News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

School districts that cross state or national boundaries

Started by bandit957, June 24, 2019, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

These do exist (somehow).

One of them is Delmar on the border between Maryland and Delaware. It includes the towns of Delmar, MD, and Delmar, DE - which are separate municipalities that share a city hall. But the school district is in 2 states.

I'm pretty sure College Corner on the border between Ohio and Indiana is another interstate school district and that the state line runs through the high school building.

I read once that the school district in Deming, NM, spread south into a Mexican border town - making it a rare school district that crosses national boundaries. The closest high school that was actually in Mexico was 150 miles away.

(I know some of these school districts have their own issues unrelated to crossing administrative boundaries, but a lot of schools these days do.)
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hotdogPi

South Hampton, NH and Amesbury, MA, at the elementary high school level (fixed)

There are also some on the NH/VT border, but I don't know which ones they are.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

ilpt4u

I would assume Exclaves on the Ohio or Mississippi would apply...

But I looked up Kaskaskia, IL, which is now west of the Mississippi (well, with all the rain, may very well be part of the Mississippi at this point)...and it is a part of the Chester, IL School District, back on the IL side of the Mississippi, so maybe not!

I don't even know what to call the Missouri Exclave that is just south of Grand Tower, IL - Google has it as Grand Tower Island, MO, and also a part of the Altenburg, MO School District, across the river. Long drive to get to school, unless a boat is utilized to get to the bus stop...According to the Google Maps Aerial, there is only 1 house there

CNGL-Leudimin

While the concept of "school district" is unknown in this part of the world, I know of at least three schools in my region of Aragon that feed into high schools located in other regions. Two are located along the Catalonia border, the other is near Navarre.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

DandyDan

Nothing exists near me, but I read once where Northwood-Kensett in Iowa had it all planned to merge with Glenville-Emmons in Minnesota, but the states wouldn't let it happen.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

NWI_Irish96

No Indiana school districts cross state lines.  Closest thing to it would be an athletic conference in the southeastern part of the state that includes one Illinois school district.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

I wonder how these districts work with differing education standards and testing from state-to-state.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Maybe the curriculum fulfills both state's requirements?
It seems to usually be small areas, and only about half of households are going to have school-age children.

I have some friends that go to a private school in a state other than the one they live in and have never heard of it being an issue.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 25, 2019, 07:52:55 AM
No Indiana school districts cross state lines.  Closest thing to it would be an athletic conference in the southeastern part of the state that includes one Illinois school district.
Southwestern part of Indiana.  Mount Carmel, IL has announced that it is withdrawing from that arrangement since they are needing to play more Illinois schools in order to be a part of the state tournament.  That's a big thing for them.  The change take effect 2020-2021 school year.

MikeTheActuary

I give you the elementary school zones of the Lloydminster AB/SK school district: https://www.lpsd.ca/download/10555

(50 Ave is the provincial boundary)

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on June 24, 2019, 10:05:20 PM
I read once that the school district in Deming, NM, spread south into a Mexican border town - making it a rare school district that crosses national boundaries. The closest high school that was actually in Mexico was 150 miles away.

Puerto Palomas (the nearby border town on the Mexican side) has all the way up through high school, as well as a tele-education school that's been in operation since 2017.  Not sure when the high school was founded.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

Junction City, AR takes the kids from the Louisiana side of the town.

Downsville, LA is located at the meeting point of 3 parishes. I believe their kids come from all 3 parishes.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ftballfan

Quote from: 1 on June 24, 2019, 10:19:39 PM
South Hampton, NH and Amesbury, MA, at the elementary school level

There are also some on the NH/VT border, but I don't know which ones they are.
South Hampton has its own elementary school, but high school students go to Amesbury, MA

Bruce

While the districts don't cross boundaries, these students do:

The famous U.S. exclave of Point Roberts, WA only has an elementary school covering up to the third grade. All older children are bussed across the Canadian border, driven through White Rock, BC, then re-enter the U.S. at Blaine to reach their schools; I imagine there's an expedited lane in place, but it would still take quite a long time because of the jams at Peace Arch and Pacific Crossing.

tdindy88

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 25, 2019, 07:52:55 AM

Actually, the College Corner area still is part of a joint school district with Union County, Indiana and the school on the state line is still being used by students in both states.

They just had this article in the Indianapolis Star today talking about that curiosity of that school, though I've seen other articles about it in the past as well: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/07/03/indiana-high-school-basketball-one-gym-two-states-and-infamous-shooter-gregg-doyel/1358727001/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.