News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

A few state-named interstate shields on BGSs here in Alabama:
(This first one was photographed by my brother, don't see too many mainline state-named interstate shields mounted on BGSs here!)
State-named I-65 Shield on BGS by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
State-named I-85 Shields on BGSs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
State-named I-85 Shield on a BGS by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Avalanchez71

I cannot find any of the two I-124 signs that were left in Chattanooga.   I look everytime I am that way.  I would guess they are long gone by now.  I know one had the state name on it.

DevalDragon

There are still some in Kentucky - including this pair in beautiful light at the former Welcome Center on southboung I-71/75.

Ian

I came across this set of I-465 shields this afternoon along Emerson Avenue in Indianapolis. Not too many of these left it seems...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cl94

Grabbed this one the other day. Add in a couple of old US route shields for good measure and we have something beautiful. Might be the last state name I-787 shield left.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Avalanchez71

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 12, 2016, 12:32:41 AM
A few state-named interstate shields on BGSs here in Alabama:
(This first one was photographed by my brother, don't see too many mainline state-named interstate shields mounted on BGSs here!)
State-named I-65 Shield on BGS by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
State-named I-85 Shield on a BGS by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I don't recall that CR 17 blue pentagon sign off of I-65 either.  I remember seeing a couple along I-65 but just not that one.

swbrotha100

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 30, 2016, 10:40:24 PM
Skimmed through the thread and tried to update things according to people's requests.
Alex, thanks for trying to be helpful in making this map as accurate as possible.  I'm thinking of putting an orange dot on Seattle and converting Washington state to red...and doing something similar for NYC.  If NYC had a colored dot, what color would it be?  In other words, how common are state-named shields in NYC?

Also, I think it's interesting that there are 4 blue states and 4 brown states, which are circumstantially opposites XD

I noticed that Colorado had newer looking shields along I-70 with the state name. Also, driving from Arizona to Maine recently, and from Illinois going east, I saw a grand total of ONE state-named shield (off I-84 in Connecticut) before getting into Maine.

cl94

Quote from: swbrotha100 on August 02, 2016, 09:43:33 PM
Also, driving from Arizona to Maine recently, and from Illinois going east, I saw a grand total of ONE state-named shield (off I-84 in Connecticut) before getting into Maine.

I don't know how the heck you went, but neutered shields in Connecticut are relatively rare.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: cl94 on August 02, 2016, 09:46:12 PM
Also, driving from Arizona to Maine recently, and from Illinois going east, I saw a grand total of ONE state-named shield (off I-84 in Connecticut) before getting into Maine.

I don't know how the heck you went, but neutered shields in Connecticut are relatively rare.
Neutered shields are as rare in Connecticut as named shields are in, say, Ohio.  :rolleyes:

P.S. How did 'neutered' shields get their name?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Alex

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 02, 2016, 10:56:48 PM

Neutered shields are as rare in Connecticut as named shields are in, say, Ohio.  :rolleyes:

P.S. How did 'neutered' shields get their name?

Andy made it up back when we first met in person in 2000.

formulanone

Found a state-named I-110 in Baton Rouge:

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on August 01, 2016, 11:54:53 PM
Grabbed this one the other day. Add in a couple of old US route shields for good measure and we have something beautiful. Might be the last state name I-787 shield left.

Dang.  I thought the last one was the one they removed from SB I-787 after the on-ramp from the Plaza.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on August 05, 2016, 02:20:49 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 01, 2016, 11:54:53 PM

Dang.  I thought the last one was the one they removed from SB I-787 after the on-ramp from the Plaza.

So did I. Granted, it's not in a spot that sees a lot of traffic.

