:59 PM

I passed under this one today, and noticed for the first time (after passing this sign about 237467124981982498 times) that the I-95 shield on the center sign seems to have blue reflective tape in the spot where a state name would have been.

Yes, compared with other the states I've lived in, MD does seem to have the most clear, unambiguous, and legible signage.  Though, considering one of the other states I've lived in is Massachusetts, that's a pretty darn low bar to clear.  (I do love MA's "paddle signs" though.)

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 11, 2017, 10:37:09 AM

The use of an interstate (or any route) shield (en lieu of text) for a destination on a mileage sign is the current MUTCD standard.

I think he meant "JCT [img]I-15 route marker[/img]", not necessarily "I-15" written out as text. I don't recall seeing a shield by itself without an accompanying "JCT" or cardinal direction recently (well, until now).

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 11, 2017, 08:32:29 PM
I found a rather interesting school zone sign today: https://goo.gl/maps/eeZ61GAK2LL2

Oh, Moreau. That town has a ton of weird crap scattered around, much of which has been in place forever. I forgot that sign even existed; we knew someone that lived a block away when I was little and that sign intrigued me as a kid.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2017, 02:18:12 PM

I think he meant "JCT [img]I-15 route marker[/img]", not necessarily "I-15" written out as text. I don't recall seeing a shield by itself without an accompanying "JCT" or cardinal direction recently (well, until now).

Nah, he probably did mean "JCT I-15" in all text. That's fairly common on small mileage signs in some western states–including Nevada (although I'm seeing a slow shift to using route shields on newer signs).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on September 12, 2017, 09:41:12 AM

https://i.imgur.com/MCNaQOA.jpg

Nah, he probably did mean "JCT I-15" in all text. That's fairly common on small mileage signs in some western states–including Nevada (although I'm seeing a slow shift to using route shields on newer signs).

But is it common in Utah? I've seen as much, but only very, very rarely and only for state route signage (this is the only example I can readily think of). I thought the practice was dumped decades ago.

Here's an example of what I thought roadguy2 meant: https://goo.gl/GNYVfH -- as you can tell by the shield and the full stop, this is not a new sign. I never would have guessed that any state was still writing out the route number. Supreme laziness!

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on September 12, 2017, 02:50:27 PM

But is it common in Utah? I've seen as much, but only very, very rarely and only for state route signage (this is the only example I can readily think of). I thought the practice was dumped decades ago.

Here's an example of what I thought roadguy2 meant: https://goo.gl/GNYVfH -- as you can tell by the shield and the full stop, this is not a new sign. I never would have guessed that any state was still writing out the route number. Supreme laziness!

I did mean "Jct I-15" in all text. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are several on the rural Utah highways off the interstates, especially the less traveled routes. Those would all be old (wood) signs with text in all-caps.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on September 12, 2017, 10:06:51 PM

I did mean "Jct I-15" in all text. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are several on the rural Utah highways off the interstates, especially the less traveled routes. Those would all be old (wood) signs with text in all-caps.

I stand corrected. Although I missed the bit in your OP where you said "in plain text" -- I wouldn't have commented had I saw that. :pan:

Question, though: Have any other new distance signs in Utah used all-text? I understand old signs using all text, but new signs? Still hard to believe any would be installed, even in states that have a plethora of old all-text signs.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on September 12, 2017, 10:29:16 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on September 12, 2017, 10:06:51 PM

I stand corrected. Although I missed the bit in your OP where you said "in plain text" -- I wouldn't have commented had I saw that. :pan:

Question, though: Have any other new distance signs in Utah used all-text? I understand old signs using all text, but new signs? Still hard to believe any would be installed, even in states that have a plethora of old all-text signs.

AFAIK, no new distance signs are all text, all the new ones use the shields. Also, the shields which were put up after 2013 or so all have the state name.

Although it's not a distance sign, there is a newer sign on I-80 westbound near 700 East in SLC which reads "SLC Int'l Airport Use I-15 North" in all text. (Which is only funny because the best way to the airport from there is 201W to 215N to 80W.)

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on September 13, 2017, 12:31:57 AM
Have any other new distance signs in Utah used all-text? I understand old signs using all text, but new signs? Still hard to believe any would be installed, even in states that have a plethora of old all-text signs.

AFAIK, no new distance signs are all text, all the new ones use the shields. Also, the shields which were put up after 2013 or so all have the state name.

