News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Smallest town

Started by andrewkbrown, February 21, 2010, 07:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkbrown

What is the smallest town where an Interstate cuts through the middle of it, as opposed to bypassing it?

I've thought about this during my many trips through both Zanesville, Ohio and Cumberland, Maryland; small towns that to me, seem unusual to have an interstate cut through it with multiple interchanges. I assume there may be even smaller towns like these.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

Alex

Wallace, Idaho comes to mind. Interstate 90 travels along a viaduct hugging a mountainside just outside of downtown.

roadfro

Any of the towns along I-80 in rural Nevada would be likely candidates...Fernley, Lovelock, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain, Carlin, Wells, Wendover. Most of these have about 3 exits off of I-80 that are somewhat central to the town.

I guess it depends on the definition of the town and cutting through the middle. Most of the towns I mentioned have I-80 just skirting to one side of the developed areas (homes & businesses).

Elko is the only one of these communities that has a good number of homes on both sides of I-80. Although I'd guess that the homes on the north side came after the interstate was built, as there's far more development on the south side where original US 40 (now Idaho St/SR 535) passes through. 
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Not an Interstate but a freeway US 34 slices right past downtown Burlington Iowa and makes a direct connection to the strip development on US 61. Its 30,000 maybe a little smaller than Zanesville
The Bridge and the Bluffs made it possible.
Dubuque sort of but its larger and acess is not 100% controlled
I-74 cits rightthrough downtown Moline and Bettendorf -Small if counted as separate towns. It also runs through downtown Peoria and East Peoria.

corco

According to WYDOT data, I-80 does indeed clip the incorporation limits of Buford, Wyoming, population 1

Riverside Frwy

corco

That post office is also a gas station and former restaurant. Across the way (also within city limits) is a seasonal fireworks stand

Bickendan

Manned by the same employee/resident, right?

corco

I assume most of the workers commute from Vedauwoo

US71

Quote from: corco on February 21, 2010, 09:08:31 PM
According to WYDOT data, I-80 does indeed clip the incorporation limits of Buford, Wyoming, population 1

1 ? I was there 3 years ago, and I thought it was 2?

Buford is a jumping off point for the wilderness areas to the north: lots of camping, etc. Very rugged, very primitive.

The Buford Trading Post has almost everything you need: gas, deli, groceries... even FAX service.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

While nowhere near that small, I-80 does pass through the town limits of Bloomsburg, PA, but that's not a heavily developed part of town.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mgk920

There are OODLES of very tiny places, especially in the west, where the necessities of topography dictated that the interstate cut the town in half.  A fairly stark example that immediately comes to my mind is Pompeys Pillar, MT (I-94).

An interesting case here - although not an interstate, plans for the US 54/400 bypass freeway at Greensburg, KS changed when the city of about 1.4K was 95% destroyed by a tornado a few years ago.  While it was originally planned to take a fairly conventional routing around the city to the south, with nearly all of the city no longer there and in the way, their government decided to instead have it routed about halfway between their main street (existing US 54/400) and the railroad three blocks to the north.  The impetus was to have their rebuilt downtown area right next to, visible and easily accessible from the traffic that it will carry.

Mike

bugo

Quote from: mgk920 on February 21, 2010, 11:48:43 PM
An interesting case here - although not an interstate, plans for the US 54/400 bypass freeway at Greensburg, KS changed when the city of about 1.4K was 95% destroyed by a tornado a few years ago.  While it was originally planned to take a fairly conventional routing around the city to the south, with nearly all of the city no longer there and in the way, their government decided to instead have it routed about halfway between their main street (existing US 54/400) and the railroad three blocks to the north.  The impetus was to have their rebuilt downtown area right next to, visible and easily accessible from the traffic that it will carry.
And this road will no doubt built with a low speed limit.  The original true bypass would have been better.

Chris

Quote from: US71 on February 21, 2010, 11:37:38 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2261497185_f87425d1e9.jpg

A population decline of 50% in 3 years? Wyoming now officially belongs to the Rust Belt :D

Roadgeek Adam

Interstate 10 - Exit 159 of Plateau TX - Population: 5
Interstate 10 - Exit 166 - Boracho Station TX

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

corco

It's down to 1 now...once I get back to Wyoming I'll take a picture of the sign. Hard times hit Buford! Actually, the old trading post burnt down a few years ago, and when the new one was rebuilt, the population went from two to one

mgk920

Quote from: bugo on February 22, 2010, 02:40:03 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 21, 2010, 11:48:43 PM
And this road will no doubt built with a low speed limit.  The original true bypass would have been better.

I doubt that, as it will be built as a full, interstate-compatible freeway.

See: http://www.ksdot.org/Greensburg.asp for the latest KDOT info on this project.

Mike

Bickendan

Quote from: Chris on February 22, 2010, 03:32:44 AM
Quote from: US71 on February 21, 2010, 11:37:38 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2261497185_f87425d1e9.jpg

A population decline of 50% in 3 years? Wyoming now officially belongs to the Rust Belt :D
Well, there's my nomination for QOTW. One of my old Geography professors would be amused by that, too.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: corco on February 22, 2010, 08:11:27 AM
It's down to 1 now...once I get back to Wyoming I'll take a picture of the sign. Hard times hit Buford! Actually, the old trading post burnt down a few years ago, and when the new one was rebuilt, the population went from two to one

I'm surprised that Andy Field hasn't chimed in on the subject of Buford.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

Quote from: osu-lsu on February 22, 2010, 05:52:56 PM

I'm surprised that Andy Field hasn't chimed in on the subject of Buford.

Andy Field had better get himself alive!  :-D
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

in any case...

I need to find my photo of Johnsondale, CA (population 1 1/2) - but this is a sufficiently interesting lower bound.

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Now as soon as they build that Fairbanks-to-Nome interstate, Buford has some competition...

mapman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 22, 2010, 10:03:07 PM
I need to find my photo of Johnsondale, CA (population 1 1/2) - but this is a sufficiently interesting lower bound.

How'd they count a half-person?  Is it some sort of half-human, half-animal thing?   :confused:

Bickendan

Nah, probably a 'Nam vet. :meh:

agentsteel53

Quote from: mapman on February 23, 2010, 02:16:38 AM
How'd they count a half-person?  Is it some sort of half-human, half-animal thing?   :confused:

one full-time forest ranger, one seasonal.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.