CNGL-Leudimin

I believe neutered shields should be used if the Interstate is federally maintained. Since there are no such freeways, all Interstate shields should carry the state name. I'm looking at you, states colored red or brown in the map. Also, find a way to bring back state names to the US route shield for the same reason.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

AMLNet49

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 07, 2016, 05:29:54 AM
Also, find a way to bring back state names to the US route shield for the same reason.
Have to work on bringing "US" itself back outside of California first lol

paulthemapguy

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 07, 2016, 05:29:54 AM
I believe neutered shields should be used if the Interstate is federally maintained. Since there are no such freeways, all Interstate shields should carry the state name. I'm looking at you, states colored red or brown in the map. Also, find a way to bring back state names to the US route shield for the same reason.
I don't think that's going to clarify anything for the general public, who don't know that federal and Interstate routes are maintained by state entities.  Either people know it or they don't, and the text on road signs isn't going to help people to know it.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

CanesFan27

Quote from: Alex on June 27, 2016, 09:41:09 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on June 26, 2016, 11:13:31 AM
I have seen state named shields on both I-95 and I-40 (or roads leading up to them) in North Carolina over the recent months but they are few and far between to be sure. Although a small number of those were in good enough shape to be classified as recent installs and not left over relics, I am not sure if that alone would be good enough to change your ranking from none to occasionally.

The none could be amended to "none with very few exceptions". There is the infamous "State" shield assembly in TN, and Bickendan's post upthread about a state named shield in Oregon adds at least one for the state. But otherwise in states like those and in NC, finding state named shields is so extremely rare that it might as well be "none." I-26 for instance has one known shield, and that's an NPS based assembly. The newish I-540 that was installed in the 2000s by Raleigh has already been replaced, so even contractor errors don't always have a long life span in neutered states. Whatever paulthemapguy decides for the map description is fine with me. :)

The Knightdale NC I-540s were replaced when 540 went to 70 mph. They replaced ALL 540 shields and 65 mph signs at that time (there were some guide 540 shields - dating from when it was still a future route - around Leesville and Creedmoor Roads that were replaced at the same time..  The replacement was part of a larger project rather than a one off correction.  The November 2014 replacement of the 95 NC shields between exits 138 and 141 were specific to those signs only. 

swbrotha100

I traveled all of I-84 in CT. Maybe I was distracted. I just remember some long construction zones and heavy traffic.

cl94

Quote from: swbrotha100 on August 09, 2016, 02:56:48 PM

I traveled all of I-84 in CT. Maybe I was distracted. I just remember some long construction zones and heavy traffic.

I did EB west of I-91 the other day and I can confirm that there are several neutered shields in that direction. That section actually has most of the neutered shields I have seen in the entire state.

epzik8

Here are three on Interstate 81 northbound in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cl94

Of course, I found the opposite earlier today- a NEUTERED I-295 shield leaving the Freeport, Maine parking garage. If you weren't aware, all standalone shields in Maine get the name, as do most BGS shields.

freebrickproductions

Found this state-named I-65 shield in Franklin, KY yesterday:
State-named I-65 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

As a side note, this was also my first trip to Kentucky that I can remember.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Alex

Just back from a week long 5,000 mile trip, some notes:
Idaho is down to just one known state named shield as Jeff's I-86 at American Falls was replaced within the last month.
Finding a state named shield in Montana is next to impossible. Outside the few in Missoula, we found just one in Laurel and could not locate the last I-15 Jake spotted north of Shelby. The I-94's Jake found appear to be replaced as are the remaining ones in Billings.
South Dakota has probably a dozen or so for I-90 and two for I-29 in Brookings.
Colorado has a surprisingly higher number of neutered shields than I expected. I based my previous assessment of state named shields being nearly 100% from Jeff years ago, but now its more of like maybe 60/40?
The neutered shields in ND were mostly older installs, with the bulk showing the state name
Wyoming has a lot more neutered shields in place now as well. They used to be nearly 100% state named.

epzik8

I caught four today eastbound on U.S. Route 322 in southern New Jersey. The interstate was I-295.

epzik8

Hell has frozen over because I found one at home in Maryland! This is I-83 north around the Northern Parkway interchange in Baltimore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.