So, what exactly were you getting at with your original reply? You seem to imply that all-text guide signs are the norm (but ^^this^^ indicates otherwise):

A typical sign would just say in plain text "JCT I-15".

Sorry to get nitpicky. You just seem to be contradicting yourself (and also confusing me since I thought all-text guide signs were rare).

Although it's not a distance sign, there is a newer sign on I-80 westbound near 700 East in SLC which reads "SLC Int'l Airport Use I-15 North" in all text. (Which is only funny because the best way to the airport from there is 201W to 215N to 80W.)

That's really the only time I see a route written out as text, although it's usually only with state routes, not interstates. It's also not so common anymore. Here's an example of a more recent "secondary" guide sign using a shield mid-sentence.

tckma

What's up with these red-on-white mile markers on the Inner Loop of the Capital Beltway (I-495) in MD?  I forgot about it until I passed them earlier today!  Here's an example of milepost 20.1:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9651518,-76.8677759,3a,15y,200.95h,85.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s35y1HR9hJlimV353TJ1wtQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's also a strange mile marker I pass periodically on the Inner Loop of the Baltimore Beltway (I-695) that was recently installed.  Last I checked, GMSV hadn't caught up with the change yet...  Or at least I can't find it in GMSV.  Every time I drive by, I make a mental note of where it is and promptly forget, which doesn't help.  It has a letter!  Like MILE M19 or MILE L21 or something odd like that.  Fairly sure it's M19.  I know it's somewhere between I-795 and the exit for the Towson Mall.  So what's the deal with the letter in the milepost?  Also, there's a smaller 0L and 1L on some of the top of the mileposts on the Baltimore Beltway.  What's the significance of that?

cjk374

What about that "DUI ENFORCEMENT AREA" sign in your GMSV above tckma? Shouldn't all roads be considered  a DUI enforcement area?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

tckma

Quote from: cjk374 on September 15, 2017, 05:22:17 PM
What about that "DUI ENFORCEMENT AREA" sign in your GMSV above tckma? Shouldn't all roads be considered  a DUI enforcement area?

Yeah.  I think it means doubled fines and increased police presence.  But I have no idea.  At least Virginia's "Safety Corridor" signage explicitly spells out the increased penalties.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on September 14, 2017, 06:09:47 PM
Have any other new distance signs in Utah used all-text? I understand old signs using all text, but new signs? Still hard to believe any would be installed, even in states that have a plethora of old all-text signs.

So, what exactly were you getting at with your original reply? You seem to imply that all-text guide signs are the norm (but ^^this^^ indicates otherwise):

A typical sign would just say in plain text "JCT I-15".

Sorry to get nitpicky. You just seem to be contradicting yourself (and also confusing me since I thought all-text guide signs were rare).

That's really the only time I see a route written out as text, although it's usually only with state routes, not interstates. It's also not so common anymore. Here's an example of a more recent "secondary" guide sign using a shield mid-sentence.

My initial response was that most older signs have had the all-text version, so that is what I have been used to. All newer installations use the shields, but I still consider them a novelty, along with the Utah state named Interstate shields which have been installed consistently since 2013. Sorry for any confusion.

hbelkins

Quote from: cjk374 on September 15, 2017, 05:22:17 PM

I get the feeling those signs are placed in areas with a high number of DUI-related wrecks, or something that would trigger the possibility of a large number of drunk drivers -- bars nearby, concert venues or other event sites where people tend to drink a lot. Something has given law enforcement the idea that there might be more than the normal number of drunk drivers at that site, thus the sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

I don't think I've seen this in the MUTCD (east of Pulaski, TN)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

thenetwork

Quote from: US71 on September 16, 2017, 04:38:56 PM

I don't think I've seen this in the MUTCD (east of Pulaski, TN)

I remember seeing an all-text CHURCH sign in Ohio back in the 80s.  That looks more like a gravestone than a church building.

US71

Quote from: thenetwork on September 16, 2017, 05:20:14 PM

I remember seeing an all-text CHURCH sign in Ohio back in the 80s.  That looks more like a gravestone than a church building.

I remember seeing Church possibly also Synagogue at one time.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on September 16, 2017, 05:36:16 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on September 16, 2017, 05:20:14 PM

I remember seeing Church possibly also Synagogue at one time.

Kentucky has used CHURCH diamond warning signs in the past. Now they'll typically use a "side road" sign with a "CHURCH" plate underneath it.

That particular sign looks like it was conceived by someone who considers baseball to be a religion.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.