News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New NYS License Plate Design

Started by WNYroadgeek, November 10, 2009, 09:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNYroadgeek

The State of NY needs some money. Their solution, make every car registered in NYS pay a $25 fee on top of registration for new license plates. When you get your car registered you will be required to pay the fee. It will start with registration of April 2010.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/new_york/State_unveils_new_license_plate_design_20091110

mightyace

They go from a beautiful current plate to a simpler (read cheaper) new plate reminiscent of New York and Pennsylvania plates of the 1960s and 70s.

The "new" design looked good forty years ago.  Yet another reason not to live in NY state.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Ian

Aww, thats a real shame! I love those license plates! They new ones look terrible X-(
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Snappyjack

cu2010

QuoteThe State of NY needs some money. Their solution, make every car registered in NYS pay a $25 fee on top of registration for new license plates.

Yep, their solution...find ways to take taxpayer dollars, as opposed to cutting spending. Sounds like New York for you!  :ded:
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

agentsteel53

that is awful!  So much barrel distortion!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

Color and design changes - I don't like some of the current one or this one
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alex

Looks like the 1970s design reborn...

Ugly!  :thumbdown:

vdeane

Glad the registration on my car is good until 2011.  Though when I do need to re-register I'll have to pay $20 extra just to keep the same number (as my car is registered to park at my college until 2013).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

I think it sucks long enough that I didn't live long enough in New York to get the current edition of New York State plates(which I still think should've had some red mixed in with the white and blue). I once suggested some variations of the Sports or regional plates that contained different colors and backgrounds. I even had some for taxicabs and the Taxi & Limousine Commission that had a Checker cab in the background and black & white checkered stripes on the bottom.

burgess87

Quote from: deanej on November 11, 2009, 05:08:01 PM
Glad the registration on my car is good until 2011.  Though when I do need to re-register I'll have to pay $20 extra just to keep the same number (as my car is registered to park at my college until 2013).

Same here . . . my registration is good until August 2011.  The only good thing about this plate is that after 2011, every car will be rocking Sabres colors.   :D

Snappyjack

Mine is good until April of 2011. I don't think I'll be out of this dump by then, but here's to hoping! :-P

And burgess87, I like the icon you have there. Epic Fail indeed.

TXtoNJ

I actually kind of like it for the shout-out to the past design.

Dougtone

Quote from: burgess87 on November 12, 2009, 08:56:50 AM
Quote from: deanej on November 11, 2009, 05:08:01 PM

Same here . . . my registration is good until August 2011.  The only good thing about this plate is that after 2011, every car will be rocking Sabres colors.   :D

Or if you look at it as orange and blue, cars will be rocking New York Mets, Syracuse Orange, New York Knicks or New York Islanders colors.  :-D

I may just get a New York Islanders speciality license plate when I renew my registration next fall, since I'm not much of a fan of the new design.

Dougtone

Here's some follow up to the whole new NYS license plate issue.  Now, it appears that new license plates may not be required as Governor Paterson says he is open to not going ahead with new license plates if other cost cutting measures can be implemented.

For further reading, check out the article at... http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=866106

D-Dey65

Quote from: AARoads on November 10, 2009, 11:08:09 PM
Looks like the 1970s design reborn...

Ugly!  :thumbdown:

I don't know if I'd call them ugly, but they're certainly way too dated. I liked them when they first came out, and the only thing that disappointed me about them was the move of the registration sticker to the windshield. They may've been okay for the 1970's but not now.

shoptb1

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on November 10, 2009, 09:26:28 PM

The State of NY needs some money. Their solution, make every car registered in NYS pay a $25 fee on top of registration for new license plates. When you get your car registered you will be required to pay the fee. It will start with registration of April 2010.

Although I don't like the mandatory $25 registration fee requirement, for some reason...I kind of like the new throw-back plate.  I don't think it's hideous or anything....and at least it's not a autistic rendition like the 'Beautiful Ohio' plates.  Ugghh.

papaT10932

I actually like the retro look of these plates. No URL, so that's a plus! I just hope they are embossed and not flat-print.

cu2010

Quote from: papaT10932 on March 05, 2010, 10:17:17 AM
I actually like the retro look of these plates. No URL, so that's a plus! I just hope they are embossed and not flat-print.

They're neither, as they're non-existent. :D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

papaT10932

They're neither, as they're non-existent. :D

Perhaps you can clear this up. I've heard conflicting reports. I understand that they will be issued, but as an optional plate. (Which probably means, in a short time, they will become the standard issue).

Fixed quote. Slashes end.  ;-) -DTP

cu2010

Quote from: papaT10932 on March 05, 2010, 05:56:02 PM
Perhaps you can clear this up. I've heard conflicting reports. I understand that they will be issued, but as an optional plate. (Which probably means, in a short time, they will become the standard issue).

I was under the impression that Gov. Paterson killed it, but I looked more into it.  Apparently they will be issued for new registrations only- vehicles with the current plates on them will keep their current plates.

...which makes even less sense than making them a mandatory issue...

Snappyjack

Quote from: cu2010 on March 05, 2010, 11:11:27 PM
Quote from: papaT10932 on March 05, 2010, 05:56:02 PM

I was under the impression that Gov. Paterson killed it, but I looked more into it.  Apparently they will be issued for new registrations only- vehicles with the current plates on them will keep their current plates.

...which makes even less sense than making them a mandatory issue...

If I remember correctly, on CBS 6 News out of Albany(which I don't have the link to unfortunately), they said that one of the prisons who make the license plates didn't get the memo about them canceling out on the whole new plate deal, and they made them anyway. So the current plan is to, as said, have only new registrants receive and pay for new design license plates.

So it seems that New York will have two different designs of license plates now, for awhile at least.

SignBridge

Saw my first one on the road today. I'd forgotten all about them and it caught me by surprise. First of the 3 letters was an F. My registration expires this June, so I'm wondering what the current plan is. Seems to me they should replace them all at once or not at all. It doesn't make sense to have 2 different color plates for the same state for many years to come.

Hellfighter

papaT10932

I saw my first one on the road today too. The color scheme is too dark. Instead of navy and gold, they look black and orange. The figures are also too thin and do not contrast well. Although the samples online looked cool, the actual plates are ugly and very hard to read. Law enforcement is going to go nuts, I think, over these.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.