News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AARoads shield gallery updates

Started by agentsteel53, May 30, 2009, 01:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmsandw

Here is a picture of the I-579/376 shields from August, 2012.

http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

Billy F 1988

Some new potential MT Shield Gallery candidates

US 12

I-90/US 93/MT 200
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 16, 2009, 02:28:42 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 15, 2009, 09:07:00 AM
yes, yes we are.  didn't know there was a 77 left!

Alright, here's the picture.  You can add it to your gallery as long as you give me credit for it.

The picture was taken on 02/28/07.

Shields are now gone. :(  Checked out the location earlier today.  They have now been replaced with a new non-state named pair. :no:

FightingIrish

A few more candidates for the gallery of some very new routes. So new that the signs weren't even supposed to go up yet (Interstate 41 is still pending approval). Nonetheless, WisDOT signed it for a day on a new overpass, then quickly covered up the shields.

But not before yours truly snapped a pic for AARoads:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=350.msg236549#msg236549

I also do have better quality images if needed.

As an added bonus, in the post below it, a construction zone US 45 shield done on as a Wisconsin route.

And AARoads does have my permission to use these images, so long as no money is being made directly off it (then I'll demand my cut. ;) ).

formulanone

Molandfreak

Quote from: FightingIrish on August 06, 2013, 11:22:58 AM
(Interstate 41 is still pending approval).
No, it's approved. Once completed to interstate standards, it can be redesignated as I-41.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Big John

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 06, 2013, 10:45:12 PM
No, it's approved. Once completed to interstate standards, it can be redesignated as I-41.
I think he means congressional approval to waive weight limits for the interstate highway.  WisDOT would withdraw the application if that is not passed.

FightingIrish

Quote from: Molandfreak on August 06, 2013, 10:45:12 PM

What I meant is final approval. The entire route is already up to interstate standards. All that's left is an environmental study, some paperwork to be filed, and a Senate waiver of the weight limit (a Wisconsin stipulation). Otherwise, yes, it is approved as an interstate, and the approved number is I-41. They just can't sign it quite yet.

jbnv

How does one submit shields? Just post them here?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

formulanone

I use the forum's private message system.

Atomica

The example with the I-41 shields reminds me of how one BGS in Sacramento was created with US99 instead of CA99 headed south to Fresno - - - but that was quickly corrected.  To a lesser extent it reminds me of the blue bags that covered the I-49 markers when they first went up along US71 here in Missouri...
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

andy3175

Some Mountain West regional shield and sign photos are posted on the AARoads webpage:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.474861882947.261621.181045197947&type=3

Enjoy!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

D-Dey65

andy3175

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 29, 2015, 11:31:56 PM
Is it just a Wyoming thing to have mileage supplements beneath route shields?

https://www.facebook.com/aaroads/photos/a.474861882947.261621.181045197947/10151619326272948/?type=3&theater

I have seen this in other places, usually in one or 1/2 mile increments, such as California and Arizona. It's not too common to see the increments in feet. One example is Junction California 53 signs found along California 20 near the city of Clearlake. I'd have to go looking around to try to find you other good examples, but I have seen them.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

D-Dey65

Ahh, I see.

I like this one, though.

https://www.facebook.com/aaroads/photos/a.474861882947.261621.181045197947/10153556107347948/?type=3&theater

You've got the mix of the white and yellow lettering on the brown background. I still remember FHWA getting on NYSDOT's case for using yellow lettering on brown signs in the Adirondacks and Catskills.

spitball

I emailed these to Jake.  I just got this 1926 spec NJ Route 27 shield:

And this more modern NJ Route 28 shield was found leaning against my neighbor's trash can a few years ago.

Alex

Jake doesn't update the shield gallery anymore. I haven't either in a long time...

The script is hosed and until its revised, it is probably not going to be updated.

formulanone

Quote from: Alex on November 29, 2016, 11:33:15 PM
Jake doesn't update the shield gallery anymore. I haven't either in a long time...

The script is hosed and until its revised, it is probably not going to be updated.

Is there any chance of creating a photo gallery of the shields? Or something where users can contribute?

(Although, I guess it would need moderation.)

US71

Quote from: formulanone on November 30, 2016, 12:22:36 AM

Is there any chance of creating a photo gallery of the shields? Or something where users can contribute?

Maybe a photosharing site that's open?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alex

I hired a programmer to redo the script to both make the gallery mobile friendly and easier to update. I had it in mind also to open it to contributers. But months later, still waiting for him to complete that and other site work...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on November 30, 2016, 12:26:25 AM

Maybe a photosharing site that's open?

Or even a thread on here that can be used until the script errors are resolved?  Once it's fixed just upload all the contributions. 

spitball

Thanks for the replies updating us on the situation.   The gallery is nifty....I'm excited to potentially contribute.   Hopefully the fixed scripting or another solution can be implemented.

Alex

Quote from: spitball on November 30, 2016, 04:04:30 PM
Thanks for the replies updating us on the situation.   The gallery is nifty....I'm excited to potentially contribute.   Hopefully the fixed scripting or another solution can be implemented.

In the meantime I'll try to get some more progress with the programmer I hired...

Alex

Quote from: Alex on November 30, 2016, 08:52:47 PM

In the meantime I'll try to get some more progress with the programmer I hired...

I am meeting with him on Saturday evening. He asked me this morning about the shield gallery and what I wanted to do with it. Was thinking of keeping the format similar, but with a better rendering method (which will be accomplished via Wordpress). As for changes or enhancements, I'm open to suggestions. And if he knows flash, I'll inquire about having the shield generator fixed (which Jake is in support of already).

TravelingBethelite

I am indeed also interested/intrigued in contributing. Thank you for notifying us on the updates!  :thumbsup:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.